Upcoming Films

Quintus

I feel Cate Blanchett is one of the best actors of the last 50 years.

I actually never have seen her in a role in which I didn't like something. She's incredible and always works very hard on her roles. I'm sure she will be great in this. Baton and all.

Ellen Burnstyn finally says 'yes' and returns to the world of The Exorcist.

ellen-burstyn-star-of-the-exorcist-expla

I understand you’re currently revisiting the world of The Exorcist. Is that true?

Yes. Yes, it is true.

I’m sure you’ve been asked many, many times over the years. Why now?

You know, what happened was I’ve turned down many versions of The Exorcist 2. I’ve said no every time. This time they offered me a whole bunch of money and I still said no. And then they surprised me and they came back and said, “We doubled the offer.” I said, “OK, let me think about this.” I thought, “That’s a lot of money. Let me think about it.” The next thought that came to mind was: “I feel like the devil is asking my price.” And the next thought that came to mind was, “My price is a scholarship program for talented students at our master’s degree program at Pace University. That’s my price.” So I then went back and upped their up and ended up getting what I want. And I’ve got a scholarship program for young actors.

Unbelievable.

Isn’t that great?

Has that been reported yet?

No.

I just got a scoop. Thank you.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ellen-burstyn-exorcist-sequel-actors-studio-1235206864/

On 25/08/2022 at 1:04 AM, LSH said:

I finally watched this teaser (Empire of Light) and it looks pretty cool!

On 26/08/2022 at 2:04 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I feel Cate Blanchett is one of the best actors of the last 50 years.

I actually never have seen her in a role in which I didn't like something. She's incredible and always works very hard on her roles. I'm sure she will be great in this. Baton and all.

Have you seen her in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? She is terrible. She is unable to gain any chemistry.

On 25/08/2022 at 5:57 PM, Jay said:

Trailer and poster for Todd Field's latest

FbA8XjqXEAAMi-N?format=jpg&name=large

This has been getting some really great reviews. And because this is movie about a conductor, I guess we already have our Oscar Winner for Best Original score, again to Hildur Guðnadóttir

I've missed this thread for a while, so I'm a bit late to this, but…

On 20/07/2022 at 5:51 PM, Jay said:

Within a month or less of each other, I saw Sarah Gadon in Black Bear and Alias Grace, and was kind of blown away by her acting skills.  Unfortunately, I've never seen her in anything else since!  Does she need a better agent?

…she was also in Villeneuve's weird, Lynchian Enemy from 2013, which it seems I liked much more than the rest of the internet.

On 13/08/2022 at 2:52 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

A new McDonagh - with Gleeson and Farrell? How could I have missed this? Most anticipated film of the year right there!

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

…she was also in Villeneuve's weird, Lynchian Enemy from 2013, which it seems I liked much more than the rest of the internet.

Sure, but I saw that years before I saw Black Bear and Alias Grace, and don't remember a thing bout her performance in it

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

A new McDonagh - with Gleeson and Farrell? How could I have missed this? Most anticipated film of the year right there!

It looks fun.  I really liked In Bruges and Three Billboards; I guess I need to finally see Seven Psycopaths!

20 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I'm mostly anticipating the movies by Noah Baumbach

The Baumbach is certainly potentially very interesting.  Being an adaptation of a novel widely reputed to be unadaptable.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It looks fun.  I really liked In Bruges and Three Billboards; I guess I need to finally see Seven Psycopaths!

Psychos is surely the lesser of the three. As far as I remember, it's a bit too convoluted and not very focused, and as a result, its ideas didn't fully work for me. But it's certainly worth seeing if you liked the others; I should probably watch it again myself.

I liked Three Billboards (it felt a bit Coen-esque, if I remember correctly) but it's not something I want to keep in my cinematic archives. It's like a joke, once you've heard it, you've heard it. Never even heard of Seven Pshychopaths.

I've watched it and find it pretty nice. There's some great production design and it reminds me a bit of Alex Garland movies, espacially Annihilation but with an interresting story

It's a whale of a tale :lol:

Seriously, though, Fraser is an actor - a person - who gets my sympathies.

A lot of shit has happened to him, and, apart from early stardom, he's never gotten the recognition that he deserves.

It's good to see him back.

I'm looking forward to both this, and KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Seriously, though, Fraser is an actor - a personal - who gets my sympathies.

I don't remember what movie or TV series but the last time I saw Brendan Fraser he played a prison officer (not a nice one) and I thought to myself "Wow, this guy can actually act." 

First images from Damien Chazelle's Babylon released.  I'm really looking forward to this film and score.  Nice to see Tobey Maguire in what likes like a real "character" role.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/babylon-first-look-brad-pitt-margot-robbie-lead-damien-chazelle-film-1235111440/

Spoiler

Margot Robbie in 'Babylon'

Li Jun Li in 'Babylon'

Tobey Maguire in 'Babylon'

Brad Pitt in 'Babylon'

Lukas Haas and Diego Calva in 'Babylon'

Diego Calva and Jean Smart in 'Babylon'

Jovan Adepo in 'Babylon'

Margot Robbie in 'Babylon'

Brad Pitt, Diego Calva in 'Babylon'

Whiplash was too over-the-top (to drive its point home and to heighten the drama to make sure the average Joe with little interest in drum lessons wouldn't fall asleep) and it did it without any sense of irony. That's why I didn't like it. It's like Chazelle thinks the general audience is mentally 14 years old (and he might not be wrong about that).