2009 Texas Jwfan Meetup

Saxbabe

So...it's pretty neat that this spring there will be at least FOUR concerts I know of featuring music by JW, and many chances for JWFans to get together. We sure had a blast in 2007 when we met up, and it would be really cool to get to meet even more JW fans this time around! (Non-Texans are also invited. ;) Actually anyone is! :o)

I think it's not too early to start planning, so listed below are the upcoming concerts in Dallas and Houston.

FEBRUARY 6, 7, 8, 2009

"Star Wars and More John Williams"

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...all-powerful Jedi Master Michael Krajewski and his followers have their instruments loaded and ready to take you for an epic journey through the music of Star Wars. May the force be with you as you hear “The Imperial March,” “Star Wars Main Theme” and “Yoda’s Theme.” Also enjoy John Williams music from Indiana Jones, ET, Jaws and Harry Potter.

Houston Symphony

Michael Krajewski, conductor

FEBRUARY 19-22, 2009

Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 3

Glazunov: Concerto for alto saxophone and orchestra

J. Williams: Escapades for saxophone and orchestra

Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Andrew Litton, conductor

Branford Marsalis, saxophone

APRIL 2, 4, 5, 2009

"John Williams and Rachmaninoff"

You can hear John Williams’ life-long love of the horn in his concerto, which was written as he was completing the music to the third Harry Potter film. Imagine your own picture to the concerto’s movements—Angelus, The Battle of the Trees, Pastorale, The Hunt and Nocturne.

Houston Symphony

Peter Oundjian, conductor

William VerMeulen, horn

Vaughn Williams: Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis

John Williams: Concerto for Horn and Orchestra

John Williams: Celebration Fanfare

Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances

APRIL 10-11

"The Music of John Williams"

Richard Kaufman conducts an epic musical adventure with the DSO featuring music from your big-screen favorites, including Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark and more.

Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Richard Kaufman, conductor

I'm already getting excited...I should be able to do the two Houston ones.

Last time what we did is met that afternoon, had dinner, stayed the night of the concert in a hotel nearby, hung out, and had breakfast the next day. Really fun. :(

~Greta

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past Friday John and I were discussing which concerts we wanted to attend. As long as they fall on the weekend I don't see a problem attending.

The first Houston and last Dallas ones look the most promising, but I doubt I could make that first Houston one. I know the next AWS concert is in March and I was telling Mark this weekend that I was hoping to make a weekend out of that.

I'm certainly interested in getting as many JWFanners together as we can, Texan and non-Texan (hey, that's how the world breaks down ;) ). I think that last one in Dallas, April 10-11, might be the best time.

They already have, you missed it.

That wasn't a piss-up, that was a lovein. Sad truth is, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery! I'd love to be proven wrong of course :D

Sod the Yankies, The Brits and the Euros of JWFan should arrange a big piss-up

I'm sorry...I don't speak lobster back. What were you saying? ;)

Don't worry, you're invited too. ;)

Wished I live close to Texas, but sadly I do not.

How's Southern California, Trent?

That sounds like so much fun, Greta! i was telling Neil last night at the GSPO concert that we JWFanners should do something before the Williams concert here in June, but I have no idea how many members live around here or would be interested....

• 3 months later...

NOTICE!

I got a email update from the Symphony that the tickets are almost completely sold out for this weekend JW concerts! That like NEVER happens around here!

Has anybody decided if they are going and when? Me and a friend are looking at Sunday matinee, but we really haven't decided yet. Wanted to see what anyone here is doing and then we're going to see about it tomorrow...

-Greta

I know I certainly can't make it this weekend. The last one in April would be most likely for me, but that'd be iffy too. If one popped up during the summer it would be much better.

Oops!!!! Forgot all about it. :rolleyes:

The Mrs. wants to go to the Dallas Symphony concert in April, don't know about the Houston concerts. I know we're going in March to see the Austin Wind Symphony, although it appears they've changed their concert from video games to a "Best Of Concert", including The Dark Knight. I guess I can get up and take a smoke break when they play that piece. :P

Shouldn't this thread be called 2009 Texas Jwfan Roundup and not Meetup?

Texas is big enough that not everybody wears ten gallon hats and subscribes to the cattle rustling lifestyle of a cowboy.

Three times, I've been to a rural area of Texas two hours west of Fort Worth and I saw folks wearing cowboy hats. They were not as common as the folks wearing ballcaps or no hats, but they were there. The Stockyards had a lot of people wearing them, but that's to be expected.

Heck, I saw someone up here wearing one in the mall a few weeks ago, and he strangely did not look that much out of place.

LOLZ! ;) We'll see about the concert this weekend, at the rate things are going I may have to not go too. For me also it's kind of bad timing (due to some major problemas con mi carro) and pretty much no one has any money right now! (Surprise...) So we haven't decided yet...

Dallas is a loooong way away for me (at least 6 hrs) but who knows, I could be interested in going in April. If we were having a serious meetup, I may try to swing that. I am definitely for sure without a doubt going to the Horn Concerto/Celebration Fanfare concert in Houston I know. April is going to be one busy concert month! Those are back to back weekends, and that week in between Gustavo Dudamel and his Venezuelan wonder orchestra are coming to Houston which I already have gotten tickets for!

I wish Texas was smaller...that would make things much easier.

Oops!!!! Forgot all about it. ;)

The Mrs. wants to go to the Dallas Symphony concert in April, don't know about the Houston concerts. I know we're going in March to see the Austin Wind Symphony, although it appears they've changed their concert from video games to a "Best Of Concert", including The Dark Knight. I guess I can get up and take a smoke break when they play that piece. ;)

A live acoustic performance of Zimmer's music would sound kind of strange, at least in theory.

Well we've heard a full suite of POTC performed by the Houston Symphony.

I don't know if we ever came to a positive conclusion or not....John...Greta????

I think the general consensus was that is was mildly tolerable when performed by a full and talented orchestra. Kind of like finding a really good scented air freshener for the bathroom.

The only tickets left for the Sunday HSO concert are $88 a piece. I waited too long and will not be spending that much on multiple seats. The $29 tickets went fast, they said on the phone.

The April Dallas Symphony concerts, anyone?

• 1 month later...

Is anyone planning on going to the upcoming Horn Concerto concert in Houston? I'm definitely planning to go but trying to decide what day. I for sure won't be able to make it up to Dallas..

Unfortunately not. There were so many good concert possibilites, but I'm not going to be able to make any of them. :lol: (Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to be in Dallas in April anyway. ;) )

If something pops up during the summer I might be able to go.

• 1 month later...

OMG OMG must take breath....Houston Symphony just put up their summer schedule and it includes Fenton's Blue Planet Live!! Yay!!!

And the yearly Dollar Concert (every ticket is $1) this year features The Planets.

For the cherry on top, there is a Music of Star Trek and Sci-Fi concert too with music from the original series, and also "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the Emmy® Award-winning music of Star Trek: Voyager, this year's Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and 2001: Space Odyssey."

All these concerts take place in mid/late July 8O

EDIT: To John - yes they are having the Video Games Live concert again too.

Dates and Times:

Music of Star Trek & More Sci-Fi

Thursday, July 9, 7:30 p.m.

Houston Chronicle Dollar Concert

Mozart: Overture to The Magic Flute

Holst: The Planets

Sunday, July 12, 7:30 p.m.

Gamer MusiCON 09

with Video Games Live™ & Blizzard Live!

Saturday, July 18

Doors open at 2 p.m.

The Blue Planet Live!

Friday, July 24, 7:30 p.m.

All at Jones Hall downtown.

Dates and Times:

Music of Star Trek & More Sci-Fi

Thursday, July 9, 7:30 p.m.

Houston Chronicle Dollar Concert

Mozart: Overture to The Magic Flute

Holst: The Planets

Sunday, July 12, 7:30 p.m.

Gamer MusiCON 09

with Video Games Live™ & Blizzard Live!

Saturday, July 18

Doors open at 2 p.m.

The Blue Planet Live!

Friday, July 24, 7:30 p.m.

All at Jones Hall downtown.

Some good stuff there. It's tempting.

Video Games Live is the Saturday before I go on vacation. I'd love to go to that. I'd love to go to the Trek one more, but I wouldn't be able to get the time off then.

• 1 month later...

Just reminding you guys these are coming up soon! ;)

http://www.houstonsymphony.org/concert/summer.aspx

BTW, for the Star Trek/Sci-Fi music concert they are having contests and such - one is a Name That Sci-Fi Tune contest, people can enter in teams of 3. Man, a set of JWFanners would surely be hard to beat in that ROFL!!

more infos:

http://www.houstonsymphony.org/concert/sum...ntestrules.aspx

Looking at going to that one, Blue Planet Live for sure, and maybe the Dollar Concert w/ The Planets (although they are playing it in regular season next year as well ;)

Anyone else so far? :)

• 2 months later...

Star Wars in Concert is coming to Texas:

Oct 22nd at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington

Oct 25th at the Toyota Center in Houston