Upcoming Films

Quintus

10 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This looks amazing!!!

Adam Driver... (Y)

Jodie Comer... (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)+

Not sure what I think about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in a 14th century capacity. And they're the primary writers on the gig. Crazy. I'll judge later.

Holding out hope. Ridley Scott is sadly the epitome of 'hit-and-miss' in recent years. Especially when it comes to 'historical epics'. GLADIATOR was awesome in spite of its many many flaws, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN was great in the Director's Cut version, ROBIN HOOD was fucking awful, and EXODUS had its moments but was just a bit so-so.

Score-wise, I'm quite happy that Harry Gregson-Williams is back. I expect something more KINGDOM OF HEAVEN flavoured (even though 200+ years separate the events of each film). Nevertheless I love that score.

Will see this in the cinema though, most definitely.

3 hours ago, LSH said:

Not sure what I think about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in a 14th century capacity.

Me neither. It was odd seeing these two in that setting. OTOH, for Adam Driver, it's like a fish in water.  

Sigh:

ArmyofThieves.jpg

The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Jan.'23. 

It was a chilling tale within a tale. There is ample room to flesh out the story. The actor playing the count has always been behind makeup. Can he portray a man and a monster?

Both Old and Green knight are getting positive feedback

I didn't like this character in the first film and this prequel is about him! Cool poster, though.

E7BDMCvXIAAjHGd?format=jpg&name=small

To be fair, I did not like any character in Army Of The Dead.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:57 AM, AC1 said:

UJP_Instagram_Tsr1Sheet11_1080x1350pxH_1

Very Meta title. 

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

And already people have moved on from him. How disloyal!

I don’t recall anyone on this board being an outspoken fan of his directorial efforts. I’ve always known him for his skits from MadTV and Keegan & Peele. 

So somehow, I managed to miss this whole Green Knight thing until this week, and now all I hear is people raving about it.  Given that there have been exactly two Arthurian themed films that IMO didn't suck (cinema seems to struggle with this story), I'm sceptical about this, but I admit the trailer has some interesting elements to it. And I'd like to see a big genre film that isn't superhero movie or otherwise part of an existing franchise succeed (assuming its good).

I hope we get some JWFan reviews up for this soon, as obviously they're the only ones I trust.

The Green Knight is now one of the 2021 films that I'm most eager to see, in view of the response that it's had so far. Earlier in the year I made a list of upcoming films to keep an eye out for and it was around twentieth on the list, but after the descriptions that I've read it's right up at the top alongside the Paul Thomas Anderson film and the second part of The Souvenir...

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What are they?

Well the first is of course Excalibur.  I love the first half, I love Nicol Williamson's unorthodox portrayal of Merlin, I love Helen Mirren as an over the top sexy Morgana, and I love Patrick Stewart's over-acting and screaming his lines like he's still on stage. Gabriel Byrne also does a fantastic Uther, and he's everything a medieval warlord should be. I love the battle scenes, and I love the whole "looking at a legend through the mists of time" surrealness to it. And I love the use of Wagner and Orff, even if their music manages to simultaneously be both overused and wasted. 

That said, of course the film is deeply flawed and uneven, especially in the second half. Once Arthur becomes King and the Grail quest begins, it becomes sort of a murky mess.  None of the classically trained actors playing the three principals (Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot) are particularly effective and have much screen presence. And even as a kid watching it for the first time at home, I thought the anachronistic armour looked like shiny metal costumes. I get why Boorman went that direction, but even given the film's weird surrealness, it's not very convincing.  Still, there's a reason the film has endured the way it has, and Excalibur has proven to be surprisingly influential.

The other is King Arthur, with Clive Owen as an unconventional Arthur. I know this film isn't exactly beloved, and I get it, but it's one of those films (like Baz Luhrman's earnest Australia) that no one seems to love but me.

And with the exception of the brilliant Monty Python film and perhaps the animated Sword in the Stone, IMO every other serious Arthur movie I can think of has sucked (including a very wasted Sean Connery in a movie whose title I can't recall at the moment), and my faith in this story as a cinema is such that I didn't even bother with the Guy Ritchie flick.  I just think it's one of those subjects, like the American revolution, that for whatever reason filmmakers have struggled with.

On 7/18/2021 at 1:25 PM, KK said:

I too, am cautious of how much Wes I can handle in one sitting.

Haha...that's pretty much my experience with his films. They begin intriguingly, but it's usually less than half an hour before I start wondering how long there is to go.

13 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

...every other serious Arthur movie I can think of has sucked...

Lancelot du lac is the greatest.

37 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Well the first is of course Excalibur.  I love the first half, I love Nicol Williamson's unorthodox portrayal of Merlin, I love Helen Mirren as an over the top sexy Morgana, and I love Patrick Stewart's over-acting and screaming his lines like he's still on stage. Gabriel Byrne also does a fantastic Uther, and he's everything a medieval warlord should be. I love the battle scenes, and I love the whole "looking at a legend through the mists of time" surrealness to it. And I love the use of Wagner and Orff, even if their music manages to simultaneously be both overused and wasted. 

That said, of course the film is deeply flawed and uneven, especially in the second half. Once Arthur becomes King and the Grail quest begins, it becomes sort of a murky mess.  None of the classically trained actors playing the three principals (Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot) are particularly effective and have much screen presence. And even as a kid watching it for the first time at home, I thought the anachronistic armour looked like shiny metal costumes. I get why Boorman went that direction, but even given the film's weird surrealness, it's not very convincing.  Still, there's a reason the film has endured the way it has, and Excalibur has proven to be surprisingly influential.

The other is King Arthur, with Clive Owen as an unconventional Arthur. I know this film isn't exactly beloved, and I get it, but it's one of those films (like Baz Luhrman's earnest Australia) that no one seems to love but me.

And with the exception of the brilliant Monty Python film and perhaps the animated Sword in the Stone, IMO every other serious Arthur movie I can think of has sucked (including a very wasted Sean Connery in a movie whose title I can't recall at the moment), and my faith in this story as a cinema is such that I didn't even bother with the Guy Ritchie flick.  I just think it's one of those subjects, like the American revolution, that for whatever reason filmmakers have struggled with.

I've never seen Excalibur (something I intend to fix), but I really like the 2004 King Arthur movie. It's not a masterpiece but is still a fun epic with a great Hans Zimmer score. 

I guess that makes the two of us the only people who like that movie :D 

18 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I hope we get some JWFan reviews up for this soon, as obviously they're the only ones I trust.

I’m very much looking forward to this one, and I plan to see it at the cinema early next week! I’ll try to remember to follow up on this. :lol:

Lowery was the director behind The Old Man and the Gun, one of my favourites in recent memory, and the pleasantly sincere Pete’s Dragon, which is probably the only Disney remake worth your time. I wasn’t as taken with A Ghost Story and I’ve not seen Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, but I remain very interested in what he does next. From what I’ve read, The Green Knight should be right up my alley.

4 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

The Green Knight is now one of the 2021 films that I'm most eager to see, in view of the response that it's had so far. Earlier in the year I made a list of upcoming films to keep an eye out for and it was around twentieth on the list, but after the descriptions that I've read it's right up at the top alongside the Paul Thomas Anderson film and the second part of The Souvenir...

Agreed! I also made a list at the beginning of the year, and my level of anticipation is constantly changing. In addition to the ones you mentioned, my personal shortlist includes Dune, French Dispatch, After Yang, Annette, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Memoria, Bergman Island, and Cry Macho, among others. Also been reading good things about The Worst Person in the World and A Hero out of Cannes. :up:

30 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

...my personal shortlist includes...

I hadn't heard of Cry Macho before, but the others you cited were all on my list (now somewhat out of date as several of these films have already been released). No actual spoilers here!

Spoiler

Soggy Bottom  (Paul Thomas Anderson)

The Souvenir Part II  (Joanna Hogg)

Petite maman  (Céline Sciamma)

Shulan River  (Hou Hsiao-hsien)

Quo Vadis, Aida?  (Jasmila Žbanić)

The Northman  (Robert Eggers)

The Brutalist  (Brady Corbet)

Red Rocket  (Sean Baker)

The Hole  (Michelangelo Frammartino)

After Yang  (Kogonada)

Malmkrog  (Cristi Puiu)

Bergman Island  (Mia Hansen-Løve)

The Whale  (Darren Aronofsky)

The Card Counter  (Paul Schrader)

Memoria  (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

The Tragedy of Macbeth  (Joel Coen)

After Love  (Aleem Khan)

Censor  (Prano Bailey-Bond)

Dune  (Denis Villeneuve)

The Worst Person in the World  (Joachim Trier)

Drive My Car  (Ryusuke Hamaguchi)

The Green Knight  (David Lowery)

Last Night in Soho  (Edgar Wright)

The Hand of God  (Paolo Sorrentino)

The French Dispatch  (Wes Anderson)

Mass  (Fran Kranz)

Titane  (Julia Ducournau)

The Power of the Dog  (Jane Campion)

A Hero  (Asghar Farhadi)

Nightmare Alley  (Guillermo del Toro)

Fire  (Claire Denis)

Triangle of Sadness  (Ruben Östlund)

Earwig  (Lucile Hadžihalilović)

Blonde  (Andrew Dominik)

The Many Saints of Newark  (Alan Taylor)

In the Earth  (Ben Wheatley)

Decision to Leave  (Park Chan-wook)

Paris, 13th District  (Jacques Audiard)

Limbo  (Ben Sharrock)

Canterbury Glass  (David O. Russell)

Annette  (Leos Carax)

Vortex  (Gaspar Noé)

Night of the Kings  (Philippe Lacôte)

Spencer  (Pablo Larrain)

Baby, Box, Broker  (Hirokazu Koreeda)

Test Pattern  (Shatara Michelle Ford)

Benediction  (Terence Davies)

The Inheritance  (Ephraim Asili)

Finch  (Miguel Sapochnik)

Reminiscence  (Lisa Joy)

Don't Worry Darling  (Olivia Wilde)

CODA  (Sian Heder)

The Lost Daughter  (Maggie Gyllenhaal)

Domains  (Natsuka Kusano)

Benedetta  (Paul Verhoeven)

Everything Went Fine  (François Ozon)

Undergods  (Chino Moya)

The Perfumed Hill  (Abderrahmane Sissako)

A Quiet Place Part II  (John Krasinski)

Gagarine  (Fanny Liatard and Jérémy Trouilh)

Nine Days  (Edson Oda)

ear for eye  (debbie tucker green)

Blue Bayou  (Justin Chon)

Red, White and Water  (Lila Neugebauer)

The Harder They Fall  (Samuel Jeymes)

44 minutes ago, KK said:

Watching it tonight!

Lucky so-and-so. It has just been delayed where I live.

The first episode carried me through the entire series but the last episode was so bad that I don't think I going to watch S2. 

I still have two episodes to go, got pretty engaging after a lackluster middle, but yeah I've heard the ending is really bad. I'm intrigued to see what it is :lol:

On 7/30/2021 at 8:12 AM, AC1 said:

This is going to be a good Ridley Scott movie. 

house-of-gucci-posters-tout.jpg

Haha, I really like the look of this! Interested in hearing what Harry Gregson-Williams will cook up too... since this has Daniel Pemberton written all over it. 

He's definitely not retiring from working altogether, but yeah must be understandably feeling burnt out as a producer/director like plenty do hitting their 60s. They're both such introverted personalities but Ethan always seemed even more so. Hopefully he continues writing with Joel even if he may be sick of going through the bullshit of moviemaking. Obviously Macbeth is a special case so we'll just have to see.