Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The American Temple of Doom CD has the tapping. I'd love to know how these rumors get started.

Neil

Good to know... as I said it was mentioned in a 2003 issue of FSM with a TOD analysis.... However these things get started it's obvious someone just wanted to stir the pot.

Hey, this has probably been discussed to death, but I have a question reg. Map/Out of Fuel:

Apart from Willie Scott's theme being shortened, is there any difference from the movie version? BTW, I love what the strings do from 00:31-00:34! :lol:

Also, the way it starts, I never noticed the strings playing in the background... was that in the movie? (When Indy and Willie are arguing.)

Oh, I love the moment when the music gets all frantic and excited and only stops when Short Round says, "You call him Dr. Jones!" Like Williams just couldn't be bothered to write music for THAT! Hahaha.

Marshall college is when he lived in connecticut he got a teaching job at barnett college which he moved to new york just before the events of last crusade.

Then why is Brody still there? And why would Indy work at Marshall College in Raiders, move to Barnett in LC, and move back to Marshall in KotCS?

Unless you're joking.

Indy has worked on many universities according to EU...

And brody is the curator of the New york museum. Is Marshall college near New york? I know Barnett is.

I dont know why but my Raiders CD is slightly and lighty scratched. TLW is much worse and it plays and rips fine. BUt sfor some reason track 22 is impossible to rip corerectly. Thanks god the skipping sounds are aleatory (every time i rip they are in a different place) and i have managed to made a glitch-free edit. But it annoys me a lot :lol:

I don't hear this high "frequency" deal that's being reported in the cue "To Pankot Palace". I know my ears are fine and I've got good high quality headphones to boot.

There is a 17khz tone running throughout To Pankot Palace - it starts at 1:21 (after The Scroll completely fails to segue into it).

It's awful that Concord has such a crap distribution process. It's awful that Amazon lures you in pre-ordering then changes the release date...twice. And now nobody can ship it in a decent time

Then they wonder why people get fed up and D/L stuff.

You should write to Amazon. Maybe your order got lost in the mail.

Marshall college is when he lived in connecticut he got a teaching job at barnett college which he moved to new york just before the events of last crusade.

Then why is Brody still there? And why would Indy work at Marshall College in Raiders, move to Barnett in LC, and move back to Marshall in KotCS?

Unless you're joking.

And brody is the curator of the New york museum. Is Marshall college near New york? I know Barnett is.

But it's the same university he works in in Raiders, LC, and KotCS, right? They all look the same from the outside (and the inside).

You should write to Amazon. Maybe your order got lost in the mail.

Unless you're joking.

But it's the same university he works in in Raiders, LC, and KotCS, right? They all look the same from the outside (and the inside).

i suppose many colleges look the same? Specially if they are of the same architecture (is it victorian?)

I mean in UK too, oxford college is similar to cambridge college.

switch back=nostalgia and another connection to Raiders. (wharehouse, Ark, themes, marion, jungle chase...)

Well,it's because nobody noticed...until now

I knew that LC college was different fro Raiders....

Eh, I guess. It just seems strange that they would switch colleges for LC for no apparent reason, and then switch back to Marshall in KotCS.

The college in KotCS is not the same one as in Raiders.

Eh, I guess. It just seems strange that they would switch colleges for LC for no apparent reason, and then switch back to Marshall in KotCS.

The college in KotCS is not the same one as in Raiders.

Here's a locations page on Raiders. One of the locations is Marshall College.

By clicking on that link, we get to the Marshall College page, which recounts the beginning of KotCS.

The page also says this:

The college is named in honor of Frank Marshall, a regular collaborator with Spielberg and a producer on all four films. When the college scenes were originally shot for Raiders of the Lost Ark, there was no perceived need to name the college, but when the novelization was being written, the author, Campbell Black, needed to call the college something, so the name Marshall College was conceived. Marshall himself forgot this until, when the film crew returned to shoot the college scenes for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he began seeing his name everywhere.

Well, I haven't seen anyone posting this kind of info anywhere, so I'll give it a shot.

These are some preliminary pitch correction numbers for those interested. I absolutely love the set, and its the first time I've ever owned these scores, so every track has been a revelation.

However, I have a really good ear, and the pitch problems on some tracks are killing me. So I decided to take a stab at ironing them out. While there is perhaps a very, very slight change in the quality of the sound when correcting the pitch, if you have a good program, it won't be noticeable. Hell, even within the same program, you can use two different methods and get two different results. I'm using Acid Pro, and a VST Plug-in for pitch correction.

Note: these are not final or definitive by any means. They are merely approximations arrived at by comparing between the films, DCC Raiders, and my own ear. I may alter these further, but these sound good to me for now. If anyone else has had better results than these, please post the info. These are some of the worst offenders, but I will be scrubbing through every track from Raiders and ToD.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Map Room: Dawn --- - 27 cents

Desert Chase --- 0:00 - 2:08 --- - 1.8 cents

Desert Chase --- 2:08 - 5:33 --- - 4.9 cents

Desert Chase --- 5:33 - end --- - 14 cents

Temple of Doom

Short Round Helps --- + 7.5 cents (still in flux)

Return To The Village --- + 17 cents (still in flux)

End Credits --- - 7.5 cents

More to come.

It's not so much that the pitch wavers within the track, but with each major cut within the track. I chopped Desert Chase into bits and put it next to the DCC version to compare the two. Aside from the terrible micro-edits, the pitch changes twice, each one a major edit. Add to that the fact that the track starts off a little sharp, and you see how strange the Concord version really is. At first I thought that it might have something to do with tempo changes, but that doesn't make much sense. Its really too bad, since the clarity and quality of the mixes on this set are golden. Oh well, it sounds great now that its fixed.

Anyone know if the Raiders OST had the same strange pitch problem in Desert Chase with each major edit, or is this a case of the track being re-edited to its OST form by Concord and picking up new pitch problems during the process?

The OST had pitch problems of its own, but the Concord cue is a case of newly remastered material (with pitch problems) being edited to its OST form.

"Desert Chase" is made up of three separate cues, correct? "Indy In Pursuit", "Truck Chase", and "Indy's Feats".

Is it possible that the pitch changes within the track occur when it changes from cue to cue?

I think that's exactly what's happening.

I think I finished Short Round Helps. The first quarter of the track (0:00 - approx. 1:15, when the triumphant version of the A-theme kicks in) is flat by about 7.5 cents. The rest sounds fine after that (as far as I can tell.) I've been checking and rechecking the DVD, and the pitch sounds right from then on. As corrected, it sounds seamless. The pitch shift was very jarring before. One caveat is that I may still modify the pitch a little more. 7.5 cents may not be quite right, but it sounds fine to me. I need to listen to the DVD some more before calling it final.

I hate having tracks that continue into the next track.

Firstly my iPod apparently doesn't support gapless playback.

However, more importantly, I like listening to various tracks in random mode.

Therefore I like to have something like a proper beginning and end to each track.

I will thus either add fade-in/out's to my tracks or combine them whenever I can.

I forgot in which thread I intended to post this, but anyway...

Superman doesn't really do much for me.

John Williams is the best composer there is for me,

but mainly because he wrote amazing music for franchises I like a lot.

Most notably Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter.

It's not so much that the pitch wavers within the track, but with each major cut within the track. I chopped Desert Chase into bits and put it next to the DCC version to compare the two.

How much spare time do you have at your hand I wonder?

Has anyone tried contacting Concord concerning the pitch issue? Just wanted to know what their response has been or if they just haven’t responded.

It would be nice if Concord could fix these problems for the individual releases that are bound to happen. They are not going to do anything though if they are unaware of our dissatisfaction. I realize that they probably won’t do anything even if they are aware but it is at least worth some effort.

Did the “early” version of Raiders that was released on the net have pitch issues?

No, it did not. It's evident that the pitch problems arose when Concord hastily remastered Raiders (and perhaps Temple of Doom too) for greater quality.

It's not so much that the pitch wavers within the track, but with each major cut within the track. I chopped Desert Chase into bits and put it next to the DCC version to compare the two.

How much spare time do you have at your hand I wonder?

Well, it actually didn't take that much time. I spent maybe an hour cutting it and lining it up with the DCC version, and then another hour or so messing with the pitch to find the right numbers. I'm still not 100% sure if my numbers are correct, but I keep going back to it when I get a chance. All in all, not that much time has gone into it. It also helps that I had three days off from work this week.

You know, I thought about emailing Concord just to ask about the pitch issue. It would be interesting to hear the response. I'm even more disappointed now to hear that the early version of Concord's Raiders disc had no pitch problems. How could they have altered the pitch in the remastering process? Wasn't anyone paying attention to that?

You know, I thought about emailing Concord just to ask about the pitch issue. It would be interesting to hear the response. I'm even more disappointed now to hear that the early version of Concord's Raiders disc had no pitch problems. How could they have altered the pitch in the remastering process? Wasn't anyone paying attention to that?

What for? To get a pre-fabricated reply by 'Brandi' or 'Muffy' from customer services?

The best chance to address this is via the forthcoming Bozereau interview and i suspect he won't be helpful, either. Because if they would admit that they screwed it up, they had to replace the widely sold set. You judge yourself how likely that is...

No, it did not. It's evident that the pitch problems arose when Concord hastily remastered Raiders (and perhaps Temple of Doom too) for greater quality.

How do we know that it was 'hastily remastered'?