Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and by the way, the invoice in the package that I got from amazon says that I was only charged $41.99, for those who were curious about the price adjustments.

Grrrrr!

Nov 8 part 3

Was that sarcasm?

Sounds like everything we heard from the DVD.

--------------

Damn, I even debated using one extra exclamation point.

Neil

--------------

Just ordered my set from HMV for £22.99! : D

--------------

Join the club : )

--------------

QUOTE (richuk @ Nov 8 2008, 05:07 PM) Join the club : )

And point taken Neil. I just can't tell when you're being serious any more.

-----------------------------

Wonder when they'll get it to us by?

I'm also finding it hard on here to see when someone's being sarcastic too lol LOL

--------------

QUOTE (Maxxie @ Nov 8 2008, 05:11 PM) QUOTE (richuk @ Nov 8 2008, 05:07 PM) Join the club : )

And point taken Neil. I just can't tell when you're being serious any more.

Wonder how fast we'll get it? I think £23 is an absolute steal for something that's sure to be a collectors item in years to come! : )

I'm also finding it hard on here to see when someone's being sarcastic too lol LOL

--------------

HMV's site says it takes 2-5 days from dispatch. Depends on whether they send it on release day or a few days before.

--------------

Getting closer now...

--------------

Indeed

--------------

Stay on target. Stay on target.

--------------

QUOTE (richuk @ Nov 8 2008, 05:23 PM) HMV's site says it takes 2-5 days from dispatch. Depends on whether they send it on release day or a few days before.

At the latest we should get it around the 21st then. Oh God these weeks are going to drag by! : o

--------------

Price: £17.99 at amazon.co.uk today ...

Yesteday: Price: £17.76 :P .... :lol:

--------------

Man, I'm loving these clips.

Call me crazy, but I don't remember that bit of percussion in "To the Blimp" being on the boot.

It is a little sad that they cut off the beginning of "To Berlin." Not sure what I'll do about that. Anyone know how clean the first few seconds of that are on a DVD rip?

--------------

I am loving the Amazon clips and such, but I am one of those who are really, really dissapointed that the apparent "film version" of Nightclub Brawl from Temple of Doom isn't on the set with it's frantic rendition of Anything Goes. Sure the DVD rip is SFX free, but I was really hoping to finally get that part of the cue in grand CD quality. I wonder if it will even be worth it to try and do an edit with the drop in sound quality being so obvious. Anyone want to help me out with that when the time comes?

--------------

QUOTE (netpadawan @ Nov 8 2008, 05:39 PM) Price: £17.99 at amazon.co.uk today ...

Yesteday: Price: £17.76 :P .... ;)

WHAT?

--------------

3 days!!!

--------------

QUOTE (Stefan Cosman @ Nov 8 2008, 12:24 PM) Getting closer now...

not really .at least for me. Not shipped before the 18th

--------------

I listened through all the samples at Amazon ("Preview all") and wow. I've tended to focus on the negative and keeping track of what's missing etc., but we really are getting a wealth of new material.

Despite it's flaws, this really is a great set.

Also, listening to the samples, it was a neat experience hearing essentially an overview of every score in the Indy series back to back. Each one really does fit in it's own way -- bringing it's own unique flavor to the table while complimenting the others.

An amazing cornucopia of great music. I'm excited. : D

--------------

A review is up

http://scorenotes.com/indy/index.html (http://scorenotes.com/indy/index.html)

--------------

I have the sheet music from TOD. The Night Club Brawl and the Anything Goes insert are two seperate sheets. The Night Club Brawl has a note in the sheet where the insert (Anything Goes) starts. I had the feeling that the orchestra part of Night Club Brawl is intended as accompaniment to the Anything Goes insert. But I'm not sure anymore. Though I'm happy to get the track, it would also have be nice to have it on disc 5 as film version. Intrada does this often.

--------------

QUOTE (Merkel @ Nov 8 2008, 02:20 PM) A review is up

You won't hear a cue that is out of chronological order from what was seen/heard in the film.

Riiiiight. :nod:

--------------

QUOTE (Merkel @ Nov 8 2008, 10:20 PM) A review is up

And here we have the voice of the so called general audience (even if this guy is a film music fan) which is also the target audience of this set. As we can see there is no acerbic and bitter commentary coming from them. They do not worry about the missing music. They just love the stuff that will be on the set.

--------------

QUOTE (Merkel @ Nov 8 2008, 05:23 PM) Hearing a track as it was written, without the constratins of last-minute editing of the movie, is a gift.

It is a gift i want in 2CD releases.

In OSTs, i prefer to hear the kick ass versions i heard in the movie and that compelled me to buy the CD.

Though, in wouldnt want awful edits, i prefer the cue complete. But alternates, this should be definitive set material

--------------

Again, these are not alternates

--------------

QUOTE (Merkel @ Nov 8 2008, 09:00 PM) Again, these are not alternates

Indy rides the statue isnt?

And yes really the true alternates are the film versions as they are alternates to the original compositions.

BTW, inserts are composed to replace cleanly previous material, so the edit is not noticed, its not a crime to include them.

As i said, a release to understand the composing techniques and so is for complete scores when you can hear EVERYTHING, and not this expanded scores that left out too many cues and original versions/alternates.

--------------

So has anyone gotten an email saying that their set has been shipped?! : D

--------------

QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 09:34 PM) So has anyone gotten an email saying that their set has been shipped?! : D

If it should arrive Tuesday...

nope. I think i'll receive that message in 17th nov...

--------------

QUOTE (Luke Skywalker @ Nov 8 2008, 11:38 PM) QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 09:34 PM) So has anyone gotten an email saying that their set has been shipped?! : D

Hmmmm... : (

I hope I'll have it in a week from now. : P

--------------

QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 09:39 PM) QUOTE (Luke Skywalker @ Nov 8 2008, 11:38 PM) QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 09:34 PM) So has anyone gotten an email saying that their set has been shipped?! : D

you ordered with amazon.de?

I think they will ship 17 or 2-3 days before that, with much luck...

Its an import, they have to buy it in US, travel to Europe and then be sent to you...

--------------

QUOTE (Luke Skywalker @ Nov 8 2008, 10:43 PM) QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 09:39 PM) QUOTE (Luke Skywalker @ Nov 8 2008, 11:38 PM) QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 09:34 PM) So has anyone gotten an email saying that their set has been shipped?! : D

you ordered with amazon.de?

I think they will ship 17 or 2-3 days before that, with much luck...

Its an import, they have to buy it in US, travel to Europe and then be sent to you...

The US amazon and warehouses must have it by now, or at least on Monday morning. Say they ship the first load to Europe right away. And when it arrives, amazon.de ships it to me straight away. It might work...

LOL

--------------

I made 4 itune "albums"

Raiders Expanded

ToD Expanded

LC Expanded

Indiana Jones Still Unreleased (with remaining LC boot cues,DVD and Lego rips of ToD cues...)

--------------

Where is Kingdom? Don't say you don't have it on itunes! It's not that bad! : P

--------------

QUOTE (Maxxie @ Nov 7 2008, 07:58 PM) QUOTE (Marc402 @ Nov 7 2008, 06:41 PM) you have a point, i did not want to be all negative in my first post in this thread, But i agree that Indy gets stuffed on more occasions as opossed to Star Wars, and i am first and foremost an indy fan. So yes it bites!!

I'm glad someone feels the same! : )

QUOTE (Charlie Brigden @ Nov 7 2008, 06:45 PM) That's why I'm surprised we're even getting this set. Sure, the public loves Indy (or did), but not to the degree that it loves (or did love) Star Wars. And for better or for worse, for every fanatical Indy fan willing to buy whatever's out there, there's probably a hundred or more SW fans.

Unfortunately Star Wars doesn't interest me at all. :jump:

agreed i have always felt Indy was iligitimate twin of Star Wars and gets less atention acordingly. It was even a while before i first saw star wars, people said how can you call yourself a film fan without having seen it?. when i finally did in the mid 90's I wasn't impressed , i mean i did not hate the films (the original trilogy) but it never grabbed me like Indy did, so someone said to me you should see it in cinema, so i went to see the special editions and still the magic didn't reach me, i do however have the scores and films but don't look at them as much as Indy, The prequels wel i could sit trough ROTS but i hated Jar Jar Binks in Phantom Menace and i didn't like the sappy love scenes in AOTC , nothing against the music however but since the films don't grab me that much i tend to lissen to the indy scores more.

And for effort on my part i even tried to watch the Star Wars Holiday special earlier today , so it isn't by lack off trying , and yes i know it is unfair to compare the holiday special with the original trilogy LOL

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 7 2008, 09:01 PM) QUOTE Short Round Helps: starts about 50 seconds into the cue, and contains some seconds not in the final film

This means something is cut somewhere because times are equal . There is one single moment I want most in this score , the Raiders march statement when Indy swings into the mine car (the one DELETED from the demonoid boot because it has unremovable gun shots) . I BET it will be cut

I love this statement of the Raiders March hope it WILL be there , this boxset is just as mysterious in some aspects as some of Indy's relics bowdown

QUOTE (jwb @ Nov 7 2008, 09:19 PM) New samples over at MMUK. See post near bottom:

http://mmuk64.proboards42.com/index.cgi?bo...336&page=18 (http://mmuk64.proboards42.com/index.cgi?bo...336&page=18)

Best,

thanx for the link the barnes and nobles didn't work for me either , with most tracks that is , can't someone just move ahead the clock a few days , i'm getting impatient LOL

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 8 2008, 01:45 PM) At the very least a single zipped folder containing the unreleased music from all 3 films would be nice .We could fill the gaps with our old albums until we get the actual box.

nice idea or a zip with the cues that will not be on there like the ones mentioned , since i'm this new . atleast her i haven't had the nerve to ask anyone for them :D

QUOTE (oierem @ Nov 8 2008, 03:38 PM) Source music or not, it was specifically recorded to match the rest of the cue

i love this cue so i'm bumbed out about that , indeed my favorite part of the cue, it is a higlight when indy and willy are looking for the diamond and the antidote, and it ends perfectly in the film when the bucket of ice falls over.

QUOTE (Maxxie @ Nov 8 2008, 05:18 PM) Yes, but the unused music is at the expense of the film music i.e. the stuff we actually want!

Alternates should be on a seperate disc.

once again agree with you to the letter, when i listen to a score it takes me back to that moment in the film , like when i hear desert chase i can see the movie in my head , and yes new and unheard music is nice- if there is room to spare.

Problem is and i think that is something the producers of this set deal with to is that everyone doesn't agree as to what is the BEST listening experience, although the logic is far andd beyond her, edits inbetween alternates and so on.

--------------

Charlie Brigden has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource".

If we're throwing up custom art, I'll put my "diary" KOTCS one up for show : D

(IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/299237...82fb672d_b.jpg)

(IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/299236...52f2b703_o.jpg)

--------------

QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 03:51 PM) QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 8 2008, 11:48 PM) I will make 4 itunes "albums"

Raiders Expanded

ToD Expanded

LC Expanded

Indiana Jones Still Unreleased (with remaining LC boot cues,DVD and Lego rips of ToD cues...)

Where is Kingdom? Don't say you don't have it on itunes! It's not that bad! : P

Yes KotCS (Expanded)

--------------

QUOTE (Marc402 @ Nov 8 2008, 03:54 PM) QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 7 2008, 09:01 PM) QUOTE Short Round Helps: starts about 50 seconds into the cue, and contains some seconds not in the final film

This means something is cut somewhere because times are equal . There is one single moment I want most in this score , the Raiders march statement when Indy swings into the mine car (the one DELETED from the demonoid boot because it has unremovable gun shots) . I BET it will be cut

I love this statement of the Raiders March hope it WILL be there , this boxset is just as mysterious in some aspects as some of Indy's relics :eek2:

oh it's there.someone posted a clip a few pages back

--------------

It's there and it's glorious.

--------------

QUOTE (Incanus @ Nov 8 2008, 08:52 PM) QUOTE (Merkel @ Nov 8 2008, 10:20 PM) A review is up

And here we have the voice of the so called general audience (even if this guy is a film music fan) which is also the target audience of this set. As we can see there is no acerbic and bitter commentary coming from them. They do not worry about the missing music. They just love the stuff that will be on the set.

Well one saying this is liying to oneself:

QUOTE You won't hear a cue that is out of chronological order from what was seen/heard in the film. This aspect may be overlooked by some, but I feel that having this type of consistency lends itself well to the listening experience since it might have been distracting to feature music that is out of sequence.

He could also have said "you wont hear a cue that is not a film version"

Or "you will not miss any important cue"

Or " you will not hear any edited cues"

That way the review is 100% positive..but is it true to reality?

--------------

am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about the Anything Goes statements in Night club Brawl ? It's just a big band arrangement of a song Williams didn't compose.

--------------

QUOTE (Jessie Lohner @ Nov 8 2008, 02:34 PM) So has anyone gotten an email saying that their set has been shipped?! : D

Yes, I got one yesterday (Friday) from Amazon, where I went with free shipping. Right now, it says it was picked up this morning in Coffeyville, Kansas, which is only a few hours' drive from where I live. So I'm optimistic that it will make it by Tuesday.

--------------

Vosk and Mark Olivarez get out of King Mark's Body!

The Christ obliges you!

LOL

--------------

The song was a nice arrangement too. ; )

--------------

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 8 2008, 10:14 PM) am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about the Anything Goes statements in Night club Brawl ? It's just a big band arrangement of a song Williams didn't compose.

i see your point but to me i never heard the score without , so to me it is integral to the score and i always saw the shanghai 1935 bit as the ending to the song in the movie, so it never felt like source music to me to begin with, i know it this way since i was 12 0r 13 years old and first saw the film so i'll miss it , having said that i just listened to the samples posted a few pages back over my stereo and the great sound quality almost brought me to tears especialy the tank, to bad that the full Desert Chase won't get the same remastering job

--------------

The DCC album sounded very good

--------------

QUOTE (king mark @ Nov 8 2008, 10:46 PM) The DCC album sounded very good

agreed and i have been very content with it for the last 13 years but when i played it on my discman the other week i thought the volume was a bit on the low end so i'm afraid how that will fit in if i mix it in with the concord release and even though the DCC is good the concord sounds even more clearer. to my ears that is anyway.

--------------

QUOTE (Koray Savas @ Nov 8 2008, 12:41 PM) 3 days!!!

I don't know if some people will make it that long...

--------------

I was listening to the ToD rear channel DVD rips and I realized once again how much a complex affair the temple ceremony/sacrifice sequences are. Musically, they've been conceived as a blend of traditional underscore and source music. From what is known, Williams composed and recorded the ceremony chant before the shooting (he labeled it "Sanskrit Ceremony", if I remember right) and then it was used on the soundstage during the filming. The piece was then used by editors and sound mixers, whom edited and tailored it accordingly to the sequences, repeating, looping and overlaying several sections. Then Williams wrote and recorded some orchestral/choral inserts, knowing that they had to blend with the chant. However, you can hear some jarring edits and transitions when listening just to the rear channels. It's very likely those sequences were edited and trimmed a lot during the process, probably retooled and re-triggered after the scoring as well (it's known that the infamous "teared heart" sequence caused several censorship problems to Spielberg).

So, in the end, it's probably almost impossible to reproduce a listenable and musically coherent edit of those sequences. It would be great just to have the complete "Sanskrit Ceremony" piece as originally recorded by Williams (it seems the album track is edited down from a longer version).

--------------

QUOTE (Maurizio Caschetto @ Nov 8 2008, 10:32 PM) I was listening to the ToD rear channel DVD rips and I realized once again how much a complex affair the temple ceremony/sacrifice sequences are. Musically, they've been conceived as a blend of traditional underscore and source music. From what is known, Williams composed and recorded the ceremony chant before the shooting (he labeled it "Sanskrit Ceremony", if I remember right) and then it was used on the soundstage during the filming. The piece was then used by editors and sound mixers, whom edited and tailored it accordingly to the sequences, repeating, looping and overlaying several sections. Then Williams wrote and recorded some orchestral/choral inserts, knowing that they had to blend with the chant. However, you can hear some jarring edits and transitions when listening just to the rear channels. It's very likely those sequences were edited and trimmed a lot during the process, probably retooled and re-triggered after the scoring as well (it's known that the infamous "teared heart" sequence caused several censorship problems to Spielberg).

So, in the end, it's probably almost impossible to reproduce a listenable and musically coherent edit of those sequences. It would be great just to have the complete "Sanskrit Ceremony" piece as originally recorded by Williams (it seems the album track is edited down from a longer version).

Yeah I know what you mean because I've been doing the same.

It's pretty terrifying music in places I think. : o

--------------

I probably will have my copy on Monday. I ordered mine through MovieMusic and all priority orders went out on Thursday. The post office is closed on Tuesday cause of Veteran's day so if it's not here on Monday then it'll be here on Wednesday.

--------------

:lol: You're right. Nov. 11 is Veteran's Day. The mail won't be delivered then. Darn it.

I guess I'll just listen to Saving Private Ryan while I wait for Indy, unless it miraculously comes Monday.

you saved MB pages??

Of course not! The "fast reply" box always has the silly "Enable email notification of replies" box checked off, so with every reply an email was going into one of my random email accounts.... i just copy and pasted and used excel to clean out some junk, no big woop.

Better than doing actual work at work :lol:

But that's why none of my replies are included.

Remember when I said how awesome it would be if I came from class to find Indy on my doorstep? Well, literally a minute ago I was enterting my neighborhood and saw a UPS truck leaving. I hit the gas a little and found that beautiful brown box sitting at the door. I am about to open the grail right this very moment!

Well,at least they don't keep it and take it back to the post office

Here if you miss the truck ,you have to wait an extra day and retrieve it yourself.

Hey Koray why does that sticker look...backwards?

Damn those of you who have the set all ready. ;)

bowdown

Actually I wanted to ask that as well... luckily I've realized that his webcam was set to "mirror" mode, which is less distracting when cam-chatting :lol:

Hey Koray why does that sticker look...backwards?

Damn those of you who have the set all ready. ;)

bowdown

Actually I wanted to ask that as well... luckily I've realized that his webcam was set to "mirror" mode, which is less distracting when cam-chatting :lol:

Ah...it's actually more distracting...but anyways.

How is that less distracting?

Because usually you see yourself in a small window as well, and when you move left, and your image on screen moves right, that's just distracting. It is!

Or maybe I'm just easily distracted.

I just checked my SAE account and my order is still pending. Joy of joys. Next week sometime.

Truthfully was looking forward more to the other two discs I bundled with this one than Indy.

Still no info from SAE about my order ;) Have they forgotten it? I am dying to get this set and my order is still pending. Oh the horror, the horror.

which page is the percussion music discussed? ugh................ ;)

I'm surprised more people aren't throwing a fit over this.

The Star Wars Anthology boxed set certainly wasn't this disappointing when it was first released.

I think those of you that are bitching about certain things being left off are being a bit ungrateful. I mean how long have most of you had to wait for expanded versions of these scores? Then when they are finally released most of you do nothing but bitch and complain about it because certain things are not there.

Got it today, and it looks great.

Waiting until tonight to start. I'll probably do one CD per night, so that it is without interuption. Should be fun. Hopefully I can wait until then...

which page is the percussion music discussed? ugh................ :angry:

The Star Wars Anthology boxed set certainly wasn't this disappointing when it was first released.

Hey digitalfreakNYC, are you the same guy that does OT boots for originaltrilogy.com? If so, nice work!

Also: Check out this page for all the information about what is and isn't on the box set.

As for getting a hold of the rope bridge music, check your PMs in a little bit ;)

Just listening now.. The mix and mastering is pretty dire. Just listen to The Nightclub Brawl, for example. Listen to the brass (trombones in particular). It sounds as if they've added some tacky reverb that ends up sounding more like a quick delay effect. Each staccato trombone hit sounds like it has an after delay that ends up sounding muddy and messy. Plus, the high ends are over-gained in some places so much that you can actually hear the noise as the sections are brought in and out.

The whole mix just sounds messy and over separated. Guess it could be worse, but the delay on the trombones especially is completely unforgivable - don't know how that could go into the final mix un-noticed.

which page is the percussion music discussed? ugh................ :angry:

Hey digitalfreakNYC, are you the same guy that does OT boots for originaltrilogy.com? If so, nice work!

Also: Check out this page for all the information about what is and isn't on the box set.

As for getting a hold of the rope bridge music, check your PMs in a little bit ;)

That would be I. :angry:

I thought that link was an official website so I had dismissed it. Great work!

Looking forward to the PM.

I think those of you that are bitching about certain things being left off are being a bit ungrateful. I mean how long have most of you had to wait for expanded versions of these scores? Then when they are finally released most of you do nothing but bitch and complain about it because certain things are not there.

Well if the cue you wanted the most after these 20 years, its rather dissapointing, and well you can complain too.

which page is the percussion music discussed? ugh................ ;)

I dunno ,to me that's the least important of the remaining unreleased cues .

Everyone has different opinions, mark

I love the track, and would be more pissed if not for the fact that it can be ripped fairly cleanly from the DVD

"The Rope Bridge" isn't the most exciting cue, but it still should've been on either Disc 2 or 5. It is one of the final parts of the film after all. ;)

The whole mix just sounds messy and over separated. Guess it could be worse, but the delay on the trombones especially is completely unforgivable - don't know how that could go into the final mix un-noticed.

Delay on trombones , Raiders cues 2 seconds too fast...wtf? Only specialists on specific area of sound will notice and I'm usually quick to complain.

I hope all those great custom expanded versions some of you are doing combining OST, Concord set, LEGO cues, leaked alternates and DVDrips will be available "somewhere" for all the fans like me that, having the offical sets and some mp3, dont have time nor patience to do that incredible work... I hope!

The amount of people that would notice an error is irrelevant. more quality control should have gone into this set so there were no mistakes.

I ordered this from Amazon, Barnes & Noble can suck it. They don't have it. I only have one track from Amazon since last night at midnight, "Short Round Helps". Apparently the music in the film is looped when Indy and Short are backhanding the Thuggees.

I hope all those great custom expanded versions some of you are doing combining OST, Concord set, LEGO cues, leaked alternates and DVDrips will be available "somewhere" for all the fans like me that, having the offical sets and some mp3, dont have time nor patience to do that incredible work... I hope!

You know all that takes about 5 minutes in itunes .I still don't think rear channel DVD rips should be used ,except maybe a few if you don't mind change in sound quality

"The Rope Bridge" isn't the most exciting cue, but it still should've been on either Disc 2 or 5. It is one of the final parts of the film after all. ;)

As well as Prof. Jones is Shot / The Penitent Man Will Pass. Absurd that it is not included.

Again, perhaps my hopes were far too high for this set. I was expecting something along the lines of that Star Wars Anthology boxed set. Something with a large booklet that goes into depth each cue as it's presented in the set.

It doesn't seem like this set was put together with any thought. It's just thrown together.

The amount of people that would notice an error is irrelevant. more quality control should have gone into this set so there were no mistakes.

Yes. The faults of this set are far too numerous. ;)

The Raiders of the Lost Ark pitch / speed foul-up is inexcusable. Any chance of a replacement disc if we complain to Concord?

(This reminds me of the incorrectly-framed Back To The Future DVDs a few years ago. Replacement discs were issued once you returned the faulty ones.)