Upcoming Films

Quintus

Jesse Eisenberg (some kind of mini Woody Allen), Bruce Willis and Kristen Stewart to star in next Woody Allen movie:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/jesse-eisenberg-bruce-willis-kristen-stewart-woody-allen-1201388945/

First pic of Matthew McConaughey in Gary 'The Hunger Games' Ross' new movie called The Free State Of Jones:

9201e33_zpsdxvsmwx2.jpg

Yes, the golden age of the Studio System. Directors were under long-term contracts and had to produce on mass. That was before my time!

Bergman certainly wasn't. But I see your point. :D

Looks fun, everything east of the San Andreas fault line sinks into the Atlantic.

Belgium and the Netherlands are destroyed by mass flooding.

Looks fun, everything east of the San Andreas fault line sinks into the Atlantic.

Belgium and the Netherlands are destroyed by mass flooding.

So we lose Cosman and Cremers? That doesn't sound fun. :(

If Alex won't watch then he'll have to live it.

As will I.

I'll just say this in advance in case it happens:

It was nice knowing you guys.

i keep wondering what are they gonna do with the crows -in my opinion they are not racist, though they are played by white actors so I get why people can get pissed off. Still, all an animated movie requires from an actor -esentially- is their voice. So why should color matter? It's even worse when people say King Louie from Jungle Book is racist although he's played by a white jazz player, Louie Prima. So aren't they the ones that are racist by automatically assuming a jazz singer is black?

I truly hope I don't start a chain reaction here but just wanted to express what I've been thinking for many years in a few words.

I do apologise, but it's something the filmmakers will also have to ponder about. Though with Transformers track record, I'm not too sure how tastefully they'll handle it. And the rustabouts... Ok, I should shut up

DrHAX_BanHammer.jpg?1387055394

With Depp?

Depp wasn't in his last two, and won't be in his next either. They might re-team again for Dumbo, but I doubt it.

I wonder if he's gonna do this one before or after Beetlejuice 2.

But your comments about King Louie... Doesn't that describe the entire principle of blackface? A white actor using makeup, or in this case an animated character, to portray a caricature of a minority, when the minority actor wouldn't? And even though Louie is an orangutan, an ape is similar to a monkey (which comprise his kingdom), which carries racial overtones. I never thought of Louie as being racist, just really funny, unless he's a black man kept down by the white man he wants to be like, except the white man in this case is an Indian orphan.

Movies are a product of their time, and Disney cartoons are no exception. There aren't many Disney stories from that time with black main or supporting characters, and the few that were drawn are seen as being racist now because racism then was prevalent and deemed socially acceptable by those in charge, the folks who made and saw the films.

Should the crows be black now? No, they don't have to be, and they should not be racist caricatures. Were the crows jabs at Jim Crow laws? I don't know. I think in a larger sense, we have to think of Dumbo's crow friends as simply coming from a different walk of life than he. Dumbo was born in a circus, which looked fancy and upper class, but he was abandoned. He learned his true value and abilities with the help of some folks from the lower class. So the new crows could just be poor folks that help Dumbo fly, the race card doesn't need to be played.

But your comments about King Louie... Doesn't that describe the entire principle of blackface? A white actor using makeup, or in this case an animated character, to portray a caricature of a minority, when the minority actor wouldn't? And even though Louie is an orangutan, an ape is similar to a monkey (which comprise his kingdom), which carries racial overtones. I never thought of Louie as being racist, just really funny, unless he's a black man kept down by the white man he wants to be like, except the white man in this case is an Indian orphan.

Maybe, but the complaints about Louie being insensitive started arising more recently, long after Prima was dead. In the 60's, audiences knew it was Louie Prima's voice and so far I haven't been able to find any complaints about that subject from those days, it seems to be a more recent thing. Of course Kipling's work can be very racist at times, so maybe unintentionally that got carried into the movie, although the movie and the book couldn't be more different if they tried. I remember reading and interview with the Sherman brothers where the producers of the movie originally wanted to hire Louie Armstrong for the role, but Shermans told them they were gonna get in a lot of trouble so went with Prima instead, to avoid exactly this problem. But again, it's the voice that matters here. Why does the color of your skin matters? Maybe I'm being too innocent...

And yeah, Mowgli is Indian. He talks like an average american kid from those days, but still I think it was the first non-white main character from a Disney animated movie and it's kinda overlooked.

Movies are a product of their time, and Disney cartoons are no exception. There aren't many Disney stories from that time with black main or supporting characters, and the few that were drawn are seen as being racist now because racism then was prevalent and deemed socially acceptable by those in charge, the folks who made and saw the films.

Should the crows be black now? No, they don't have to be, and they should not be racist caricatures. Were the crows jabs at Jim Crow laws? I don't know. I think in a larger sense, we have to think of Dumbo's crow friends as simply coming from a different walk of life than he. Dumbo was born in a circus, which looked fancy and upper class, but he was abandoned. He learned his true value and abilities with the help of some folks from the lower class. So the new crows could just be poor folks that help Dumbo fly, the race card doesn't need to be played.

If Disney's intention was to laugh about them, then it's sadly inexcusable. And sure, hiring actual black actors would have been a great progress, but still the crows are the only good characters from the movie that care for Dumbo -that aren't Timothy or his mom. As a kid I always watched the Spanish-dubbed version, and they put them what would be a variation of Spanish accents from Spain, specifically from Andalucía: the andaluz dialect. So that was never an issue for me until I watched the original version with the english voices, and yeah, it's weird. But still the crows are good is what I'm saying. Isn't that in a way a positive thing? Now if they were the villains, that would be inexcusable.

I don't think you two have really grasped the concept of a different past. Truth is that Disney was a rather liberal man who even thought he would advance black causes with movies like SONG OF THE SOUTH.

I don't think you two have really grasped the concept of a different past. Truth is that Disney was a rather liberal man who even thought he would advance black causes with movies like SONG OF THE SOUTH.

If I may add to this...

If you were to compare Disney films during that time period against other cartoons from studios such as Universal and Warner Bros., Dumbo and Song of the South were rather tame in racial depictions. I'm not going to post the videos here out of fear of the mighty banhammer, but I can still give out titles scuh as Universal's Scrub me Mamma with a Boogie Beat (1941).

And WW2 propaganda cartoons don't count either, because it was no-bars hold for racial depictions of the enemy as everyone was doing it.

I'm told Big Eyes is not bad.

Karol

I want to see that one ... despite the lukewarm reactions. I'm in for a non CGI overloaded Burton movie.

It's good. Carried well by the cast, but it leans more on the sentimental side. And its ultimately inconsequential in its place in his career.

I'm sure he felt a connection with those paintings and their actual artist. A connection strong enough to warrant a feature-length dramatization of those events set to the music of Danny Elfman.

Kevin Smith will direct Mallrats 2 after Clerks III, Yoga Hosers, Moose Jaws, Hit That, and Anti-Claus

So the main who claimed a few years ago he was retiring after Zack and Miri, Cop Out, and Red State all bombed was basically full of it.