Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I'll keep mine for the simple fact that it will be the only release to carry the 2002 version. Not that I'll be in a hurry to watch it again, but it's nice to keep a record of its existence. We only got the 2002 version in Australia anyway.

E.T. Blu-ray details!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8821

Doesn't look like too much in the way of new extras, and it is now confirmed to ONLY have the 1982 THEATRICAL EDITION! For the win! It does however include the 2 deleted scenes featured in the 2002 version in the bonus features. I think this is great, but will definitely hold onto the 2002 version DVD just to have the alternate version to look back on, as well as for the 2002 recording of the live score on it which isn't featured here of course. I'm trying to figure out exactly which other bonus features will be missing compared to the previous DVD releases (including the "ultimate box set").

Depending on how bulky these steel ones turn out to be, I might have to get the pair. But I'll stick to the standard editions if they would look like travesties on my shelf. Jesus, this is gonna mean a... visit to the shops.

By the way, who watches blurays in ipod, ipad, iphone etc?

Are all these necessary (eg for the E.T. release)?

seriously now.. when i watch a film, I like to get the most of it (technically at first).

yeah, right, I meant the digital copies..

anyway, does anyone know what else is missing from the extras except the live score of course (since we don't have the 2002 film too)?

I got Fincher's version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other day as well as, for comparison, the Swedish version. Still can't say which one I like better. I do know which score I prefer, though. While grating, throbbing noises may be appropriate for some of the scenes in the American version, the story actually has moments of quite different emotions, which imo are simply not adequately addressed or even counteracted. There is this scene at the beginning when Frode is introduced to Salander which is scored with pretty much the same "music" as the later blowjob scene; at the end of the former scene it's hard to stand it any longer for me. No matter how much I try, I can't find any reason at all to do this. It's just a business conversation, not very sinister, certainly not appalling or difficult to watch, so why the rape music? I had to laugh though when I listened to Fincher's (overall very good) audio commentary. When talking about the blowjob scene, he mentions that the score reminded him so much of a floor polishing machine that he included one in the background of the scene (I guess the score was there before the movie was shot, then?). I'm renewing my offer to score his next movie. We have some great machines in the museum basement here, and I'm totally capable of using a keyboard to play some random succession of notes :-)

The featurette on JW conducting the 20th anniversary premiere seems to be gone. Hang on to your DVDs.

UPDATE: the JW 20th anniversary featurette will be included as well.

https://www.facebook...430177433679158

Oops, I didn't see this was already on the main page... :blush:

7 movies released (5 new Bluray releases) in July 31

The Misfits

Some Like It Hot

How to Marry A Millionaire

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

The Seven Year Itch

There’s No Business Like Show Business

River of No Return

46688_back.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forever-Marilyn-Blu-ray/46688/

I forgot, I have The Misfits on DVD. Not very good that one but the mustang scenes are visually pretty impressive. But Blu-ray? No.

well, I've gathered from other threads too that many here don't watch so much classics in comparison with most contemporary films.

But classics (when get a good restoration) look magnificent in Bluray (eg. Ben Hur, Cleopatra, ten commnadments, Pillow talk etc.)

I'll be picking up Some Like It Hot sooner or later. I have it on DVD, but the age of a film doesn't change the fact that on a large screen, Blu-ray looks much more like film than the overly digital (due to its low resolution) DVD.

I've never seen Panic Room or Zodiac.

Lee - who finds Fincher hit and miss.

He's got a small repertoire. What do you like and what don't you?

It's hard for me to rank his films because each brings something unique to the table, but Zodiac is definitely one of my favorites. Panic Room is pretty solid entertainment, but not in a light way. It deals with some dark stuff but Fincher's visual style is just too cool here. Not to mention Shore's awesome brooding score, I wish they never split.

The Game was good, although I was snogging a date pretty much throughout in the theater (Sarah - she broke my heart!), Seven was a good thriller; if a little overrated and Alien 3 isn't THAT bad. That's all I've seen.

The Game was good, although I was snogging a date pretty much throughout in the theater (Sarah - she broke my heart!), Seven was a good thriller; if a little overrated and Alien 3 isn't THAT bad. That's all I've seen.

So this will be your first time with Fight Club? Thriller is where Fincher excels, The Game and Seven both being excellent examples. You should definitely check out his more refined films - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and The Social Network. I have yet to see his take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Nah Koray, I've seen Fight Club about eight times. I definitely will watch those three you mentioned, because I've fancied them for ages. Well; not Social Network so much, but I must say I have become mildly intrigued by the thought of it.

The Social Network just arrived two days ago. The only Fincher I haven't seen yet.

Aside from being a brilliant film on its own, with great performances all around, Fight Club is the one film I've seen that's virtually indistinguishable from its book source. The ending differs (deliberately - apparently Fincher prefers the film ending), and there are, as far as I remember, two brief scenes in the book that didn't make it into the film (one of which was scripted though) - but the rest is nearly identical. There's hardly a line in the book that's not in the movie, and hardly anything in the movie that differs in any significant way from what the novel says.

This was the first Palahniuk novel I read, and while it was great, I was disappointed in a way, because it offered nothing new. Which isn't anybody's fault, only a result of the film being so true to its source.

Speaking of Palahniuk, what happened to the film adaption of Snuff that was supposed to be in production a while ago? This was one of the best (and absurdly original) Palahniuks I read. My favourite probably being Rant.

I have added Smokey and the Bandit and the Sting(digibook) to my wishlists for blu. I will pick up a couple of Steelcase blus this week with some Dark Knight cash

Jeez the list of films that I want is many.

Jaws, ET, Airport, Indiana Jones and and the series that went on two films too long, Titanic, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Buck Privates........

yeah me, too..

Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones, Titanic, Evita, Empire of the Sun, Singin in the Rain, Total Recall

Also the Hitchcock box set with 14 films, Monroe 7 film box set, Bond Set.

and I can't afford all these.. :crymore:

The Bond set is a cool $187 on Amazon. That's around $7 per film I think.

187 / 22 = $8.5/film, not $7

Not bad.... but I'm holding out for lower.

There's a 14 film Hitchcock set on Blu?!

Yes. I had said about that some posts before (maybe in the previous page)

It's being released in Germany in the end of the year:

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/45101/

it contains:

Saboteur / Shadow of a Doubt / Rope / Rear Window / The Trouble with Harry / The Man Who Knew Too Much / Vertigo / Psycho / The Birds / Marnie / Torn Curtain / Topaz / Frenzy / Family Plot

well, it's a John Williams Bluray Year:

Jaws 1 & 2, Et., Indiana Jones, Empire of the Sun, Family Plot

I wish they would release Spacecamp soon too. I love that film..

There's a 14 film Hitchcock set on Blu?!

Yes. I had said about that some posts before (maybe in the previous page)

It's being released in Germany in the end of the year:

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/45101/

it contains:

Saboteur / Shadow of a Doubt / Rope / Rear Window / The Trouble with Harry / The Man Who Knew Too Much / Vertigo / Psycho / The Birds / Marnie / Torn Curtain / Topaz / Frenzy / Family Plot

Awesome! Seems to be the previous DVD set upgraded. Hopefully the U.S. gets a simultaneous release, a lot of his films have been released separately here. I much prefer a set.

187 / 22 = $8.5/film, not $7

Not bad.... but I'm holding out for lower.

Close enough, and $8.50 per film is not low enough?

HomeAlone202.jpg

Cheapskate.

Under $15 and I'm good. I expect you'll find your better deal Black Friday 2013 or with a random Gold Box Deal of the Day. The former is more likely considering Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings have yet to have any real sales. $10 off my ass.