The Cowboys or The Reivers?

tpigeon

which Americana-sounding score by Williams do you prefer?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Cowboys
    • The Reivers

which is your favorite? mine is The Reivers. i'll elaborate more on that later, but football is on now so i haven't the time.

Ted, who thinks the game tonight will be great!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be the condensed version of that list...  :|

i can never please you, Morn. i just want to know which score everybody prefers out of these two, since they are of a similar nature.

Ted

here's my opinion...

i have both cd's, The Cowboys and The Reivers, and though i love the Copeland-inspired music in The Cowboys, i think the Reivers is an absolute masterpiece. from the moment i first heard that theme, i was totally enchanted by it. i could have sworm that i heard it before, but i have yet to see the film (since it is out of print and impossible to locate!), because it was an immediate connection for me. there's something about it that sweeps me into this happy-go-lucky world of imagination that may sound pretentious, but is totally true. the same goes for the entire score, which is focussed around that one theme mainly, in that there's something about it immerses me into this unexplainable state.

it's mainly in the string melody, but as is the case with most Williams pieces for me, there's something about the entire orchestra in unison that propels me into another world. i don't know what it is, but this score just does it for me. that's the only explanation for my feelings, it's the best i can do. much of experiencing music is too intangible and goes far beyond my ability to formulate words, especially with Williams' music.

The Reivers is one of my very favorite pieces of music by Mr. Williams.

Ted

it's mainly in the string melody, but as is the case with most Williams pieces for me, there's something about the entire orchestra in unison that propels me into another world. i don't know what it is, but this score just does it for me. that's the only explanation for my feelings, it's the best i can do. much of experiencing music is too intangible and goes far beyond my ability to formulate words, especially with Williams' music.

Excellent. I know exactly what you mean about this (not specifically with the Reivers, but all his works). I feel the same way.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't really see the need for visual mode, although I appreciate the effort put into it. But what's up with what the post looks like after having used visual mode? I first wondered if it was just my computer or something, so I'm glad it's not.

Ray Barnsbury

No comparison I'm afraid - although I love The Reivers, as was stated earlier in the thread, Cowboys is Cowboys! Nothing pre-Jaws comes close to it I'm afraid! And tpigeon, yes I reckon you have heard the Reivers theme before, but only if you're a fan of crap British sitcoms, in this instance the theme from Last of the Summer Wine...

Now I know that Reivers came first, but maybe someone British would like to dispute the similarity between the Nixon theme and Emmerdale....!

Both scores have really beautiful moments, so it's hard to say. Which is better, "Prayers at Bedtime" from Reivers or "Summer's Over" from Cowboys? I suppose I prefer the more bustling Americana material from Cowboys than the bluegrass tinged motifs of Reivers.

Just comparing the main themes/overtures The Cowboys takes the cake.

And they're tied at 9 a piece as they come down the final stretch. :)

Justin