Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

I like watching the weather report on the news, especially the ten or seven day forecast (five day is a stretch), and knowing that before that last day arrives, I'll already have this Indy box set for my listening pleasure.

if the weather permits it...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this thread too another turn to the twilight zone. Good. I like it. :)

Although there could be something more original to discuss than weather.

Is there anyone who would like to send me the Lego file of 'Map/Out Of Fuel' in WAV/MP3 format please? I love this cue, but I can't play the samples on the web. :)

I would be very grateful if someone could help me here. This was going to be one of the highlights of the set for me, and now it turns out it's a alternate cue! :):);)

so after 136 pages i'm finally gonna chip in, although can't really say anything that hasn't already been discussed.

I enjoyed reading most of this thread (and the previous incarnation of it).

Ordered my set in my hometown at a record shop. According to them it will be released on the 14th by universal nl.

really looking forward to the unreleased TOD tracks and have been watching the film couple of day ago in anticipation. Too bad "shanghai 1935" and "The Catacombs" won't be on there (luckily i have the LC vol 2 cd (although agreed not of the highest quality) and i hope that "The Nightclub Brawl" includes the anything goes bit in it like in the film. Ofcourse i'm sad they edited down "Desert Chase", but i'm happy with all the stuff that is there and who knows they will milk this cash cow again in the future. Can't wait to have this set in my collection however and if i do my phone and front door bell will both go on mute for a while :)

OK I'm analysing the clips now...

Raiders:

The first 2 clips (Washing Men and Bad Dates) appear to start about 5 and a half seconds into the track.... while the 3rd starts about 8 seconds in

The third clip (Indy Rides The Statue) actually contains MORE music than was in the bootleg version of the cue! You can hear it at the end of the clip. The bootleg version jumped over some of this music, probably do to poor quality on whatever tape they stole

yeah but we have the lego one

Who does? I don't! :)

Where can I get it?

who knows they will milk this cash cow again in the future.

No they won't, because it's Indiana Jones. If it was Star Wars, it would get release after release after release! Star Wars gets everything and Indy get's **** all (apart from this box set. But it's not much after 20 years!) :)

No they won't, because it's Indiana Jones. If it was Star Wars, it would get release after release after release! Star Wars gets everything and Indy get's **** all (apart from this box set. But it's not much after 20 years!) :)

you have a point, i did not want to be all negative in my first post in this thread, But i agree that Indy gets stuffed on more occasions as opossed to Star Wars, and i am first and foremost an indy fan. So yes it bites!!

That's why I'm surprised we're even getting this set. Sure, the public loves Indy (or did), but not to the degree that it loves (or did love) Star Wars. And for better or for worse, for every fanatical Indy fan willing to buy whatever's out there, there's probably a hundred or more SW fans.

Wow! Listening to some of the clips (on the rare occasions that they'll actually play, that is) and it's wonderful to hear the "new" stuff, albeit briefly. Hearing stuff like On The Tank and The Nightclub Brawl in non-bootleg form is a very good thing. I'm grateful we're getting as much previously-unreleased stuff as we are, even if I have to collect some stuff from various other sources to have "complete"-ish versions of the scores.

For anyone wondering, these are the track times/names for the Expanded KOTCS. :)

Altogether, it's about 27 minutes of unreleased Williams music, not including source music tracks.

Looks good! Looking forward to hearing this. :)

Wow! Listening to some of the clips (on the rare occasions that they'll actually play, that is) and it's wonderful to hear the "new" stuff, albeit briefly. Hearing stuff like On The Tank and The Nightclub Brawl in non-bootleg form is a very good thing. I'm grateful we're getting as much previously-unreleased stuff as we are, even if I have to collect some stuff from various other sources to have "complete"-ish versions of the scores.

Yeah!!

You can't tell anything about sound quality, though. But TLC especially sounds fantastic! (The Boat Scene) :)

you have a point, i did not want to be all negative in my first post in this thread, But i agree that Indy gets stuffed on more occasions as opossed to Star Wars, and i am first and foremost an indy fan. So yes it bites!!

I'm glad someone feels the same! :)

That's why I'm surprised we're even getting this set. Sure, the public loves Indy (or did), but not to the degree that it loves (or did love) Star Wars. And for better or for worse, for every fanatical Indy fan willing to buy whatever's out there, there's probably a hundred or more SW fans.

Unfortunately Star Wars doesn't interest me at all. :lol:

Raiders:

The first 2 clips (Washing Men and Bad Dates) appear to start about 5 and a half seconds into the track.... while the 3rd starts about 8 seconds in

The third clip (Indy Rides The Statue) actually contains MORE music than was in the bootleg version of the cue! You can hear it at the end of the clip. The bootleg version jumped over some of this music, probably do to poor quality on whatever tape they stole

Temple Of Doom:

Indy Negotiates: starts 15 seconds into the cue... matches the film version

Nightclub Brawl: starts 8 seconds into the cue... matches the film version

Map / Out Of Fuel: The first 15 seconds of the clip are different than the film, and must be the original cue. The insert that overrides it ends and rejoins this music at about 15 seconds into this clip

The Lego cue appears to be the entire, complete insert. This could mean that the performance of Indy's Theme, as well as Willie's Theme, will be different on the Concord set than in the film/Lego cue (the Lego cue matches the film exactly, by the way)

The Scroll / To Pankot Palace: starts 41 seconds into the cue, matches the film version

Approaching The Stones: starts 16 seconds into the cue, matches the film version

Short Round Escapes: starts 8 seconds into the cue, matches the film version

Saving Willie: starts 25 seconds into the cue, and appears to contain a couple seconds of music not heard in the film

Short Round Helps: starts about 50 seconds into the cue, and contains some seconds not in the final film

Water!: starts pretty much right at the beginning of the cue and matches the film

The Sword Trick: starts about 2 seconds into the cue and matches the film

The Broken Bridge / British Relief: Starts about 42 seconds in and matches the film... CHOIR INTACT! Woo!

Yeah!!

You can't tell anything about sound quality, though. But TLC especially sounds fantastic! (The Boat Scene) :lol:

Exact sound quality, not entirely, no, but I can certainly tell (even on the crappy computer speakers I'm stuck with at the moment) that On The Tank, for instance, sounds way better than the old boot.

WOW!! It's so great to hear Water! so clearly. In the movie, you can barely hear it because of the sound effects.

I had no idea this sounded so lovely... :lol:

Yeah!!

You can't tell anything about sound quality, though. But TLC especially sounds fantastic! (The Boat Scene) :)

Exact sound quality, not entirely, no, but I can certainly tell (even on the crappy computer speakers I'm stuck with at the moment) that On The Tank, for instance, sounds way better than the old boot.

:)

The Broken Bridge / British Relief: Starts about 42 seconds in and matches the film... CHOIR INTACT! Woo!

When I heard the choir kick in, I was insanely pleased, for some reason. :lol:

When I heard the choir kick in, I was insanely pleased, for some reason. :)

Why did some people think it wouldn't be there? Was it recorded separately? :lol:

When I heard the choir kick in, I was insanely pleased, for some reason. :)

Why did some people think it wouldn't be there? Was it recorded separately? :lol:

Probably for the same reason we thought "Desert Chase" would be complete or "Map/Out of Gas" would match the film.

Neil

Probably for the same reason we thought "Desert Chase" would be complete or "Map/Out of Gas" would match the film.

Neil

Aha!

You mean "Map/Out of Fuel," right? Or is the alternate version called "Map/Out of Gas"? :lol:

Not even the music?

The music's nice, but it's not one I could listen to over and over again.

Pirates Of The Caribbean on the other hand..................... :)

*.....Okay, I'll get my coat.....* :lol:

WTF!? You'd rather listen to POTC over and over again as apposed to Star Wars? What the hell is wrong with you man?

You deserve this: :lol:

Temple Of Doom:

Map / Out Of Fuel: The first 15 seconds of the clip are different than the film, and must be the original cue. The insert that overrides it ends and rejoins this music at about 15 seconds into this clip

The Lego cue appears to be the entire, complete insert. This could mean that the performance of Indy's Theme, as well as Willie's Theme, will be different on the Concord set than in the film/Lego cue (the Lego cue matches the film exactly, by the way)

The Scroll / To Pankot Palace: starts 41 seconds into the cue, matches the film version

Approaching The Stones: starts 16 seconds into the cue, matches the film version

Saving Willie: starts 25 seconds into the cue, and appears to contain a couple seconds of music not heard in the film

Short Round Helps: starts about 50 seconds into the cue, and contains some seconds not in the final film

Water!: starts pretty much right at the beginning of the cue and matches the film

Hurrah! Film versions! :) Now why couldn't they do that with "End Credits" and "Over The Himilayas"? :lol:

Not even the music?

*.....Okay, I'll get my coat.....* :)

it better be bullet proof...

:lol:

WTF!? You'd rather listen to POTC over and over again as apposed to Star Wars? What the hell is wrong with you man?

Everyone has their own tastes! :)

Raiders:

Temple Of Doom:

Last Crusade:

Boat Scene: starts about 25 seconds in and matches the bootleg cue

To Austra: starts about a second in and matches the bootleg cue

F&S Reunited: starts about 10 seconds in and matches the bootleg cue

Austrian Way: starts about 3 seconds in and appears to match the bootleg cue

Alarm!: Oh my. This barely matches the film at all. About 23 seconds in it matches the film, but if you rewind 23 seconds in the film from that point, you're at the end of the scene with Donovan when he says "Germany has declared war on the Jones boys".... but the beginning of this clip clearly doesn't match that...... either scenes were shuffled around in the final film, or maybe that grand statement of the Nazi Theme was recorded as an insert and added in later? I HOPE NOT! (by the way, the cue is 3:05 in the film and 3:06 on the Concord...)

On The Tank: starts about 7 seconds in, matches the bootleg cue

Hurrah! Film versions! :) Now why couldn't they do that with "End Credits" and "Over The Himilayas"? :lol:

Rather ironical, isnt it?

They went with the williams 1st intended version yet, the end credits as williams intended...are hacked.

BTW, apologists for the alternate Map/Out of fuel... the non inclusion of the film version (or edit, i dont care...) is almost like if they had put the boring unkown Binary sunset alternate instead of the great film version in the anthology...

Alarm!: Oh my. This barely matches the film at all. About 23 seconds in it matches the film, but if you rewind 23 seconds in the film from that point, you're at the end of the scene with Donovan when he says "Germany has declared war on the Jones boys".... but the beginning of this clip clearly doesn't match that...... either scenes were shuffled around in the final film, or maybe that grand statement of the Nazi Theme was recorded as an insert and added in later? I HOPE NOT! (by the way, the cue is 3:05 in the film and 3:06 on the Concord...)

:o Schnell! Schnell!

maybe that grand statement of the Nazi Theme was recorded as an insert and added in later?

I was watching TLC last night, and a a lot of the short Nazi theme statements seemed to be inserts to me. :)

And INCREDIBLY frustrating! :lol:

BTW, apologists for the alternate Map/Out of fuel... the non inclusion of the film version (or edit, i dont care...) is almost like if they had put the boring unkown Binary sunset alternate instead of the great film version in the anthology...

The alternate "Binary Sunset" is boring? :lol:

I was watching TLC last night, and a a lot of the short Nazi theme statements seemed to be inserts to me. :lol:

The ones in "Death Of Kazim" and "On The Tank" definitely are

This means something is cut somewhere because times are equal . There is one single moment I want most in this score , the Raiders march statement when Indy swings into the mine car (the one DELETED from the demonoid boot because it has unremovable gun shots) . I BET it will be cut

This means something is cut somewhere because times are equal . There is one single moment I want most in this score , the Raiders march statement when Indy swings into the mine car (the one DELETED from the demonoid boot because it has unremovable gun shots) . I BET it will be cut

No, when I say "seconds" I mean like 1 or 2. Tiny tiny edits it seemed

They went with the williams 1st intended version yet, the end credits as williams intended...are hacked.

It's been mentioned many times but it appears the majority of the cues from the original albums remained the same.

Some of you haven't even heard the cues in question in full length yet are ready to dismiss them.

yeah,but not if the Star wars album included that one only

It's been mentioned many times but it appears the majority of the cues from the original albums remained the same.

Some of you haven't even heard the cues in question in full length yet are ready to dismiss them.

The Map from ToD is an iconic moment in the score .now it turns out we have it somewhere else but if not it would be inexcusable .We were saved by pure luck

the alternate of E.T. is Dying on the E.T. expanded is another example

Glad I'm not the only one who just doesn't get Star Wars. It's good, but I just don't find myself ever listening to it.

Not that I advocate PotC in its place of course... maybe LotR.

The thing with alternates like The Map is that on one hand, Laurent is trying to recreate Williams' original intentions, but surely he must appreciate that we all get attached to what we hear in the film? And that deciding to use a wildly different take, just because it was the first one ever written, just doesn't work for a listening experience?

Tracked bits are clearly different and debatable. If it was just a straight edit between a few takes, I'd rather have that, but with something else, such as the Marian insert at the start of the Jungle Chase, I wouldn't want something that was lazily cut on top of the existing recording unless it mixed really well, or was an important musical moment.

There is one single moment I want most in this score, the Raiders march statement when Indy swings into the mine car (the one DELETED from the demonoid boot because it has unremovable gun shots) . I BET it will be cut

Meee toooo! :)

I was watching TLC last night, and a a lot of the short Nazi theme statements seemed to be inserts to me. :lol:

The ones in "Death Of Kazim" and "On The Tank" definitely are

I didn't get that far! :)

I'm not worried. I probably would be if we didn't have the Lego cue, but we do, so I'm not. In fact, it's even cooler.

And it's nothing like "Binary Sunset". As much as I love the film version of "Map/Out Of Fuel", at the end of the day it's just another statement of the Raiders March followed by the love theme, 100% a sought-after cue in soundtrack nerd terms, but in relation to the iconography of the cue and the thematics, there's no comparison. "Binary Sunset" is the one track that thematically defines A NEW HOPE. "Map/Out Of Fuel" is just a great cue that happens to score a plane superimposed on a map.