Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

complete "Bridge Confrontation", complete "Indy's Very First Adventure"

Well, minus the percussion music

complete Crusade finale, including "Right Choice, Wrong Choice".

Well, minus the "Henry Is Shot" piece that kicks off the whole finale

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is beggers can't be choosers (and clearly I'm not overly familiar with the unreleased Indy stuff). I'm looking forward to this box being a revelation to me. It's just a little off-putting reading depressing posts around here.

there is never before seen footage of Williams swinging his baton in the rec. booth at 1:47 for anyone interested :lol:

That man knows how to have fun. :)

Hooray, a countdown to Veteran's Day!

It's also the Independence Day here in Poland. :)

Is that Michael Palin in your sig?

Yep that's him with my city in the background.

Chris, who wishes he had taken that picture ;)

I can only assume it would have nudged TEMPLE above the 90 minute re-use fee limit, having the end credits duplicated on that disc.

Sure, they could have included the unreleased Indy/Shorty counterpoint then ended the cue before it rehashes 'Slave Children's Crusade'.. but.. they also could have had 90 minutes of unreleased music and we could have relied on the plentiful FLACs and MP3s available of the original OST cues for the rest. But hey, that isn't very marketable for new fans.

But so are all the good things: both "Bad Dates" and "The Poisoning" in the same cue, both "Indy Rides The Statue" and "Discovery of the Ark" in the same set, complete "Short Round Helps", complete "Bridge Confrontation", complete "Indy's Very First Adventure", complete Crusade finale, including "Right Choice, Wrong Choice". I know I've done my fair share of complaining about this set, but I think it's time to just forget about what might be/is wrong with it and instead focus on everything that's right about it. Who could have predicted this time last year that we would be getting over 40 minutes of unreleased material from Temple of Doom! That in itself is wonderful enough. I say bring on November 11.

Exactly, that's why I don't see point of making fuss about some missing notes here and there. This set is still the best thing that could happen to a JW fan this year. :)

I too believe it's hard and probably unfair to complain about this boxset. We're getting a huge amount of unreleased stuff that until a few months ago all of us could only dream about. So, even though I have a few reservations about some choices (edited "Desert Chase", incomplete ToD finale and a couple of tracks that will still remain unreleased), I really can't wait to have this set in my hands and be able to finally blast all five discs on my stereo system for my listening pleasure (and also compile my own personal editions of all of them :))

• Shanghai, 1935 [0:14] - Can be ripped cleanly from the DVD!
  • Fast Streets Of Shanghai (missing section) [0:10] - Can be ripped cleanly from the DVD! (11:26-11:36) It belongs at 0:46 into the track.
  • The Starving Village [1:12] - Can be ripped cleanly from the DVD! (19:57-21:09) It belongs blended into the end of "Slalom On Mt Humol"
  • A Plea For Help [2:14] - Can be ripped from DVD (22:47-25:01), can't remember how clean
  • They Stole The Children (Alternate) [3:23] - Is available clean in the Lego files, though I'm not sure if its complete or if that time is right.
  • The Maharajah [0:37] - Can be ripped cleanly from DVD, until the end which blends in with source music
  • The Feast [1:04] - Is actually 6 separate tracks, all of which blend in with source music in the film
  • A True Believer [5:35] - Can be ripped from the DVD (1:12:01-1:17:36), for the most part pretty clean, but certain sections have all kinds of noise and voices over them. A shame this cue wasn't included on disc 5.
  • Bridge Percussion [2:05?] - Plays for 2:05 in the movie (1:43:16-1:45:21), but I think the full recording is longer (as evident in the Lego files I believe)

None of these can be ripped cleanly without somekind of ambiance noise

I have to completely disagree with you.... "Shanghai 1935" and the "Fast Streets" insert are 100% completely sound-effects/ambient noise/ whatever free in the rear channels. I remember "The Starving Village" being clean as well, though I don't have it here at work to verify.

Other than that I do think it's possible that End Credits on disk 2 contains the unreleased music we want and they forgot to put ** next to it , because if they used the ToD OST version they'd have to to put part of the same cue on disk 5 and Bouzereau seems fussy no to do that .

Yes if he did repeat the same 32 seconds of "Return To The Village" on two different discs, it would seem pretty out of place, and the only instance of it happening in the box set. That combined with the fact that he renamed the track "End Credits" while keeping the other 10 TOD track titles exactly the same leads me to really think we're gonna get the right version...

And if you take the City of Prague recording ,it is like a performance of the actual End Credits so we know it can stand on it's own .

Can somebody PM me a link to this recording?

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST ILLEGAL LINKS TO OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE MATERIAL. THANKS

I wonder why the TOD end credits (film version) is so short...

...I'm scared. :)

Why? I already laid out in this post that all the music in the film's end credits are in the "Finale And End Credits" track of the OST.

It's also highly unlikely that the track on disc 2 is any different from the OST... it segues from the previous track just like in the movie.

I'm not sure I understand this sentence... in the movie, "Return To The Village" plays in full, and then "End Credits" play in full (well, chopped up eventually, but not until well after the parts we're discussing).

The new Concord set will either repeat the OST conglomeration, and therefore repeat the same 32 seconds of music on disc 2 and disc 5, or it won't and we'll get the "actual" end credits on disc 2. I think the evidence points to the latter.

if we do get Indy is Alive at the end of British Relief, the End Credits on disk 2 should be the OST album version...

Indy Is Alive is definitely in British Relief.

clearly I'm not overly familiar with the unreleased Indy stuff

You can go to this link to see all the missing cues and how long they are

I can only assume it would have nudged TEMPLE above the 90 minute re-use fee limit, having the end credits duplicated on that disc.

Re-Use fees only apply to newly released music, if you repeat the same music across multiple discs (or, say, repeat the same music that was previously released on an old OST), you can't have to pay the re-use fees again.

Exactly, that's why I don't see point of making fuss about some missing notes here and there.

Actually, there are hardly any "notes missing" in the sense of like, they chopped out this section of this track or this section of that track... in all cases, the new music is presented to us as entire cues.... it's just a shame they didn't restore some missing chunks that were removed on the original album releases (Desert Chase, Fast Streets, X Marks The Spot, Escape From Venice)

Case for End Credits actually beeing the End Credits and not the OST "Finale and end Credits"

For:

-Would avoid repeating music that's on disk 5 .Re-sequencing Return to the Village in it's proper place would have the Raiders March playing too many times .It would be hard to believe people producing c.d.'s in 2008 do not take the making playlists into consideration.

-Fits with track time

-All other original TOD tracks are 5 seconds longer than on the old OST but not this one

-All other original TOD tracks kept the same name but not this one .Track is now named End Credits and NOT Finale and End Credits

Against:

British Relief (Indy is Alive part) leads more naturally into the Raider's March Intro

Track time is the same as OST

British Relief (Indy is Alive part) leads more naturally into the Raider's March Intro

That's a good point I hadn't thought of... except that they are meant to overlap, not just play one after the other, and it doesn't seem like the Concord set will be doing any overflow between tracks (especially the way they botched "The Austrian Way" / "Alarm!" / "Scherzo" - damn those cues sound great together when combined properly into one long track!)

Exactly, that's why I don't see point of making fuss about some missing notes here and there.

Actually, there are hardly any "notes missing" in the sense of like, they chopped out this section of this track or this section of that track... in all cases, the new music is presented to us as entire cues.... it's just a shame they didn't restore some missing chunks that were removed on the original album releases (Desert Chase, Fast Streets, X Marks The Spot, Escape From Venice)

I agree, but on the other hand I have never been a die-hard fan of Indiana Jones scores, at least not enough to analyse every single cue that was in the movie and be bothered by the lack of this or that. I am more than happy with what we are going to get and really amazed by the number of complaints that has been generated in this thread. Isn't there a small piece of enthusiasm any more?

I didn't know that about the re-use fees (only unreleased music has to be paid for). Interesting then that if it's purchased in 15 minute blocks, that Temple has 46:02 of unreleased material. Surely they would have trimmed it back by a minute? Of course, this could merely be a result of each unreleased track having 3-4 seconds of silence at the start and end, in which case there's precisely 45 minutes of unreleased music they paid for. If that is the case, then Laurent should really be commended for his selections.

Alternative speculation: They paid for the rest of the music, but are witholding it for an eventual complete score release (and decided paying now was better than waiting for a few more years when it'll cost more).

Anyone prepared to tally up Crusade?

I agree, but on the other hand I have never been a die-hard fan of Indiana Jones scores, at least not enough to analyse every single cue that was in the movie and be bothered by the lack of this or that. I am more than happy with what we are going to get and really amazed by the number of complaints that has been generated in this thread. Isn't there a small piece of enthusiasm any more?

I'm sure Laurent did everything he could do with the budget he was given, but it's a shame that Lucasfilm (or whoever) couldn't spend some of their millions on really nice, 2-cd complete score sets for each film.

I didn't know that about the re-use fees! Interesting... but odd. If it's in 15 minute blocks, why does Temple have 46:02 of unreleased material? Surely they would have trimmed it back by a minute? Of course, this could merely be a result of each unreleased track having 3-4 seconds of silence at the start and end, in which case there's pretty much 45 minutes to the second of unreleased material. If that is the case, then Laurent should really be commended for his selections.

I don't think they are that exact, I'm sure there's some leeway

Anyone prepared to tally up Crusade?

There's about 30 minutes of new Crusade music

32:31 to be precise... I would have though they'd be extremely stringent. Even factoring in silences, that's still over the 30 minute block, so maybe they did pay for all the music and will wait for a complete release in a few years. Just speculating...

They could easily have trimmed down one or two of the shorter tracks to get that under 30 minutes, but chose not to..

I'm sure Laurent did everything he could do with the budget he was given, but it's a shame that Lucasfilm (or whoever) couldn't spend some of their millions on really nice, 2-cd complete score sets for each film.

That's for sure... I think even Lucas realizes how much that franchise owes to JW and should put his back into releasing the music in proper way. This applies to Star Wars prequels too!

Sadly, they probably realize that we will all buy this box set now, and nice 2cd sets again 10 years from now

Sadly, they probably realize that we will all buy this box set now, and nice 2cd sets again 10 years from now

We're going to have something to live for, I guess.

We're going to have something to live for, I guess.

On the bright side, there was only 3 years between the Star Wars box set and the 2CD versions...

On the downside, they probably would never have come out if they weren't tied to the re-release of the movies in theaters...

Jeez, just try and add a little harmless speculation. These final 13 days cannot go by quick enough....

Although I dread the reaction after people get their boxes.

Indiana Jones Special Editions for Raiders' 30th! Yeah baby!

oooh that would be sweet

EDIT: Just realize I passed 500 posts! Woot!

Indiana Jones Special Editions for Raiders' 30th! Yeah baby!

oooh that would be sweet

EDIT: Just realize I passed 500 posts! Woot!

Actually, I was sarcastically referring to 'special editions' of the films themselves. We don't want this.

But yes. Completely complete (?) 2CD presentations for Raiders' 30th would be a treat. :)

Reuse blocks can be rounded off. That is something that the record label negotiates with the AFM, not the producer unless, like Lukas Kendall, he is the owner of the record label. I doubt Bouzereau had anything to do with it, or with selecting what to include or leave off or the edits or sound quality, which was probably all determined by Shawn Murphy and okayed by Williams.

Nah, it's easy to tell them apart. Merkel's is spitting up green junk.

Well it was time for a change anyway...

Oh boy how this board loves to speculate on something before it's released. I tell you what, sometimes it can drive one crazy. Why doesn't everyone just wait until someone gets their copy and confirm everything to what is on the set?

Reuse blocks can be rounded off. That is something that the record label negotiates with the AFM, not the producer unless, like Lukas Kendall, he is the owner of the record label. I doubt Bouzereau had anything to do with it, or with selecting what to include or leave off or the edits or sound quality, which was probably all determined by Shawn Murphy and okayed by Williams.

The way it sounds on the amazon clip provided was that Concord had already planned to release these expanded and asked Bouzereau to work with them.

Oh boy how this board loves to speculate on something before it's released. I tell you what, sometimes it can drive one crazy. Why doesn't everyone just wait until someone gets their copy and confirm everything to what is on the set?

Someone will probably give bad info anyway, just to mess with king mark.

Oh boy how this board loves to speculate on something before it's released.

Of course, you should recall that you caught the fever yourself not long ago. Anyway, in this Golden Age of film score releases, the boards are going to be continually rife with speculation, and I'm afraid you'll simply have to tough it out -- or, in the vein of Bruce Kimmel, have a bit of perverse fun with it all.

Someone will probably give bad info anyway, just to mess with king mark.

I wouldn't do that. I'll be more than happy to post any info for the set when I get my copy...that is if someone hasn't done it all ready.

Yeah, that one is in stereo.

But i got my files from Weebo.

Speaking of did you actually ever receive your 2-CD set for A.I. from him like he was supposed to have supposedly sent off to you a couple of weeks ago?

Damn him, I've been waiting for my copy. He told me he went by Concord and picked up a promotional set and would ship it with the 2-disc A.I. promo finally.

Damn him, I've been waiting for my copy. He told me he went by Concord and picked up a promotional set and would ship it with the 2-disc A.I. promo finally.

To enrich this topic even further, when do the rapidshare-files finally pop up? Someone is bound to have it by now!

Speaking of did you actually ever receive your 2-CD set for A.I. from him like he was supposed to have supposedly sent off to you a couple of weeks ago?

I take great offense to that remark! What do you mean by "supposed" and "supposedly" in the same sentence? Why are you even involved?

-W

I take great offense to that remark! What do you mean by "supposed" and "supposedly" in the same sentence? Why are you even involved?

-W

*Yawn*

-W

Because I find it offensive that you take so long to send two people copies of a score from a trade that should have been finished a long time ago. If Steef really had to wait 5 or 7 years (can't remember what he said) that is totally inexcusable.

Hey, just remember who you're talking to! Me! Weebo! JWFan of the year! You're just some Nazi alien from Star Trek! For your information I have mailed out AI to Stefancos 17 different times over the years. It's not my fault the Dutch postal system is horribly inefficient.

-W