Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that is not the only alternative. They could have done it "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Expanded)" or "Tomorrow Never Dies (Expanded)" style, where the cues are properly segued together, but still their own individual tracks

I'm not talking about Howard Shore, I'm talking about LORD OF THE RINGS. You know, that little trilogy that came along a few years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I love Indy and his music MORE than LOTR. But in the eye of the public... I'm not sure it's the same. I'd like to see sales figures, and it doesn't help that Indy has had a pretty lousy time with some of his OSTs (i.e. DOOM), but considering the smash both the LOTR films and soundtracks were, I think it'd go on LOTR's side. Also, LOTR has had an in-built fan base thirty years before Indiana Jones existed.

Can of worms now open, I guess.

Indiana Jones also has a huge fanbase that should not be underestimasted.

The people at Reprise Records and Shore just realized that there was a market for top-of-the-line, complete and cronological releases for these scores. For some reason Lucasfilm and John Williams don't seem to think exapanded Star Wars or Indiana Jones scores sell well enough to go all out and release them as full-bore 2 CD, contains every note releases.

What can you say? Better music gets better releases.

I don't think Williams favors that approach, he wants each track to be a seperate entity.

With the approach I just outlined, each track is its own separate entity.

Besides, "Short Round Helps" and "Indy Takes Charge" were combined. "Washington Ending" and "Raiders March" were combined. "Nocturnal Activities" and "Stangle Hold" where combined. "The Broken Bridge" and "British Relief" were combined. "The Scroll" and "To Pankot Palace" where combined. etc.

Heck, even "Flight To Venice" and "X Marks The Spot" where combined when they weren't supposed to be.

There is nothing consistent about this box set

Also, there would be a annoying skipping noise if you played these cues on most MP3 players.

Not "most". Just some (old ones)

Also, there would be a annoying skipping noise if you played these cues on most MP3 players.

Not "most". Just some (old ones)

Well, probably most, actually. My iPod does the skipping and my Gigabeat does the skipping. So...

So those of you who think that it's better that "Indy Negotiates" wasn't combined with "The Nightclub Brawl" or that "Out Of Fuel" wasn't combined with "Down The Snowbank", are you pissed that "Nocturnal Activities" is combined with "Strange Hold" or that "Short Round Helps Out" is combined with "Indy Takes Charge"?

I don't care one way or another. I've combined Saving Willie / Slave Children's Crusade / Short Round Helps and Return To The Village/Raiders March with the TOD End Credits.

I'll see how that feels for a while, and may decide to do a few more tweaks later.

I don't mind not having the cues joined because you can do it yourself for your own playlists. It's just when you're listening to the CDs in the car (or wherever) that it sounds a bit dodgey.

For ToD, I'd say the two biggest offenders are "Out Of Fuel" into Slalom On Mt Humol", and "Saving Willie" into "Slave Children's Crusade"

I would say "The Nightclub Brawl" into "Through Chinatown" is pretty bad too, but I love the last long note so I don't mind! ;)

I'm happy the way it is. I only combined a couple of cues (Underground Chaos and Water etc, plus Return to the Village/End Credits). And as TOD is such a frantic score, I think it's a better listen if we have some breathing room. Personal preference, of course.

Yeah, y'know the Mine Car Chase kinda sucks....

Kidding. No, I mean I combined the three cues that make up Underground Chaos, and the cues that make up the final bit (Water/Sword Trick/Rope Percussion/The Broken Bridge/British Relief.)

So those of you who think that it's better that "Indy Negotiates" wasn't combined with "The Nightclub Brawl" or that "Out Of Fuel" wasn't combined with "Down The Snowbank", are you pissed that "Nocturnal Activities" is combined with "Strange Hold" or that "Short Round Helps Out" is combined with "Indy Takes Charge"?

Jason, I feel there is a buildup in the romantic tension of Nocturnal Activites that pays off in Strangle Hold, in some weird way it works that the playful tension of Nocturnal Activites turned into life or death, literally. It kind of sums up the tone of the movie itself. Some cues are better combined in my opinion, some of left seperately.

Even on the cues I did combine, I still kept them as seperate tracks on my CD/playlists. The only exception being Out of Fuel/Slalom which I will never listen to seperately ever again, they were comined and made one single track on my playlist. Out of Fuel makes Slalom a much better piece of music, they cannot exist seperately ever again for me.

Indy Negotiates and Nightclub Brawl, I can see why people combine these. I'm thinking of doing it myself. But I will still keep them as seperate tracks, Negotiates will just run right into Brawl uninterupted.

Fast Streets of Shanghai, maybe I'm used to hearing it on the OST by itself all these years I don't know but I want it as its own seperate cue. The Nightclub stuff is one setpiece and the car chase is another seperate scene, musically they just bump shoulders. Just because they can be combined doesn't enhance either track by doing so, I will always keep Fast Streets totally seperate from the cue before and after it.

Out of Fuel and Slalom on Mt. Humol, combining these is an absolute must. As I keep saying, I'll never listen to either of these seperated ever again. I don't want Fast Streets running into the Map cue, at this point the Shanghai adventure is completely over and a new adventure begins. I want a pause between the two, even Indy got to take a rest between the two cues. ;)

Nocturnal/Passage/Bug Tunnel, again each cue works wonderfully on its own. I see no reason to combine them.

Saving Willie/Crusade/Shorty Helps, this is another absolute must combination. There is a momentum that starts in Saving Willie that doesn't let up until the trio land in the mine cart. And Crusade, for the last 24 years, has always felt unresolved to me. As great a piece as it is, it was left unresolved on the original album. When the piece ends, Indy is still fighting the thug and musically it ended on a cliffhangar. So, I am finally happy that the piece can continue as intended.

Water/Sword Trick. I can see why people do combine them, I don't feel it is necessary.

Broken Bridge/Return to the Village. I can't understand why people combine these. The Bridge sequence is its own stunt-filled spectacle, the exciting climax. I don't want this combined with and leading directly into the happy and joyous finale. There needs to a pause between the two for me.

Return/End Credits. I lopped off the beginning of the End Credits and combined it with Return to the Village. It is not the smoothest of edits, but it is better than being left dangling at the end of Return to the Village. I'm getting used to it, and still tinkering with it.

I'm always baffled when someone who claims to be a fan of John Williams excludes some of his undisputed classics (SW OT,Superman,Indy,E.T...)

It means those are people more fans of specific franchises (like anything Star Wars or Harry Potter related) than John Williams fans

I've always stated that Williams isn't my favorite composer, people should know that of me by now. I never got into the Indiana Jones music like most people have here probably because I didn't really care for the films all that much when I was growing up.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but can anyone tell which instruments play the villain's theme in TLC? And I'm not talking about Donovan, but the guy who looks like Indy at the very beginning who wants to "steal" the Cross of Coronado.

You can hear his theme only in Indy's Very First Adventure (at 11:13 and 11:30) and The Boat Scene (at 00:06 and 1:53).

I'm embarrased cause I should know this! :)

I'm pretty sure it's the trombones playing the main statements, backed up by trumpets. Actually, listening to it now the brass don't play it until later in The Boat Scene, rather oboe plays the initial theme, backed by clarinets (all from my ear, so likely incorrect!).

I'm pretty sure it's the trombones playing the main statements, backed up by trumpets. Actually, listening to it now the brass don't play it until later in The Boat Scene, rather oboe plays the initial theme, backed by clarinets (all from my ear, so likely incorrect!).

Oboe and clarinet? :) Hmmmm, you think?

Hell, it's such a nice theme but used in only 2 cues in the film, it seems each instrument set in the orchestra gets a crack at it.

Hell, it's such a nice theme but used in only 2 cues in the film, it seems each instrument set in the orchestra gets a crack at it.

Yeah!! The first 2 tracks of TLC are simply mind-boggling!

And speaking of instruments, what's that instrument in On the Tank at 00:11-00-13 that sounds like an electric drill? :) Is that JW conducting with an electric drill instead of his baton?

OMG, I've been listening to TLC and TOD since yesterday, and I gotta say WOW!

My favorite tracks so far:

Indy Negotiates

Map/Out of Fuel

Short Round Escapes and Helps

The Broken Bridge/The British Relief

Indy's Very First Adventure

The Boat Scene

The Austrian Way

Alarm!

On the Tank

Hey, does anybody know what that percussion instrument is called at the beginning of The Scroll? It sounds like a frog croaking at regular intervals! :) Some kind of Indian instrument, I would guess.

Hey and one other question: do we know for sure now that the bridge percussion wasn't written by JW? Thanks!

Hey and one other question: do we know for sure now that the bridge percussion wasn't written by JW? Thanks!

Unless I've missed some posts regarding this, I think it's a safe bet to say that it is by Williams.

Of course, if we can discover new details we may learn the truth, well see :)

Unless I've missed some posts regarding this, I think it's a safe bet to say that it is by Williams.

Of course, if we can discover new details we may learn the truth, well see :)

I remember reading somewhere on this board that it was NOT by WIlliams. I forgot which thread that was, though...

I remember reading somewhere on this board that it was NOT by WIlliams. I forgot which thread that was, though...

Ha, I know. It sometimes borders on the impossible trying to figure out what to believe.

Like others, I personally find so many stylistic similarities between Williams' Ewok percussion & the percussion used throughout the orchestral music of TOD.

I don't think there is a concrete answer yet, sorry.

Regardless of who wrote it though, it's a piece I've always loved

Ha, I know. It sometimes borders on the impossible trying to figure out what to believe.

Like others, I personally find so many stylistic similarities between Williams' Ewok percussion & the percussion used throughout the orchestral music of TOD.

I don't think there is a concrete answer yet, sorry.

Regardless of who wrote it though, it's a piece I've always loved

Guys, listen to "The Broken Bridge/British Relief" at 2:32. The percussion in the background is a faster version of the bridge percussion. I'm almost 100% convinced that the bridge percussion is by Williams.

Oh who cares... between the lego cues and some DVD rips, I've made a seamless track of the Bridge cue and it's never sounded better. Admittedly, it's a crucial part of the build up to the climax, and a grievous omission from this set. It was intentionally left off for a reason, whatever that may be (producer interference, Williams vetoed it, keepsake for a later release..etC)

After listening to this set and going through the score Analysis that is both on the site by John Takis and also printed in an old issue of FSM from I believe 2003. I'm reminded of the speculation in that issue of the original American release not having the tap dancing in the background throughout anything goes... obviously the Concord set has it, so is it safe to assume the original American release actually did have the tap dancing?

Also does anyone know of a place to get the overdub of Anything goes to make a film version of The Nightclub Brawl ?

Just curious

J moss

I'm sat here now listening to TOD, and I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone else hear the almost painful high pitched whine during "To Pankot Palace"? It starts on track 8 almost dead on 1:21. It's most noticable around 2:13, but it's there right until the end of the track. It's causing me to skip it every time. :)

Ok - for someone who doesn't have these lego rips and only has the 5 year old DVD rips - If I wanted the best possible sounding bridge percussion music where could I go about obtaining it?

PM me for any info. Thanks.