Upcoming Films

Quintus

Alexandre Desplat no longer is the composer of the new Guillermo Del Toro movie Nightmare Alley. He will be replaced by Nathan Johnson. 

F80Uryt.jpeg

Something tells me it's a Film Noir ...

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

Alexandre Desplat no longer is the composer of the new Guillermo Del Toro movie Nightmare Alley. He will be replaced by Nathan Johnson. 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20099-upcoming-scoring-assignments/&do=findComment&comment=1838073

I group Scream in with Jaws, Halloween, and The Mummy '99 (there are more obviously): essentially perfect movies that had severe drops in quality going into sequels and never figured out how to make one that even approached the original.

Scream 2 is a completely worthy sequel to the original!  In some ways, it's better than the first one

Scream 3 was lame though, indeed, and I never saw 4

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Scream 2 is a completely worthy sequel to the original!  In some ways, it's better than the first one

Scream 3 was lame though, indeed, and I never saw 4

Not in any universe.  Scream 2 was terrible, reminded me of how awful Friday the 13th part 2 and Nightmare 2 were. Scream 3 was a slight improvement 4 was much better but all three sequels were smoke 10 minutes after leaving the theatre

46 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm really looking forward to this. I love the story and I love the cast.

Nice, I've been eagerly awaiting this for a while. Looking forward to Newman's score too.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think I'll stick with THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS.

Solid film. But it was made 65 years ago. It's certainly a story that can be re-told.

Although I have no idea why they've never made a movie about the magicians and special effects people who faked out the Germans with fake armies and such.

9 minutes ago, LSH said:

Yes, please don’t post this absolute bollocks again.

Deny all you want its existence is reality.

Sorry Jay but I don't read threads about John Denby 

New horror movie from the director of Sinister and Doctor Strange:

Seems ok, although it was clearly inspired by 2017's It and Stranger Things. That said, Sinister is one of my favorite horror movies from the last decade so I expect good things from this one.

First track released from Jonny Greenwood's upcoming Spencer score, which along with Kristen Stewart's performance was the focus of a lot of festival buzz surrounding this film. I like it!

Ridley Scott's The Last Duel is flopping big time. Global box-office for the first week is only $10 million. Like Joe, people just prefer to watch the umpteenth Halloween movie. Does 'cinema' actually deserve to live on?

E6wGWvrX0AA3CFW.jpg

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Ridley Scott's The Last Duel is flopping big time. Global box-office for the first week is only $10 million. Like Joe, people just prefer to watch the umpteenth Halloween movie. Does 'cinema' actually deserve to live on?

The biggest problem with this one was its release date. It's an adult movie, and this demographic already has another options, namely Bond and Halloween. Had they released it in another day it might have been a minor hit.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The biggest problem with this one was its release date. It's an adult movie, and this demographic already has another options, namely Bond and Halloween. Had they released it in another day it might have been a minor hit.

Aren't horror movies something more for teens? It's the reason why so many of them are feature teens.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Aren't horror movies more for teens?

Depends of the movie. In Halloween's case, I think the audience that it's targeting is the older people who were teens when the previous Halloween movies came out.

And, according to Box Office Pro, over the half of the people who watched Halloween Kills in theaters last weekend was over the age of 25:

Age-wise, 56% of the audience was over the age of 25 while 27% was over the age of 35, meaning the film skewed significantly older than Venom: Let There Be Carnage (whose own debut audience was 45% over age 25).

https://www.boxofficepro.com/box-office-halloween-kills-no-time-to-die/

On 19/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, Edmilson said:

Depends of the movie. In Halloween's case, I think the audience that it's targeting is the older people who were teens when the previous Halloween movies came out.

And, according to Box Office Pro, over the half of the people who watched Halloween Kills in theaters last weekend was over the age of 25:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/box-office-halloween-kills-no-time-to-die/

That throws Alex ridiculous comments aside. Horror movies are for everyone. But I think anyone who gets out and about in the real world realizes that.

30 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

That throws Alex ridiculous comments aside. Horror movies are for everyone. 

Everyone who, like you, stopped developing at the age of 14. :P

Of course, there are also horror movies for a more adult audience, but you don't like those. 

46 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Everyone who, like you, stopped developing at the age of 14. :P

Of course, there are also horror movies for a more adult audience, but you don't like those. 

Thats because they are the worst things a horror film can be. Boring and not frightening. 

You don't know horror. 

I've heard very conflicting reviews about Last Duel. Some people I've heard thought it was amazing. Others thought it was the worst piece of crap they ever saw. (Clearly they never saw Kids.)

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I've heard very conflicting reviews about Last Duel. Some people I've heard thought it was amazing. Others thought it was the worst piece of crap they ever saw. 

Some say The Last Duel features the best sword fights ever, not in a Marvel way, but in a realistic way. I want to compare it to The Duellists which is known for the exact same reason. Other than that, while The Duellists is a truly amazing looking film (from a time when Ridley Scott was still under the spell of Stanley Kubrick), I have yet to see a beautiful frame from The Last Duel

I haven't seen it myself. But I hear that thway the script works is interesting. I read in an interview that the movie is basicly 3 parts. One from Matt Damon's characters perspective, one from Adam Driver's characters perspective and the last one from Jodie Comer's characters perspective.

I'm quite interested to see it. But this is one of the films I might wait for to go on streaming

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The teaser for the Uncharted movie has leaked, watch it before Sony take it down:

The official upload?:

That trailer made me grin ALL the grins. I'm a little annoyed that Holland makes Wahlberg look like an old man. (That's happening to a lot of my contemporaries these days.)

But this looks like a hoot.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I read in an interview that the movie is basicly 3 parts. One from Matt Damon's characters perspective, one from Adam Driver's characters perspective and the last one from Jodie Comer's characters perspective.

I've heard the Jodie Comer's perspective is the best part of the movie. That would be great because the last act is usually the weakest part of a movie.

1 hour ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

The official upload?:

Lol that does not look very good.

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I've heard the Jodie Comer's perspective is the best part of the movie. That would be great because the last act is usually the weakest part of a movie.

This film did not look very good to me either, especially in a visual sense, as you pointed out Alex. But critics seem to be digging it, so I am curious.

1 minute ago, KK said:

This film did not look very good to me either, especially in a visual sense, as you pointed out Alex. But critics seem to be digging it, so I am curious.

On the visual front it will most definitely lose to The Green Knight. Scott is getting old.

I thought the point of casting Tom Holland was to approach the series from a Young Drake angle so he could grow into the role.

But this film appears to be the story from 4, the game that concludes the character’s arc, but with a major set piece from 3 thrown in.

Considering the PS ad at the end, my assumption is this will be a one and done film to push PC sales of the fourth game. 

Also doesn’t bode well that a composer is yet to be attached. I heard a snippet of the main theme before Led Zeppelin kicked in.