Upcoming Films

Quintus

I always like Marky so it probably helped otherwise I find The Happening had a nice atmosphere a bit like Perfect Sense...

(spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

...with an exaggeration of despair leading to the doom of mankind without any attempt of facing it properly

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Don't expect it to be a deadly serious Shyamalan movie, it's meant to be campy.

I’d argue that The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are the only “deadly serious” Shyamalan films.

He has a distinct sense of humor that kind of sits under the overarching narratives of his films. I can definitely sense the schlock factor in Old.

Still doesn’t look particularly great. 

On 5/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone like THE VILLAGE?

Yes.

I think it's a massively misunderstood film. Shame it was marketed as a straight-out horror. It's a romance story.

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So, Alex...why do you not like THE VILLAGE?

I explained it recently during A Handmaid's Tale discussion. I think if you're going to set up an incredible situation you somehow have to make it credible, believable, or at least tell it in such a way so that I'm willing to go along for the ride. That's often the problem with me and Shyamalan. I found it totally implausible that all the parents of the village were happy to terrify their children to death, with not a single parent having moral doubts. Even if Shyamalan can show me a news clipping that proves it's all based in fact, then he, as the storyteller, still has to make me believe in it. But he's very lazy in that regard, and expects everyone to go along with him, no questions asked.

From the recent A Handmaid's Tale discussion:

That's another thing, literally every guy in Gilead is perfect okay with raping women while their wives are watching. Not only could that have been handled with more finesse or at least called into question by some of the characters, but imagine how that would attract the sexual nutjobs from all over the world, making them all wanting to move to Gilead. This actually reminded me of Shyamalan's The Village where every single parent was absolutely delighted to terrorize their own children to death. Really, if you are parent, that's the most absurd thing ever. It makes all these characters completely unreal. A storyteller's job is to make the unbelievable believable. It's why Spielberg didn't want the Nazis in Schindler's List to throw babies out of the window during the raids, not because it isn't true, but because it would be too much for the audience to swallow. 

This was also a problem for me with Midsommar where the viewer is asked to blindly accept an impossible situation without any effort from the storyteller to make it believable.

Thoroughly enjoyed a Quiet Place II. Its been 9 months since I went to the movies. Last year I went 6 months between films and saw Tenet, a completely dreadful film but AQPII was a great sequel. 

I will speculate that the creatures are an advanced vanguard sent by ?, the real threat.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:57 AM, May the Force be with You said:

I actually prefered Glass to Split mostly because of Samuel Jackson I think but the two weren't really good.

The last good Shyamalan for me is The Happening, it's not his greatest movie but it was quite well made and Mark Wahlberg was terrific

And by terrific you mean terrible. Everything about this film is bad. 

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

And by terrific you mean terrible.

Nope. But I see why some might not like it. I'm personaly a big fan of Wahlberg and I've never find him bad, don't really know why but he always does the trick

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Everything about this film is bad. 

I've yet never seen a movie where everything is bad. Call me optimistic but I think there's always some good point you can find out of it.

No idea!

PS: I must have had two different threads open on my computer. Nobody is taking about the bodyguard here.

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen that movie.  Is it good?

I've seen it last year and find it quite boring. Great score, some nice ideas but overall it's just not really my cup of tea

57 minutes ago, AC1 said:

hqdefault.jpg

There can be only one bodyguard.

True and that's him:

La montre Omega Speedmaster de Michael Bryce (Ryan Reynolds) dans Hitman &  Bodyguard | Spotern

9 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've yet never seen a movie where everything is bad. Call me optimistic but I think there's always some good point you can find out of it.

Watch some Uwe Bol films and then get back to us.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Watch some Uwe Bol films and then get back to us.

After a quick google search I've decided to stick with my thought and not to watch any of his films that will change my statement ;)

I saw In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale in theaters, was hanging out with my friend and his girlfriend and we decided to go to a movie and he picked it because of Jason Statham. I knew absolutely nothing about it but I had heard of Uwe Boll so when his name came up in the opening credits I thought "Uh oh...well this will be interesting and now I'll get to say I've seen one."

It was not so bad it's fun, it was just bad. I remember nothing of the story, only that the filmmaking was immediately incomprehensible to me on a purely technical level and boring as fuck. It didn't suck the way a bad Bay or Shyamalan movie sucks, this was different. Not even any personality like Tommy Wiseau to laugh at. We stopped paying any attention to it, noticed the other few people in the theater also were talking amongst themselves. Nobody cared.

My friend apologized and tried to hand me $10 as we walked out. Can't remember if I took it. It remained the worst movie I ever saw until I saw this piece of absolute garbage at a local film festival

Nichols is a great director.  Interested to see what he does with a movie in this "universe".  Take Shelter is probably as good as example of what he'd do, so I'm excited if its similar in tone to that.  Plus, we might get a Michael Shannon performance so that's always a good thing.

Yeah, there's so many different aspects you can approach for the movie: another family in a different part of the country/world and their response to the invasion, the military/science response, humanities evolution following the attacks that its ripe for more movies.  I really liked the second film, but it did really feel just like more of the first in a slightly different environment. Hopefully Nichols will not just make the same film over again and will do something unique and interesting.

As Edmilson said, Paramount is really lacking for franchises at this point and these movies are cheap to make and have a huge upside.  They seem unwilling to take more risks on Star Trek films right now, so this is their best bet at making bank, especially as they've had a lot of bombs and underperforming movies in recent years. 

On 5/16/2021 at 12:40 PM, Disco Stu said:

A Quiet Place Part II comes out next weekend and it will be a good test because (a) A Quiet Place was a huge hit and (b) it will be only in theaters.  It doesn't stream on Paramount+ until July because Paramount isn't following Warner Bros and Disney's practice of putting their movies on streaming simultaneous with theaters.

This weekend, A Quiet Place Part II will become the first movie to make $100 million at the American box office since Sonic the Hedgehog did in February 2020!

On 6/11/2021 at 1:37 PM, Jay said:

I wonder if Disney wishes they released Black Widow in May instead of waiting till July

Waiting till July was a good decision. 

It will be huge, not huge preCovid but the numbers will be enormous.