Upcoming Films

Quintus

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I still don't really understand why its remained so popular; I guess it's a right place, right time kinda thing

It does capture the zeitgeist of the '80s like no other movie. I guess that is its importance. But do I have to care?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder what pop artists they recruit for the soundtrack.  Do they go for 80s nostalgia or try to be current?

My guess is it will be current rap music and maybe something by Beyoncé.

I want to see James Tolkan! I want to see Tom Skerrit! I want a flashback with Anthony Edwards! I want to see Kelly McGillis! I want to hear a bunch of alpha male assholes sing THE SUN AIN'T GONNA SHINE ANYMORE, in a bar! 

It was a popular movie and it had "migs" against F-14's. Its not a bad film in anyway. It has great aerial actions. 

Count me in on any film with real aircraft carrier action.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Rap? Was there Rap on the original album?

No, but it's not a remake. The '80s are over, Drax.

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

No, but it's not a remake. The '80s are over, Drax.

Sure, but I have a hard time imagining songs from da hood used for fighter pilots and jets... unless it was Will Smith!

Rock is dead.

Other possibilities:

- Hans Zimmer clone for fighter jets scenes. Rap music for bar & bedroom scenes.

- Tom Cruise, the nostalgist, could be carrying a cassette with him that says: "Awesome Mix Vol.3"

- Roland TR-808 'music'

On the Top Gun: Maverick trailer — did anyone else get Star Wars sequel trilogy teaser trailer vibes? Flying fast and low over the desert... a character asking the protagonist the big existential question that underpins the entire plot... even the contemplative piano notes sounding out the main theme at the very end... that’s so TFA teaser to my eyes and ears, with a little TROS thrown in.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

army-of-the-dead-cast.jpg

Cast of Army Of The Dead (Zack Snyder)

"There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one...I thought this was a good palate cleanser to really dig in with both hands and make something fun and epic and crazy and bonkers in the best possible way...I love to honor canon and the works of art, but this is the opportunity to find a purely joyful way to express myself though a genre. It will be the most kick-ass, self-aware -- but not in a wink-to-the-camera way -- balls-to-the-wall zombie freakshow that anyone has ever seen. No one's ever let me completely loose [like this]." - Zack Snyder

If that was the preview image of a new B Netflix show people would laugh and forgot about it. But because it's Zack Snyder... - actually people will still laugh and forgot about it.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, Alexcremers said:

Life has new meaning to Disco Stu:

I will avoid like the plague.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Trailer for Zombieland 2

I still haven't seen Zombieland 1, should I?

Sure. Its a perfectly okay zombie movie with some clever moments and sound advice if you ever encounter a zombie apocalypse or for that matter encounter a masked serial killer(the advice is transferable).

or a deer with zombie disease.

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But it's the new Forrest Gump!

Is it a Zemeckis film?

On 7/23/2019 at 7:02 AM, Alexcremers said:

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I will avoid like the plague.

Okay, how in tune with this place are you people - can anyone spot the big irony in this post?

Perhaps, Lee, Americans might be able to see the irony, but there is no UK equivalent of Mr. Rogers, so...I'm at a bit of a loss, I'm afraid.

That said, Joe's post contains hyperbole: one couldn't avoid the plague, even if one tried.

What's your angle?

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Okay, how in tune with this place are you people - can anyone spot the big irony in this post?

What lee doesn't know is Mr. Rogers was after my childhood and if I watched it felt like punishment 

My baby sister was his audience 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, Richard said:

Perhaps, Lee, Americans might be able to see the irony, but there is no UK equivalent of Mr. Rogers, so...I'm at a bit of a loss, I'm afraid.

That said, Joe's post contains hyperbole: one couldn't avoid the plague, even if one tried.

What's your angle?

Joey is this site's big box office analyst and staunch proponent of domestic grosses over all else; worldwide total grosses and international movie appeal historically mean very little in his determinations. And yet, here we are with this new Tom Hanks biopic about a legendary American TV personality (I honestly can't think of his name right now) who is deeply beloved and famous on home soil, but the rest of the world barely know the man save for vague glimpses of him in other media over the years. This movie has essentially zero appeal overseas, being about as quintessentially US-centric as a broad entertainment could possibly be. And yet Joey, of all people, will "avoid it like the plague".

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Joey is this site's big box office analyst and staunch proponent of domestic grosses over all else; worldwide total grosses and international movie appeal historically mean very little in his determinations. And yet, here we are with this new Tom Hanks biopic about a legendary American TV personality (I honestly can't think of his name right now) who is deeply beloved and famous on home soil, but the rest of the world barely know the man save for vague glimpses of him in other media over the years. This movie has essentially zero appeal overseas, being about as quintessentially US-centric as a broad entertainment could possibly be. And yet Joey, of all people, will "avoid it like the plague".

My determinations were simply numbers posted weekly. The boxoffice situation has change dramatically making domestic and worldwide gross essentially on the same scale. Instead of apples to oranges its now apples to apples. 

Mr Rogers is beloved by some in America but not all of us loved the show. I was not the target audience and it was unwatchable to me. If I had to watch it it was like punishment similar to being at my nanna's and having to watch Lawrence Welk. I haven't even compared a Mr. Roger's  biopic to any thoughts of boxoffice success. 

Here is an interesting and significant reason I like domestic box-office over International I understand domestic appeal and what Americans like. I do not know much about the rest of the worlds likes and dislikes. I have learned that in America Tin-Tin is an afterthought. I also know the Chinese make big budgeted films that make Michael Bay seem like a cinematic genius. One final note on domestic vs worldwide. Avengers Endgame is the worlds biggest grossing film of all time not accounting for inflation. Yet it is a distant second domestically to Star Wars The Force Awakens with absolutely zero chance of overtaking TFA

Not to mention the greater importance of domestic revenue for studios as they get to keep a greater percentage. That varies internationally, and they don't necessarily receive the most generous slice in certain countries.