Upcoming Films

Quintus

Getting to the Tower is the goal, but there are so many great characters, settings, adventures, and terrifically painted images by King's writing, that the story is so much more than a generic outline may imply.  Every story has a MacGuffin, many of them similar, but how you fill in the landscape and how you go about the journey is what distinguishes the material.

Quite. 

I liked the first Hellboy, but the second wasn't all that interesting to me.  It killed whatever momentum the series had.  Will the general movie-going audience embrace the red devil? 

4 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Will the general movie-going audience embrace the red devil? 

I thought they loved the second one. 

I don't think I ever saw the second one.  I remember liking the first in the theater back in the day

I only remember people saying "The first one was merely okay but the second one is great". People thought it had a better story. I remember it because I liked the first one but not the second one. The first one is more 'situational' than about 'story'.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Both of them are pretty mediocre. 

Maybe it's not for you. Have you checked out Brimstone already? That one has got 'Koray' written all over it. 

20 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Didn't need a reboot just a sequel. Unless this is to be a continuation with a new cast?

Also, Alex selectively misremembered again; people always preferred the original better film over the second.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:31 PM, Jay said:

TIL Darren Aronofsky has already filmed his next film and that it stars Jennifer Lawrence, whom he is now dating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_(upcoming_film)

He's literally old enough to be her father

Weird poster

C_zGyLPUwAA4ugR.jpg:large

I liked Requiem and Black Swan, thought The Fountain was weird, still haven't seen The Wrestler, Noah,  or Pi

Yes.

BLACK SWAN was good.

Not seen PI, or THE WRESTLER.

NOAH took diabolical liberties with the Genesis story, but was entertaining, and proved that, if her life depended on her acting ability, poor old Emma Watson would lose it. The only thing that I remember about REQUIEM... is Ellen Burnstyn being menaced by a refrigerator.

Noah was shit.

I like his other films. And I'm looking forward to this one.

13 hours ago, Richard said:

It's not STAR TREK: V, Stu. They're not rock men, they're the Nephilim, and I liked their story-arc (no pun intended :lol:).

I bet Shatner was in awe of the movie.

David Lowery's next film:

23 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

At least this Clint Mansell score will get a release!

I actually looked more into this film and learned that Mansell isn't scoring, Johannsson is!

On 9/5/2017 at 5:29 PM, Alexcremers said:

I only remember people saying "The first one was merely okay but the second one is great". People thought it had a better story. I remember it because I liked the first one but not the second one. The first one is more 'situational' than about 'story'.

The story is pretty much the same in both. The second one has really cool visual effects but the score was much less interesting (if effective when it had stuff to do, though)

On 10/5/2017 at 5:02 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Their scores are too.

BOOOOO!

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

The story is pretty much the same in both.

I don't know about that but the first one was less story & FX driven. That was my problem with the second. It was more a skeleton of a story. Suddenly we have a telegram style of storytelling similar to some Harry Potter movies. A collection of scenes (with nothing that binds the scenes) designed to show off SFX.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I'll believe it when I actually see a trailer for this thing. So many directors, writers, and actors have come and gone at this point, I'm not sure why they keep trying. 

Interesting! Didn't know Branagh was directing. I like the poster.

But it has Depp. Can the film survive that?

I wasn't implying that. I'm very aware that Depp is a very talented actor, especially when given the right roles.

But hasn't he been box office poison for years? With the exception of the POTC films, that is.

It has been quite a while since Branagh directed anything of real quality, but still it's hard to mess up Christie unless he's really determine to.  So... 50/50.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

His Jack Ryan film is quite good and I liked the first Thor.

They're both fine.  Just...fine, whatever.

He hasn't shown the spark of true greatness in over 20 years.  He lost his mojo after Hamlet.

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But a "whodunit"? :sleepy:

To each his own.  Much like with people who enjoy formulaic romantic comedies, I just find the genre to be comfort food.

Is it your thing, Disco? Almost everything on TV is whodunit. I can't say that I'm still fascinated by it. I haven't been for decades.