Upcoming Films

Quintus

Just now, Stefancos said:

You only watch movies on TV screens through right?

Digital doesnt look quite as sharp when it's projected then on a TV screen.

It's the sharpest thing I've ever seen. 

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I saw the "unrestored" 2001 in the cinema last year, taken straight from the original negative and it looked a bit unsharp. 

And that's 70mm!

I can get purism in film criticism with regard to use of practical effects, but I don't get it when the same is applied to the kind of camera being used. Certainly, filmstock has its merits and if you choose to shoot on film, good on ya'. But, likewise, many digital films look absolutely gorgeous. Skyfall is a great example.

And it is catching up rapidly with the resolution of filmstock, too.

Toll made the switch, too, with Billy Lynn. Now there's a man who knows a thing or two about photography.

Dean Semler, as well, used digital to mesmerizing effect in Apocalypto. Its beautiful.

And, if you're the kind of filmmaker that does lots of takes and/or does long takes, digital is much, much more practical for you; which is to say nothing of shooting at night.

Why do we need this and future films. Like an earworm those with OCD and Aspergers must work it out.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Why do we need this and future films. Like an earworm those with OCD and Aspergers must work it out.

I think this is the future films thread. Somebody renamed it.

The Invisible Man has been greenlit by Universal studios not starry Johnny Depp. I think that is great. It is not part of the Dark Universe.  Its free to tell the story unfettered from any larger connected story.

Zack is back!!!

zack_snyder-getty-h_2019.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-returns-movies-zombie-pic-army-dead-1178979

And, best thing of all, Netflix is giving him 100% freedom. 

Zack Snyder: “When the movie gets super big, you get pushed away from the camera," he notes. "And in the last few years, I’ve had a reconnection with photography. This movie will be a chance to get the camera in hand."

That's what I want to hear! Zack is back. On Netflix. In HDR.

Zack Snyder has his strengths and weaknesses but he's one of the great visualists of our time and James Cameron agrees with me. He's not a great all-rounder though. His writing is terrible so I hope he'll work with a very good writer for his upcoming Netflix movie(s). Oh my, Zack Snyder and Netflix ... finally together! I know you modern movie theatre lovers think that Netflix is exactly where he should be ... and you know what? I agree. Zack shouldn't be doing superhero and big franchise movies for the mob. He needs to make the movies he wants to make. And these days Netflix seems to be the place where that is possible. 

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Zack Snyder has his strengths and weaknesses but he's one of the great visualists of our time

Is he though? Most of his movies are very visually desaturated and have the color palette of mud, and his style of staging action tends to be incomprehensible. 

3 minutes ago, John said:

Is he though? Most of his movies are very visually desaturated and have the color palette of mud ...

So if I oversaturate the colors of my film, it's a clear sign of my greatness? Interesting! 

2 hours ago, John said:

... and his style of staging action tends to be incomprehensible. 

Not in his first movies (which were more 'actiony' in nature than full-blown action movies) where the action is presented very strong and clearly, with beautiful blocking.

2 hours ago, John said:

I just think his movies are ugly, that’s all. 

Seems you and Joe have more in common that I thought! ;)

Watchmen is a good film. The rest, I could do without, really.

He's a strong visualist. But clearly needs better writers and projects.

It's a success from multiple fronts: adaptationally, it knew what indulgent details for hyperfans to keep for the 4-hour cut (Tales of the Black Freighter), and also knew what to change that would be completely ridiculous onscreen (Ozzy's plan).

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Story and tone wise Watchmen was all Alan Moore.

And story and tone wise 300 was all Frank Miller.

I often think adapting graphic novels is all he should do.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Zack shouldn't be doing superhero and big franchise movies for the mob.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

I often think adapting graphic novels is all he should do.

There aren't THAT many graphic novels that aren't about superheroes...

He supplies the visual style, but absolutely doesn't try and change the subject matter.

Just now, Jay said:

Are comics all about superheroes over in the US? It really isn't like that in Europe.

There are both here, just like there, of course.  You should walk through a comic shop when you are here this summer, they are fun to browse

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking of those artistic fancy graphic novels I sometimes see in the stores, not the typical Marvel or DC superheroes comic book series.

KdnhgvS.jpg

polarv1-2ed-s10-1155249-1280x0.jpeg

Oops, Steef beat me to it!

2 hours ago, John said:

Is he though? Most of his movies are very visually desaturated and have the color palette of mud, and his style of staging action tends to be incomprehensible. 

Well said. 

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Story and tone wise Watchmen was all Alan Moore.

Who?

Watchman was not watchable. I turned it off.

15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

...and James Cameron agrees with me.

Does he, now? And you know this, how, exactly? Oh, don't tell me; you ran into each other, at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, and he said "Don't I know from the cinematographer's party? Yeah, I loved your essay in Cinefantastique! I agree with you about Snyder, but...ease back on the hyperbole, on JWfan, eh? Who am I to blow against the wind?".

1 hour ago, Richard said:

And you know this, how, exactly?

Because he keeps saying it interviews, Richard.

Kubrick, Scott and Snyder are filmmakers that inspire him. Cameron does seem to like the visualist directors. It's funny, because when I was watching Watchmen, I was somehow reminded of Scott and Kubrick.: The impactful, authoritative presentation, the attention to visual detail, a tone of self-awareness, ... I knew he was of the same school, just like I know it when a music band is from the school of The Beatles. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I agree with you about Snyder, but...ease back on the hyperbole, on JWfan, eh? Who am I to blow against the wind?".

I'm used to it. BTW, I will never hyperbole on his DC movies. I'm glad that's all over now. He's going to focus again on expression, photography, self-awareness but not in a wink-to-the-camera way style of movies. But please, don't let him write the script!

I liked the Batman's dream sequence. With its highly stylistic and choreographed approach, it actually felt like authentic Snyder. 300 and Watchmen are in a way the cinematic equivalent of the ballet.