Upcoming Films

Quintus

It's the principle of the thing

Even setting aside the appropriateness, Zombie is a worthless mediocre filmmaker who managed one semi-amusing trashy gorefest (Devil's Rejects) in a career of crap.  And man his wife is such a horrible actor.

This looks pretty good - I liked Zoe Kazan in "The Big Sick" and Carey Mulligan in "The Dig"

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

This looks pretty good - I liked Zoe Kazan in "The Big Sick" and Carey Mulligan in " The Dig"

This looks marvelous. I can't wait to see this. It looks similar to Bombshell but without the 'theatrics' if you understand.

Carey Mulligan is a terrific actress and I'm glad she is getting more work. I still think she should have won an Oscar for Promising Young Woman over McDormand for Nomadland.

And Zoe Kazan also is great. The supporting cast is very big with some cool standouts. Excited!

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I still think she should have won an Oscar for Promising Young Woman over McDormand for Nomadland

Oh man hard disagree

Thought someone would say that.

I have a deep dislike for Nomadland as a film. So that's the main reason.

Also I like McDormand a lot and I thought her Oscar for Fargo was deserved. But her other 2, for me, should have gone to Sally Hawkins or Saoirse Ronan and Mulligan.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/nope-first-reactions-jordan-peele-1235318777/

First reactions for Nope are very very positive. I can't wait to see this.

Bummer that I have to wait August 18th in my country.

One of my most anticipated films of the year

On 14/07/2022 at 10:02 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Carey Mulligan is a terrific actress and I'm glad she is getting more work.

She's been churning out performances fairly consistently ever since I first encountered her in the BBC's Bleak House in 2005! I suspect she gets as much work as she wants...

I'm inclined to agree with your preference for her perfomance in Promising Young Woman over McDormand's in Nomadland, at least insofar as the latter seems like the sort of thing McDormand can do in her sleep. If I had to pick a winner from that year, though, I'd sooner choose from a slew of great overlooked performances such as Elizabeth Moss in Shirley, Carrie Coon in The Nest, Morfydd Clark in Saint Maud, Jasna Đuričić in Quo Vadis, Aida? and Sally Hawkins in Eternal Beauty. Maybe even Aubrey Plaza in Black Bear.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/nope-first-reactions-jordan-peele-1235318777/

Glad to hear, I've been looking forward to this. I enjoyed Us more than others did, but understand why it got a bit of a lukewarm reception.

8 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

First reactions are usually very positive. Someone draws comparisons with Spielberg which is funny because something about the trailer reminded me of 1941

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

...something about the trailer reminded me of 1941

I'd like to know what, Alex.

I've just watched it. Yeah, Michael Wincott.

"It won't take you if you don't look at it". Is it the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal? :lol:

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd like to know what, Alex.

The same kind of ambition, the same kind of 'bigger is better' mentality, the same kind of wanting to do too much, and at the same time wanting to be funny. Based on my trailer reading abilities, Nope seems to start off a la Shyamalan (another huge Spielberg fan, BTW) but then goes full throttle. More, more, MORE! 

Apparently the trailer for Nope doesn't do the film justice according to early review.

1941 is a fun fine movie worthy of its criticisms but worth many accolades.

16 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Maybe even Aubrey Plaza in Black Bear.

Someone else knows this movie!  I was kinda blown away by it

Within a month or less of each other, I saw Sarah Gadon in Black Bear and Alias Grace, and was kind of blown away by her acting skills.  Unfortunately, I've never seen her in anything else since!  Does she need a better agent?

I've seen her in a bunch of other things - small parts in Cronenberg films, more substantial roles in EnemyBelle and Indignation, and most recently a co-leading role in American Woman (which, unfortunately, is a pretty bland film) - but nothing else where she has as much to do as in either Black Bear or Alias Grace.

Her Northern Irish accent in Alias Grace is remarkably good.

Yea Alias Grace overall wasn't a super great miniseries, but she was very very good in it

And the difference I was seeing in her in that role compared to Black Bear showed me what an impressive range she had!

There were some cool parts in there.

But some of the characters were a bit of a letdown and the action could've been so much better. Especially for a Mortal Kombat film #toomanycuts

I think Tom Hanks is a fine actor, but I’ve not enjoyed him in a movie for a long time - to no fault of his own, though. I recognize the problem is mine (“it’s not you, it’s me”) but he comes across as such Hollywood royalty at this point, a prop piece who is chosen to be in a movie to give it an air of legitimacy - rather than that he was actually the best choice for the role (or so it seems to me at least) - that I get tired just seeing his name on a poster.

On 20/07/2022 at 3:21 PM, Jay said:

Here's a trailer for Halloween... 11?

Halloween 4. This series supposes only Halloween and these 3 sequels exist.

It was hard to tell since there is zero connection between the majority of those "films". As bad as many are the Zombie Halloween films are failures on so many levels. 

Looking forward to Wakanda Forever this November and Till also in November. Interesting combination of a dream and a nightmare.

Netflix is making sure the Russo brothers won't be going back to Marvel and so they just ordered a sequel and a spin-off on The Gray Man.

TGM_20210510_11069r.jpg

On 18/07/2022 at 7:32 PM, Edmilson said:

Now Vikander is officially out:

Tomb Raider’ Rights Up For Grabs After MGM Exit; Alicia Vikander Role To Be Recast

MGM no longer holds rights to produce the Tomb Raider film franchise, which has spawned three movies with the most recent in 2018 starring Alicia Vikander. The actress is no longer attached to a planned sequel, and Graham King’s GK Films is now shopping rights and seeking a new lead, Deadline has confirmed.