Upcoming Films

Quintus

On 4/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/cannes-2021-films-official-selection-lineup-predictions-1234958648/

After last year's cancellation, the Cannes 2021 lineup is starting to heat up, with Annette (Leos Carax) and The French Dispatch (Wes Anderson) confirmed, and Soggy Bottom (Paul Thomas Anderson), The Card Counter (Paul Schrader) and The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion) in talks to premiere, among others. Looking forward to the whole lot very much!

On 4/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, Jay said:

Looking forward to The Card Counter!

On 4/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Anything by Paul Schrader is worth investigating.

Heck, my favourite film ever was written by him :)

Focus Features has officially announced the release date The Card Counter: September 10, 2021

Paul Schrader's 'The Card Counter' Set To Resume Filming In July – Deadline

Robert Eggers' (The Lighthouse, The VVitch) Viking saga “The Northman” with Alexander Skarsgard, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicole Kidman, Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and Björk will be released on April 8, 2022. 

northman-set.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, Disco Stu said:

I’m very very interested to see the numbers for Spiral on Sunday.  Especially since a ton of Regals around the country are reopening tomorrow.

So the estimate is that Spiral made $8.725 million in America for its opening weekend.  That's 50% of the opening of Jigsaw (the last Saw movie) in 2017, which is pretty good by pandemic standards but I was definitely hoping to see it get over $10 million to show audience demand was bouncing back in a big way.  I think a lot of people are saying "Yes, I want to go to movies again... but not for that crap!" :lol:  I guess the Chris Rock/Sam Jackson factor wasn't enough to pique people's curiosity.

A Quiet Place Part II comes out next weekend and it will be a good test because (a) A Quiet Place was a huge hit and (b) it will be only in theaters.  It doesn't stream on Paramount+ until July because Paramount isn't following Warner Bros and Disney's practice of putting their movies on streaming simultaneous with theaters.

Theaters will eventually become a boutique experience. Accelerated greatly by the pandemic. Disney recently announced they are moving to a 45-day theatrical window, even after theaters are open. 

I doubt I’ll ever go to a theater again, unless it’s for a film I really want to see in that environment. 

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If there’s a movie I’m interested in I would always 100% of the time rather see it in a theater.

I agree with Disco Stu.

I can't wait to go to the theatres again. There's nothing like thr experience of seeing a film in the theatre for the first time. Seeing it at home just doesn't give the same feeling and for me the hype for a new film.

That is one of the things I learned last year.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Disney recently announced they are moving to a 45-day theatrical window, even after theaters are open. 

Yep

Shang-Chi & Free Guy to Play in Theaters Exclusively for 45 Days

For those following along at home, these are Disney's major 2021 movies and how they'd decided to roll them out

• Mar 5 - Raya and the Last Dragon = theaters & simultaneous $30 Disney+ "Premiere Access"
  • May 14 - The Woman in the Window = sold it to Netflix (Netflix exclusive)
  • May 28 - Cruella = theaters + simultaneous $30 Disney+ "Premiere Access"
  • June 18 - Luca = Disney+ exclusive
  • Jul 9 - Black Widow = theaters + simultaneous $30 Disney+ "Premiere Access"
  • Jul 30 - Jungle Cruise = theaters + simultaneous $30 Disney+ "Premiere Access"
  • Aug 13 - Free Guy = in theaters exclusively for 45 days
  • Sep 3 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings = in theaters exclusively for 45 days
  • Oct 15 - The Last Duel =  in theaters exclusively for 45 days
  • Nov 5 - Eternals = in theaters exclusively for 45 days
  • Nov 24 - Encanto = in theaters exclusively for 45 days
  • Dec 10 - West Side Story = in theaters exclusively for 45 days
  • Dec 22 - The King's Man = in theaters exclusively for 45 days

I might actually say that the theater is the biggest incentive to get me to watch new movies I am only marginally interested in. If there's a movie I am hyped for, I would want to go out for sure but I'd still watch it by hook or by crook. But having a night out and just picking something to go see, that is still fun for me. Or if there is some art house thing that looks interesting and is only playing at a multiplex for a week, that makes me feel like "Well this is my shot to see it while it's new!" and I enjoy planning a day around that. 

Once it's out on home media, it just becomes another movie out of a million to pop on and I usually go for something older, or rewatch something I already know I like. Either that or I'd rather do a TV show or miniseries. I only watched like a dozen 2020 movies compared to previous years when it's usually closer to 50-60. Like Wonder Woman 2, I still haven't bothered with that but in a normal year I would have gone with somebody, I'm sure.

I did the math and most Disney blockbusters from the last few years earned 90% to 96% of their domestic box office by day 45. So it won't hurt them much to give up of a few millions in order to boost the hype for their streaming service.

Not really. The previous G.I. Joe movies were horrendous, so I have no expectations for this one. Probably I'll watch it when it appears on Netflix or something.

Paramount movies are going to pop up on Paramount+ 45 days after release for the foreseeable future so if you have that service you'll be able to watch the movie for no additional cost.  I hated watched the first two so I doubt I'll be making it to theaters myself but will probably watch it once it hits streaming.

Its a great alien invasion movie with a group of British youths lead by Boyega as the heroes.  Great movie with good action and humor.  Also features current Doctor Who Jodie Whittaker in an early role  as one of the leads.  Definitely a great movie and I'm glad Cornish is revisiting the film.

It’s good, well worth a watch.

I haven’t seen it since it came out, I guess it’ll be a different viewing experience after a couple years having Boyega fixed in mind as a Star Wars prop.

Not that that’ll hurt it in any way, Boyega’s great.

I actually saw the movie fairly recently, and I liked it a lot! Especially with it giving Boyega and Whittaker more to work with in terms of the material it provides.

The score wasn't half bad either, though that is definitely more owed to Basement Jaxx than Steven Price.

Cinemas here in NI reopen next Monday. Am less than enthused with the new releases on offer, but the Odeon has a Monday-evening-only screening of The Terminator so I've booked for that. 

I saw a quote from Cavill on this where he talks about 'the films in all their 80s Queen-slathered glory'. 

Erm ... only the first one was an 80s flick, Henry old chap. And there are many words that could be used to describe the sequels, but 'glory' ain't one of them. 

Never mind rebooting Highlander, go get yourself cast as the new Bond instead! 

Don't tell me you have respect for Highlander 2: The Quickening too, Richard!

highlanderii4.jpg

OTOH, if Prometheus is a good movie, then anything goes ....

53 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Don't tell me you have respect for Highlander 2: The Quickening too, Richard!

Ah, well. A bad movie is a bad movie, isn't it? The question is: what is "a bad movie"?

As @Sweeping Strings pointed out, Cavill got his facts wrong, and for someone who works in the industry, then, imo, that shows disrespect.

56 minutes ago, AC1 said:

OTOH, if Prometheus is a good movie, then anything goes ....

Wrong thread! :lol:

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ah, well. A bad movie is a bad movie, isn't it? The question is: what is "a bad movie"?

To me it's when you watch a movie and you feel vicarious shame for the all choices they've made. 

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Someone who doesn't know the history of the Highlander franchise, as Cavill clearly does not, shouldn't be involved in any kind of reboot. He has no respect, for the films.

It's not like he's the writer or director of the film. An actor can still fit the role well if the production around him can give him all that is necessary. There's probably quite a few people in various adaptations that haven't bothered with their source material, so it matters more if the movie itself actually has any worth.

Also, films? I thought there could only be one. ;)

Yeah. I think actors being knowledgeable about the history of the franchise they’re in is more the exception than the rule. And by and large I don’t think it matters one bit.

Granted, in the case of Cavill, being he is a fan of The Witcher and was happy about being Superman (before allegedly being disatisfied with the direction Snyder took), I can imagine being a bit irked if his dedication doesn't quite extend to other roles of his (though in the case of Highlander, the most the average person might remember of the franchise is the first film, and maybe just how awful the second one is).

Why do you say that?  I don't expect that you've played the original games?

There's no indication that he's going to direct it, only that his production company has the writes a someone is writing a screenplay