Upcoming Films

Quintus

I liked Sam Mendes' movies when they were scored by Thomas Newman (American Beauty and The Road to Perdition are two of his best scores). Now that they are scored by pop duos, I don't know if I care anymore.

I've liked some of his movies too but this newest one .... Apparently the critics aren't particularly fond of it

As bad as Empire of Light appears to be (and I'm sure it's at the very least watchable), it was an opportunity for Thomas Newman to write a romantic score in the vein of Meet Joe Black or The Horse Whisperer. It's so sad Mendes didn't asked him for this specific movie.

Honestly, if I could change, I'd prefer Resznor and Ross doing 1917 and Newman doing Empire of Light.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I loved 1917. I despise American Beauty.

Funny, I think his forte is small movies that are about people. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Y’all crazy. 

Except for me!

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As bad as Empire of Light appears to be ...

Apparently it's a love letter to film. At least it doesn't appear to be a kids movie, like Scorsese's love letter to film (Psst: Hugo).

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

First poster for Beau Is Afraid (Ari Aster)

319208377-537569751595894-21473950357626

There is something simultaneously creepy/hilarious about seeing Phoenix turned into a mix of little boy with 30-year-old female English literature student. 

Because it features kids and dinosaurs, two ingredients kids will relate to.

It might be a remake of The Lost World as well. Don't remember much of that one. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ALIEN (it's even got the sound effect)+ALIENS+PREDATOR+JURASSIC PARK+Adam Driver.

I'm in :)

This looks fun. And you know what's cool about this trailer? No secrecy, no hiding what it's about, no mystery boxes. Flat out tells you what you're in for. Love it. It's also unabashedly derivative, and doesn't try to hide it, or wrap it in nostalgia. It's just "Here's what you're getting, aliens & dinosaurs and people screaming".  Movie might suck, but gotta respect that it's not trying to be anything other than what it is.

And not just a series, it's kind of an interactive thing.

"If you just watch the trailer for “Kaleidoscope,” you’re missing the biggest selling feature of the series—the release model. You see, on paper, this is a story about a major heist and the characters who make up the crew that will steal $7 billion. But you see, each episode of “Kaleidoscope” takes place in a different time period, over the course of 25 years, leading up to the big heist at the end. And Netflix is going to fuck with viewers by giving each member a different viewing order of the series. Some will get a more linear version, while others with have the time shuffled a bit more. The idea is that each person watching the show will have a different perspective on the end result, as they experience the story differently. It’s a wild concept. "

https://theplaylist.net/kaleidoscope-trailer-netflix-is-messing-with-customers-with-the-release-strategy-of-this-heist-series-20221213/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's not a film, that's a series

Woah.

59 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And not just a series, it's kind of an interactive thing.

"If you just watch the trailer for “Kaleidoscope,” you’re missing the biggest selling feature of the series—the release model. You see, on paper, this is a story about a major heist and the characters who make up the crew that will steal $7 billion. But you see, each episode of “Kaleidoscope” takes place in a different time period, over the course of 25 years, leading up to the big heist at the end. And Netflix is going to fuck with viewers by giving each member a different viewing order of the series. Some will get a more linear version, while others with have the time shuffled a bit more. The idea is that each person watching the show will have a different perspective on the end result, as they experience the story differently. It’s a wild concept. "

https://theplaylist.net/kaleidoscope-trailer-netflix-is-messing-with-customers-with-the-release-strategy-of-this-heist-series-20221213/

REALLY woah!

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This is… amazing.

I'm doing semi-regular film nights with friends and have started compiling pre-film playlists with commercials, trailers etc. for each night. I had the Cocaine Bear trailer lined up as the highlight for Sunday's film night, but now it's just going to be the warm up for this.

Ladybird was a movie I liked but didn't love, Little Women was a movie I love loved, looking forward to Gerwig's next couple of movies to see if that trend continues!  I must admit, that is a very funny trailer.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

This is… amazing.

I'm doing semi-regular film nights with friends and have started compiling pre-film playlists with commercials, trailers etc. for each night. I had the Cocaine Bear trailer lined up as the highlight for Sunday's film night, but now it's just going to be the warm up for this.

That is so cool!!!

I might do something like that

Henry Cavill is doing just fine

Henry Cavill To Star In & EP ‘Warhammer 40,000’ Film & TV Franchise

”I have loved Warhammer since I was a boy, making this moment truly special for me. The opportunity to shepherd this cinematic universe from its inception is quite the honour and the responsibility. I couldn’t be more grateful for all the hard work put in by Vertigo, Amazon Studios and Games Workshop to make this happen. One step closer to making a nigh on lifelong dream come true.”

Can anyone tell me why someone would think the Barbie movie wants to ridicule 2001: A Space Odyssey? What led them to this conclusion? Is it because the pastiche is meant to be funny? Really? Hmmm ..

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Can anyone tell me why someone would think the Barbie movie wants to ridicule 2001: A Space Odyssey? What led them to this conclusion? Is it because the pastiche is meant to be funny? Really? Hmmm ..

There are some films you just don't ridicule.

2001 is one of them.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There are some films you just don't ridicule.

2001 is one of them.

Are you kidding? How many people ONLY know 2001 through parody and pastiche? My kids refer to The Blue Danube as "The funny space music". Sometimes they say "It's from that space movie that Dad loves." Heck, by the time I saw 2001 in 1982 I knew the monolith from Sesame Street (or Electric Company?) and Also Sprach Zarathustra from... Everything?

I'm not sure there has been a movie MORE referenced than 2001. Maybe Psycho?

I don't understand this line of thought.  This Barbie teaser is not saying "2001 is a dumb movie, let's make fun of it", it's making a deliberate cultural reference to a popular cultural milestone, as has been done by many artists over the past 54 years and will continue to be done for many more

3 hours ago, Jay said:

This Barbie teaser is not saying "2001 is a dumb movie, let's make fun of it"

When something masterful is being used in a kitsch - yes, kitsch - way to bring laughter, it is ridiculed in my book.

I felt the same when Williams' Schindler's List theme was used in a Greek comedy series, again in a kitsch way.

By the way, the next Miyazaki film appears to have a date for July 14th, 2023! Hooray!

I think that's a hot take. I don't think the average person would say that this teaser is "ridiculing" 2001.

It would never occur to me to think that way, or that anyone else would. Oh well. 

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

So, you're saying you wouldn't mind if Williams and his music is parodied?

And it has, many times. Even by great composers like Elmer Bernstein: