Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried. You all know if I'd gotten the set early I would have reported about it in full detail for all of you.

Neil

What were those guys thinking?

Oh well, maybe in 2012 you & M.M. can do the set 'right'. :ola:

Can anyone navigate through the Amazon.de Indiana Jones page and find out how much international shipping is to Australia? I don't know German...

Prices for Aussies, without shipping:

Amazon.com - $69.47

MovieMusic - $59.12

Amazon.de - $57.20

SAE - $66.45

------

With shipping:

Amazon.com - $76.85 (slowest shipping, 18+ business days for arrival)

MovieMusic - $67.98 (plus unspecified fees for box sets)

SAE - $89.37

So long story short, DO NOT order with SAE.. far out. We get screwed on the shipping fees.

It seems as if standard Air Mail with Movie Music to Australia is in the $15-$20 range, which makes their overall price the most expensive of all. So it's either an extremely delayed Amazon shipment, or an incredibly overpriced fast shipment.

Amazon.ca - $65.85 (slowest shipping, takes 8-12 weeks apparently, but I'd say this is overly generous)

MovieMusic - $80+ (plus unspecified fees for box sets)

SAE - $89.37

Amazon.ca - $65.85 (slowest shipping, takes 8-12 weeks apparently, but I'd say this is overly generous)

SAE - $89.37

You clearly aren't using American Dollars there.

Just cancelled my Amazon, going with MovieMusic.com For about $42 total.

Wait...shipping and tax included, it's 42 bucks?????

Well, probably closer to $43. They've got it for a limited time for $39.99, and then the standard shipping is $2.99.

I'm sticking with my Amazon.com preorder. They have yet to ever fail me (been buying stuff from them for years now) and let us look at the price difference.

My pre-order price at Amazon.com is currently $46.99. I selected 2-day shipping, which adds $6.98. This totals to $53.97.

At MovieMusic.com, they do have the low price of $39.99. However, their 2nd day shipping, according to their "help" page, is $13.99. This totals to $53.98.

So... there you have it. You actually pay .01 cent more at MovieMusic.com, lol. Which is really nothing, I know, but it makes the choice between the two companies now merely based on your preference. I have never ordered from MovieMusic.com and don't know how reliable they really are, so I am sticking with what I know and trust. Especially for something as big as this. And I'm saving a penny! lol.

I didn't look at the price difference with other shipping methods because I am only interested in the 2 day method. I don't want to wait too long for it, nor do I want to pay any extreme price for a single day of shipping. This option always works best for me.

Don't you love marketing tactics? MovieMusic.com sure made it seem attractive, lol. Although maybe it is a lot cheaper at MovieMusic.com for the slower shipping methods for those who are willing to wait longer. I, on the other hand, simply cannot. :huh:

Well whoever is getting this first he/she should post here a comprehensive analysis of this set! Box size, number and content of color photographs and rare artwork, track times, track content (film version VS album track etc.), orchestrational details, soundquality and most of all are there anymore excuses from Bouzereau in the linernotes for his presentation of this music.

I didn't look at the price difference with other shipping methods because I am only interested in the 2 day method. I don't want to wait too long for it, nor do I want to pay any extreme price for a single day of shipping. This option always works best for me.

I can wait. I've already waited for 20-odd years.

SAE - $89.37

You clearly aren't using American Dollars there.

Must be those new Alaskan Dollars!

Well whoever is getting this first he/she should post here a comprehensive analysis of this set! Box size, number and content of color photographs and rare artwork, track times, track content (film version VS album track etc.), orchestrational details, soundquality and most of all are there anymore excuses from Bouzereau in the linernotes for his presentation of this music.

I think whoever gets it first is too busy enjoying the music to do anything else but listen! :(

I love the image I have in my head right now of some of the members listening to the set and frowning/grimacing at what they hear

At this point we know 99,9% what's in the set. Sound quality might be the biggest ?

I know exactly how it's going to be for me: come home after a full day of teaching swimming lessons, soaked to the bone, freezing cold and generally not in a good mood to find my Indy box waiting for me. The rest of that night will be devoted to listening to each score individually. It will be a marvellous day!

As a side note, I'm taking the plunge and ordering the Superman box from SAE for Christmas. The interviews with Mike Matessino have convinced me to update my Rhino edition.

At this point we know 99,9% what's in the set. Sound quality might be the biggest ?

What's the 0,1%? :(

I don't worry much about sound quality. If it's been remastered, it can only sound better, right?

We need an expert's opinion on these matters not some layman's who doesn't know the exact length and content of every cue from every film to a T.

kotcsexpanded.gif

For anyone wondering, these are the track times/names for the Expanded KOTCS. :(

Altogether, it's about 27 minutes of unreleased Williams music, not including source music tracks.

great!

Seconded! I can't wait! Hehehe both the Indy set and your edit crumbs :(

I know exactly how it's going to be for me: come home after a full day of teaching swimming lessons, soaked to the bone, freezing cold and generally not in a good mood to find my Indy box waiting for me. The rest of that night will be devoted to listening to each score individually. It will be a marvellous day!

As a side note, I'm taking the plunge and ordering the Superman box from SAE for Christmas. The interviews with Mike Matessino have convinced me to update my Rhino edition.

I'm still umming and ahhing over whether to do that. I love the Rhino set, and I don't know if I can afford to pay for a box which contains only two soundtracks I really want.

I'm getting it for the book as well. I figure it's a landmark set to have and by buying it it shows my support for similar releases in the future.

My personal favourite of all the new music is Corpse/The Betrayal. Apart from a few magnetic sounds, it's clean and not muffled. On top of that, it's a great atmospheric cue. Really conveys the tension and other worldliness of the sequence. Much more interesting stuff going on than in Secret Doors and Scorpions.

The SFX aren't easy to get rid of on that one, I'm afraid. 'The Bible' is clean as a whistle, but 'Knowledge' is stuck with some rumbling water.

Better than nothing though.

As for what's left over, I didn't include these tracks either because aren't interesting, have distracting SFX, or would be a waste of bandwidth to download (yes, I know the irony of this statement considering 'Paramount Pictures' is included, but it segues into 'Hound Dog' nicely):

- Irina Spalko (gun SFX, boring cue, overlaps with the concert suite anyway)

- Rocket Sled Stops / Dawn (distracting crickets, SFX)

- Indy's house (bleh, boring cue and I never want to hear post-2000 Williams variations on the Raiders 'A' theme again)

- The Legend of Akator (diner sound effects, overlaps with Call of the Crystal)

- KGB Agents (too many diner sound effects)

- The Underground Caves / The Crypt (yawn)

- Corpse / More Akator Stories (too many SFX)

- The Snake Pit ending (might or might not include this, but SFX heavy)

- Waterfalls (phoned out in the film, sound effects galore)

- "Through Eyes and Tears" (boring, SFX heavy)

- Irina Finds the Tracker (SFX heavy)

- The Retracting Staircase (SFX heavy, impossible to rip cleanly)

- Irina Finds the Second Tracker (bleh)

- Entering the Treasure Room (just a horn solo of the 6 'Skull theme' notes)

Can anyone navigate through the Amazon.de Indiana Jones page and find out how much international shipping is to Australia? I don't know German...

Prices for Aussies, without shipping:

Amazon.com - $69.47

MovieMusic - $59.12

Amazon.de - $57.20

SAE - $66.45

------

With shipping:

MovieMusic - $67.98 (plus unspecified fees for box sets)

SAE - $89.37

So long story short, DO NOT order with SAE.. far out. We get screwed on the shipping fees.

Actually for a limited time (until 11/11) Peter lowered the price to $39.99. With priority shipping the total with MovieMusic is $47.98. If you wanna go with them I would if I were you. I canceled my order with Amazon and went with Peter, saved me about $10.

- The Underground Caves / The Crypt (yawn)

- Corpse / More Akator Stories (too many SFX)

There's a low key version of Mutt's "heroic" theme (the one mixed with the Raiders March in end Credits) that should be included .It's when Indy wants to take the knife from the corpse

I looked at that, but all the dialogue echoes throughout the cave scenes anyway. It's a bit of a mess... :(

...unless, of course, the foreign language rips are echo-free in the rear channels!

Here's their English help page.

I disagree. Initial shipping is high, but that's why I never order a single CD there. They have plenty of good deals (including some bargains and the full series of FSM releases) and I can trust them to not get caught by the customs. I get nearly all my DVDs through Play.com these days, but everything above about €21 gets taxed by the customs for sure.

Someone over at FSM posted that they received their set. Apparently disc 5 is in a cardboard sleeve as opposed to a digipack and the sound quality varies amongst the cues. Also the person appears to be impressed with the remastering on LC.

Someone over at FSM posted that they received their set. Apparently disc 5 is in a cardboard sleeve as opposed to a digipack and the sound quality varies amongst the cues. Also the person appears to be impressed with the remastering on LC.

I hope for the US packages the 5th disc isn't in a cardboard sleeve..wonder why the picture would show differently.

Hey! That's a spoiler. Better throw some tags on that! :(

I hope for the US packages the 5th disc isn't in a cardboard sleeve..wonder why the picture would show differently.

Actually in the original picture it does look like it could be a cardboard sleeve. But the clip on Amazon makes it look like a digipack as well.

Full post:

Received this morning. i let you imagine my joy seeing my box!! The bad points are the same noticed by Fake.. but there are more... The 5 cd is in a sleeve sheet and it doesn't look very good. Different tracks offers an different sound. It means that there are not taken from the same source. It miss some cues from the original score in the movies but we already knew that. But despise these points... it is incredible to hear that music. And effectively, the second one is certainly the most appreciable cd! But I have to say that the cd 3 (IJATLC) is now remastered and... it's giant! This box is a miracle!