Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think others should actually wait to get their copies of it as well and not download any leaks of it.

Do you think somehow it will affect the sales of the Box set if everyone that has bought it downloaded it before? Do you see it as piracy?

Yes there are some members here who didn't mind the edits on the original album.

However there are some here who actually use the CDs they buy and don't want to waste time burning CDR's to arrange albums pulling sources from different albums, DVD rips and game files.

While I'm extremely grateful and more excited about all of the unreleased TOD, would it have killed them to include the 40 seconds of unreleased music from Desert Chase?

Maybe they had some kind of contractual obligations to reproduce some of the contents of the original albums (also pertaining to the choice to not cross-fade between tracks), but this would not explain why this applied only to this track and not to "Well of the Souls", "Marion's Theme" or "Indy's Very First Adventure".

I think others should actually wait to get their copies of it as well and not download any leaks of it.

Do you think somehow it will affect the sales of the Box set if everyone that has bought it downloaded it before? Do you see it as piracy?

To be honest it's hard for me to explain it.

I will admit CD's that I myself have boughten like limited edition stuff I've downloaded to listen to before I got my copy because I was just too eager to wait for my copy. However, there have been some things that I have waited to get my copy for and the Indiana Jones set is one thing I will be waiting to get my copy before listening. I mean sure samples I'll listen to that's no biggy but like the actual set....well you get my point, I hope.

Would I notice any edits done to the track?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I know that anyone who has heard the full version will immediately notice the edits. I think what most people, including myself, are upset about is that this release - while undeniably will be one of the most anticipated and celebrated score expansions ever - will miss some fairly easy marks.

The spirit of this release should be to give the fans the most complete version of these masterpieces available. To leave out things like the complete "Desert Chase" and even things like "Marion Into the Pit" - which could have easily fit on the Raiders CD (with no monetary change - as I understand) - is not a good thing. I could understand leaving the extra bits off if they were giving us a single CD that was completely packed to the brim with music, like the fantastic DCC release. But the running time of this new Concord CD leaves plenty of room for additional music.

I am extremely excited about this release - I love the Indy scores more than any other score and am eternally grateful to everyone involved - but I am also frustrated that they seemingly came so close to achieving a PERFECT collection and barely missed the mark over some silly and unneeded decisions.

It's frustrating. An uncut "Desert Chase" and the cue where Marion is thrown into the well totals about 70 extra seconds spread out across 2 discs. Both have even been released before. They should be on here. I know there are political decisions to be made, but I don't see how that can apply to material that has already been released, unless somehow the materials for these tracks couldn't be found. That would be a tragedy.

Neil

To be honest it's hard for me to explain it.

I will admit CD's that I myself have boughten like limited edition stuff I've downloaded to listen to before I got my copy because I was just too eager to wait for my copy. However, there have been some things that I have waited to get my copy for and the Indiana Jones set is one thing I will be waiting to get my copy before listening. I mean sure samples I'll listen to that's no biggy but like the actual set....well you get my point, I hope.

Yes i know what you mean.

I had TPM screener for months before the spanish premiere of the movie. I waited to experience the movie in the cinema.

I dont usually hear scores before seeing the movie.

I know there are political decisions to be made, but I don't see how that can apply to material that has already been released, unless somehow the materials for these tracks couldn't be found. That would be a tragedy.

Ugh, I didn't think about that. Yes, it would be a tragedy if that is the case.

It's frustrating. An uncut "Desert Chase" and the cue where Marion is thrown into the well totals about 70 extra seconds spread out across 2 discs. Both have even been released before. They should be on here. I know there are political decisions to be made, but I don't see how that can apply to material that has already been released, unless somehow the materials for these tracks couldn't be found. That would be a tragedy.

Neil

Interesting thought - but you'd think if they had the materials for "Washington Men", "Bad Dates" and so forth, they could find the rest of it, no?

Either way, it's one of a few small missteps on an otherwise amazing (I hope) collection.

Neil

Though my opinions may be a little uninformed, I agree with you. If that music is only 70 seconds, then I do not see how they would be unable to fit it on a 73 minute Disk (or on Disk 5). That being said: are those the only (technically) unreleased cues for "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

Neil

Though my opinions may be a little uninformed, I agree with you. If that music is only 70 seconds, then I do not see how they would be unable to fit it on a 73 minute Disk (or on Disk 5). That being said: are those the only (technically) unreleased cues for "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

By my guess, we are missing the following from ROTLA:

• In The Idol's Temple (Insert)

• Marion Into The Well

• Through The Wall (Alternate)

• The Mummy Cave

• The extra 40 seconds of "Desert Chase"

Possibly some Cairo Source music, too. Is that Williams?

All of this material could have easily fit on the single Raiders disc, if not maybe a minute or two on the 5th disc.

Who cares about "source music"? And are those cues worth being included?

I do (although not very much). And yes.

And by "worth being included", I mean that it would fit on the disc, incur no additional financial cost, and make all of us a lot happier. The essential cues of the above mentioned ones would have to be "Marion Into The Well", "Desert Chase" (Complete), and "Mummy Cave". The alternate "Indy Rides The Statue" and possible source music could go on disc 5 and the insert for "Idol's Temple" could go into the actual track.

Would I notice any edits done to the track?

May someone answer this question, please?

probably not. I'm not even sure about the difference in the 2 version and I have both

I'm sorry to say but most source music is dull, boring and just not worth including on a CD. Most of the time too the source music is done by another composer, not by the original person who wrote the score for the film.

For example we know the Mos Espa source music was done by Williams son, not by Williams himself.

Source music drives me up the wall.

I'm sorry to say but most source music is dull, boring and just not worth including on a CD. Most of the time too the source music is done by another composer, not by the original person who wrote the score for the film.

For example we know the Mos Espa source music was done by Williams son, not by Williams himself.

Source music drives me up the wall.

Fair enough. And if we had everything on Raiders except the Cairo source music, I would lose absolutely NO sleep.

However, I love how the last crusade boot flows from "Blasphemy/Road to Berlin" into the Nazi March, Der Konnigratzer . Occasionally, there are terrific source music cues like that (not always composed by Williams), that enhance the listening experience. But for 98% of the time, it's better to leave them off the soundtrack.

Man, that little review has me excited. In some ways I still can't believe this is finally happening, and won't believe it until my package from Amazon arrives.

The inclusion of the old LP edit of Desert Chase is puzzling, but we've got it from the DCC release so that doesn't really bother me. According to the review everything else is as it should be. Complete Indy's First Adventure! :huh:

Well like I said before I love how those first cues in ToD (Deal for the Diamond to Slalom on Mt. Humol) segue into each other. I'll probably do that for my edit- disc 5 stuff in chrono order and rips of the few remaining unreleased cues. In general I like to keep cues that merge together in the film together, even if they were recorded seperately.

I'm not sure about Belly of the Steel Beast, though. On my old edit I put the unreleased section in the middle like the film version. It's a rough edit, but satisfying enough in the end. We'll see.

I actually prefer stand alone "recording sessions" type tracks to film version segues.

That depends. Sometimes, that stop-start progression in a soundtrack presentation can be annoying. But it probably won't be so bad in this case.

Man, that little review has me excited. In some ways I still can't believe this is finally happening, and won't believe it until my package from Amazon arrives.

The inclusion of the old LP edit of Desert Chase is puzzling, but we've got it from the DCC release so that doesn't really bother me. According to the review everything else is as it should be. Complete Indy's First Adventure! :huh:

And now I am envisioning a man opening his mailbox to find this Box Set, "Approaching the Stones" serving as the underscore.

What's the deal with people announcing that they're going to give up their old copies of OSTs once a new expanded release comes out? It's like when the Blue Box came out, people said they were getting rid of their Rhino editions, which was silly because the Rhino was a good presentation, and actually sounds better than the FSM release in some parts, especially "The Helicopter Rescue".

Previous editions, even if they're not as complete, make good collector's items and are important if you're a fan of the movie or the franchise.

What's the deal with people announcing that they're going to give up their old copies of OSTs once a new expanded release comes out? It's like when the Blue Box came out, people said they were getting rid of their Rhino editions, which was silly because the Rhino was a good presentation, and actually sounds better than the FSM release in some parts, especially "The Helicopter Rescue".

Previous editions, even if they're not as complete, make good collector's items and are important if you're a fan of the movie or the franchise.

Indeed, I never understood why people give up previous versions of a score once a better/expanded edition comes out. Personally I keep all my versions of scores, even if a newer more better expanded version of the score comes out.

exactly!

Anyone noticed this release has another thing in common with the anthology?

Cues are sepparated.

When we get the complete scores they will be united.

EDIT: The guy from intrada literally evaded on comenting what cue is Father and son reunited. I found that suspicious. So far he has only confirmed things that were 99% confirmed. How can anyone not know if it would be one cue or the other? Why did he got an advance copy if he does not know last crusade well?? And the guy really takes his time to give one line aswers for small direct questions.

He also hasnt said anything about TOD End credits that must be the thing most people are craving for.

The guy only has 19 posts, Is he some important person at intrada or not?

He probably has the set, but not as maniacal about this music as we are .And he doesn't seem to know the films very well

Why did he get a set, does he work at Intrada or something?It's not much of a review

Empire Magazine reviewed it in their latest issue (the Star Trek one) but the review gives barely any information that couldn't already be taken from the press release. They gave it five stars, though. I guess that's the first official review.

Empire Magazine reviewed it in their latest issue (the Star Trek one) but the review gives barely any information that couldn't already be taken from the press release. They gave it five stars, though. I guess that's the first official review.

Wow they gave KOTCS 5 stars too!

- I don't think it's a review copy, he probably just got it because Intrada is also going to sell it.

- Perhaps they didn't want to go over the 74-minute mark for the CDs, and that's why they edited Desert Chase? That doesn't explain why the 5th disc is rather short, though.

- I don't think it's a review copy, he probably just got it because Intrada is also going to sell it.

- Perhaps they didn't want to go over the 74-minute mark for the CDs, and that's why they edited Desert Chase? That doesn't explain why the 5th disc is rather short, though.

or why KOTCS has 77...

It's like when the Blue Box came out, people said they were getting rid of their Rhino editions, which was silly because the Rhino was a good presentation, and actually sounds better than the FSM release in some parts, especially "The Helicopter Rescue".

The FSM sounds *worse*!? I thought the only point in their release was that they had access to the original masters and could actually produce something that's listenable?

It's like when the Blue Box came out, people said they were getting rid of their Rhino editions, which was silly because the Rhino was a good presentation, and actually sounds better than the FSM release in some parts, especially "The Helicopter Rescue".

The FSM sounds *worse*!? I thought the only point in their release was that they had access to the original masters and could actually produce something that's listenable?

Yes, and it's apparent that they employed some very unnecessary noise reduction, which filtered out important details in the music. When I first heard it, I remember being disappointed that it didn't sound quite as good as the DVD isolated score.