Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

Oh, man..."Desert Chase" album edit = :)

I haven't even bothered listening to it.

You should. The clarity is stunning. But with the pitch problems and the numerous edits it's just about useless.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, man..."Desert Chase" album edit = :)

I haven't even bothered listening to it.

Me neither. I just replaced the "new" tracks with the DCC version. I'll never listen to the new version. The pitch errors are stupid and continue to prove my point. THe people involved in this didn't care enough about it.

Regardless, I have VERY fond memories of getting the SW Anthology boxed set when I was much, much younger. I remember reading the liner notes when I got to the final duel between Luke and Darth and it said "here's the music SW fans have been waiting for."

Wait, are you talking about the track called "The Clash of Lightsabers"? You mean that wasn't around before the Anthology? Wow. I feel sorry for movie score fans of that time. It must have been hard.

Regardless, I have VERY fond memories of getting the SW Anthology boxed set when I was much, much younger. I remember reading the liner notes when I got to the final duel between Luke and Darth and it said "here's the music SW fans have been waiting for."

Wait, are you talking about the track called "The Clash of Lightsabers"? You mean that wasn't around before the Anthology? Wow. I feel sorry for movie score fans of that time. It must have been hard.

The one from Jedi with the chorale arrangement right before Luke cuts Vaders hand off...and right after he screams "NEVER!"

Yeah, that one.

That's my Rope Bridge. :(

Wow... just wow.

:(

Roll your eyes all you want.

You don't have to agree with it. I don't ask you to. I've bought Raiders and Temple on 3 different formats before this release...and LC on 2. I'm done until it's finally done right, with the thought and effort it deserves.

I am listening to the Cinematic show radio program and I completely agree with everything he's saying. Although I can't believe he didn't mention the Rope Bridge cue, I truly believe we got the royal screwjob with this release. Putting an interview segment on here that ALL of us have heard before from having bought the DVD's is pointless. The missing music should be there. The booklets are atrocious. There was very very little care taken with this set. From the missing music to the booklets to the pitch problems, etc, etc. It seems like the people involved with this weren't in love with nor as passionate about this music as they should have been.

This is Indiana freakin' Jones. It deserved MUCH better.

so your selling your set because it doesn't have the rope bridge cue .Take note that your the only one fussing over that cue . In the end it's just tribal drums . Any composer could have done this

Both much less important than A Child Returns/Fortune and Glory

there's some similar unused drums in Trek to Pankot Palace ...you can loop that for 2 minutes and pretend it's the rope bridge music

Yea that one shoulda been there instead of The Secret Passage too

there's some similar unused drums in Trek to Pankot Palace ...you can loop that for 2 minutes and pretend it's the rope bridge music

Maybe YOU can...but I cannot. And I'm not getting rid of the whole set because of one cue. Clearly you haven't read any of my other posts.

How can you hear pitch errors? Nothing sounds different to me, and the edited Desert Chase is perfectly fine.

I can't, and I've heard the score like a billion times ,were talking about a few seconds difference in total track times here ,not Pal/NTSC kind of differences

How can you hear pitch errors? Nothing sounds different to me, and the edited Desert Chase is perfectly fine.

I can't, and I've heard the score like a billion times

Some people are pitch/tone deaf. Doesn't mean it's not there or not a serious problem.

All the drums in the album cut where used in the film, and don't sound anything like "On The Rope Bridge"

Is there any reason to remind everyone over and over again that you don't like the cue?

Is there any reason to mention that the set is worth getting rid of because that cue is not there?

After a 25 year wait,we get 90% of the music and 99% of the important music...isn't that like a reason to celebrate?. A few months ago I was CONVINCED we'd never hear any of this in our lifetime.

Is there any reason to mention that the set is worth getting rid of because that cue is not there?

After a 25 year wait,we get 90% of the music and 99% of the important music...isn't that like a reason to celebrate?

There's 21 minutes of music missing out of a 100 minute score. Math wasn't your major, i'm guessing.

And it's 99% of the important music ACCORDING TO YOU.

And again, for the LAST TIME, that's not the only reason I'm getting rid of it.

Mark, besides categorically rejecting any music that isn't strictly orchestral you just aren't thinking structurally. The rope bridge music is crucial to the listening experience because of how much action music precedes and follows it. It's a needed break, and it builds tension wonderfully. Dismissing the rope bridge music is like taking out the monophonic synthesizer line at the beginning of "The Dark Side Beckons." Or taking out the dissonant, sustained note that gradually resolves to a single note and explodes into the Second Coming theme in the last track of The Final Conflict. Boring, let's just cut to the cool stuff, right? These seemingly inconsequential moments in the score are really rife with tension. It's the action music that releases that tension. But without the build it just isn't as powerful.

Disc 2 on the Concord box is a pretty horrid listening experience in this respect. I'm glad that "Indy and the Villagers" and "The Secret Passage" can be added to the sequence to round it out at least a little.

I can't, and I've heard the score like a billion times ,were talking about a few seconds difference in total track times here ,not Pal/NTSC kind of differences

Compare "Map Room" to the DCC. That's the most affected cue, and the difference should be obvious.

I'll try again then. But you sure didn't notice until Neil combined the left channel of one track with the right channel of the other

No, I noticed it first on Temple of Doom because I was playing around with the finale cues and noticed something was out of tune. "Return to the Village" sounded decidedly sour, as if the pitch was shifting throughout the track. If you want to mix these all together properly (DVD rips and all) you need to do some adjustments. But it's beyond my expertise to make said adjustments.

Mark, besides categorically rejecting any music that isn't strictly orchestral you just aren't thinking structurally. The rope bridge music is crucial to the listening experience because of how much action music precedes and follows it. It's a needed break, and it builds tension wonderfully. Dismissing the rope bridge music is like taking out the monophonic synthesizer line at the beginning of "The Dark Side Beckons." Or taking out the dissonant, sustained note that gradually resolves to a single note and explodes into the Second Coming theme in the last track of The Final Conflict. Boring, let's just cut to the cool stuff, right? These seemingly inconsequential moments in the score are really rife with tension. It's the action music that releases that tension. s

Thar's veeeery subjective . I mean what if that scene wasn't scored at all or had the usual Williams underscore

I'll give you lacking,...the ToD OST we've been stuck listening to since 1984

Yeah...we've been lacking for 24 years. Now we're STILL lacking because of the incompetant people involved with this set.

Anyone who is unhappy with this set is completely within their right as a JW music fan and an Indiana Jones fan to be pissed off.

I'll give you lacking,...the ToD OST we've been stuck listening to since 1984

Still, it's a shame the finale is hacked up a bit. That's probably my biggest gripe.

But I do love this release. Oh yes. :(

Digitalfreak...do you realize how much freakin' material we have now that a few months ago we thought we wouldn't be getting here? I fully understand that you're disappointed there. I thought for sure "Fortune and Glory" would be on here under "Indy and the Villagers," and I wanted that really badly. It frustrated me a bit. But you know what? I don't have to deal with the fact that the only way I could hear "Over the Himalayas" was on a crappy SFX-filled rip anymore. Not only do I have the originally intended version, thanks to a game file, I can hear the film version I know and love, too! I can hear "Approaching the Stones" in gloriously restored CD quality! There is so much good about this, that I think the out and out angry raving is just flat-out uncalled for. Yes, we have every right to be disappointed and want (and expect) better from a professional product. But we do have some great stuff. And I am growing more and more confident that we'll be seeing proper 2-disc releases before too long. Maybe a few years, but nowhere near the eternal wait we had been dreading and hoping against. Just...freakin' chill out.

And the rear DVD rip of the bridge percussion is a heck of a lot better than that of "Over the Himalayas." It's really listenable once you get your nose out of the air.

Someone who claims the ToD disc on the set is a horrid listening experience has clearly lost it.

Just lost it.

Completely.

Of course I don't think it's horrid. It's just nearly nonstop action, and that can get really grating.

It may be incomplete, but that doesn't mean it's lacking.

Okay, beside that damn percussion piece (that nobody would care about if it weren't written by JW, and featured in an Indy film), what exactly is lacking that makes this release such an upsetting listening?

Someone who claims the ToD disc on the set is a horrid listening experience has clearly lost it.

Just lost it.

Completely.

Of course I don't think it's horrid. It's just nearly nonstop action, and that can get really grating.

:( I can't believe some of the things i've been reading in the last 2 pages of this thread

and it's just not ANY action.It's some of the best action music JW has ever written or of any film score.

I think this may clear things up for Fatty: Think about the ROTS album. We think of it as a sub-par album presentation, not because the music present is bad, but more because it focuses on one aspect of the score: the darker music. When you added goodies leaked in the video game such as "Another Happy Landing" and "Arrival at Utapau," it gave more balance. Substitute "action music" for "darker music," and I think that's pretty much what Henry's trying to say.

Yeah,but lets stop to think ,God forbid, that Short Round Helps had been dropped to add those rope bridge percussions .Now we'd have a real board panic on our hands.

It may be incomplete, but that doesn't mean it's lacking.

Okay, beside that damn percussion piece (that nobody would care about if it weren't written by JW, and featured in an Indy film), what exactly is lacking that makes this release such an upsetting listening?

It may be incomplete but that doesn't mean it's lacking?!?!

By very definition, that's exactly what it means.

No, it wouldn't.

That's what, five minutes? That these five minutes could make the listening experience infinitely better is, in my bloody opinion, nothing than a fanboy dream.

If you have a gripe with the action is ToD, well, then blame it on JW, since that's just the way TOD is.

I think this may clear things up for Fatty: Think about the ROTS album. We think of it as a sub-par album presentation, not because the music present is bad, but more because it focuses on one aspect of the score: the darker music. When you added goodies leaked in the video game such as "Another Happy Landing" and "Arrival at Utapau," it gave more balance. Substitute "action music" for "darker music," and I think that's pretty much what Henry's trying to say.

With the difference that there is infinitely more music lacking on the ROTS album than on the Indy set. With ROTS, with the material at hand, you could lean the ROTS album to either side, dark, subtle, action and so on.

With ToD, you have no choice because this is what ToD is, from head to toe, it's a musical rollercoaster ride that doesn't has much rest.

I agree with Delorean and KM (not about the bridge music). We have just been allowed to put our hands on some of the most sought after soundtrack music all time. Sometimes it seems like the only thing certain JWFans can do is act pessimistic over releases and scores.

This release has its fair share of flaws, I'm not going to dispute that, but overall it is still a magnificent release. I am extremely grateful to all of those at Concord.

This could have been like the UE, or worse--we could have just gotten OST reissues!

No, it wouldn't.

That's what, five minutes? That these five minutes could make the listening experience infinitely better is, in my bloody opinion, nothing than a fanboy dream.

If you have a gripe with the action is ToD, well, then blame it on JW, since that's just the way TOD is.

Fanboy dream?

You are all the same fanboys that Concord hoped to please with this set. If you accept whatever they throw at you, you're never going to get what you really want...and after all these years, what we ALL deserve.

And what would be so wrong with an UE release on this movie? People keep making this comparison but TPM and TOD are two COMPLETELY different scores. One was hacked to pieces by a neurotic filmmaker and the other would be a damn good listening experience.

An UE style release would be horrible...any UE style is as most cues in the film are cut up, re-arranged, or looped. Most film version scores suck big time and most of us don't want it. I don't want a damn isolated score for a movie released on CD.

And, pray tell, what DO we deserve?

I mean, I know what YOU deserve, but ...

You deserve what you pay for.

Clearly some have lower expectations than others.

But I don't think I should be criticized for my expectations like others here (including yourself) are doing to me.

An UE style release would be horrible...any UE style is as most cues in the film are cut up, re-arranged, or looped. Most film version scores suck big time and most of us don't want it. I don't want a damn isolated score for a movie released on CD.

Pray tell...

Which cues in the Indiana Jones films are cut up, re-arranged and looped like Phantom Menace?

Let me explain my indifference to the rope bridge percussions

All these years I hardly remembered it and didn't realize it was an actual part of JW's score. It seemed more like integrated SFX for the bridge sequence to me.

And my expectations for this box set were initially MUCH lower than what we ended up getting ,so maybe that's why I'm not complaining.

No, it wouldn't.

Fanboy dream?

You are all the same fanboys that Concord hoped to please with this set. If you accept whatever they throw at you, you're never going to get what you really want...and after all these years, what we ALL deserve.

Sorry...but what exactly do we deserve? What great lenghts have we climbed to make these scores accesible to everybody? What have you sacrificed in an attempt to get a decent release of this music?

We don't deserve anything. Concord was kind enough (and sensible enough, as I'm sure they've made a nice profit) to release these scores. Let us be thankful and not angry.

:( "Indy's Very First Adventure"

Remember this is Paramount and they were supposed to NEVER come out ,at least not in our expected lifetime.

And our hopes definetly weren't raised when Lucasfilm reissued the SW SE for the 30th Anniversary...again.