Upcoming Films

Quintus

Castle Rock Entertainment has announced that it will produce a sequel to the award-winning crime drama Wind River, titled Wind River: The Next Chapter

The first film was written and directed by Taylor Sheridan; The sequel is written by Patrick Massett & John Zinman and directed by Kari Skogland.

Holy poop, I just found out there's a new animated film arriving on Netflix tomorrow from some of the people who made the great Wolfwalkers, and its scored by the Danna brothers

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/my-fathers-dragon-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-film/1650351556

2000s kids (myself included) may celebrate.

Paramount has announced 2025 release dates for upcoming animated movies about “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and “SpongeBob SquarePants.”

The untitled “SpongeBob” movie has a May 23, 2025, release date and is produced by Nickelodeon Animation and Paramount Animation.

The untitled “Avatar: The Last Airbender” movie is coming Oct. 10, 2025, and is produced by Nickelodeon Animation, Paramount Animation and Avatar Studios. Both are getting wide releases.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-the-last-airbender-movie-release-date-1235429774/

Oof, I watched that Father's Dragon trailer and it doesn't look very good at all

Also The Whale's trailer barely shows anything

Don't know if this has been posted, but they made a sequel to one of the biggest box office bombs ever:

It's a direct-to-DVD movie and I think it'll be available on Netflix, but I don't know why they thought people wanted another RIPD movie, specially one without Ryan Reynolds.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jay said:

Castle Rock Entertainment has announced that it will produce a sequel to the award-winning crime drama Wind River, titled Wind River: The Next Chapter

The first film was written and directed by Taylor Sheridan; The sequel is written by Patrick Massett & John Zinman and directed by Kari Skogland.

This is an odd choice for a sequel. I really like the first film, so I guess I’ll give it a shot. Not hopeful without Sheridan though. 

Visually, this looks absolutely stunning, and certainly up there with Deakins' best work.

Having Toby Jones - the best damned actor that England has. Don't believe me? Just ask Mark Kermode - in anything, is always a plus.

Essential viewing. Looks like the grownups get to go to the flicks, this Crimbo.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:18 AM, filmmusic said:

How many versions of A Christmas Carol do we need?

Seriously, I think it's the story with the most film iterations.

As many as possible. Its the greatest story of redemption ever told.

Ah, glad you replied to that Joe, I missed that trailer.  I probably won't watch it, but I try to at least sample every new Christmas film score, I'll make sure to check that OST out next month.  Score is by some guy named Jeremy Holland-Smith.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Having Toby Jones - the best damned actor that England has.

Yeah I'll buy that. I do miss his dad.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, filmmusic said:

How many versions of A Christmas Carol do we need?

Seriously, I think it's the story with the most film iterations.

Wait, this is the actual musical Scrooge? Like from 1970?

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The only two versions of A CHRISTMAS CAROL you need, are the original Alastair SIM, and the George C. Scott.

Indeed.

And A Muppet Christmas Carol I might add.

The George C. Scott though is my favourite. Probably because it was the first I saw.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Wait, this is the actual musical Scrooge? Like from 1970?

Do you mean with the same songs? I don't think so.

25 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

The George C. Scott though is my favourite.

Mine too, and the Bicat soundtrack is just soooo good. 

George C. Scott plays Scrooge as this broken, soulful, lonely man. For me, no one's Scrooge has felt more like a real human person than Scott's.

Plus, his is a surprisingly solid English accent for an American actor!  Like it's clearly more of a mid-Atlantic thing he's doing, somehow it's both an accent that basically exists nowhere and yet it's not distracting at all.

37 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The only two versions of A CHRISTMAS CAROL you need, are the original Alastair SIM, and the George C. Scott.

25 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

And A Muppet Christmas Carol I might add.

I will say that I also have quite a bit of fondness for the 1938 MGM adaptation.  It makes some very questionable adaptation choices, but this is prime era MGM Hollywood production quality with some lovely performances and a very nice Franz Waxman score

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

McShane is absolutely stunning, as Al Swearengen.

Yeah, I realize that saying "I like Ian McShane but I haven't watched Deadwood" is in the league of saying "I'm a Harrison Ford fan but I haven't seen Star Wars or Indiana Jones."

On 14/11/2022 at 6:37 PM, Jay said:

Empire of Light final trailer

Holy! I didn't realize it's the new Sam Mendes movie. You should mention that, Jay. You gotta sell it!

On 25/08/2022 at 1:04 AM, LSH said:

image.jpeg

On 25/08/2022 at 5:18 AM, AC1 said:

Trailer doesn't give anything away, very unusual.

This looks absolutely bonkers and surprisingly solid at the same time.

Quite the cast Keri Russell, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and one of Ray Liotta's last screen performances.

Directed by Elizbeth Banks. Music by Mark Mothersbaugh

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for that, Alex, but I think I'll stick with Michael, Raquel, Oli, Chuck, and the gang. You get two films for the price of one :lol:

Because it didn't say in the contract how many films they were making. It does now!

Disney really made a (direct-to-streamjng) sequel for a family movie that even as a kid I thought it was lame (though maybe, at age 13/14, I was a little too old for this movie and more into edgier stuff like Ghost Rider, Lost, 300...)

On 07/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for that, Alex, but I think I'll stick with Michael, Raquel, Oli, Chuck, and the gang. You get two films for the price of one :lol:

Saw that in the cinema. I remember it well. I was very young (probably 10) and Raquel Welsh was one of the first women that caught my attention in a different way. It was a strange ... sensation.

Sam Mendes Empire of light looks like a biggest pile of shit. I'd rather be tortured than to watch that movie

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Sam Mendes Empire of light looks like a biggest pile of shit. I'd rather be tortured than to watch that movie

Oh

I only dislike one Sam Mendes movie and that's his overly stylish mafia comic book movie where I felt the tone was forced and offputtingly cumbersome. Watching it a second time didn't help either. On the other hand, I like American Beauty, his Bond movies and Revolutionary Road. I don't remember a thing about Jarhead so maybe it's one of his lesser ones as well. I'll happily watch Empire Of Light which to me sounds like a beacon of light among today's offerings and a refuge for those who love film instead of theme park rides. 

There is nothing remotely attractive about that movie.

All I see is some ugly screaming harpy 

Visually, Mendes' films are, often, striking, but Stu is right: sometimes it's just the emperor's new clothes. Still, he's a better filmmaker than his doppelganger, Nolan.

Having said that, I will see EMPIRE OF LIGHT, if I can, for two reasons:

1/ Roger Deakins 

2/ Toby Jones

After reading the comic book ahem! graphic novel, THE ROAD TO PERDITION just looks like what it is: the story translated to the big screen. JARHEAD is remarkable for being the first film to portray a war where nobody fought. No wonder Alex can't remember anything about it :lol: