Upcoming Films

Quintus

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Home Alone in 2020:

Takes out smartphone, "Hey Mom, where are you?"

"Been waiting for the check-in for 4 hours, we just noticed you weren't here. We'll figure something out."

Roll credits.

Mother: "Ok baby, I'll call an Uber to get you and take you to the airport, all right? Don't kill the battery of your smartphone with your silly games!"

Adam Sandler extended his contract and he'll make four more movies for Netflix. All of this because...

2 billion hours equals to 83,333,333 days, which means a little less than 230 thousand years.

To be honest, I expected more from the joint venture between A24 and Netflix, the two saviours of arthouse cinema. I guess most people were mostly impressed by Sandler but I've seen Sandler doing 'other stuff' before, in Punch-Drunk Love and The Meyerowitz Stories. And those two are better movies than Uncut Gems.

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

2 billion hours equals to 83,333,333 days, which means a little less than 230 thousand years.

I smell fresh ink, guys.

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

...Punch-Drunk Love...

You're right, Alex; PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE is a fine film.

Always thought the first Saw was a very good horror-thriller that did just fine on its own with absolutely no need for a franchise (from what I recall, the first one doesn't even end on a sequel set-up).   

And yet ... here we are.  

Looks like someone trying to do a Villeneuve retake on Saw. Sorta like Prisoners meets Seven.

Not super excited about it tbh. Hate the Saw films. But I like the poster.

Glad to hear Anjelica Huston narrating.  She hasn't been in an Anderson film since The Darjeeling Limited (which was her third in a row).

This looks delightful.  Stories within stories?  Each with their own visual look (even with their own aspect ratios)?  He's taking the formal playfulness of Grand Budapest and really running with it.

Spoiler

The idea of Henry Winkler in a Wes Anderson movie is so strange, but somehow perfect.

No one working today makes movies like Anderson.  Movies that seem to exude joy just for the very idea of being a movie.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The idea of Henry Winkler in a Wes Anderson movie is so strange, but somehow perfect.

No one working today makes movies like Anderson.  Movies that seem to exude joy just for the very idea of being a movie.

Though I still love his films very much, they are borderline fantasy at this point. I much prefer his early films that felt grounded and human. 

52 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Though I still love his films very much, they are borderline fantasy at this point. I much prefer his early films that felt grounded and human. 

I first saw Rushmore in 2001, and I’ve been just along for the ride ever since.  I’m on board with anywhere his muse might lead him and I always will be.  Whatever he wants to do.  That said, I think Moonrise is his most perfect film.

Looking forward to the Hunt. It will be trashy fun I am sure. Interestingly facebook will not allow this picture from the movie. It violates their sexuality nudity provisions.

the-hunt-director-breaks-silence-on-controversy-696x464.jpg

Wait till its released to pass judgment. Two time Oscar winner Hilary Swank stars.

Watched the teaser without sound (hey, movies are a visual art from, right?) and it looks promising. I can't say what time period it's supposed to be. Is it Fantasy? 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Watched the teaser without sound (hey, movies are a visual art from, right?) and it looks promising. I can't say what time period it's supposed to be. Is it Fantasy? 

Yes, fantasy retelling of this story:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Middle English: Sir Gawayn and þe Grene Knyȝt) is a late 14th-century Middle English chivalric romance. It is one of the best known Arthurian stories, with its plot combining two types of folk motifs, the beheading game and the exchange of winnings. Written in stanzas of alliterative verse, each of which ends in a rhyming bob and wheel,[1] it draws on Welsh, Irish and English stories, as well as the French chivalric tradition. It is an important example of a chivalric romance, which typically involves a hero who goes on a quest which tests his prowess. It remains popular in modern English renderings from J. R. R. Tolkien, Simon Armitage and others, as well as through film and stage adaptations.