Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

I don't see how anyone can TRULY complain about this set. Like has been said before, there is a possibility that at one point these were just going to be straight reissues. We're lucky to have the set that we got. Yes there are some mishaps, but they shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's an excellent collection.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're nitpicking things that most of the people who see this release in stores and buy it aren't to notice or care about.

and they probably wouldnt notice if an incidental cue is from one sequel or another...

we have to rise the bar, here. This is a "JW Fan" site, after all.

Remember when I said how awesome it would be if I came from class to find Indy on my doorstep? Well, literally a minute ago I was enterting my neighborhood and saw a UPS truck leaving. I hit the gas a little and found that beautiful brown box sitting at the door. I am about to open the grail right this very moment!

Hahaha. Nice!!

You know, we should all capture the historic moment in time. Everybody grab their cameras and take a picture of them opening their package containing the Indy set!

:D:P

I finally got a chance to listen to the set (My physical set still hasn't arrived sadly)

The way the cues are separated is atrocious. I will probably listen to these cds this way once and then always listen to my personal set where the cues will be combined properly in the future. They sound terrible broken up like this (especially TOD!)

The new music is awesome, of course.

Can't say anything about sound quality as I've only listened with crappy headphones so far

I don't see how anyone can TRULY complain about this set. Like has been said before, there is a possibility that at one point these were just going to be straight reissues. We're lucky to have the set that we got. Yes there are some mishaps, but they shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's an excellent collection.

Again, if this set wasn't marketed to us, then who could it be marketed to? Do you HONESTLY think a casual buyer is going to pick this up? Not a chance in hell.

What would have been so wrong with a "TPM UE" kind of deal in this situation? I would have been very happy with the music edited as it was presented in the film.

temple of doom must be the greatest cut and paste job after lost world spielberg wise. I am happy that I get complete pieces

Even though there are missing cues (bridge music is the most missed), the box is very enjoyable. It is nice to finally have a QUALITY version of Last Crusade to listen to.

What would have been so wrong with a "TPM UE" kind of deal in this situation? I would have been very happy with the music edited as it was presented in the film.

temple of doom must be the greatest cut and paste job after lost world spielberg wise. I am happy that I get complete pieces

I disagree, Temple of Doom is probably (along with Raiders) the least messed-around-with out of the Star Wars/Indy/Jurassic Park films

If this was for just us hardcore fans then there is a possibility this set would never have been released.

Are you crazy? Varese, Intrada, FSM, LLL, etc release music just for the hard core fans all the time

But those are often very low (in the scale of things) runs. Even though this is a "limited edition," it probably has a pretty big run.

That said, I think the number one reason we have this is KOTCS. The timing of the release certainly is to try and catch people who are reminded of Indy and his music by KOTCS. They already know they have the soundtrack geek bucks, but it's the possibility of huge sales that probably convinced Lucasfilm/Concord/whoever to do this, because Indy - as loved as he is - is not on the level of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings on that side of things.

I think we would have gotten expanded Indy scores eventually.... but KOCS absolutely helped get them out sooner

In fact, we probably would have had better releases if we had to wait longer... but oh well

My Barnes and Noble has two copies in stock - the one that I preordered from them (and canceled this morning) and one as regular stock.

I checked Best Buy's "check local store stock" doohicky. Nothing within a quite huge radius, sadly. I doubt that that means they're sold out, I'm assuming it means they're not stocking it.

If this was for just us hardcore fans then there is a possibility this set would never have been released.

Are you crazy? Varese, Intrada, FSM, LLL, etc release music just for the hard core fans all the time

Why do you think they haven't released IJ yet?

This is a major market release, which means it's not catered exclusively to just us folks. There's no limited editions of 3000 copies.

I picked mine up at a store. Borders and Best Buy didn’t have it. Finally got it at FYE. It was on sale for $56. :D Should have ordered it from Amazon. Live and learn.

Why do you think they haven't released IJ yet?

This is a major market release, which means it's not catered exclusively to just us folks. There's no limited editions of 3000 copies.

I wasn't trying to say this was just for the hardcore fans; i was saying that if it WAS, there are plenty of labels that probably would have released it

EDIT: 700 posts again, woot!

Well at least it's not Ramiro Belgart ,who left out 3 major action cues out of KotCS and microedited the hell out of Jungle Chase

3 action cues?

There's the warehouse escape and the disappearing stairs, but other than that...once they reach the temple most of it is just tracked from "Grave Robbers."

Just wondering. Did you ask Intrada to correct their pitch problems on their King Soloman's Mines release? What about all the missing organ overlays on the initial Omega Man CD release. Did you ask FSM for a new CD? What about the crappy sound on the Prometheus Wild America release? Did you demand that producers remix that CD?

No. Raiders of the Lost Ark is ten times more important than those scores combined. Thank goodness for the DCC release. I have good ears but would have noticed the mastering blunder from the track times. I'm surprised LB didn't. It shows that this was a rushed product. The (paying) fans deserve better. We'll just end up paying for another one of their attempts. I would prefer a surround sound isolated score on the eventual IJ Blu-Ray box-set.

Look, I'm disappointed with aspects of this release just like everyone else is, but this asking for repressed CD's is ridiculous. If someone didn't point it out the pitch issues you probably wouldn't have noticed... just like the majority of people who are going to purchase this... they aren't going to notice it. Now, I'm not supporting LB and the comedy of errors that plagues this release but what you are asking for will NEVER happen.

True. But this really pissed me off. What a wasted opportunity...

Having said this, I will enjoy what they've chosen to give us this time.

Just wondering. Did you ask Intrada to correct their pitch problems on their King Soloman's Mines release? What about all the missing organ overlays on the initial Omega Man CD release. Did you ask FSM for a new CD? What about the crappy sound on the Prometheus Wild America release? Did you demand that producers remix that CD?

No. Raiders of the Lost Ark is ten times more important than those scores combined. Thank goodness for the DCC release. I have good ears but would have noticed the mastering blunder from the track times. I'm surprised LB didn't. It shows that this was a rushed product. The (paying) fans deserve better. We'll just end up paying for another one of their attempts. I would prefer a surround sound isolated score on the eventual IJ Blu-Ray box-set.

Yeah, I believe it was rushed. If that leak in early October was any indication, Raiders was going to sound awful. They probably had the score remastered again at the last minute in better quality and ended up being careless with the tape speed.

I know a lot of you will think that I sound like a pretentious snob for saying this, but the mastering flaws make some tracks almost unlistenable for me. Just listening properly to The Nightclub Brawl is all it takes. Listen to the trombones and the harp. The delay/reverb effect is horrible. It sounds so messy and muddy.

I'm not complaining about the release as a whole; I'm just saying it could've been done a lot better, and I think it's fair to say that the scores deserve much better treatment than they've received here.

Can anyone else even hear what I'm talking about here?

There's definitely too much reverb, but it doesn't ruin the listening experience for me.

I wouldn't have minded if it had been a good quality, clean reverb - but it sounds more like a low quality delay to me. You can literally hear the brass hits and harp glissandi repeating milliseconds after the note strikes.

maybe the stage was small or too big for the orchestra (i dont know which of both would create reberb- i think the later)

Then why isn't this a problem on the original ToD album?

maybe the stage was small or too big for the orchestra (i dont know which of both would create reberb- i think the later)

It's not uncommon for mixes to have small amounts of artificial reverb added to further create a sense of depth and weight. In fact, most soundtrack releases will have that sort of treatment, it's just not done very well here. The strings, woodwinds, and horns sound beautiful. But it's the instruments that have a really sharp attack that cause the problems - like the harp(s) and trombones.

Some of the attitudes here about what you guys feel "entitled" to is a bit perplexing

I mean, it's nice to want things

We're the ones that shell out the money for this thing. WE are paying THEM to do this. We should be the ones to criticize it.

And fwiw, I got mine at Best Buy. Tomorrow I'll be picking up a copy at Borders. A lot of these were delayed because there was no mail today.

The way the cues are separated is atrocious. I will probably listen to these cds this way once and then always listen to my personal set where the cues will be combined properly in the future. They sound terrible broken up like this (especially TOD!)

The new music is awesome, of course.

Can't say anything about sound quality as I've only listened with crappy headphones so far

TOD stuff:

Indy Negotiates: Noticed neat stuff you can't hear in the film mix!

The Nightclub Brawl: It's so weird hearing this without the Anything Goes overlays!!

Map / Out Of Fuel: It sounded to me like you could add the Lego insert in no problem. Also, I think a later section was also different than the film version... like there was 2 inserts recorded.

The Scroll / To Pankot Palace: This was incredible to hear! The alternate section is interesting too!

Approaching The Stones: I was surprised by the opening to this... almost like it was meant to flow from a track we've never heard

Short Round Escapes: Either parts of this are just buried in the film mix, or it includes music dropped from the film

Saving Willie: Man, this sounds so jarring starting on its own instead of flowing from "Shorty Burns Indy"... and to end like this not flowing into "Slave Children's Crusade...agh!

Water!: Wow! I wasn't expecting that new opening! Neat!

The Broken Bridge / British Relief: Can anybody else almost hear the start of "Return To The Village" playing at the end of this?

Also: I was exactly right about where each and every cue started and ended, and which cues weren't included. yay!

Saving Willie: Man, this sounds so jarring starting on its own instead of flowing from "Shorty Burns Indy"... and to end like this not flowing into "Slave Children's Crusade...agh!

Which parts of the film does this cue start and stop at? Does it start with Indy's fanfare and end when he says "Right, all of us" ??? :D

Which parts of the film does this cue start and stop at? Does it start with Indy's fanfare and end when he says "Right, all of us" ??? :D

Yes

The Broken Bridge / British Relief: Can anybody else almost hear the start of "Return To The Village" playing at the end of this?

Well it is the next cue I suppose. Does it sound silly? :D

Well it is the next cue I suppose. Does it sound silly? :huh:

I dunno if it was actually being partially played by the orchestra, if it is in the track and they had to mix it down, or if i just heard it in my head after hearing it that way 300 times in the past :)

Which parts of the film does this cue start and stop at? Does it start with Indy's fanfare and end when he says "Right, all of us" ??? :huh:

Yes

Man, that will sound wierd! Then again, think how long the track would be if you combined Saving Willie, The Slave Kids and Shorty Helps!

I dunno if it was actually being partially played by the orchestra, if it is in the track and they had to mix it down, or if i just heard it in my head after hearing it that way 300 times in the past :)

:) I'll probably be the same.

If I remember rightly "Indy Climbs" fades out as "Return To The Village" starts. Is the fade out ok or does it just stop?

Sorry for all the questions!

hey.. JackChapple is right about nightclub brawl.. the trombones sound awful if you listen carefully..

but those are awfully echoy on the DVD rip too! so who knows were the problem is? :huh:

Bizzare. Maybe the final mix was/is just a load of crap! :)

Which parts of the film does this cue start and stop at? Does it start with Indy's fanfare and end when he says "Right, all of us" ??? :huh:

Yes

Man, that will sound wierd! Then again, think how long the track would be if you combined Saving Willie, The Slave Kids and Shorty Helps!

Still shorter than the new "Indy's Very First Adventure"

If I remember rightly "Indy Climbs" fades out as "Return To The Village" starts. Is the fade out ok or does it just stop?

Sorry for all the questions!

It fades out just like you're used to from the film, just with no Return To the Village overlapping it

Still shorter than the new "Indy's Very First Adventure"

True, but at least Indy's VFA only needs one track name!

It fades out just like you're used to from the film, just with no Return To the Village overlapping it

That's what I like to hear! :huh: Thanks.

Crusade:

Boat Scene: nothing new to report

Journey To Austria: Such a great cue, nice to have in great quality

Father And Sun Reunited: Sounds much better than the bootleg

The Austrian Way: Ditto. Man, the "love theme" part of this track is great!! Sounds terrible just ending like this, not flowing into "Alarm!"

Alarm!: Holy cow! I'm SOOOO used to the film version, hearing the Nazi Theme come in so early in the track was WICKED jarring! I almost can't believe this is the way the music was recorded, I'm so used to the other way this sounded like an edit!

On The Tank: I think this is a different take than the one from the bootleg. At least it matches the film (except for the edits and inserts). Great sound quality, 10x better than the bootleg

Also: is it just me or did the beginning of "Scherzo..." sound a little different than the OST?

Bonus disc:

Uncovering The Ark: this sounds way better than LP rips!

Indy And the Villagers: sounds great

The Secret Passage: One of those tracks, like "Over The Himalayas", that I haven't heard as much as anything else because we never had a clean rip of it. So I appreciated it alot, especially the little Shorty's Theme section

Father's Study: Great to hear in good quality. Annoying how it ends without flowing into "Flight To Venice"

Marcus Is Captured: Always loved this performance of Keeping Up With The Joneses theme, and of course the Nazi theme at the end

To Berlin: sad the first note is chopped off

To The Blimp: Awesome to hear in great quality

The Blimp Turns Around: Its such a shame the start of this cue wasn't used in the film...

Death Of Kazim: Does anybody else think the end note was almost meant to flow into "Belly Of The Steel Beast"?

Wrong Choice, Right Choice: This was another revelation, so much better quality than the bootleg!

Return To The Village: I feel like I've been waiting for this cue for a very, very long time! It was one of the first cues I ever recored directly from the VCR to an audio cassette (film dialogue and all)... but it sucks so much that it's only the first 3 minutes and doesn't just continue on to the entire end credits!! SO LAME! BTW, I never noticed those bells (?) before in the Willie's Theme part of Return To the Village! Neat!

Overall, I kinda liked disc 5 alot. Oddly, even though the music came from all over, it flowed pretty decently. Kind of like the SW Anthology disc 4 did back in the day.

But I'd still prefer complete 2CD releases any day of the week!! :huh:

Some of the attitudes here about what you guys feel "entitled" to is a bit perplexing

I mean, it's nice to want things

We're the ones that shell out the money for this thing. WE are paying THEM to do this. We should be the ones to criticize it.

And fwiw, I got mine at Best Buy. Tomorrow I'll be picking up a copy at Borders. A lot of these were delayed because there was no mail today.

However vocal some of the soundtrack collector crowds are, they're not enough to justify the amount of money it takes to make a release like this.

FSM and Varese put out lots of great releases, but they are in debt to a point. Not every release sells and they put themselves in debt on certain releases.

Okay I got my set today and listened to the entire Temple of Doom CD. Just from this one CD and all the artwork and stuff, I do LOVE this set and I think it's amazing to hear a lot of these unreleased cues (even in an alternate form) in a sound quality that may not be perfect but it blows away any DVD rip!

Suffice to say, I think I prefer the OST sound quality of Temple of Doom (I think I downloaded APEs of the Japanese version, which I guess was in better quality?). But that's why we have the "magic" of sound editing to just use the great unreleased portions from this box set to make our own personal edits! So for those of you complaining, I don't see why. It's an opportunity to edit and "update" what a lot of us already have (DVD rips/edits).

Now... it was said before that "Short Round Helps" sounded a bit different in sound quality, and I think they were right. Although it isn't really sound quality that is the problem, I think it is purely a pitch problem. It plays too slow. In fact, if you compare the first section of it to the Lego Game's file that featured the unreleased portion, it is more obvious that on CD it is slower. The lego file had it at the correct pitch. Any help as to how to make the pitch of this one track match?

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a Pro Tools sound engineer about this problem of the incorrect pitch/speed. He told me this could happen more often than one could think, especially with old analog recordings. He said that when this happens with vintage rock recordings (i.e.: music with a steady rhythm or tempo) is much more annoying.

Another friend told me that one of the most famous recordings of Puccini's Tosca (the one performed by Callas/DiStefano/Gobbi, conducted by Victor De Sabata in 1953) was originally released by EMI-Ricordi with the incorrect pitch, however it has always been considered as one of the best. Only last year Naxos re-released it with pitch and speed corrected. I bet quite a few opera aficionados still prefer the wrong one.

I'm just now realizing how much similar opera buffs and film score fans are.