Upcoming Films

Quintus

Scott being one note all the time prior to Thelma and Louise was because he hadn't grown as an artist till that point. The success and brilliance of that movie allowed him to move onto broader material, some of which I absolutely love, like Gladiator for example. If he was still just working with bleak and dystopian themes all the time he'd be another boring cliché working in Alex's favourite masturbatory genre.

Thelma & Louise is brilliant. Geena Davis, Susan Sarandon, Michael Madsen, Brad Pitt, Harvey Keitel, a great script, breathtaking cinematography, a wonderful Zimmer score, great choice of songs, plus the most perfect ending.

And one big LOL moment that gets me laughing out loud every time. Take a guess which scene makes me do that. ;)

I'd love for Scott to return to this kind of filmmaking... with heartfelt emotions and focusing on the characters' journey, not relying on visual effects or bloated storylines.

I watched it recently with the gf because she hadn't seen it. It has dated somewhat and not all of it works (the slimy rapist and that scene feel pretty two dimensional and very 'Hollywood'), but I still really enjoyed the archetypal road movie aspects, the relationships, the strong female leads, the sweltering scenery and Hans' pitch-perfect electric underscore. It's a quality film.

Ridley Scott's The Martian is getting good responses out of the Toronto Film Festival.

Vanity Fair: "It's safe to go into space with Ridley Scott again...sublime, sophisticated entertainment"

4 Reasons Why The Martian is Ridley Scott's Big Comeback

Ridley Scott is unquestionably one of the biggest directors in Hollywood, but even his most ardent fans have to admit that Scott’s recent track record has been all over the place. As I settled in for the screening of Scott’s latest film, The Martian, at the Toronto Film Festival this morning, I thought about Prometheus in particular and how my dashed expectations for that film had cautioned me against getting my hopes up today.

Happily, I can report that he’s still got it. The Martian isn’t liable to become an iconic sci-fi film in the vein of Scott’s early classics Alien and Blade Runner, but it’s a rock-solid, damn fine crowd-pleaser, and that’s more than enough.

Apparently Shyamalan's new "creepy" movie is being received pretty well by a decent portion of critics. He's probably cried to himself while in the shower this week, bless him.

That's a genuine surprise. The trailers made it look just as bad as his other films.

Apparently Shyamalan's new "creepy" movie is being received pretty well by a decent portion of critics. He's probably cried to himself while in the shower this week, bless him.

That's a genuine surprise. The trailers made it look just as bad as his other films.

I hear people saying it's still kinda stupid but that he seems to be embracing that more this time...supposedly it treads the line between comedy and horror much better than something like The Happening where I never had any idea what he was going for. I've been avoiding his films since then but I think I'll catch this one when it hits Redbox/Netflix.

Scott has to make Prometheus. He just has to. He has no choice. And he wants to go back all the way to the very beginning (Psst !The architects are not the beginning). I say, let him be!

p018j4ty_zps4ysgscu8.jpg

Alexandre

Those Nolan rumors are questionable at best. If anything he may produce or something like that. Much more reliable folks have been indicating for a while that it'll be an original project, but we'll know soon either way.

Meh.

I'd rather have Scott be involved, given that Akira was heavily influenced by Blade Runner visually. Everything would come full circle!

EXXXXXXPOSIIIIIIIIITIONNNNNNNN

Yeah, looks good. A little too digital and looks like they're trying to sell it a little too epic.

Shere Khan looks like it's going to be a lot more present though, which can end up resulting for better or worse. Though we're finally getting a fight between him and Bagheera, something that was really missing from the original.

Yeah, not really live action in the end. Apart from the kid, it all looks CG (and on some shots, the kid seems to be CG anyway). And not particularly impressive CG...

Not quite sure how I feel about the trailer. Some stuff look interesting, and then there's other stuff that looks average...

The Serkis version will probably be better anyway!