What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

bullsh**.

Print quality unless its virtually unwatchable, does not affect my like or dislike of the film. Even if its unwatchable, I know enough if I like it or not, and whether I'll search out a better print.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no problem with stating that he watches a particular film on Blu-Ray. Why do you consider it to be boasting on Koray's part? Would stating that one watched a film on VHS Tape be considered bragging, as well? I mean no hostility.

I thought the editing fit very well and was appropriate. Pretty much all of it was subtitled, so which parts did you not understand. The interrogation scenes?

A good amount of it was subtitled, but "pretty much all of it"? Not even close. Which parts did I have trouble understanding? About two-thirds of the English-speaking scenes.

I had the same problem with Trainspotting. It's a Danny Boyle thing, I guess.

Funnily I rarely have trouble with accents in movies. Then again I did spend a few years in Scotland as a kid. I have only seen bits and pieces of Slumdog but the Indian accent isn't one that usually gives me trouble too. Lol

Okay, thats for YOU. For ME, it effects my overall enjoyment.

Yes, but didn't you shout from the rooftops that you only buy Blu-ray? Aren't we to expect that this is how you watch all your movies from now on (besides from your theatrical visits, of course)?

And let me guess, you have a PS3. Am I right?

The Aviator: Now that I knew what to expect, I enjoyed it. But I stand by my opinion, it's not really a Scorsese movie for me. The style of storytelling and directing is too explicit, even biopic-ish.

Alex

High Anxiety:

Like most Mel Brooks films, it had several hilarious moments, but as a whole the film felt very long and it isn't something I'd ever want to see more than once. My favorite parody was the shower scene moment, because of how Brooks took the effort to get a shot by shot replication of the original. The music was great, very Herrmannesque, I would buy a CD were it released. So it was worth watching, and good for a few laughs, but nothing special. 3/5 stars

Masked and Anonymous

About as bad a movie as I've ever seen. I'd only recommend this to the hardest of hard-core Bob Dylan fans, and even them I'd caution them to prepare to be embarrassed.

I might also recommend the movie to hard-core fans of either Jeff Bridges or John Goodman, who prove how good they really are by sounding almost natural delivering preposterously bad dialogue.

No Country for Old Men.

George W. Bush is hunted down by some psychotic mop-head stealing his shtick from Two-Face. The real Two-Face is in the movie too, but he doesn't really do anything, he just watches on and realizes he can't do jack about fighting crime anymore, hence the title.

If only Batman was there to save the day.

Call it.

The Aviator: Now that I knew what to expect, I enjoyed it. But I stand by my opinion, it's not really a Scorsese movie for me. The style of storytelling and directing is too explicit, even biopic-ish.

It's certainly not a bona fide Scorsese movie. But I do think that it is an exceptional bio-pic, far above the usual grade. In fact, I think it's one of the best straight bio-pics I've ever seen. And it's got one of my favorite scores in recent years, even if it exists as a complete score only on the album.

It's a bit sad though. Imagine the headlines:

Titanic Heart-Throb Employs Taxi Driver Director

Leo To Rehire Taxi Driver Director for His Upcoming Vehicle 'The Departed'

Just watched HELLBOY II again, god that's a great movie. It's a rare superhero movie indeed that can get away with featuring Barry Manilow karaoke.

I am planning on renting that today from Blockbuster. I heard the score mix was pretty bad, is that true?

Okay, thats for YOU. For ME, it effects my overall enjoyment.

Yes, but didn't you shout from the rooftops that you only buy Blu-ray? Aren't we to expect that this is how you watch all your movies from now on (besides from your theatrical visits, of course)?

And let me guess, you have a PS3. Am I right?

I didn't shout from the rooftops, but yes, I don't buy DVD's anymore nor watch them unless it's something I really love. And anyone that's been in the Other Topics section knows I have a PS3.

Masked and Anonymous

About as bad a movie as I've ever seen. I'd only recommend this to the hardest of hard-core Bob Dylan fans, and even them I'd caution them to prepare to be embarrassed.

I might also recommend the movie to hard-core fans of either Jeff Bridges or John Goodman, who prove how good they really are by sounding almost natural delivering preposterously bad dialogue.

I loved Masked & Anonymous. It's been awhile since I last watched it though, so maybe my opinion has changed. Have you seen I'm Not There yet?

Just watched HELLBOY II again, god that's a great movie. It's a rare superhero movie indeed that can get away with featuring Barry Manilow karaoke.

I am planning on renting that today from Blockbuster. I heard the score mix was pretty bad, is that true?

It's not amazing, but it's not terrible. At least it was okay for me.

has anybody else seen The Escapist? with Brian Cox, Seu Jorge, Damian Lewis?

I forgot to say that it was one of my favorites from last year but I haven't heard of anyone else seeing it.

In Bruges

Funny movie, and I liked that the style of humour was not something you see in many other movies. Can anyone recommened me movies of a similar style?

Also, did anybody watch the deleted scenes on the dvd? What was up with the headless teddy bear thing?

Is that the movie with the giant vagina?

Hmm, I don't think so.

It is! Hable Con Ella was called Talk To Her in the US and it has the scene with the giant vagina! I saw it in theaters in 2002.

That's about as modest as Almodovar can manage...

Haha, I've only seen Talk To Her and Bad Education. Been meaning to see Volver, but haven't yet

Well to be fair, the movie really isn't ABOUT giant vaginas... there just is one in one scene (in a movie within the movie, no less)

.. I have a PS3.

Very good for Blu-ray but mediocre at upconverting SD.

You either go HD or stick with SD. Smoothing and upscaling is fake HD. Doesn't make sense to me.

That's nonsense, KS. Film fans want good upscaling because most titles aren't available in Blu-ray. Just check the HT forums, a lot of the questions are about what HD players offer good upscaling.

Alex

Well to be fair, the movie really isn't ABOUT giant vaginas... there just is one in one scene (in a movie within the movie, no less)

I remember giant breasts. If you like, I can check my DVD for the vagina.

and upscaled DVD actually looks pretty damned good.

Some players excel at upscaling due to special quality chips like the HQV Reon or the Faroudja DCDi.

Alex

Actually, there is a story told in the movie about a man who shrinks, and in the end pleases a woman by entering her vagina. So, theoretically, the vagina is normal size. Though the set builders must had a blast.

Wow, I can't believe you don't remember the giant vagina! It's how the silent movie Benigno is telling the coma girl about ends.

Wow, I can't believe you don't remember the giant vagina! It's how the silent movie Benigno is telling the coma girl about ends.

I do remember the breasts! That must count for something!

Caught Me, Myself And Irene on TV last night. I love that movie.

The soft serve ice cream sends me to the floor howling every time.

<_< The whole movie sends me to the floor. My favorite scene is when he tries to kill the cow.

Rented the new 'Two films by Michael Powell' DVD. First film is A Matter of Life and Death (1946). Co-directed with Pressburger, the film is about an airman (David Niven), who miraculously survives a great jump from his destroyed airplane, without a parachute. The man then enters into an affair with the radio-lady who heard what he thought would be his last words. The story then has two currents. Niven has hallucinations (or not, it's really immaterial) that the French angel who was supposed to conduct him to heaven couldn't see him in the English fog, and wants to take him to heaven where he is supposed to be. He is granted a trial to make his case, because of his new-found love. This coincides with a neurologist fearing he has brain damage, and wants to operate.

I was not swept up by it. And I'm really sorry about that, since the story is so imaginative and magical and optimistic. It's not really like any other film I've seen. For instance, the scenes on earht are in gorgeous technicolor, but the scenes in heaven are all in black & white. And there's plenty of visual invention in the film. I never got to caring about the characters, unfortunately (except for Roger Livesey, who was disposed of rather heartlessly), and the film lost me almost entirely when it went into WWII propoganda about America and England.

Second film was Powell's last, Age of Consent (1967). Starring James Mason as an Australian painter who goes to a remote island for a vacation, and is inspired to paint by a teenager on the island, played by Helen Mirren in her debut film performance. The film is almost to breezy to make an impact. But Mason and his obsession (not in a negative sense of the word) with painting Mirren is very interesting to watch, and Mirren seems to know exactly what she's doing as the girl.

Both movies kind of swept over me, not unpleasantly, but not in the way that I was expecting from the director of Peeping Tom and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, two movies I've seen recently that became favorites.

Also saw Doubt. I liked it. But trying to think it over and analyze it, I can't think of an entirely positive thing to say. Streep was very good....but her last scene undercut her character. Viola Davis was good...but the ramifications of her scene were not really followed up with. The lighting was precise and beautiful...but there are these terribly obvious tilted shots that just suck. The music was good...but there was far too little of it, almost none in the second half. Stephanie Zacharek of Salon came close to expressing my feelings in her review:

Nothing in "Doubt" -- which Shanley directed, adapting his own Pulitzer Prize-winning stage play -- is certain, definitive or clear. Least of all the filmmaking.

The film doesn't really side with Streep or Hoffman, with regard to who's right, which is strange since it's the job of director's of the play to make up their mind as to who is right and have it influence how the play is run.

Also saw Doubt. I liked it. But trying to think it over and analyze it, I can't think of an entirely positive thing to say. Streep was very good....but her last scene undercut her character. Viola Davis was good...but the ramifications of her scene were not really followed up with. The lighting was precise and beautiful...but there are these terribly obvious tilted shots that just suck. The music was good...but there was far too little of it, almost none in the second half. Stephanie Zacharek of Salon came close to expressing my feelings in her review:
Nothing in "Doubt" -- which Shanley directed, adapting his own Pulitzer Prize-winning stage play -- is certain, definitive or clear. Least of all the filmmaking.

They were Dutch angles, meant to be tilted. Acting was excellent, Amy Adams being by favorite of the four. The score wasn't anything special, mostly due to the fact that there's only 15 minutes of it. And like you said, good cinematography, which is excepted when Deakins is on board. Overall it's a well-made and fairly strong film. I wouldn't call it Best Picture worthy though.

The film doesn't really side with Streep or Hoffman, with regard to who's right, which is strange since it's the job of director's of the play to make up their mind as to who is right and have it influence how the play is run.

I felt like the film in the end sided with the priest. I found the last scene with Streep to be so demeaning to her character, and a clear effort to undercut the character's presence. I felt like Shanley undercut his own film (play, too, perhaps, I couldn't say) in order to get in an agenda, and he did it at the expense of his characters. Streep was cheated in very similar way in 2007's awful Lions for Lambs (her and Tom Cruise's characters are both simplified and belittled by the ending). I did not like the director's personality on display in this film. Yet another 2008 prestige movie the underwhelmed me. Milk better be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

They were Dutch angles, meant to be tilted.

Yes. And I was questioning their reason for being there. They hurt Shanley's credibility. He didn't trust me to know something was amiss without tilting the camera.