Upcoming Films

Quintus

My showing of TROS had, right before the movie started, a promo with Rey and Finn, joking around, selling the movie, that ended with a “get your tickets for TROS  now” tagline...

Like, yah, mate, already did that... : /

Didn't know where else to put it, so here it goes

Universal Notifies Theaters 'Cats' Is Being Updated With "Improved Visual Effects"

The move is unheard of for a finished film already in release.

How many lives does Cats have?

On Friday — the movie's opening day — Universal notified thousands of theaters they will be receiving an updated version of Tom Hooper's troubled film with "some improved visual effects," according to a copy of the memo obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.

The move is unheard of for a finished title already in release, according to cinema operators and Hollywood studio executives. Insiders say it is being done at Hooper's request.

Cats — which has been ravaged by critics — is in need of any help it can get at the box office after opening to $2.6 million on Friday and receiving a C+ CinemaScore from moviegoers.

Hooper has been upfront about the fact that he barely finished the CGI-heavy Cats in time for the Dec. 16 world premiere in New York City. Sources say he subsequently wanted to make more tweaks to certain effects.

Working Title produced the star-studded Christmas film, which cost roughly $100 million to make after tax rebates and incentives, and before marketing.

Universal's dispatch to exhibitors said the changes do not affect the running time.

The studio declined comment on Saturday.

The updated movie will be available to download Sunday via a satellite server, while exhibitors who don't have access to the server will receive a hard drive by Tuesday, per Universal's note. The studio is asking that theaters replace the current print of Cats as soon as possible.

Cinemas received Cats this week in preparation of opening weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-notifies-theaters-cats-is-being-updated-improved-visual-effects-1264689

I can see this becoming a trend on the next few years. Poor VFX workers...

I hate this.

It’s the same with the online streaming services, the companies who own the movies can change them at a whim.

Imagine how many times A New Hope would have been ”updated” had it been on an online service back when Lucas had the rights... There’d be a new version everyday!

And that’s saying nothing about messing with the classics that has scenes or characters that no longer “fit” in our day and age... For example, how Disney cut the Siamese cat song out of Lady and the Tramp.

Wait so the The Quiet Place is now a franchise? I seem to remember the first one let itself down quite badly at the end, ruining it, but there were definitely some really effective scenes before that. I'll give this sequel a chance. And to think I saw the entire first film without realising the dad was Jim from The Office.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Wait so the The Quiet Place is now a franchise? I seem to remember the first one let itself down quite badly at the end, ruining it, but there were definitely some really effective scenes before that. I'll give this sequel a chance. And to think I saw the entire first film without realising the dad was Jim from The Office.

He directed it as well. 

I saw the first movie and liked it alot. Didn't think a sequel was necessary whatsoever though. That long take with Blunt in the car in this trailer was dope though, had me thinking I'd change my mind... Then the rest of the trailer returned me to my original mindset. 

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Terrence Malick is in post-production of the life of Christ film!

This would be tremendoulsly interesting for me as I love such films and I love Mallick.

Also I'd like to know who will score it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10937004

I think it would be a good collaboration with a composer from a profoundly Christian country. Maybe an opportunity for him to reunite with Morricone? Or someone from Spain, like Roque Baños, Fernando Velázquez, etc? There's also Emilio Kauderer from Argentina and my fellow Brazilian Alexandre Guerra, who in 2013 got glowing reviews from famous international critics for his Legends of the Fall-like score for the movie O Tempo e o Vento:

Timothee Chalamet will be Bob Dylan on the upcoming "Going Electric", another based on a true story drama directed by James Mangold:

https://deadline.com/2020/01/bob-dylan-timothee-chalamet-james-mangold-going-electric-movie-newport-folk-festival-1202822609/

On 1/5/2020 at 7:25 AM, Alexcremers said:

All I need is Mank and ...

army-of-the-dead-netflix.jpg

... and the Charlie Kaufman one with Meth Damon. Heck, even the real Matt Damon can't say he ever worked with Kaufman, right?

As usual, the beginning of the year brings a lot lists of all sorts.

I saw an article on DigitalSpy about “What will be the biggest movie of 2020?” in terms of box office returns (not acclaim).

They rattle of a couple of films, blockbuster titles, but I think a bunch of them have “flop” potential.

This is the list:

Fast & Furious 9

Wonder Woman 1984

No Time To Die

Black Widow

Birds Of Prey

Onward

Minions: The Rise Of Gru

Mulan

Eternals

I think that there is a lot of potential for a few of these films to ‘bomb’, for example No Time To Die, Black Widow and Birds Of Prey, if not marketed right.

What do you think?

15 hours ago, rough cut said:

This is the list:

Fast & Furious 9

Wonder Woman 1984

No Time To Die

Black Widow

Birds Of Prey

Onward

Minions: The Rise Of Gru

Mulan

Eternals

Of these movies, the only guaranteed success are going to be Fast and Furious 9 (China alone, with its inexplicable obsession with this franchise, will push it to Avengers-sized box office), WW84 (sequel to a well received, well liked DC movie), the MCU flicks, Minions (which will be the biggest kid movie of the year) and Mulan (if even Aladdin earned over a billion dollars...).

BoP will be highly dependent of the critics, while NTTD will almost certainly have a lower opening weekend than previous Bonds, due to the huge gap between this and Spectre, and also because the last movie was controversial to say the least.

Also, Black Widow opens a few weeks later, which won't be good for its future career. If the movie is as bad as its troubled production suggests, then it will fall fast after the opening.

So yeah, don't be surprised if it earns Quantum of Solace numbers ($168m domestic, $586m worldwide).

I agree to what you are saying will succeed, with the exception of the MCU films...

Will people go to see Eternals? I guess we have to wait for the trailer, right now it seems too soon to say. Great cast, I concede, but the concept might put people off? And Black Widow, did the trailer even get MCU fans excited?

8 hours ago, rough cut said:

I agree to what you are saying will succeed, with the exception of the MCU films...

Will people go to see Eternals? I guess we have to wait for the trailer, right now it seems too soon to say. Great cast, I concede, but the concept might put people off? And Black Widow, did the trailer even get MCU fans excited?

Yeah, but the MCU already made huge hits out of risky movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Ant Man... The brand has earned more than enough trust over these years to be reliable to people. Even if people don't know yet what the Eternals are, they have confidence that the MCU will deliver something at least fun and watchable. And BW features a beloved MCU character on her first solo adventure, and may give hints about the future of the franchise, with the Midsommar lady taking over the mantle of the Black Widow.

2020 for Marvel seems a lot like 2014, with a more "realistic" spy thriller coming out in the middle of the year and a new fantasy adventure later - on that year we had The Winter Soldier and the first Guardians.

So yeah, unless both BW and Eternals are agressively terrible, I can't see neither of them bombing, at least for now. I don't think neither will do Avengers numbers, but after the monstrous box office by Black Panther and Captain Marvel, even that can happen.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, dear. Doesn't look good for DUNE, does it ;)

Does anyone have faith in Stevie boy, anymore? Where will WSS end up?

Another reason why I don't think Eternals will bomb. Of the list, almost all of the movies are coming on the first 7 months of the year, except for Eternals. This movie doesn't have any substantial marketing material whatsoever and still people are hyped to watch it almost an year before its release - a benefit earned by 11 of goodwill towards the Marvel Universe.

Dune, WSS and even Godzilla v Kong, on the other hand, haven't showed anything, so people can't decide if they are hyped to watch or not (the majority of it at least, I myself can't wait for Dune, lol).

And here's JW next score!

Duel Remake Reportedly In Development, Spielberg And Cruise Being Eyed

Duel is often classified as one of the most underrated thrillers of all-time. Steven Spielberg’s early 70s pic is filled to the brim with tension and intrigue, keeping viewers on the edge of their seat throughout the entire movie. Given its cult status over the years, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before someone decided to remake the action classic and now, that appears to be finally happening.

According to our sources – the same ones who told us Ace Ventura 3 and a new Scream movie are in development, both of which have since been confirmed – a remake of the 1971 film is in the works and those behind the project apparently want to bring Spielberg back to direct. It’s unclear if he’s interested or would be willing to sign on, but perhaps even more intriguing is their desire for renowned action frontman Tom Cruise to star in the leading role.

Whether or not either of these icons will actually end up joining the project remains to be seen, but it would certainly be a huge win for the studio if they could snag them both. And given that this intel comes from the same sources who also said a Swamp Thing movie is in the works, which Bloody Disgusting has since confirmed, we’ve no reason to doubt it.

For those unfamiliar with Duel, the original flick saw Dennis Weaver portray a business commuter named David Mann who’s driving his humble Plymouth Valiant to go meet his client. Pretty soon, however, he finds himself being chased by an enigmatic, unseen trucker who’s apparently out for blood.

The plot of the planned remake would mostly remain the same from what we understand: a driver finds out another driver is trying to take him off the road by force and kill him, but with a few new twists added in as well. Still, the thrust of it would be similar to what came before and given that Duel still holds up very well to this day, it’s certainly not a bad idea to stick to what worked in the past.

Tell us, though, do you have any interest in seeing Spielberg and Cruise remake this classic film? Or do you think the studio should just leave it on the shelf and not tamper with its legacy? As always, let us know down below.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/duel-remake-steven-spielberg-tom-cruise/

Is this a real movie?  Greyhound, a WWII action film written by and starring Tom Hanks?  Coming out in May released by Sony?

With a score by BLAKE NEELY?????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_(film)

During the early days of the United States' involvement in World War II, an international convoy of 37 Allied ships, led by Commander Ernest Krause, crosses the treacherous North Atlantic while being hotly pursued by wolf packs of German U-boats. The film focuses on Krause, a career officer who was finally given command of a destroyer, USS KEELING (radio code named 'Greyhound')'. Unlike the prototypical hero, he must battle his own self-doubts and personal demons to be an effective leader of the defenders.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Neely worked on The Pacific, which Hanks produced, so that makes sense. 

It's weird that The Pacific score, which he co wrote with Geoff Zanelli, is so great, while the rest of his work, specially on those awful super-hero shows, is so bland and mediocre :(

Remember National Treasure, that franchise on which Nic Cage is a modern day Indiana Jones (!), or something? Me neither, but it's getting a third movie, along with Bad Boys 4 (!!!).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bad-boys-4-works-1269915

So after exploiting all the franchises from the 80s and 90s, Hollywood's new trend is to bring back the 2000s franchises? Here's hoping for I, Robot 2, Shrek 5, Lemony Snicket 2 and, of course, Ridley Scott's much anticipated sequel to Gladiator. And since they're at it, why not a Troy sequel starring Sean Bean that adapts Homer's Odyssey, but as "dark, grim and realistic" as the 2004 movie?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, Disco Stu said:

Robert Zemeckis' new adaptation of the Road Dahl novel The Witches has started shooting.

It's written by Guillermo Del Toro & Zemeckis & Kenya Barris.  The location has been changed to Alabama.  Anne Hathaway is the Grand High Witch.  It also has Octavia Spencer, Chris Rock, and Stanley Tucci.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Principal-Photography-Begins-on-Robert-Zemeckis-THE-WITCHES-20190508

And now Zemeckis is remaking Pinocchio next

Oscar-winning filmmaker Robert Zemeckis is fully aboard Disney’s live-action remake of its animated classic Pinocchio. He’ll direct, and co-write the next draft with Chris Weitz for a possible year-end production start.

Casting is still being determined.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/pinocchio-robert-zemeckis-to-direct-1202840440/

My response is the same to the Witches news

On 5/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, Jay said:

Silvestri's score should be fun!

Home Alone in 2020:

Takes out smartphone, "Hey Mom, where are you?"

"Been waiting for the check-in for 4 hours, we just noticed you weren't here. We'll figure something out."

Roll credits.