Upcoming Films

Quintus

I'm afraid Dune will be another BR 2049 kind of movie for me, KK. I don't see can it could be otherwise. Dune is a very difficult world to get into and the fact that Villeneuve is the storyteller will not make it easier. With the exception of Prisoners, he kept me at an emotional distance with all of his movies. Of course, I'm slightly curious about the whole production design. How is the world of Dune going to be like? However it turns out, I'm sure it will look great on 4K Blu-ray.

:(

Exclusive: Live-Action ‘Rapunzel’ Movie In The Works At Disney

With Disney’s live-action reimaginings dominating the box office and Disney+, it comes as no surprise that we are hearing the studio is developing a live-action Rapunzel movie.

No word on if the film has any relation to any of the Tangled franchises such as the 2010 film, the Tangled Ever After Short (2012), The Disney Channel original Tangled Before Ever After (2017), and Tangled The Series (2017-).

Ashleigh Powell (The Nutcracker and the Four Realms) Is writing the script, and the movie will be produced by Michael De Luca (Moneyball, Captain Phillips) of Michael de Luca Productions and Kristin Burr (Christopher Robin) of Burr! Productions, who is also producing Cruella. Studio execs are Zoe Kent who is working on the live-action Lilo and Stitch for Disney+ and Jessica Virtue (Mulan 2020).  Lucy Kitada (Eleanor & Park) will oversee the production. A search for the film’s director is currently underway.

The studio is currently searching for a director to tackle the film that we hear is being made for a theatrical release, and not a Disney+ exclusive like Lady and the Tramp. If the project is related to the beloved Disney franchise, hopefully, we also receive a Eugene Fitzherbert aka Flynn Rider, and the villainous Mother Gothel. If the series is in relation to Tangled, who do you picture for this cast? Let us know!

Tangled was a hit with audiences and critics alike, would go on to make over $590 million at the worldwide box office, and would become the most successful Disney animated feature film since The Lion King in 1994, both financially and commercially. The film would also start a brand new movement for the Disney company in terms of aesthetics and marketability similar to how The Little Mermaid impacted the Disney Renaissance.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/14/exclusive-live-action-rapunzel-movie-in-the-works-at-disney/

Kids who were 10 when this flick came out are 20 now, and since they were on the verge of becoming teens, I don't think they "grew up" with the characters. So there is really no nostalgia factor in there. Really odd.

I guess the inevitable Frozen live action remake is closer than we think.

40 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

FROZEN live action? Let it go.

I had a dream to eventually direct that, but they'll get to it before I'm in business most likely.  And Frozen 2 kind of messed up what a live action version could do, unless Disney gives whatever director comes on the project a carte blanche, which is about as likely as snow in you know where.  

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Kids who were 10 when this flick came out are 20 now, and since they were on the verge of becoming teens, I don't think they "grew up" with the characters. So there is really no nostalgia factor in there. Really odd.

I guess but it's not coming out before 2022, probably later than that even. In which case it's appealing to young adults who were 6-8 in 2010. 

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

FROZEN live action? Let it go.

Does this count...

The review embargo in place hasn't prevented the favorable early buzz of the Invisible Man. I am very excited. The original Invisible Man is perhaps my all time favorite Universal classic film. I welcomr this new take and I am encourage by the positive reactions. 

Oscar Winner Martin McDonagh Sets Next Film After ‘Three Billboards’ Success — First Details

McDonagh's fourth directorial feature will be a two-hander set on an Irish isle.

Martin McDonagh is gearing up to return to filmmaking two years after his last project, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” dominated the Oscars with six nominations and two wins: Best Actress for Frances McDormand and Best Supporting Actor for Sam Rockwell. Variety confirms McDonagh will go into production this year on his follow-up project, an untitled two-hander set on an Irish isle. The script follows two lifelong friends on a remote Irish isle who face dark consequences after one of them decide to abruptly end their friendship. A cast for the film has not yet been announced. McDonagh will team with his “Three Billboards” production duo Searchlight Pictures and Film 4 on the project. Searchlight will distribute McDonagh’s latest worldwide.

McDonagh’s upcoming project will be his fourth feature following “In Bruges,” “Seven Psychopaths,” and “Three Billboards.” Film 4 has been behind all of McDonagh’s film projects. Both “In Bruges” and “Three Billboards” landed the director Oscar nominations for Best Original Screenplay, while “Three Billboards” was his first to compete for Best Picture. Searchlight released “Three Billboards” in November 2017 to $54 million in the U.S. and $160 million worldwide, a strong run for a drama that cost in the $12 million range to produce. McDonagh’s film debut was the short film “Six Shooter,” which won the Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/martin-mcdonagh-next-film-three-billboards-details-1202211878/

Jóhannsson's first and last directorial feature, of what appears to be an abstract tone poem of sorts. Hope it gets some kind of wide-release some day!

Candyman is another nostalgia film hoping to capture the spirit and improve on the original. It certainly appears scary.

Vertical Movies, Here We Come: First Up Is Timur Bekmambetov’s $10 Million War Drama

The digital-filmmaking pioneer thinks audiences are ready for the world's first vertically shot blockbuster.

In the early days of smartphone video, shooting something vertically amounted to sacrilege to many purists who believed only in landscape orientation. Snapchat and TikTok eroded that sentiment enough that the upcoming Quibi platform will let viewers watch mobile-only shows both vertically and horizontally. Now, pioneering filmmaker Timur Bekmambetov is taking it a step further: His upcoming $10 million film “V2. Escape From Hell” is a World War II drama shot with vertical framing and smartphone audiences in mind.

Deadline reports the movie will be the world’s first blockbuster shot in that orientation. Production starts next week on the Russian film, starring Pavel Priluchny as Mikhail Devyatayev, a captured Soviet pilot who leads an escape from a German concentration camp by hijacking an aircraft.

The fact-based film is produced by Bekmambetov’s Bazelevs and Voenfilm in partnership with Russia’s biggest mobile phone operator MTS, which will release the Russian version on its digital platform early next year.

A second English-language version will also be produced. It will will include different scenes and will open with the Luftwaffe bombing raids against London.

In an IndieWire profile of Bekmambetov in 2018, the Russian filmmaker discussed his dissatisfaction with current movies that use traditional production methods — everything, he said, feels derivative.

He’s produced several movies using Screenlife software, which allows filmmakers to create movies where the action takes place on a computer screen. Among them is “Unfriended: Dark Web,” the sequel to the 2014 found-footage horror film whose story unfolds through Skype conversations. The original was produced for $1 million, acquired by Universal, and went on to gross over $16 million. The similarly budgeted sequel grossed $16.4 million for Universal.

Bekmambetov also produced the vertical series “Dead of Night,” which was released on Snapchat in September. It followed a girl trying to escape a zombie apocalypse.

Quibi is banking that audiences are ready to consume Hollywood-produced content in vertical form. When the platform launches April 6, it will be available only on phones and tablets. Each series or movie is produced to natively display in either vertical or horizontal form. Viewers can switch seamlessly back and forth thanks to the company’s Turnstile technology. Some vertical views offer a re-cut or reframed version of what’s shown horizontally; other instances take a page out of Bekmambetov’s Screenlife playbook and offer a view of a character’s smartphone.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/timur-bekmambetov-vertical-movie-v2-escape-from-hell-1202211667/

Ugh, my head is already hurting imagining that.

23 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

0:10, there's Eilean Donan. I've been there.

And it was never the same.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Paul W.S. Anderson is one of the filmmakers that I most fucking hate in the world. I don't kno how this hack is still making movies, or how he married Milla.

There's too many directors named Anderson. Just cut a few!

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in Ridley Scott's The Last Duel:

affleckdamon.jpg

Has Ridley Scott lost his Sword & Sandal/historic/Middle Ages touch?

I thought it was just okay. It had some good ideas, but otherwise, it was pretty forgettable. Aronofsky's Noah came out on that same year, and I thought it was better.

Will this movie finally come out?

Mark Wahlberg Describes ‘Uncharted’ Script, Compares Film to ‘Indiana Jones’ & ‘Thomas Crown Affair’

After eight directors and many, many delays, the Uncharted movie starring Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg allegedly starts shooting in two weeks. With that mixture of buzz, controversy, and mystery hanging over the project, Collider’s own Steve Weintraub had to ask Wahlberg about Uncharted when they recently sat down to discuss the upcoming Netflix action flick, Spenser Confidential.

Describing Uncharted as an “origin story”, Wahlberg told us about his experience reading the script for the first time, comparing it to two of the best adventure and heist films of all time.

“I start filming in about two weeks time. It’s exciting because, without giving too much away, it’s more of an origin story. Meeting them, and Nathan becoming Nathan. Sully and him meeting, trying to not only get over on each other, but also starting to partner up and develop that relationship. It’ll be very cool. It’s the first time I’m in a movie that’s a movie. I felt like when I was reading it, I was reading Indiana Jones or Thomas Crown Affair. It’s got these great elements of these heist movies and adventure movies like I’ve never been a part of.”

Directed by Ruben Fleischer (Venom), Uncharted is based on the massively popular video game franchise of the same name. Holland stars as Nathan Drake, a street-thief turned treasure hunter, while Wahlberg is set to play his friend and mentor, Victor “Sully” Sullivan. It’s a bit of a cheeky role Wahlberg, as he was attached for years to Uncharted to play Drake himself but eventually aged out of the part as delays went on and the story turned into more of an origin story.

“I was attached for years and years to play Nathan Drake and now I’m playing Sully,” Wahlberg told us. “Even with The Fighter, there was a ticking clock there. There was that biological clock. We gotta’ get going quickly.”

https://collider.com/uncharted-movie-script-details-mark-wahlberg/

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SULLY 2: CAN WE GET SERIOUS, NOW?

I wrote captain Sully but I probably meant captain Phillips. With all these patriotic captains Hanks is playing, it's hard to keep track. 

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

There's some terrible Photoshop on this poster, making Hanks' face looking very rubbery, like a mocap character from the mid 2000s.

He kinda looks like John Wayne.