‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Set HP Lovecraft Thriller Film At Warner Bros

EXCLUSIVE: Game of Thrones creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss have set at Warner Bros an untitled thriller inspired by Hans Rodionoff’s graphic novel Lovecraft. Set to write the script are Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi, the scribe team behind such films as Aeon Flux, Ride Along and the Karyn Kusama-directed The Invitation and Destroyer. Kusama will be exec producer.

The filmmakers are keeping it close to the vest, but I’m told the movie asks a horrifying question: what if H.P. Lovecraft wasn’t making it up? What if the monsters he created are real? Also, the movie will be set in 1920 within the Cthulhu mythos. That’s all I got.

Benioff & Weiss have been eyeing this project and have been in discussion with Warner Bros’ Courtenay Valenti and Toby Emmerich for several years, while they were consumed with the monumental task of translating the George RR Martin Game of Thrones novels into eight epic seasons. The duo subsequently signed a megadeal to create TV and film projects for Netflix in August, but the discussion on this movie predated that deal.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/game-of-thrones-david-benioff-dan-weiss-hp-lovecraft-thriller-warner-bros-phil-hay-matt-manfredi-karyn-kusama-1202805585/

Cool! I'm a fan of Lovecraft, and always wanted to see the Mythos properly adapted for the big screen. I hope they choose a director with a strong sense of atmosphere and dread (like Cary Fukunaga, whose S1 of True Detective had some Lovecraftian themes to it).

The bandage would seem to indicate this takes place fairly soon after the 1st. But the 1st trailer from A quiet place was misleading so I expect this to be too.

Just saw a commercial for A Quiet Place 2 in the movie theater. Not a trailer... The trailers haven't started yet. It's still commercials, like right now it's a Cadillac commercial. But in the middle of the commercials was a little 30 second spot for Quiet Place 2.  Never seen that before. 

And now it's 2 minutes past start time and the trailers haven't even started yet. So many commercials. 

Trailers in front of TROS here... 

Top Gun Maverick... No

No Time To Die... Mr Robot! 

Bad Boys 4 Life... Martin Lawrence got old

1917.... Looks amazing! 

Tenet... Trippy

Onward... Looks weird

Black Widow... I think I'd watch ScarJo in anything. 

It's now 11:04 and my 10:40 showing hasn't started yet. 7 trailers and counting. What the hell? 

Mulan now. 8 trailers. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's now 11:04 and my 10:40 showing hasn't started yet. 7 trailers and counting. What the hell? 

Mulan now. 8 trailers. 

In the cinemark theaters here in the Bay Area, the trailers and movie news thing with Maria menounos take up 25 min or more. It’s gotten ridiculous. I’m seeing TROS Saturday at 6:05 pm, which really means 6:30. 

On my TROS session, there was only trailers for Wonder Woman 84 and Black Widow, along with some idiotic IMAX adverstisement. But this theater chain has less trailers and commercials.

Cinemark, at least where I live, has almost half an hour of crap before the beginning of the movie.

Didn't know where else to put it, so here it goes

Universal Notifies Theaters 'Cats' Is Being Updated With "Improved Visual Effects"

The move is unheard of for a finished film already in release.

How many lives does Cats have?

On Friday — the movie's opening day — Universal notified thousands of theaters they will be receiving an updated version of Tom Hooper's troubled film with "some improved visual effects," according to a copy of the memo obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.

The move is unheard of for a finished title already in release, according to cinema operators and Hollywood studio executives. Insiders say it is being done at Hooper's request.

Cats — which has been ravaged by critics — is in need of any help it can get at the box office after opening to $2.6 million on Friday and receiving a C+ CinemaScore from moviegoers.

Hooper has been upfront about the fact that he barely finished the CGI-heavy Cats in time for the Dec. 16 world premiere in New York City. Sources say he subsequently wanted to make more tweaks to certain effects.

Working Title produced the star-studded Christmas film, which cost roughly $100 million to make after tax rebates and incentives, and before marketing.

Universal's dispatch to exhibitors said the changes do not affect the running time.

The studio declined comment on Saturday.

The updated movie will be available to download Sunday via a satellite server, while exhibitors who don't have access to the server will receive a hard drive by Tuesday, per Universal's note. The studio is asking that theaters replace the current print of Cats as soon as possible.

Cinemas received Cats this week in preparation of opening weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-notifies-theaters-cats-is-being-updated-improved-visual-effects-1264689

I can see this becoming a trend on the next few years. Poor VFX workers...

I hate this.

It’s the same with the online streaming services, the companies who own the movies can change them at a whim.

Imagine how many times A New Hope  would be different had it been on an online service back when Lucas had the rights... There’d be a new version everyday!

And that’s saying nothing about messing with the classics that has scenes or characters that no longer “fit” in our day and age... For example, how Disney cut the Siamese cat song out of Lady and the Tramp.

Wait so the The Quiet Place is now a franchise? I seem to remember the first one let itself down quite badly at the end, ruining it, but there were definitely some really effective scenes before that. I'll give this sequel a chance. And to think I saw the entire first film without realising the dad was Jim from The Office.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Wait so the The Quiet Place is now a franchise? I seem to remember the first one let itself down quite badly at the end, ruining it, but there were definitely some really effective scenes before that. I'll give this sequel a chance. And to think I saw the entire first film without realising the dad was Jim from The Office.

He directed it as well. 

I saw the first movie and liked it alot. Didn't think a sequel was necessary whatsoever though. That long take with Blunt in the car in this trailer was dope though, had me thinking I'd change my mind... Then the rest of the trailer returned me to my original mindset. 

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Terrence Malick is in post-production of the life of Christ film!

This would be tremendoulsly interesting for me as I love such films and I love Mallick.

Also I'd like to know who will score it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10937004

I think it would be a good collaboration with a composer from a profoundly Christian country. Maybe an opportunity for him to reunite with Morricone? Or someone from Spain, like Roque Baños, Fernando Velázquez, etc? There's also Emilio Kauderer from Argentina and my fellow Brazilian Alexandre Guerra, who in 2013 got glowing reviews from famous international critics for his Legends of the Fall-like score for the movie O Tempo e o Vento:

'Knives Out' Sequel in the Works, Story Centered on Daniel Craig's Detective Character

The $40 million original film with an ensemble cast has grossed nearly $250 million worldwide.

As Knives Out concludes yet another strong weekend at the box office, writer-director Rian Johnson is already working on a follow-up to his hit original whodunit, lining up a potential franchise for Lionsgate.

Johnson told The Hollywood Reporter at Lionsgate's pre-Golden Globes party on Saturday night that he was already developing a sequel centered on Craig's Southern detective Benoit Blanc investigating a new case. He added that he was eager to make the film quickly, ideally in the next year. 

Johnson's producing partner Ram Bergman added that Craig was eager to reprise the role. "Daniel had so much fun doing it, and he wants to do more," he said. 

Lionsgate and MRC's Knives Out, made for a reported $40 million and boasting a star-studded cast including Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer and Toni Collette, became a shining beacon for original films in a 2019 box office dominated by sequels and franchises. It is up for three Golden Globe awards on Sunday - best comedy/musical picture and best comedy/musical actor and actress for Craig and co-star Ana de Armas. (MRC shares a parent company, Valence Media, with The Hollywood Reporter.) 

Lionsgate has not officially greenlit a Knives Out sequel, but given the film's $247 million haul worldwide, the film could be the beginning of a lucrative franchise for the studio and for Craig as he wraps up his stint as James Bond in the upcoming No Time to Die. Lionsgate film president Joe Drake told THR at Saturday's party that he's eager to read a script.

Johnson, who directed 2017's Star Wars: The Last Jedi, is also developing a new Star Wars trilogy, but the plans have slowed down as Disney and Lucasfilm figure out the next steps in the franchise following December's The Rise of Skywalker concluding the saga that began with 1977's A New Hope.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/knives-sequel-works-centered-daniel-craigs-detective-character-1266533

TLJ haters can celebrate: with Johnson busy with Knives Out sequels, he won't have any time to work on his SW trilogy.

And tbh, after all the vitriol and harassment he received for TLJ, and the critical and commercial success he enjoyed with KO, I don't think he is particularly eager to return to Star Wars, at least not for now.

Also, Craig will need a new franchise after No Time to Die, one that demands less physicality than Bond.