Glad to hear Anjelica Huston narrating.  She hasn't been in an Anderson film since The Darjeeling Limited (which was her third in a row).

This looks delightful.  Stories within stories?  Each with their own visual look (even with their own aspect ratios)?  He's taking the formal playfulness of Grand Budapest and really running with it.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The idea of Henry Winkler in a Wes Anderson movie is so strange, but somehow perfect.

No one working today makes movies like Anderson.  Movies that seem to exude joy just for the very idea of being a movie.

Though I still love his films very much, they are borderline fantasy at this point. I much prefer his early films that felt grounded and human. 

52 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Though I still love his films very much, they are borderline fantasy at this point. I much prefer his early films that felt grounded and human. 

I first saw Rushmore in 2001, and I’ve been just along for the ride ever since.  I’m on board with anywhere his muse might lead him and I always will be.  Whatever he wants to do.  That said, I think Moonrise is his most perfect film.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, Edmilson said:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3603856/lionsgate-officially-orders-murder-mystery-sequel-knives/

I guess TLJ haters can celebrate, Johnson will be busy with his new franchise from now on and won't do his trilogy. Maybe it's the best solution for both parties, Johnson will do his own franchise with less pressure than a huge blockbusters, and TLJ haters will never see him touch their beloved franchise once again.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said that SW movies are on hiatus for the next few years because they're going to concentrate on SW TV shows (due to the far more positive reception that The Mandalorian has received compared to Solo and Rise Of Skywalker? Quite possibly), so who knows if Johnson's trilogy will ever see the light of day anyway.        

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Disney CEO Bob Iger said that SW movies are on hiatus for the next few years because they're going to concentrate on SW TV shows (due to the far more positive reception that The Mandalorian has received compared to Solo and Rise Of Skywalker? Quite possibly), so who knows if Johnson's trilogy will ever see the light of day anyway.        

At this point, I don't think Johnson's trilogy will ever happen. He seems to be happier working on the medium budget cinema, without having to please insane, rabid fanboys on social media, and he also gets nominated for awards for these movies. And Disney, on the other hand, is trying to figure it out what to do with Star Wars.

But I guess you're right, unless Feige has something on his sleeve, there's no way we'll see another SW in three years.

Looking forward to the Hunt. It will be trashy fun I am sure. Interestingly facebook will not allow this picture from the movie. It violates their sexuality nudity provisions.

the-hunt-director-breaks-silence-on-controversy-696x464.jpg

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Watched the teaser without sound (hey, movies are a visual art from, right?) and it looks promising. I can't say what time period it's supposed to be. Is it Fantasy? 

Yes, fantasy retelling of this story:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Middle English: Sir Gawayn and þe Grene Knyȝt) is a late 14th-century Middle English chivalric romance. It is one of the best known Arthurian stories, with its plot combining two types of folk motifs, the beheading game and the exchange of winnings. Written in stanzas of alliterative verse, each of which ends in a rhyming bob and wheel,[1] it draws on Welsh, Irish and English stories, as well as the French chivalric tradition. It is an important example of a chivalric romance, which typically involves a hero who goes on a quest which tests his prowess. It remains popular in modern English renderings from J. R. R. Tolkien, Simon Armitage and others, as well as through film and stage adaptations.

I'm afraid Dune will be another BR 2049 kind of movie for me, KK. I don't see can it could be otherwise. Dune is a very difficult world to get into and the fact that Villeneuve is the storyteller will not make it easier. With the exception of Prisoners, he kept me at an emotional distance with all of his movies. Of course, I'm slightly curious about the whole production design. How is the world of Dune going to be like? However it turns out, I'm sure it will look great on 4K Blu-ray.

:(

Exclusive: Live-Action ‘Rapunzel’ Movie In The Works At Disney

With Disney’s live-action reimaginings dominating the box office and Disney+, it comes as no surprise that we are hearing the studio is developing a live-action Rapunzel movie.

No word on if the film has any relation to any of the Tangled franchises such as the 2010 film, the Tangled Ever After Short (2012), The Disney Channel original Tangled Before Ever After (2017), and Tangled The Series (2017-).

Ashleigh Powell (The Nutcracker and the Four Realms) Is writing the script, and the movie will be produced by Michael De Luca (Moneyball, Captain Phillips) of Michael de Luca Productions and Kristin Burr (Christopher Robin) of Burr! Productions, who is also producing Cruella. Studio execs are Zoe Kent who is working on the live-action Lilo and Stitch for Disney+ and Jessica Virtue (Mulan 2020).  Lucy Kitada (Eleanor & Park) will oversee the production. A search for the film’s director is currently underway.

The studio is currently searching for a director to tackle the film that we hear is being made for a theatrical release, and not a Disney+ exclusive like Lady and the Tramp. If the project is related to the beloved Disney franchise, hopefully, we also receive a Eugene Fitzherbert aka Flynn Rider, and the villainous Mother Gothel. If the series is in relation to Tangled, who do you picture for this cast? Let us know!

Tangled was a hit with audiences and critics alike, would go on to make over $590 million at the worldwide box office, and would become the most successful Disney animated feature film since The Lion King in 1994, both financially and commercially. The film would also start a brand new movement for the Disney company in terms of aesthetics and marketability similar to how The Little Mermaid impacted the Disney Renaissance.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/14/exclusive-live-action-rapunzel-movie-in-the-works-at-disney/

Kids who were 10 when this flick came out are 20 now, and since they were on the verge of becoming teens, I don't think they "grew up" with the characters. So there is really no nostalgia factor in there. Really odd.

I guess the inevitable Frozen live action remake is closer than we think.

40 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

FROZEN live action? Let it go.

I had a dream to eventually direct that, but they'll get to it before I'm in business most likely.  And Frozen 2 kind of messed up what a live action version could do, unless Disney gives whatever director comes on the project a carte blanche, which is about as likely as snow in you know where.  

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Kids who were 10 when this flick came out are 20 now, and since they were on the verge of becoming teens, I don't think they "grew up" with the characters. So there is really no nostalgia factor in there. Really odd.

I guess but it's not coming out before 2022, probably later than that even. In which case it's appealing to young adults who were 6-8 in 2010. 

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

FROZEN live action? Let it go.

Does this count...

The review embargo in place hasn't prevented the favorable early buzz of the Invisible Man. I am very excited. The original Invisible Man is perhaps my all time favorite Universal classic film. I welcomr this new take and I am encourage by the positive reactions. 

Oscar Winner Martin McDonagh Sets Next Film After ‘Three Billboards’ Success — First Details

McDonagh's fourth directorial feature will be a two-hander set on an Irish isle.

Martin McDonagh is gearing up to return to filmmaking two years after his last project, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” dominated the Oscars with six nominations and two wins: Best Actress for Frances McDormand and Best Supporting Actor for Sam Rockwell. Variety confirms McDonagh will go into production this year on his follow-up project, an untitled two-hander set on an Irish isle. The script follows two lifelong friends on a remote Irish isle who face dark consequences after one of them decide to abruptly end their friendship. A cast for the film has not yet been announced. McDonagh will team with his “Three Billboards” production duo Searchlight Pictures and Film 4 on the project. Searchlight will distribute McDonagh’s latest worldwide.

McDonagh’s upcoming project will be his fourth feature following “In Bruges,” “Seven Psychopaths,” and “Three Billboards.” Film 4 has been behind all of McDonagh’s film projects. Both “In Bruges” and “Three Billboards” landed the director Oscar nominations for Best Original Screenplay, while “Three Billboards” was his first to compete for Best Picture. Searchlight released “Three Billboards” in November 2017 to $54 million in the U.S. and $160 million worldwide, a strong run for a drama that cost in the $12 million range to produce. McDonagh’s film debut was the short film “Six Shooter,” which won the Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/martin-mcdonagh-next-film-three-billboards-details-1202211878/