Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Yea my only exceptions to that rule are Criterions, Disney/Pixar, and elaborate box sets (like the Ultimate Harry Potters). But you can eventually get any regular blu ray release for $4-$8 if you wait patiently and/or deal-hunt.

Yup. And with a pile of blu rays on my shelf I have not watched yet, I hardly ever have a reason to rush out and get one immediately.

Criterion is my only exception, since they rarely go below $20.

do you collect criterions? :)

Kinda, my Criterion collection is probably way above average. I think it takes up a shelf and a half. Click here to browse it.

Yea my only exceptions to that rule are Criterions, Disney/Pixar, and elaborate box sets (like the Ultimate Harry Potters). But you can eventually get any regular blu ray release for $4-$8 if you wait patiently and/or deal-hunt.

The only Disney titles I bit on were The Lion King and The Incredibles. They overcharge like crazy. If I spend $25 on a Criterion title, I never feel robbed, yet I somehow always do with Disney. Maybe it's simply because I don't love their films enough to get my money's worth. With box sets, unless it's an already reasonable I'll wait until it hits Gold Box. No way am I paying $75 for Indiana Jones or The Lord Of The Rings.

Yup. And with a pile of blu rays on my shelf I have not watched yet, I hardly ever have a reason to rush out and get one immediately.

Same here.

Kinda, my Criterion collection is probably way above average. I think it takes up a shelf and a half. Click here to browse it.

whoa. great stuff.

I'm currently craving the bergman: four masterworks box. I'll probably wait till christmas though...

whoa. great stuff.

I'm currently craving the bergman: four masterworks box. I'll probably wait till christmas though...

Well The Seventh Seal and Smiles Of A Summer Night are on Blu. I'm sure the others won't be too far behind. I'll be ecstatic when they finally get Badlands out. It just has to be coming. So glad to see The Royal Tenenbaums announced, now all that's left for Anderson is The Life Aquatic.

I picked up the Shawshank Redemption Steelbook and Batman Begin's Steelbook for 9.99 each and the Poltergeist Digibook for 14.99.

Got some Dark Knight Rises cash.

Was thinking about picking up Begins as I still only have it on DVD. If its got movie cash than that's a buy for me. I doubt any theater will accept it for the midnight show that I'll go to but I'm sure I'll want to see it again.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8930

In October, Warner Home Entertainment will bring Little Shop of Horrors to Blu-ray. This 1986 adaptation of Howard Ashman and Alan Menken's popular off-Broadway musical - which, in turn, took its inspiration from Roger Corman's 1960 cult classic - stars Rick Moranis (Ghostbusters) as Seymour Krelborn, a meek florist who forms an unusual bond with a man-eating plant called Audrey II (voiced by Four Tops member Levi Stubbs).

Warner will include two digitally remastered versions of the film on one disc - the theatrical edition and a director's cut, which features a restored twenty-minute alternate ending. The Blu-ray also contains the following supplements:

• Commentary by director Frank Oz
  • Frank Oz and Little Shop of Horrors: The Director's Cut introduction
  • A Story of Little Shop of Horrors behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Outtakes
  • Deleted scenes
  • Theatrical trailers

Huge fan of this movie, I could quote it from beginning to end when I was a kid. Doesn't even matter that it's a digibook (the only other one I have is Citizen Kane, so it'll be in good company), day one purchase. :)

the Howard Hughes obsession, very entertaining film!

Ti Tanic's release date is moved a few days ahead to 09-10-12

Grabbed a bunch of titles at bargain price (9€ each): War of the Worlds, Inception, Pulp Fiction and North By Northwest.

I also noticed the Jurassic Park films has been released as single discs, all with their extra features ported over (I thought they were available only as a boxset).

well, not here either, but I mostly make my BLuray purchases from the internet (amazon.com, play.com, amazon.co.uk)

It's very expensive here in Greece.

Some times the triple amount of that in Amazon.

(eg. I purchesd Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 for 20 euros in amazon, and if I got the 2 movies from here, it would be 62 euros!!!)

The Twilight time Blurays' price for which many are complaining, is the regular price of BLurays here..

I wanted the Sting digibook, but I found the Sting at walmart for 11.96 with the blu and dvd and all the features.

couldn't pass that up

ΟΗ......ΜΥ..........GOD!!!!!

(worrying though for those cases. Look like cupboard cases)

Universal's 14-movie Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection Blu-ray set is available to pre-order for the first of October on Amazon UK now. The handsome package includes hours of bonus features, a collectible 15 page hardback book, art cards, costume sketches, correspondence, photographs and more.

48461_slip.jpg

Don't think it's been mentioned here...

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Blu-ray Exclusive Spaceship Limited Edition

Universal is releasing an Exclusive to Amazon Limited Spaceship Edition of the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc of Steven Spielberg's E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) in Germany. The Collectible set is available to pre-order from Amazon.de for its 25th of October release for the price of €159.99

Bonus material included on the disc:

• Steven Spielberg & ET: A brand new interview with Steven Spielberg, in which he talks about his work with the children and talks about his current and comprehensive view of ET.
  • The ET Journal: Behind the Scenes material of the Oscar winner John Toll (cinematographer). This piece gives the audience the unique feeling of being on location and experience with stress, as it was offset to shoot the aliens.
  • Deleted Scenes
  • A Look Back: Making-Of, including interviews with Cast and Crew
  • The ET Reunion: The reunion: Cast and crew meet and express their thoughts on film.
  • The Evolution and Creation of ET: From idea to script, about the casting to the shooting.
  • The Music of ET: A Discussion with John Williams: interviews and footage of the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
  • The 20th Anniversary Premiere: The composer John Williams on the occasion of the premiere of the new release of the film ET ET live music played at the Shrine Auditorium. This section allows us to look behind the scenes of this performance.
  • Original Trailer

915rnI3Ug2L._AA1500_.jpg

The only new extra features are the Spielberg interview and the full John Toll behind-the-scenes footage (part of which was used in the 1996 Laserdisc and the 2002 DVD documentaries). All the other extras are ported over from the previous DVD release.

The only new extra features are the Spielberg interview and the full John Toll behind-the-scenes footage (part of which was used in the 1996 Laserdisc and the 2002 DVD documentaries). All the other extras are ported over from the previous DVD release.

Pfft.

And that "replica" is hideously tacky.

This is the US box that adds North By Northwest into the set!

Which one do you prefer?

45102_large.jpg

While the exact technical specifications are still unknown for the individual discs, Universal's press release notes that the fifteen pictures have been "digitally restored from high-quality film elements."

in addition to the lots of extras in the individual discs, Torn Curtain features

Selected scenes scored by Bernard Herrmann

No isolated score unfortunately for Family Plot.

I want Sabatour and Sabatoge from Hitchcock, neither are GREAT films, but both are entertaining as hell.

Well, the other Hitchcock box is obviously better-looking. The American box seems more compact and practical, even if it appears like they just ran out of room for Hitchcock's name with a big font size. I wish we were getting another new movie instead of North By Northwest.

The E.T. spaceship from the German set is awful. Looks like a big McDonald's toy, grossly inaccurate to the legendary McQuarrie ship. The thrusters are comically oversized.