Upcoming Films

Quintus

Trailer for Disney's Jungle Cruise (score composed by JNH :lovethis:)

Maybe the exotic setting of the movie will make him write an action-adventure score like Waterworld or the island action scenes on King Kong? One could dream.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, Edmilson said:

Trailer for Disney's Jungle Cruise (score composed by JNH :lovethis:)

Maybe the exotic setting of the movie will make him write an action-adventure score like Waterworld or the island action scenes on King Kong? One could dream.

YouTube just put this in front of me, so it must know I'm looking for antidotes to "edgy" modern cinema. This looks cheesy as hell, and it'll hopefully do the trick.

I think I must be ready to go full old fogie or something, because this movie looks right up my street.

It can't be any worse than whatever they're cooking up for Indiana Jones.

Every time we sit down and watch a The Rock movie, we enjoy it.  His Jumanji movie was surprisingly entertaining

The Rock can make almost every movie entertaining, or at least watchable. Even that ludicrous movie about the skyscraper on China or something, was decent because of him (and the gorgeous cinematography).

I liked the first Jumanji movie he did (aside from the utterly generic Henry Jackman score), but I haven't watched the second one yet. 

Yea we haven't seen the second one yet either but multiple coworkers said it was basically just as good as the first

My kids loved his Jumanji and I wish I'd watched it with them.

The Rock sort of scratches the Arnie itch a little, minus the ultra violence. Star quality wise, I don't think he's anywhere near as bizarrely charismatic as Schwarzenegger, though. The Rock is Arnie-lite.

Like everything these days I guess.

Here's hoping he'll at least make a decent Black Adam movie for DC. My hype is below zero, but I hope The Rock will make it fun to watch.

The funny part is that he was cast as Black Adam, which is an arch-villain and nemesis to Shazam, instead of the hero. I guess it's the first time since Fast and Furious 5 he'll be an antagonist, and his first outright villain since The Mummy Returns.

Also, DC is so disorganized and messy that he was cast several years ago, and his movie will only come out in 2021.

Oh, just fuck this virus already!

Disney Pauses Production On Most Live-Action Movies, Including Ridley Scott’s Latest

THE LITTLE MERMAID, NIGHTMARE ALLEY and more affected by coronavirus concerns.

Just this morning, it was reported that Disney had halted production on Marvel's Shang-Chi due to rising concerns regarding the coronavirus, or COVID-19. On the heels of that report comes word from Variety that Disney has moved to pause production and pre-production on most of their upcoming live-action films, which includes Fox titles. Currently, Disney has shut down production on The Little Mermaid, Home Alone, Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley, Peter Pan & Wendy, the new Honey, I Shrunk the Kids movie, and Ridley Scott's The Last Duel—but given the baller way Scott handled those drastic last-minute changes on All the Money in the World, I have a feeling he'll be just fine. 

In an official statement, the studio said production will be shut down for "a short time," though it remains unclear if or when it might be reasonable for these projects to resume. Also uncertain is how this delay may impact release dates; The Last Duel, starring and co-written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon (with additional scripting from Nicole Holofcener) is set to hit theaters this Christmas. Here's the official statement from Disney:

While there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on our productions, after considering the current environment and the best interests of our cast and crew, we have made the decision to pause production on some of our live-action films for a short time. We will continue to assess the situation and restart as soon as feasible.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/03/13/disney-pauses-production-on-most-live-action-movies-including-ridley-scotts

• 3 weeks later...

data56975104-413345.jpg

- Benadetta, Paul Verhoeven's movie about a lesbian non is 99% ready.

- He also says he's working with screenwriter Ed Neumeier (Robocop, Starship Troopers) on something new. If it gets financed,  it could mean his comeback to Hollywood.

Paramount Sets New Release Dates for Top Gun: Maverick, A Quiet Place 2 & SpongeBob 

According to Deadline, Paramount Pictures has adjusted the release dates of Tom Cruise’s Top Gun: Maverick, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run, and A Quiet Place Part II. Top Gun: Maverick will now release on December 23 instead of June 24, pushing Chris Pratt’s The Tomorrow War to an unset release date. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run will now debut on July 31 instead of May 22, and A Quiet Place Part II will now debut on September 4.

As of now, Top Gun: Maverick is now set to open against Universal’s The Croods 2 and Warner Bros.’ Tom & Jerry; The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run will open against Lionsgate’s Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, and A Quiet Place Part II will open against Sony Pictures’ Monster Hunter.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1130034-paramount-release-dates-top-gun-maverick

I'm pretty sure Dune will be released at a later date. Warner Brothers will have to fit Tenet and Wonder Woman somewhere in the calendar

I only cared about them when they directed Community.

Just watched the trailer. Doesn’t look very good.

Disney Developing Live-Action Robin Hood Remake for Disney+

https://comicbook.com/movies/2020/04/10/disney-robin-hood-live-action-movie-musical-disney-plus/

This one is considered one of Disney's minor entries, but I always liked it, specially because I watched it countless times on VHS when I was 5, 6.

Robin Hood is a fun sort of story.

Odd that they'd have live action with animal main characters though.

And still being a musical...?

I suppose they do need to make it DISNEY's Robin Hood since, of course, there have been a gazillion ordinary live action versions already.

And good ones too...

‘Soul’: Disney Moves Pixar Theatrical Release In Wake Of Distribution Cuts & COVID-19 Pandemic

Disney is pushing their Pixar feature Soul from June 19 to Nov. 20, the Thanksgiving holiday period where their animated feature Raya and the Last Dragon was originally scheduled to open. Technically that pic was to go on Nov. 25, and now Raya and the Last Dragon moves to March 12, 2021.

That early March period is where Disney has capitalized on spring breaks, with the launches of Zootopia, Captain Marvel and recently Pixar’s Onward, which many believed had an opening weekend that was partially slowed by being lackluster fare, partially the early worries of COVID-19 among moviegoers.

Soul, directed by Pete Docter and Kemp Powers, follows a musician who has lost his passion for music and is transported out of his body and must find his way back with the help of an infant soul learning about herself. Nov. 20 is the pre-Thanksgiving period, exactly where Disney launched Frozen 2, last year. Right now that’s a crowed period with Warner Bros./Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong, Sony’s Kevin Hart comedy The Man From Toronto (which many think will move), and an untitled Amblin feature from Universal. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving will bring MGM’s No Time to Die, Warner Bros. tennis drama King Richard with Will Smith, and Sony’s Kristen Stewart comedy The Happiest Season (which has been shot and is in post).

Raya and the Last Dragon is directed by Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins. Pic’s logline: In a realm known as Lumandra, a re-imagined Earth inhabited by an ancient civilization, a warrior named Raya is determined to find the last dragon.

Exhibition bookers were abuzz last week concerned about Disney furloughs hitting distribution, and who would actually be putting Soul into movie theaters at the studio. Disney is betting that theaters aren’t back up and running in full until late July by their own watch. Know that for an event film to come back, many industry sources believe that the New York City metro area, which is a huge market for box office, is required to be back up and running.

This is what the summer theatrical release slate looks like now:

June 19

Fatale (LG)

The King of Staten Island (Uni)

July 3

No pics dated — open opportunity for a studio to fill

July 10

Untitled Purge (Uni)

July 17

Tenet (WB)

July 24

Mulan (Dis)

Come Play (Focus)

July 31

SpongeBob: Sponge on the Run (Par)

Barb and Star Go to Vista del Mar (LG)

August 7

Empty Man (20th/Dis)

Infinite (Par)

August 14

Wonder Woman 1984 (WB)

The One and Only Ivan (Dis)

Nobody (Uni)

August 21

Let Him Go (Foc)

Bill & Ted Face the Music (UAR)

Untitled Fred Hampton project (WB)

August 28

Hitman’s Bodyguard Part 2 (LG)

Spell (Par)

Sept 4 – Labor Day weekend

The Beatles: Get Back (Dis)

Monster Hunter (Sony)

A Quiet Place Part II (Par)

Unhinged (Solstice)

https://deadline.com/2020/04/soul-disney-moves-pixar-theatrical-release-in-wake-of-distribution-cuts-1202907103/

• 2 weeks later...

‘Mission: Impossible 7’ Opening In Pre-Thanksgiving Period 2021; ‘Tomorrow War’ Eyes Next Summer: Paramount Release Date Changes

Paramount has just made a few 2021 and 2022 release date changes with news that Mission: Impossible 7 will now open on Nov. 19, 2021 instead of July 23 next year. The Tom Cruise production was arguably the first Hollywood production to be halted out of safety due to the COVID-19 outbreak, with production completely stopped in Venice, Italy earlier this spring.

On its new date, M:I 7 will face off with an untitled Disney live-action movie and Warner Bros. Will Smith drama King Richard. 

The Melrose Ave. studio has set Mission: Impossible 8, also a Skydance co-production, to open Nov. 4, 2022, instead of Aug. 5, 2022. Currently on that Nov. 4 date is Shazam 2 from Warner Bros. and a Disney live-action untitled pic. Someone is going to have to move at some point down the road.

Paramount’s other Skydance co-production, the Chris Pratt sci-fi movie The Tomorrow War, which moved from this year’s Christmas to being undated for a bit is now scheduled for July 23, 2021. Tomorrow War is the only wide entry currently scheduled on its new date.

The studio’s distribution of animated pic Paw Patrol, based on the hit kids’ series, is dated for Aug 20, 2021, again, the only wide entry on the marquee for that period at this time.

Their reboot of Dungeons & Dragon, previously scheduled for Nov. 19, 2021 (wide), heads to May 27, 2022, Memorial Day weekend. There’s currently an untitled Disney live-action title on that spot now.

And the Mark Tonderai-directed horror thriller, Spell, which was originally scheduled for Aug. 28 of this year, is now unset for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Stallone Claims DEMOLITION MAN 2 Is In The Works

Let’s finally get to the bottom of this seashell business.

If you’re not following Sylvester Stallone’s Instagram account, you are missing out on an embarrassment of riches, in which Stallone offers a wealth of unguarded, cheesy old dad moments. Right now is a particularly good time as he’s taken to long quarantine videos in which he answers questions from fans (written long-hand on legal pads, natch).

A lot of this ends up being stuff we’ve all heard before, but every once in a while there is a nugget of new information. Yesterday had a big one. You can watch the whole thing below:

If you don’t want to watch the whole thing, at about the 5:40 mark, someone asks if there is going to be “another DEMO MAN”, to which he claims they are working on it right now with Warner Bros. and it’s “looking fantastic”.

Obviously, this is one of those things that could fall apart at any moment. I do not look forward to DEMOLITION MAN 2 with great confidence. But let’s say it does happen. I would be very very into that. For one thing, the first DEMOLITION MAN offered a rich world that is more applicable in 2020 than it was in 1993. Furthermore, that world was only barely explored in the first film, and I would love to see more of it via the eyes of an aged John Spartan. Since I assume Simon Phoenix will remain dead, there’s rich opportunity for a new villain to disrupt the status quo from within. Now I’m getting excited and will have a script to you by Wednesday.

Honestly, this is probably not going to happen. Stallone also cops to writing a book that probably won’t happen and working on a ROCKY sequel that probably won’t happen. But every once in a while, one of these things does actually happen, and what the heck, why not a DEMOLITION MAN sequel 30 years after the first one came out?

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/05/04/stallone-claims-demolition-man-2-is-in-the-works

On 4/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Won't TOP GUN: MAVERICK be in direct competition with DUNE?

People will see Top Gun. Dune will flop. Its a very bad scyfy novel and the film wont have people flocking to it. At leasr with Top Gun the film medium will be advanced cinematically through hereto unseen cinematography. 

On 4/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, Romão said:

I'm pretty sure Dune will be released at a later date. Warner Brothers will have to fit Tenet and Wonder Woman somewhere in the calendar

Tenet wont be moving from July

Or so it was mandated by cn

• 2 weeks later...

What an unlikely pair, I mean, trio.

Luca Guadagnino to Direct New ‘Scarface’ Film Scripted by the Coen Brothers

Guadagnino adds the gangster picture to his already full plate.

Director Luca Guadagnino has added yet another project to his packed slate of upcoming films and television. According to Variety, the Academy Award-nominated “Call Me By Your Name” and “I Am Love” filmmaker is now set to helm a retelling of “Scarface” for Universal Pictures. The script for this latest version comes from Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, working from earlier drafts by Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer (the “Miss Bala” remake), Jonathan Herman (“Straight Outta Compton”), and Paul Attanasio (“Quiz Show”).

The mythic crime story of Scarface has been told many a time in cinema, from the 1932 Howard Hawks original starring Paul Muni, to Brian De Palma’s lurid Miami-set take, from 1983, with Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer. Guadagnino’s version will reportedly be a reimagining of the original immigrant narrative established in both those films, and this time will be set in Los Angeles.

This is not Guadagnino’s first dip into remake territory, as he previously reimagined Dario Argento’s ballet school-set horror movie “Suspiria” in 2018, with Dakota Johnson taking on the role originated by Jessica Harper. “Scarface” is also not the busy Guadagnino’s only project in the mix at the moment, as he’s also in post-production on his HBO limited series “We Are Who We Are,” a coming-of-age story set in Italy and starring Alice Braga and Kid Cudi. He’s also developing a revamp of “Lord of the Flies” for Warner Bros., an adaptation of William Golding’s AP English staple.

He’s also continuing to dream up details for the “Call Me by Your Name” sequel “Find Me,” adapted from author André Aciman’s 2019 followup novel that checks in on Elio and Oliver, who parted ways at the end of the first film and book. The Oscar-nominated director recently said that he was set to come to America for a meeting with a potential screenwriter for the sequel just before Italy went on lockdown. “I was going to America to meet a writer I love very much, whose name I don’t want to mention, to talk about the second part,” Guadagnino told Gay.it. “Unfortunately, everything is canceled. Of course, it’s a great pleasure to work with Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer, Michael Stulhbarg, Esther Garrel, and the other actors. They will all be there in the new film.”

“Scarface” will be produced by Dylan Clark via Dylan Clark Productions, with Scott Stuber serving as executive producer alongside Marco Marabito. Brian Williams will also executive-produce for Dylan Clark Productions.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/luca-guadagnino-scarface-coen-brothers-1202231315/

I understand marketing movies such as Avengers and Star Wars for Fortnite players, but in Tenet's case, I dunno... For me, most Nolan movies have a target audience that skews a little older than that.

To be fair, the last John Wick movie also had a Fortnite event, and that movie is R rated.

Does Quint think it's spelled Fortnight for real, or does he know it's Fortnite but is misspelling on purpose... 🤔

YouTube put the Tenet trailer in front of me so I watched it. 

Looks boring and dull to me. I don't like the way Nolan's movies are photographed. 

His look has gone downhill ever since he parted with Wally Pfister as his DP. And Tenet looks like the most dull thing he's put on screen visually.