Upcoming Films

Quintus

A film based on a video game?

A prequel to a cult film (and a horrible remake)?

What have we done to deserve this?

I'm not trying to criticize the product, I'm merely questioning people's motives (other than moribund imagination and pure avarice, of course).

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A film based on a video game?

A prequel to a cult film (and a horrible remake)?

What have we done to deserve this?

I'm not trying to criticize the product, I'm merely questioning people's motives (other than moribund imagination and pure avarice, of course).

Broadway and other theatrical centers have been restaging and updating/adapting previous works for centuries. The only difference is that film is an everlasting performance rather than a one-time show done for an audience. I really would rather see a video game movie or something different done with a pre-existing property than another retread of Shakespeare, Bronte, etc.

Apart from not going anywhere near Soho (those backstreet shots could be from any place in the West End), and DARLING opening before THUNDERBALL (so there's no way it could be a coming attraction), it doesn't look too bad. Matt Smith looks rather suave. Hey, you did ask :)

Ps, that's not the London Pavilion cinema, but it could be a depiction of the Rialto, in Coventry St.

Going to see A Quiet Place 2. First film I will  see since Freaky?. Either way ready for that movie going experience. I am ready for some Coke Zero, Extra Butter popcorn, and nachos with jalapeno slices. Lots of napkins

How was Freaky?  I want to see that one as soon as it shows up free somewhere

Freaky was an enjoyable twist of the film series. Don't expect a masterpiece but its a fun film.

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Going to see A Quiet Place 2. First film I will  see since Freaky?. Either way ready for that movie going experience. I am ready for some Coke Zero, Extra Butter popcorn, and nachos with jalapeno slices. Lots of napkins

Wonder if QPII will try to make the sequel more plausible and consistent than.the original.

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Wonder if QPII will try to make the sequel more plausible and consistent than.the original.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Stylish.

Gives off some Refn vibes. It had my interest until it turned into some horror ghost thing at the end.

I’d much prefer a more subtle approach like Black Swan. 

On 5/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, Jay said:

This is an odd choice out of all the video games out there to adapt. The games, while brilliant, don’t really have much in the way of a direct narrative plot. 

17 hours ago, Jay said:

How was Freaky?  I want to see that one as soon as it shows up free somewhere

I thought that Palm Springs was better but Freaky was funnier, in a very broad, lightweight sort of way.

It's not that there's a concrete connection between them; just some striking similarities. They're both broad, zany comedies having plots based around supernatural phenomena, and they're both modern spins on well established films/tropes. In my mind, at least, they sit alongside one another among the recent films that I've seen.

Freaky is a broad, zany comedy?

None of the reviews I heard described it like that

Also, I've seen Palm Springs and would not describe it as a "broad, zany comedy" personally

Huh.  I don't think of Palm Springs as having a cartoony tone at all.

Interesting the two of us could have such different perspectives on the same movie!

Indeed! With Palm Springs I guess it's primarily the scenes involving explicit fantasy elements that give it the tone that I would call "broad" or "cartoonish", like outrageous violent incidents that are really the equivalent of pratfalls in the film's idiom. Behind this there's probably a lot of comedy of a more subtle nature, but the big gestures have coloured my overall impression of the film.

For "non-broad" comedy I'm thinking of the likes of Noah Baumbach...

Ridley Scott always wanted to make this movie. As far as I know, he has nothing to do with this one. 

PS: Jay beat me to it!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Freaky is a broad, zany comedy?

None of the reviews I heard described it like that

Also, I've seen Palm Springs and would not describe it as a "broad, zany comedy" personally

It is based on Freaky Friday.  It has some seriously funny moments along with a rather dark ending. Think Jack  Black in Jumanji only darker.

I've heard many good things about Vince Vaughn's (and Kathryn Newton's) performance in it

On 10/5/2019 at 4:09 AM, Quintus said:

Seeing as I'm practically the only one here who loves The Evil Dead and has watched the TV spin off on top, I'm all for this, especially if Raimi in helming:

https://geektyrant.com/news/sam-raimi-confirms-a-new-evil-dead-movie-is-being-developed

It's called "Evil Dead Rise" and will be exclusive to HBO Max

The film, Evil Dead Rise, will be directed and written by Irish filmmaker Lee Cronin and star Alyssa Sutherland and Lily Sullivan.

The original 1981 pic’s filmmaking team is back for Evil Dead Rise: Sam Raimi, who directed, wrote and executive produced Evil Dead, will serve as EP here; Robert Tapert, who served as EP and producer on the first, will produce; and Bruce Campbell, who starred as Ashley J. Williams and executive produced the original will EP on the second go-round. He will not star in the next chapter here.

Moving the action out of the woods and into the city, Evil Dead Rise tells a twisted tale of two estranged sisters — played by Sutherland (TV’s The Mist and Vikings) and Sullivan (Picnic at Hanging Rock, Jungle) — whose reunion is cut short by the rise of flesh-possessing demons, thrusting them into a primal battle for survival as they face the most nightmarish version of family imaginable

Quint really thought he was the only one who loves Evil Dead?  Weird.  I'm a huge fan of the trilogy, but I can't say I watched the remake or series, no.  I gotta admit, Bruce Campbell not being in this new movie is a big disappointment.  I have been meaning to go back and watch the TV show, the issue is my wife doesn't like horror (not even comedy horror) so it's hard to find time.

I haven't liked any Shyamalan film since Unbreakable.

After completely skipping Lady In The Water, The Last Airbender, and After Earth, I gave The Visit a try after all the hype, and thought it was terrible.  Then we watched Split and again I thought it was terrible and didn't deserve it's hype, then Glass was really bad - though I think that's a disappointment to pretty much everyone.

Glass was atrocious. One of the worst films of 2019. 

I really don't buy that "Shyamalan Reinassance" that his fans are trying to promote just because The Visit and Split weren't as horrible as Last Airbender, After Earth and The Happening. 

Split's logic was dumb, but was a fun watch as a genre flick. It at least managed to showcase Shyamalan's knack for staging.

Glass' stupidity on the other hand, was too much to overlook.

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone like THE VILLAGE?

Certainly not (for reasons most of you don't seem to understand) but I had a ball with The Visit, his best movie since Unbreakable. Does that count for something?

I actually prefered Glass to Split mostly because of Samuel Jackson I think but the two weren't really good.

The last good Shyamalan for me is The Happening, it's not his greatest movie but it was quite well made and Mark Wahlberg was terrific