Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

Where exactly is this "click track"? I cannot find it ( I am currently re-listening to "Indy's First Adventure").

It is there through most of "Death of Kazim" as well. I can't give you exact track times on "Indy's Very First Adventure", but it pops up frequently if I remember correctly.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from the pictures, the box set for the Indiana Jones doesn't look that bad but I agree that so far from the pictures the Superman FSM Blue Box box presentation is a lot nicer looking.

KotCS is not expanded .It's only expanded if you put the extra tracks from the DVD previz

Ok ,anyone knows if SAE has the box IN STOCK ?..it would say on the website if they ran out, right?

Well let's hope they inform us.

But SAE still hasn't sent me any confirmation that my set would have been shipped. Which of course does not mean that is hasn't because I remember once receiving an e-mail the day before I got CD I ordered from them. And I live in Finland. Somehow it seems to me that they do not think informing the customer is their highest priority.

oh,well,,no that's not good enough for me to switch my order then

My set left Denver!

There are these little "homing" devices that they placed on all of the runners for the New York marathon, so that they could be tracked during the race.... wouldn't it have been hilarious if such devices had been placed in our orders?! We could've had a screen with tiny dots migrating to our homes..... :ola: Now THAT would be tracking.

About these tracks that you people are combining into "super-tracks"...are they places where multiple tracks clearly do run together, or places where the producers placed a fade-out, little bit of silence, and then the next track begins, and you just know from the movie that they should flow into each other?

Give you an example...I was listening to Star Trek: The Motion Picture last night, and The Meld is followed by A Good Start. My MP3 CD rip is several years old and reflects the album exactly, meaning those two really ought to be the same track so there's no gap in between, like my CD player puts in. Another place is in Star Trek: IX, where The Healing Process flows naturally into the End Credits, or Star Trek X where the first two tracks flow together, and I did "glue" those together.

Is this Indy material broken up like that?

The music gets a 10 for sure.

It would be inappropriate for me to comment on the other aspects of the set.

Neil

Why would it be inappropriate?

The three tracks I'm talking about all sound like they were intended to flow together. Each one ends as though its about to lead into the next. It was extremely easy to sync them and once edited it flows beautifully. If it didn't sound right, I wouldn't go with it.

About these tracks that you people are combining into "super-tracks"...are they places where multiple tracks clearly do run together, or places where the producers placed a fade-out, little bit of silence, and then the next track begins, and you just know from the movie that they should flow into each other?

Give you an example...I was listening to Star Trek: The Motion Picture last night, and The Meld is followed by A Good Start. My MP3 CD rip is several years old and reflects the album exactly, meaning those two really ought to be the same track so there's no gap in between, like my CD player puts in. Another place is in Star Trek: IX, where The Healing Process flows naturally into the End Credits, or Star Trek X where the first two tracks flow together, and I did "glue" those together.

Is this Indy material broken up like that?

They just plopped the full version of the cues as recorded into the new set. Many of them where made to be combined with other tracks, which the producers of this set decided not to do (with the 1 exception of combining the 3rd Cross Of Coronado cues with the 2nd)

Thanks, MrScratch, I think that answers it. I use Cdex to rip (because Exact Audio Copy stopped recognizing my optical drives), and it has the ability to rip multiple tracks as a single track, which is what I'm gonna do.

Thanks, MrScratch, I think that answers it. I use Cdex to rip (because Exact Audio Copy stopped recognizing my optical drives), and it has the ability to rip multiple tracks as a single track, which is what I'm gonna do.

You don't seem to understand; That won't do what you want. Doing that the music will still end on a sustained note... fade out... silence... next cue starts.

You have to use a wav editor to make the next cue overlap the sustained note that ended the first cue

There are probably 20 times throughout the set that this should have been done but wasn't.

Right, there needs to an overlap at just the right note. The most obvious (to me) is Slave Children's Crusade and Short Round Helps, the last note of 'Crusade' and the first note of 'Helps' should overlap. There should be no silence whatsoever going from one cue to the next.

The Superman box has better packaging. FAR better packaging!

(Ignoring the fact that many people were complaining about their books falling apart within hours...)

I'm not so sure. What do you mean by "packaging"? The box and the jewelcases/digipaks? I'd say it's a toss up. The Superman box itself was a good, solid box (the Indy box is a good box, too), but I felt the Superman jewelcases themselves were not the greatest. Granted, they had to jam in 8 CDs somehow without having a ridiculous-sized box, but the 2 4-CD jewelcases ended up just kinda clumsy, IMHO. The book (mine didn't fall apart but I could tell it wouldn't take much, so I was extremely careful) was a FAR superior presentation compared to the Indy box and its pictures-galore stupidity, there's no question about that. The Indy digipaks, while not a great choice over jewelcases, to me look a lot nicer and more slick than the Superman jewelcases.

But I guess it's a matter of opinion. :ola:

Well at least Lukas was upfront that there was a problem with the book and they tried to fix the problem. Although the book that came with the Bernstein box seems to be bound the same way, even though it doesn't have as many pages, and has yet to fall apart.

I prefer those bulky multiple disc jewel cases compared to the silly thin 2 disc versions that are a pain because the middle tray always seems to pop out whenever you open them.

The only complaint I have about the IJ packaging is that they used digipaks and put the 5th disc in a carboard sleeve. But since they come in a solid slip case the digipaks should last quite awhile.

I think it's an odd choice to have 25 minutes of completely wasted disc space plus a 17 minute interview. The remaining unreleased cues and source music could have fit in this space and interview should have been put in the booklet where it belongs. CD space was wasted and the booklet was wasted, I don't sit around looking at pictures from the films. All in all though, I'm pleased with the set and thrilled to finally be getting this music. Hopefully, one day we'll get an ultimate Superman-style box with everything included and done right.

There are probably 20 times throughout the set that this should have been done but wasn't.

Jason, what else on this set would you combine? I'm not nearly as familiar with Last Crusade.

I think it's an odd choice to have 25 minutes of completely wasted disc space plus a 17 minute interview. The remaining unreleased cues and source music could have fit in this space and interview should have been put in the booklet where it belongs. CD space was wasted and the booklet was wasted, I don't sit around looking at pictures from the films. All in all though, I'm pleased with the set and thrilled to finally be getting this music. Hopefully, one day we'll get an ultimate Superman-style box with everything included and done right.

Jason, what else on this set would you combine? I'm not nearly as familiar with Last Crusade.

All that information will be posted to www.indianajonesmusic.com tonight

Basically, though, any cue that ends on a loud single note was probably meant to be combined with another track

Its far cheaper than the Superman box!

You get what you pay for.

Neil

Absolutely, I'm just saying that if someone's whining about the price on THIS, look at the blue box.....Then again, they probably thought that was too expensive, too.

Neil,

How would you score this release on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being the best and how would that compare to the Superman Box?

Just curious.

Neil

Why is that?

So happy my box came! :ola:

I sampled some of the tracks on my car CD player on the commute home. So good to hear so many previously-unreleased tracks in non-DVDrip/non-bootleg quality!

After getting home, I ripped the CDs onto my computer, and did my sequencing. (Thank you Jason for your efforts and especially your spreadsheets!) I then began listening (via iPod) to each of the films in order, starting with Raiders.

I'm hearing some great quality in the Concord tracks. There are little instrumentation things and some counter-melody bits that I've never heard before, and I've listened to these soundtracks A LOT in the last 20-odd years, believe me. There's some cool stuff going on in the background as "Washington Men/Indy's Home" decrescendos to the end, for instance. The dip in sound quality between Concord and the DCC releases is noticeable but not extreme, it's acceptable. The one track that's a bit weak-sounding quality-level wise is a copy of the LP rip of the "Uncovering the Ark" portion that has the "Marion Into the Pit" section on the end, but it's good to have that small section included regardless of the dip in sound quality. I did not notice any pitch problems myself, except that one Concord track felt slightly sped up, I cannot remember for sure which but I think it might have been "The Map Room: Dawn". And the rendition of the Raiders March as Indy climbs onto the German sub is still absolutely the tops!

Overall, Raiders sounds terrific!

Over the next few days, it'll be Temple and Last Crusade, and then crumb's expanded KOTCS. Curse you, work and school, for taking up my precious Indy box set listening time!!

I finally had a chance to listen to some of the tracks in actual good quality and somewhat loud

I heard things I've never heard before in a bunch of Raiders tracks, including not only the new tracks but tracks we've had before as well

The Broken Bridge doesn't have a little of "The Rope Bridge" in the beginning, I dunno who said that but it's not there

I heard the click track in Indy's Very First Adventure, The Boat Scene, and I think Journey to Austria or Alarm!.... it's pretty distracting

Thew new Indy's First Adventure segment sounded the same as the bootleg version to me

The Broken Bridge doesn't have a little of "The Rope Bridge" in the beginning, I dunno who said that but it's not there

What do you mean? It doesn't have ANY of the Rope Bridge in there. :ola: :ola:

Ugh...How i miss it. I thought the percussion portions of Temple were some of the best music out there.

I would've loved to have had the True Believer portion as well.

maybe someday.... :(

I only paid $36 for this set. I would gladly have paid triple that for complete versions of the scores. I did for Superman and I don't love those nearly as much as these 4.

All that information will be posted to www.indianajonesmusic.com tonight

Basically, though, any cue that ends on a loud single note was probably meant to be combined with another track

Thank you for doing this, Jason. I'll be sure to look for it tonight.

Apparently amazon.co.uk is mailing everyone to cancel their order for the box. See the FSM board.

Apparently their brief price of 18 pounds was a mistake.

Is it even legal of them to refuse to ship the box to the people who bought it at that price at that time?

I'm expecting an e-mail myself any moment. I might not even have the set next week.

[. Granted, they had to jam in 8 CDs somehow without having a ridiculous-sized box, but the 2 4-CD jewelcases ended up just kinda clumsy, IMHO. s.

I should have been 4 independent 2 c.d. jewel cases .I hate having Superman The Movie stuck with Superman 2

[. Granted, they had to jam in 8 CDs somehow without having a ridiculous-sized box, but the 2 4-CD jewelcases ended up just kinda clumsy, IMHO. s.

I should have been 4 independent 2 c.d. jewel cases .I hate having Superman The Movie stuck with Superman 2

Agree 100%

some people prefer non combined cues ,like me .I hate those big "Battle of Endor " type of cues.

I only combined a few ,like Map/out of Fuel into Slalom ,but I prefer to have the option to do it myself

some people prefer non combined cues ,like me .I hate those big "Battle of Endor " type of cues.

I only combined a few ,like Map/out of Fuel into Slalom ,but I prefer to have the option to do it myself

Yeah I would have to agree.

You can combine them so that they SOUND right, but then still separate them back into their own tracks to make better CDs / mp3s. ipods have gapless playback now as do (obviously) cds

I finally had a chance to listen to some of the tracks in actual good quality and somewhat loud

I heard the click track in Indy's Very First Adventure, The Boat Scene, and I think Journey to Austria or Alarm!.... it's pretty distracting

I only hear it in Indy's First Adventure and Death of Kazim

In Journey to Austria it sounds more like orchestra noises

I tend to like uncombined cues myself. I never ever listen to the Battle of Hoth and Battle of Endor mammoths. Williams wrote individual setpieces for those movies, and that's how I listen to them. But for the action in TOD, they go together musically and are more satisfying running into one another. One piece ends and the other begins on the same note, having a gap between them doesn't sound right. "Saving Willie" & "Childrens Crusade" is arguable (my edit says otherwise though), but "Childrens Crusade" to "Short Round Helps" simply must go together. I've been listening to "Slave Children" for 24 years, and I just never liked the way it ended. Now, together it feels resolved. "Slave Children" by itself ends on a cliffhanger musically, but with Shorty's theme striding in on that last note and turning things around the piece feels complete.

The three of them together I've named "Underground Chaos" because I hate really long combined track titles like "Saving Willie/Slave Childrens Crusade/Short Round Helps". And I've come to know the unreleased music under that name for so long now anyway.

Neil

Because I want to keep working in this industry and don't want to start saying the wrong thing.

Neil

Looks like it's official

Most of us Canadians have noticed that Amazon.ca's order page has said the release date has been moved in Canada to November 25th but my order page has been still telling me Nov 18th ... that was at least it was saying that till I got the email saying they have in fact moved to the 25th not moments ago.

I have no problem waiting for a date but if they would just pick one and stick with it this would be way less frustrating...

Brian99_1 - Who just wants to hear the scores before the next ice age!

Neil

Because I want to keep working in this industry and don't want to start saying the wrong thing.

Neil

What is your job in this industry currently?

And, Fraulein Lohner: the scores are not "unlistenable". Quite the contrary. Of course, my opinion may be influenced by the fact that I have never listened to these scores outside of their respected films.

Thanks, I am relieved! :spiny:

Looks like it's official

Most of us Canadians have noticed that Amazon.ca's order page has said the release date has been moved in Canada to November 25th but my order page has been still telling me Nov 18th ... that was at least it was saying that till I got the email saying they have in fact moved to the 25th not moments ago.

I have no problem waiting for a date but if they would just pick one and stick with it this would be way less frustrating...

Looks like it's official

It's absolutely the first and LAST time I pre-order something from Amazon .ca

Right now the only thing preventing me from switching is that places like SAE are probably swapped with orders and might come up short too .

Looks like it's official

Looks like it's official

Right now the only thing preventing me from switching is that places like SAE are probably swapped with orders and might come up short too .

Those of you who live in Canada, why don't you just order it from amazon.com?

Looks like it's official

Looks like it's official

At least yours isn't in with a chance of being cancelled because they put the wrong price up.

I've cancelled my Amazon order and asked a friend who works at HMV to put a copy back for me.

I don't know anything about pitch problems so I won't even comment on something I'm clearly not qualified to. But the Map Room: Dawn sounds better than ever on the Concord disc. The choir sounds much more alive

I am confused about the missing ten seconds of "The Rolling Ball". I have the ten second track, but, comparing the complete cue list with my concord track times, they both show 1:34. Where does the extra 10 seconds go, and why does the complete cue list show the same time as the concord track if the concord track is missing music?

I am confused about the missing ten seconds of "The Rolling Ball". I have the ten second track, but, comparing the complete cue list with my concord track times, they both show 1:34. Where does the extra 10 seconds go, and why does the complete cue list show the same time as the concord track if the concord track is missing music?

The Concord track (and the DCC version for that matter) present the full cue as it was originally recorded.

Then the scene was lengthened in the editing process, so an insert was recorded separately at a later time and inserted into the middle of the original cue to match the new longer scene.

Make sense?

Becase on top of the 20% exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and US dollar ,Amazon,com adds somekind of 10$ "customs fee" ,so the set would cost me about 75$ instead of 53$.

At least SAE just writes "gift" on the box and that takes care of customs

Becase on top of the 20% exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and US dollar ,Amazon,com adds somekind of 10$ "customs fee" ,so the set would cost me about 75$ instead of 53$.

Why don't you do this? Rent a mail box close to the border and have it shipped to your mail box. Then, when you have time, you can get it at your own leisure.

:spiny:

That's EXACTLLY WHY!!!

I've been hit a few times by customs thanks to amazon.com

Why don't you do this? Rent a mail box close to the border and have it shipped to your mail box. Then, when you have time, you can get it at your own leisure.

:spiny:

wel,that would cost about 10$ (or more )of gas + customs hassle of having to hide said item

Oh, I see. So the track sounds better without the insert?

Not really since the Concord or DCC has excellent sound quality while the bootleg track has bootleg sound quality....

It would have been nice if they found a good version of it and included it in the track in the Concord set, but oh well