Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nov 10 part 2

elvisjones2005 says:

Shawn Murphy in responsible for the arrangement of the microphones at the recording session, the method of recording the music to some sort of multitrack media (24 track tape, Pro-Tool, whatever) and then mixing that from multitrack to 5.1 for the film and 2 channel stereo for the cd as well as a 5.1 mix for any dvd-audio or sacd or isolated score track even.

Murphy delivers the mixes of each cue to Patricia Sullivan, who then loads everything into a ProTools or Sonic Solutions (I assume) and assembles the album master from all the different mixes Shaw Murphy made of each cue (hence the term "Mastering"). In the orchestral scoring world, the mastering is usually fairly straight forward since all the cues are generally recorded by the engineer using the same orchestra in a short span of time, and thus end up sounding pretty much the same in terms of fidelity. In the rock world, the mastering can often be more involved since the mastering engineer may have to take mixes from many different studios, engineers, and time periods and make them all sound like a cohesive album.

--------------

Mark Olivarez says:

QUOTE (Neil S. Bulk @ Nov 9 2008, 10:47 PM) QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 9 2008, 04:41 PM) I wonder if Neil will still use the DCC disc for most of his assembly :rolleyes:

-----------------------------

I sure am, and it's going to be better than anything anyone else can assemble and I'll just keep it all to myself. Thanks!

Neil

I bet it will be awesome.

--------------

joey225 says:

So now I just got an email from Borders with a 2 day coupon - 40% off entire CD stock, including multi-disc sets. It'll be nice if they happen to get a copy of this in!

--------------

joey225 says:

By the way, Borders now has samples up too..

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleD...=58769660#disc2 (http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleD...=58769660#disc2)

--------------

Henry Buck says:

QUOTE (Neil S. Bulk @ Nov 9 2008, 10:47 PM) QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 9 2008, 04:41 PM) I wonder if Neil will still use the DCC disc for most of his assembly :rolleyes:

I sure am, and it's going to be better than anything anyone else can assemble and I'll just keep it all to myself. Thanks!

Neil

The Concord edition sounds superior in every way. I think I'm being very objective here. And I'm not knocking the work Lukas Kendall et al did on the DCC album. It was great for its time, but with today's technology Raiders sounds even better. Honestly, I'm just curious why you're interested in the DCC for anything other than the full "Desert Chase," the separate "Warehouse" and "Raiders March" and the LP rip of "Marion into the Pit."

--------------

Charlie Brigden says:

QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 04:24 PM) I'm at work and can't listen. Anything new/interesting in these samples?

No idea. I can't seem to listen to them. WMP won't open, and I got an error with RMP.

--------------

joey225 says:

I didn't listen to all of them (the only ones that worked for me were the real player links) but I did here more of the map sequence in TOD past what we've heard so far, that sort of stuff. A slightly different section of On the Tank. Honestly it's only worth checking out if you're really interested.

--------------

Henry Buck says:

About the whole "Map / Out of Fuel" thing: only the part you've heard on the samples already released is different from the film version insert. However, the whole section beginning with the Raiders March is taken at a bit slower tempo, and it sounds a bit grander (perhaps due to the quality/mix). There's also a badly done cut between takes during the Raiders March bit.

--------------

Joey says:

QUOTE (Incanus @ Nov 9 2008, 02:27 AM) QUOTE (artyjeffrey @ Nov 9 2008, 11:15 AM) I'm contemplating not even opening mine until Christmas, despite Mark's now-canonical declaration that this boxset was "more important than Christmas!" <_<

Self discipline is for children who have to wait for Christmas for their presents. Adults have these really cool priviledges like getting everything right here and now and no self discipline.

sorry but thats not true either, I have always go by the rule if I buy anything big or someone buys me something big after Sept. 6th, it goes under the Christmas tree.

I will order this set eventually, and it will go unopened until Christmas. Sometime being adult is about discipline.

--------------

J Dan says:

You sure Incanus wasn't being sarcastic there?

--------------

Joey says:

no I don't think he was.

--------------

Henry Buck says:

I'm sure that the film version was recorded as an insert, though. You can hear from MAP_TEMPLEOFDOOM.ogg that it has a clean beginning/ending.

--------------

davros72 says:

Grrr! Wanna hear this set now! I'm estimating delivery on Wednesday (or Thursday if the USPS doesn't bother to transport on Tuesday, but I think they do, they just don't deliver, anyone know for sure?), based on how long it took for my MST3K 20th Anniversary DVD set to arrive from the same shipping location. Still, that's like ages from now!

OK, I'll stop whining. :angry:

But I will thank the decent folks who have been working hard to get us some information on this set, and especially Jason and others who have worked at getting cue lists and spreadsheets and such all correlated. I just updated my based-on-Jason's-spreadsheet "My Indy Tracks" spreadsheet with the new info that's cropped up.

This is gonna be good stuff to listen to when I'm studying for another stupid Calculus exam this weekend.

--------------

Vosk says:

Regular USPS won't deliver tomorrow because of Veteran's Day, however other carriers like UPS, DHL and all them will deliver if that's who is shipping your package.

--------------

king mark says:

QUOTE (davros72 @ Nov 10 2008, 12:40 PM) Grrr! Wanna hear this set now! I'm estimating delivery on Wednesday (or Thursday if the USPS doesn't bother to transport on Tuesday, but I think they do, they just don't deliver, anyone know for sure?), based on how long it took for my MST3K 20th Anniversary DVD set to arrive from the same shipping location. Still, that's like ages from now!

OK, I'll stop whining. :blink:

At least your set will be there this week.

--------------

ST-321 says:

My package is slated for delivery on Wednesday. Unfortunately I am flying to NY on Wednesday. I sure hope it is in the mail before I go. If so, I can listen in the car on the way to the air port and take the set with me for my trip. If not, I wont get to hear it until Sunday. :lol:

--------------

davros72 says:

QUOTE (Vosk @ Nov 10 2008, 11:52 AM) Regular USPS won't deliver tomorrow because of Veteran's Day, however other carriers like UPS, DHL and all them will deliver if that's who is shipping your package.

Oh, I know that, I just don't recall for sure if the USPS still moves stuff around "behind the scenes" so to speak on non-delivery days. I'm thinking they do, since my package tracking shows activity yesterday (Sunday). So hopefully Wednesday is the day! (And hopefully mail comes early in the day since I have to leave early in the afternoon, hate to think it'd just be sitting there overnight waiting for me instead of in my grubby little hands...)

--------------

davros72 says:

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 10 2008, 12:17 PM) QUOTE (davros72 @ Nov 10 2008, 12:40 PM) Grrr! Wanna hear this set now! I'm estimating delivery on Wednesday (or Thursday if the USPS doesn't bother to transport on Tuesday, but I think they do, they just don't deliver, anyone know for sure?), based on how long it took for my MST3K 20th Anniversary DVD set to arrive from the same shipping location. Still, that's like ages from now!

OK, I'll stop whining. :blink:

At least your set will be there this week ,not next Wednesday or maybe even later.

True, I am grateful for that. Is that when yours is estimated for delivery? I'm sorry, I never meant to rub it in anyone's face.

--------------

king mark says:

I get Nov 21 as estimated delivery

--------------

Marc402 says:

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 10 2008, 07:26 PM) I get Nov 21 as estimated delivery .

mine is still set for friday, although i will go in to the store on wednesday and thursday to hear if it is on their list for the next day.

I wonder if the -packaging- of the dutch edition will be exactly like the american, because it won't be an import i have been told

--------------

king mark says:

QUOTE (Joey @ Nov 10 2008, 11:43 AM) sorry but thats not true either, I have always go by the rule if I buy anything big or someone buys me something big after Sept. 6th, it goes under the Christmas tree.

I will order this set eventually, and it will go unopened until Christmas. Sometime being adult is about discipline.

No actually,that just some arbitrary rule you' ve set for yourself.

--------------

tpigeon says:

Hilarious.

I ordered my set from Amazon months ago with two day shipping and it has not shipped yet. I'm probably looking at Thursday, at best Wednesday. I'm starting to get really antsy. I think I'll go right to "Short Round Helps" and "On the Tank."

Ted

--------------

Quint says:

QUOTE (tpigeon @ Nov 10 2008, 02:20 PM) I think I'll go right to "On the Tank."

Ted

Seconded.

--------------

king mark says:

How's the choir mix in the Concord "Dawn,the Map room"

--------------

oierem says:

Btw, is the whole interview a rehash of the one in the DVD?

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 10 2008, 11:38 AM) How's the choir mix in"The Map Room :Dawn "

It's the John Neal album mix.

Neil

--------------

John Crichton says:

No package today. :(

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

And you thought I was making uninformed decisions?

Neil

--------------

Mark Olivarez says:

QUOTE (oierem @ Nov 10 2008, 01:44 PM) Btw, is the whole interview a rehash of the one in the DVD?

I don't think there is anything new that we haven't already heard.

--------------

Maxxie says:

QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 08:12 PM) How did you score an early copy?

Pun intended?! :rolleyes:

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

Working on something with Raiders right now. No doubt it's louder than the DCC, but the dynamics are also clipped in some instances.

There may be more. I need a little time.

Neil

--------------

king mark says:

Some if your raise the volume of the DCC they sound about the same?

--------------

king mark says:

QUOTE (Henry Buck @ Nov 10 2008, 11:41 AM) There's also a badly done cut between takes during the Raiders March bit. Due to the quality disparity and different tempo, I think it would be difficult to effectively edit the film version insert into this cue. You can't edit it where Willie's theme kicks in either, as the orchestration is different.

yeah, I already tried with the samples and the performances don't match

--------------

tjguitar says:

QUOTE I'm thinking they do, since my package tracking shows activity yesterday (Sunday).

Well, post offices are open on Sundays. You can send packages. post offices are not open on holidays, though.

--------------

Mark Olivarez says:

Well no package came today in the mail. I have a feeling it won't be until next week that I actually receive my box set.

--------------

king mark says:

I don;t hav eany use for the short version of the Raiders March .I'll just use the Concord End Credits/w coda

--------------

Vosk says:

Peter believes his orders will be there today and if they do get there he said all priority orders from him will go out today. So hopefully by Wednesday, maybe Thursday at the latest I will have mine. Damn it I wish tomorrow wasn't a fricken holiday.

--------------

mattmane says:

Based on the samples, I'm pretty sure "On The Tank" is a different recording than the bootleg. It sound like a completely separate performance (trumpets missing different high notes). The synths are present because it is the film version. The bootleg's "Pen Is Mightier Thank The Sword" was probably a rehearsal take.

Ordered from Amazon. My set will likely arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.

If Amazon's US price was down to $41.99 at one point, why were we charged $44.99 ? This goes against their Low-Price Guarantee...

Nov 10 part 3

king mark says:

It could also be that the boot version sounds to bad to hear the synths

--------------

Luke Skywalker says:

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 10 2008, 10:07 PM) It could also be that the boot version sounds too bad to hear the synths

that's what i thought, but the possibility of an alternate take is feasible, the synth is very noticeable and in the concord set i dont remember it.

--------------

davros72 says:

QUOTE (mattmane @ Nov 10 2008, 03:06 PM) If Amazon's US price was down to $41.99 at one point, why were we charged $44.99 ? This goes against their Low-Price Guarantee...

I wondered that myself... Though I have seen it happen in the past where I would get a dollar or two credit separate from the initial charge because of the Low-Price Guarantee.

I just sent an email to Amazon asking just that very question (I referenced that I saw it was down to $41.99 on November 7th). Will let you know what I hear.

--------------

tjguitar says:

QUOTE Post offices aren't open on Sunday's here in the states. There is no actual delivery of packages on Sunday's.

There is no delivery, yes, but they are open and you can drop off pacakges. Maybe they just hol them until monday morning, but I doubt it.

you go to usps.com put in your zip code, maybe the one closest to you isn't, but i'm sure one of the nearby PO's will have sunday hours.

--------------

Henry Buck says:

QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 04:23 PM) Oh yea... and is "The Map Room: Dawn" the correct pitch now? :rolleyes:

As far as I can tell, the only cue that's off in pitch is "Return to the Village / Raiders March."

--------------

chinaismine says:

QUOTE (davros72 @ Nov 10 2008, 11:21 AM) QUOTE (mattmane @ Nov 10 2008, 03:06 PM) If Amazon's US price was down to $41.99 at one point, why were we charged $44.99 ? This goes against their Low-Price Guarantee...

I wondered that myself... Though I have seen it happen in the past where I would get a dollar or two credit separate from the initial charge because of the Low-Price Guarantee.

I just sent an email to Amazon asking just that very question (I referenced that I saw it was down to $41.99 on November 7th). Will let you know what I hear.

I ordered with Amazon a couple months ago, and my price was automatically lowered to $41.99.

--------------

phbart says:

QUOTE (Henry Buck @ Nov 10 2008, 08:27 PM) QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 04:23 PM) Oh yea... and is "The Map Room: Dawn" the correct pitch now? :rolleyes:

As far as I can tell, the only cue that's off in pitch is "Return to the Village / Raiders March."

Higher or lower?

--------------

Vosk says:

Well my copy has officially been shipped from MovieMusic today so I should have it on Wednesday, I can't wait! :lol:

--------------

richuk says:

My copy has been shipped 7 days in the future!

--------------

Henry Buck says:

QUOTE (phbart @ Nov 10 2008, 05:33 PM) QUOTE (Henry Buck @ Nov 10 2008, 08:27 PM) QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 04:23 PM) Oh yea... and is "The Map Room: Dawn" the correct pitch now? :rolleyes:

Higher or lower?

It's about a quarter semitone too low.

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

Another thing anyone apparently didn't touch upon so far:

the film version of "X Marks the Spot" from Last Crusade has a different take/insert for the moment where Indy finds the actual "X" on the floor. The take on the album is a forte rendition in the brass, with cymbals, glockenspiel and chimes, while the film version is softer and more subdued, with more emphasis on the woodwinds.

--------------

king mark says:

never noticed that

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

QUOTE (Henry Buck @ Nov 10 2008, 02:27 PM) QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 04:23 PM) Oh yea... and is "The Map Room: Dawn" the correct pitch now? <_<

Listen closer.

Comparison coming soon.

Hint: hold onto your DCC Raiders.

Neil

--------------

phbart says:

The original Raiders release, all tracks had lower pitch (nothing that Adobe Audition wouldn't rectify).

But a side-by-side comparison would be nice.

Let us know when you do so, Neil.

--------------

ST-321 says:

QUOTE (ST-321 @ Nov 10 2008, 10:17 AM) My package is slated for delivery on Wednesday. Unfortunately I am flying to NY on Wednesday. I sure hope it is in the mail before I go. If so, I can listen in the car on the way to the air port and take the set with me for my trip. If not, I wont get to hear it until Sunday. :(

Nevermind. Amazon & the USPS came through. It arrived today. :blink:

--------------

joey225 says:

Mine shipped and is arriving tomorrow!

UPS gets here pretty early too...exciting!

--------------

Henry Buck says:

Neil's right. "The Map Room" is a quarter of a semitone too fast.

--------------

Darth Wojo says:

Why, oh why, would anybody here get rid of their DCC version of Raiders if they own it, thinking this controversial set could replace it?

I mean, did anyone buy the Special Edition soundtracks of Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi so you could get rid of the Anthology box set?

--------------

Vosk says:

QUOTE (Darth Wojo @ Nov 10 2008, 06:58 PM) I mean, did anyone buy the Special Edition soundtracks of Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi so you could get rid of the Anthology box set?

Nope, I've got both.

--------------

Darth Wojo says:

I'll never part with my SW Anthology. My dad was miffed a few years ago when I told him I didn't listen to his $60 out-of-town last-minute Christmas gift-to-me, so I just committed it to FLAC and 129 MP3 last week, even interspersing most of the Disc 4 tracks where I used to have them on my cassette versions.

Ok, time to play the golden hypocrite...

I can see getting rid of the Last Crusade OST or even the ToD OST for buying this box set, because I have yet to read anything here that says any TLC OST tracks are superior to the box set. But my disc is too badly scratched to be worth anything. And I don't exactly own ToD so that's moot.

As for non-Williams, I can see getting rid of the OST's to LOTR if you've invested in the CR's, but for a casual listener, the OST's are just fine. It's just that after listening to the CR's for so long, some of the OST edits are brutally awkward.

--------------

king mark says:

there's only a handful of williams c.d.'s you can scrap

The Fury OST

Home Alone 2 OST

Superman OST

Superman Rhino

--------------

Henry Buck says:

QUOTE (Jason LeBlanc @ Nov 10 2008, 06:08 PM) OK, I have a dumb question. I am not musically inclined at all, so how would I be able to tell if a track has a wrong pitch? What I mean is, are you guys just using your ears, or is there something I could check in a WAV editor or some other program that would tell me that?

Also, if you know the pitch is off just by listening, how do you know how MUCH it is off?

And does "correcting" the pitch in a WAV editor really not make you lose any sound quality? For example, re-converting a NTSC film on a PAL DVD back to NTSC speed causes a loss in quality, yes?

Speeding it up shouldn't be a problem... slowing it down is.

I'm just going by my ears. I played around with adjustments until I found that the disparity was about .25 semitones.

--------------

tjguitar says:

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 10 2008, 06:08 PM) there's only a handful of williams c.d.'s you can scrap

The Fury OST

Home Alone 2 OST

Superman OST

Superman Rhino

Doesn't The Fury OST have tracks not on the DELUXE? I never got the deluxe, i only have the OST.

QUOTE even interspersing most of the Disc 4 tracks where I used to have them on my cassette versions.

How did you sequence 'em?

--------------

Vosk says:

I for one would never just toss my CD's if I got a more superior version of a release a few years later. I spent money and time getting, I won't toss it out like that.

However if I never owned the OST (say for Goldsmith's Alien) then I would buy the Deluxe Edition instead. No point on having a duplicate.

--------------

Kendal_Ozzel says:

QUOTE (davros72 @ Nov 10 2008, 03:21 PM) QUOTE (mattmane @ Nov 10 2008, 03:06 PM) If Amazon's US price was down to $41.99 at one point, why were we charged $44.99 ? This goes against their Low-Price Guarantee...

Since it has already shipped, they'll send you an email after the release date telling you they've refunded your credit card for the difference. Remember, the deal is "lowest price by the end of the release date"; the price could drop even lower (although in this case I doubt it will). But they're not going to do anything until after Tuesday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/detail...p/AWT354OR7BM1U (Amazon's Pre-order Price Guarantee)

--------------

Darth Wojo says:

I would think you could only tell a track on a CD has the wrong pitch by your ears of if you just plain knew it. You'd compare it against the original, whether that's an earlier recording, what's on film, or what someone in the business or recording told you. If there was an audio selection that was note for note identical to another selection of the same material, but there is a difference in time, then chances are one of them is sped up or down, and hence is the wrong pitch.

An audio program is not going to "know" an audio track is the wrong pitch because it has no other frame of reference like I listed above. Each track is its own baseline.

Now if the violins were tuned improperly with respect to the the trumpets in the recording, you could tell that, but changing the pitch of the audio track won't fix that.

As for loss of quality, I think that comes from compression and re-encoding processes, not from speeding up or slowing down audio. Granted, if you speed up your favorite song so it sounds like the Chipmunks sing it, you could argue that you lost quality; slow it down, and the quality's there.

I have no intention of buying the Superman Blue Box. Ever. $140+ for music I don't want is stupid. The Superman Rhino will always be good enough for me.

--------------

Vosk says:

QUOTE (Darth Wojo @ Nov 10 2008, 07:16 PM) I have no intention of buying the Superman Blue Box. Ever. $140+ for music I don't want is stupid. The Superman Rhino will always be good enough for me.

You would think that the price wouldn't matter to quite a bit of people... trust me the FSM Superman set is much more superior in sound quality than the Rhino edition.

--------------

Taikomochi says:

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 10 2008, 06:08 PM) Superman OST

I always liked the presentation of the Superman OST as compared to other versions. I think that'd be one I'd keep.

--------------

Darth Wojo says:

I have no problem with paying a lot of money for quality. If I had any interest in Superman II, III, and IV, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But I don't.

That $140 will put a nice dent in the computer system I'm planning to build in the coming weeks.

--------------

Nick Parker says:

Well, I did not receive anything today. Here is to Wednesday....

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

You got to have the perfect pitch to notice a .25 semitone variation. I'm not saying this isn't a problem, it's the job of the producer, the sound engineer and the mastering engineer to release tracks with the correct pitch.

However, the original Raiders album had incorrect pitch on several tracks, so probaly the fault is on the actual original session tapes or more likely the 2nd generation masters used for the original album (which has been used for the Concord release, I guess).

--------------

Henry Buck says:

I don't have perfect pitch; it took a comparison to reveal the difference to me. I noticed it in working with "Return to the Village / Raiders March" because it sounded off compared to "End Credits" from disc 2. The pitch needs to be corrected in order to perform the segue from "The Broken Bridge / British Relief" into "Return to the Village / Raiders March."

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

If you're editing and comparing tracks, yes, the difference is immediately noticeable. Correcting pitch with multitrack audio editors is a pretty simple thing to do, by the way.

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

I noticed on Raiders right away that things were fast. I only loaded it into Pro Tools to make sure I wasn't being critical, which no doubt some of you would say I am.

So http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-kDwhv0Pw&fmt=18 (here's a little video of "Airplane Fight"). The left channel is the DCC and the right channel is the Concord. The waveform in the picture show part of it that's off. Note that they start at precisely the same time. Also, this is not a true stereo mix here, I panned both channels over to either the left or the right. And the volume differences are simply because I turned down the Concord version. None of that effects the actual speed difference comparison. So far "Map Room" is the worst offender. It doesn't line up with the movie and is over 3 seconds sooner than the DCC, which does line up with the movie.

And every cue on the Concord Raiders was faster to varying degrees. So far "Map Room", "Well of the Souls" and "Airplane Fight" showed the greatest degree of drift. I haven't checked the sequels yet.

Neil

--------------

Vosk says:

Neil,

That first video you linked to says it's no longer available.

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

The high quality version takes longer to load I guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-kDwhv0Pw (Look at the mono one). You'll hear phasing at the start and then a mess at the end.

Neil

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

Well, someone clearly didn't do his job well.

--------------

Darth Wojo says:

It's there, you just have to hunt for it...

Neil, that was one of the most awkward things I have ever listened to in my life. Wow. That's worse than sitting where you can listen to two different TV broadcasts of the same event from different rooms, where one audio feed is a few seconds ahead of the other.

I think what's going to happen is I'll just re-rip my DCC version in its entirety, and add in the few "new" Raiders tracks that this set offers. Truthfully that means out of a $40 set, aside from disc 4 being a coaster, most of disc 1 is as well. The real value of this set is for the "new" ToD and cleaned up TLC material, and the unreleased stuff on disc 5.

And Steven Spielberg is not a very good whistler.

--------------

Nick Parker says:

He is certainly better than I am.

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

So, did they got the pitch wrong or did they run the tapes at the wrong speed?

--------------

tjguitar says:

I don't think the intentions are to toss, but rather if you sell it, it would help pay for the new version, or for future soundtrack purchases.

And Neil, he's right, the first video is "no longer available".

--------------

Nick Parker says:

QUOTE (Maurizio Caschetto @ Nov 10 2008, 05:18 PM) So, did they got the pitch wrong or did they run the tapes at the wrong speed?

Though I would have to listen again to confirm, I believe that the tape was run at the wrong speed.

--------------

Vosk says:

So unless I actually compared the differences I probably wouldn't really hear the difference that much. I guess I probably won't bother pitching it correctly unless someone does find out the exact number to pitch it to.

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

Let's hope this error affected just Raiders. If they got wrong ToD and LC as well, oh my...

--------------

Mark Olivarez says:

Sigh...I remember the good ole days when one just bought the CD home and listened to it. :angry:

--------------

Vosk says:

QUOTE (Mark Olivarez @ Nov 10 2008, 08:29 PM) Sigh...I remember the good ole days when one just bought the CD home and listened to it. :blink:

Me too.

--------------

Maurizio Caschetto says:

QUOTE (Vosk @ Nov 11 2008, 01:26 AM) QUOTE (Maurizio Caschetto @ Nov 10 2008, 08:03 PM) Well, someone clearly didn't do his job well. This should be recalled for correction and re-release imho.

That's a bit premature isn't it? I don't think the casual listener will notice a difference.

I don't want to sound negative just for the sake of it. But it's evident that here someone got this wrong. Of course the casual listener won't notice it, but it's not a good excuse for making errors like this (albeit it already happened to other releases, like the original Home Alone 2 album).

I'm sure whoever did the remastering at the wrong speed or pitch, he did it in good faith.

--------------

chinaismine says:

QUOTE (Neil S. Bulk @ Nov 10 2008, 12:52 PM) I noticed on Raiders right away that things were fast. I only loaded it into Pro Tools to make sure I wasn't being critical, which no doubt some of you would say I am.

So http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-kDwhv0Pw&fmt=18 (here's a little video of "Airplane Fight"). The left channel is the DCC and the right channel is the Concord. The waveform in the picture shows part of it that's off. Note that they start at precisely the same time. Also, this is not a true stereo mix here, I panned both channels over to either the left or the right. And the volume differences are simply because I turned down the Concord version. None of that effects the actual speed difference comparison. So far "Map Room" is the worst offender. It doesn't line up with the movie and is over 3 seconds sooner than the DCC, which does line up with the movie.

And every cue on the Concord Raiders was faster to varying degrees. So far "Map Room", "Well of the Souls" and "Airplane Fight" showed the greatest degree of drift. I haven't checked the sequels yet.

(mono version with phasing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-kDwhv0Pw (here))

Neil

So would the blame for this go on Patricia Sullivan, Shawn Murphy, or someone else?

--------------

Koray Savas says:

Amazon shipped my set out tonight. Estimated arrival is tomorrow.

--------------

Neil S. Bulk says:

QUOTE (Vosk @ Nov 10 2008, 04:26 PM) So unless I actually compared the differences I probably wouldn't really hear the difference that much. I guess I probably won't bother pitching it correctly unless someone does find out the exact number to pitch it to.

I didn't have to compare them, but it did reveal what I suspected. I thought "In The Jungle" sounded fast on my first listen to the Concord. It drifts by at least a second at the end.

Neil

--------------

Vosk says:

QUOTE (Neil S. Bulk @ Nov 10 2008, 08:04 PM) QUOTE (Vosk @ Nov 10 2008, 04:26 PM) So unless I actually compared the differences I probably wouldn't really hear the difference that much. I guess I probably won't bother pitching it correctly unless someone does find out the exact number to pitch it to.

I didn't have to compare them, but it did reveal what I suspected. I thought "In The Jungle" sounded fast on my first listen to the Concord. It drifts by at least a second at the end.

Neil

Hmmm okay do you know what the exact number is to pitch it correctly?

I too would be interested to know what other tracks I have to pitch correctly.

And that's everything!

Regarding pitch issues... if Neil's observation for RAIDERS was any indication... if the pitch actually DRIFTS within the cue, wouldn't it be near impossible to fix it without totally messing with the sound quality and making things sound even weirder than they already do?

A few more questions for you lucky people who already have the set. :rolleyes:

1) - ToD Track 22 "End Credits" - I believe this is the same as the OST. I just want to check though, does the Raiders March start by itself, or does the track still have the fadeout from the end of "Indy Is Alive" on the previous cue ("British Relief")?

2) - Disc 5 Track 12 "Return To The Village" - Does this start the same way as the "End Credits" track mentioned above with the fadeout?

3) - ToD Track 17 "Short Round Helps" - Presumably this starts with (I think) a variation of Short Round's theme? You can't really hear it in the film because of the last note of "Slave Children's Crusade".

If anyone replies, thanks! :rolleyes:

A few more questions for you lucky people who already have the set. :rolleyes:

1) - ToD Track 22 "End Credits" - I believe this is the same as the OST. I just want to check though, does the Raiders March start by itself, or does the track still have the fadeout from the end of "Indy Is Alive" on the previous cue ("British Relief")?

2) - Disc 5 Track 12 "Return To The Village" - Does this start the same way as the "End Credits" track mentioned above with the fadeout?

3) - ToD Track 17 "Short Round Helps" - Presumably this starts with (I think) a variation of Short Round's theme? You can't really hear it in the film because of the last note of "Slave Children's Crusade".

If anyone replies, thanks! :rolleyes:

1 the track is completely identical to the OST version

2 Yes, the first 32 seconds of these tracks are identical to each other

3 yes

It's the same as the OST.

No, it starts the same way as the OST version, though with a different, out of tune sound source.

Yes.

Jason, do you think you could add some pitch correction instructions to the Indy music website you and Ricard have? The idea of reading through so many pages to find the info is daunting, and it would be very handy to have at hand on the site (which has been invaluble, by the way).

It's on a couple cues from Last Crusade.

Is it more audible on the Concord because of the better sound quality?

Not really. It's most prominent in the unreleased end of "Indy's Very First Adventure" and "Death of Kasim."

Well, just finished a straight through listen of Last Crusade , I can definately elevate this score to the level of the other ones now. The missing cues don't really matter that much on this score . Alarm! compensates for the other cues on the bootleg

K.M.

Well, just finished a straight through listen of Last Crusade , I can definately elevate this score to the level of the other ones now. The missing cues don't really matter that much on this score .

K.M.

Last Crusade seems to be the only score that has no major problems whatsoever. I hear no one complaining about this one. That's good, because I think this is my favorite...

I just realized... they should have included Package from Dad, because that's actually a continuation of The Boat Scene. BS ends with the A-section of Raiders March (played in such a lovely way!) and Package started with the B-section (also played in a lovely way by a clarinet!). I'm still bummed about that!

You're both crazy. The fact that "The Two Joneses" / "Elsa's Betrayal" is missing in a travesty. Should have been on there instead of "Father And Son Reunited" and "Marcus Is Captured / To Berlin"

You're both crazy. The fact that "The Two Joneses" / "Elsa's Betrayal" is missing in a travesty. Should have been on there instead of "Father And Son Reunited" and "Marcus Is Captured / To Berlin"

Yeah, you're right!

But at least we have "Dad's Study" which has some VERY nice examples of the Holy Grail Theme!

On Temple of Doom , there seems to be this gaping hole between Indy and the Villagers and Short Rounds Theme where Fortune and Glory is supposed to go.

The Grail Theme in Father's Study is the Last Crusade equivalent of Washington Men

On Temple of Doom , there seems to be this gaping hole between Indy and the Villagers and Short Rounds Theme where Fortune and Glory is supposed to go.

Reading this thread, I'm getting the feeling that both Raiders and Temple are unlistenable, because of pitch and sound quality! I hope that's not true.

:)

another travesty!

The issue with Short Round Helps is the volume is lower than the other tracks. I needs to be adjusted

there's no pitch problem in Temple of Doom

There is on "Return To The Village"

Not really.Sounds fine to me

Can anyone contradict me, please? "No Jessie, it's not bad, they still sound great..." :)

No Jessie,they still sound great

there's no pitch or sound quality problem in Temple of Doom

You bet there is. "The Broken Bridge / British Relief" is especially bad. Don't tell me the sound doesn't suddenly get distant and muddled when the British fanfare kicks in. If it wasn't for the clean ending, I'd have thought this music was taken straight from the dated film stems. "Return to the Village" is also very disappointing aurally. I don't think it simply starts at the wrong pitch; it seems to warble throughout the entire track, making everything sound grating and out of tune.

I thought Cerrabore said there was on "Return To The Village"?

Who?????

Damn!!!!! My daughter called me to let me know I received a package in the mail but it's not the one I wanted........ :)

I thought Cerrabore said there was on "Return To The Village"?

Who?????

Sorry, I keep forgetting he goes by Henry Buck now

Damn!!!!! My daughter called me to let me know I received a package in the mail but it's not the one I wanted........ :)

I know the feeling. WHen I got home today, there was apackage just the right size for the box set, but it turned out to be shoes.

Reading this thread, I'm getting the feeling that both Raiders and Temple are unlistenable, because of pitch and sound quality! I hope that's not true.

:)

Not unlistenable by any stretch of the imagination. To tell you the truth, on the first listen through I didn't notice anything wrong. Of course, it was just about my first listen to the scores ever, so I was sort of overcome with the music.

I notice the first part of the water cue besides the indy theme at the beginning , theirs no way to edit that as it is heard in the film.

Can you explain what you mean a little better?

I notice the first part of the water cue besides the indy theme at the beginning , theirs no way to edit that as it is heard in the film.

That cue is a mess of edits. You really want to cut it apart?

Neil

But at least we have "Dad's Study" which has some VERY nice examples of the Holy Grail Theme!

Yeah, I love that moment. I'd say the version is about as enjoyable as the ones in Wrong Choice/Right Choice. In my opinion its the only time in the movie that the theme sounds very powerfull in a more threatening way, more similar to the effect of the ark theme in Raiders than the other versions later in the movie. And it has this effect even without a massive use of choir, which is actually quite astounding.

Oh, how much I hope I'll find my set when I go home today! (no updates at the USPS tracking site since Monday, though :) )

Oh, how much I hope I'll find my set when I go home today! (no updates at the USPS tracking site since Monday, though :) )

USPS is very slow at updating their tracking. Sometimes they won't update it until after it's delivered. I don't think today's mail for me has come yet...but I won't be checking it until after my parents and I head to my brother Russ's tonight for dinner.

That cue is a mess of edits. You really want to cut it apart?

Neil

Wait, the film edit is a mess, or the CD version?

Oh, wait. Come to think of it, I do remember hearing some odd fading in and out of the music. Not completely, just moving out, then back in, and some other like-problems. I thought it must be my headphone connection, so each time it happened, I just played with the connection, and it stopped :)

Still, I only noticed it a couple times.