Upcoming Films

Quintus

Personally, I'm not so sure of that. The son of Bowie is a nice guy and all but he doesn't really do it for me. I'm still curious for his Mute project with Paul Rudd.

Alex

Warcraft trailer is here

Looks laughably bad

Agreed.

I love how many Warcraft fanboys seem to think this movie will break the video games adaptations curse. Not gonna happen.

Do they though? I haven't watched the trailer because the movie has no appeal to me.

No, Koray will say it's the first comedy ever that enters his movies all time 100.

I, OTOH, will say that QT should retire.

Steef will not watch it because it's a Western.

Everybody knows that it's an unwritten rule that comedies are always in 1.85:1. How will people, who watch this at home, gonna react to the enormous black bars that coincide with 70mm?

In that case:

Personally, I'm not so sure of that. The son of Bowie is a nice guy and all but he doesn't really do it for me. I'm still curious for his Mute project with Paul Rudd.

Alex

Everybody knows that it's an unwritten rule that comedies are always in 1.85:1. How will people, who watch this at home, gonna react to the enormous black bars that coincide with 70mm?

There won't be any black bars in the cinemas where it will be projected in 70mm. Apparently QT has been overseeing certain cinemas across the globe to be refitted with special screens to accommodate the 70mm 2.76:1 projection.

No, Koray will say it's the first comedy ever that enters his movies all time 100.

I love plenty of comedies.

I'm frankly puzzled at the love people pour on Tarantino's work. Most of them are slick homages to B-movies (Kill Bill, Jackie Brown) and exploitation flicks (Death Proof)... and for some reason A-list actors like working with him. Stylish poses, artful cinematography, one-liners, copious gore and F-bombs do not make for great movies. Plus QT soured me with his recent "cops are killers" statement.

The Hateful Eight looks absolutely stunning, but I'm going to pass on it.

I'm frankly puzzled at the love people pour on Tarantino's work. Most of them are slick homages to B-movies (Kill Bill, Jackie Brown) and exploitation flicks (Death Proof)... and for some reason A-list actors like working with him. Stylish poses, artful cinematography, one-liners, copious gore and F-bombs do not make for great movies. Plus QT soured me with his recent "cops are killers" statement.

With Tarantino we still have a man like him that does totally his own thing without compromising to the studio system. For that alone he gets my utmost respect.

I own all of his films and there's not one I'd want to give away. He's a true visionary writer / director and the day he retires will be a huge loss for the film business.

It's funny how much ire independent artists like him and Nolan draw from people. You'd think we could all at least agree that autonomous directors shouldn't be wished out of the field, just on principle, regardless of how we like or dislike what they do.

But doesn't that seem expected?

I would think the more independent you are the more ire you're certain to get. Individuality dictates that you're more likely to have an original voice that people don't like and less likely to cater to the center.

With Tarantino we still have a man like him that does totally his own thing without compromising to the studio system. For that alone he gets my utmost respect.

I own all of his films and there's not one I'd want to give away. He's a true visionary writer / director and the day he retires will be a huge loss for the film business.

It's been a long time since he made a really good movie. Everyone should retire once their creative juices have run dry. People like Spielberg, Scott and Tarantino keep on releasing movies because they have expensive yachts to maintain. They are like spoiled kids making rich man's movies.

I'd say Inglorious Bastards is second only to Pulp Fiction in Tarantino's work.

Django Unchained was a disappointing follow-up. Still entertaining though.