Upcoming Films

Quintus

You're misremebering.

He said he'd end his directing career with 10 films; He counts Kill Bill as 1 film, and ignores Four Rooms

1. Reservoir Dogs
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Jackie Brown
  4. Kill Bill
  5. Death Proof
  6. Inglourious Basterds
  7. Django Unchained
  8. The Hateful Eight
  9. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  10. The Movie Critic

"we"?

I'm just telling you how Tarantino himself explained it, not my personal opinion on how to count this works

I mentioned Four Rooms in my post, Love Birds was a short, not a feature-length, and I guess he doesn't count Birthday because it was never finished or released

New crime thriller coming starring Sydney Sweeney, Paul Walter Hauser, Halsey, Zahn McClarnon, and Toby Huss ... great cast!

21 hours ago, Jay said:

New Tetris trailer

This remains very confusing to me. Is it a comedy? Is it a drama? Is it both? Does it claim to tell the true story or just to be very loosely based on real events?

There seems to be a common belief that it was Nintendo who brought Tetris to "the West"/the world via the Gameboy, and these trailers *seem* to support that idea. But in fact, the game was already a hit in Europe and the USA on various kinds of platforms (*and* in Japan on the NES) before Nintendo acquired the console rights. The Gameboy version certainly was the best and remains far superior to most other versions I've seen, but the apparent misconception of the game's history and Nintendo's role in it has always annoyed me.

With all the complexities surrounding the origin of the game and its legal rights (and the battles for it), and the direct connections to Soviet communism and (not just Western) capitalism, there's a lot of stuff that could surely make for a fascinating authentic drama. This doesn't seem to be that.

It looks fun. But I still have a hard time telling if it wants to be fun, or seriously thrilling, or enlightening, or authentic, or some or all of them to various degrees. It seems to have the potential to be a bit of each, and possibly also to be an annoying distortion of real events to a much greater degree than most viewers will realise. Or perhaps not.

On 15/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, Jay said:

Blackberry trailer with bald Dennis Glen

OMG, yes! The story of the rise and spectacular fall of Blackberry was always ripe for a cinematic dramatization and this one looks awesome. I remember following Blackberry's struggles in the late 2000s/early 2010s through a website called macdailynews.com I read regularly at the peak of my Apple/Steve Jobs fanaticism. The editors there were maybe a little too schadenfreude about Blackberry's missteps and failures but they were right that Blackberry very thoroughly underestimated the way iPhone was going to change personal tech.

If the CEO hadn't been so distracted by trying to bring another NHL franchise to Toronto, he might have had the bandwidth to stave off disaster at his company. (On a side note, I don't think any reason for Blackberry losing the plot could be more Canadian than that.)

2 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Blackberry very thoroughly underestimated the way iPhone was going to change personal tech.

You mean underestimated full touch screen phones with enough CPU power for browsing and apps, not necessarily only Apple's offering that did this!

2 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

If the CEO hadn't been so distracted by trying to bring another NHL franchise to Toronto, he might have had the bandwidth to stave off disaster at his company. (On a side note, I don't think any reason for Blackberry losing the plot could be more Canadian than that.)

lol!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You mean underestimated full touch screen phones with enough CPU power for browsing and apps, not necessarily only Apple's offering that did this!

Yes, but Apple were the first to produce and market a commercially viable touch phone for everyday users. I imagine Blackberry-style phones would have become obsolete with out without competition on the touch phone market (although it might have taken longer). And I'm saying that as someone who isn't an Apple fan - I waited until Android to get my first touch phone, and I'm still sad they didn't find some way to keep a physical keyboard on these things.

4 hours ago, HyenaBoy said:

Surprised no-one here's mentioned this yet: 

They'll really need to change that title in Portugal. It means roughly the same as in Spanish, but we use the expression "Chupa!" as "suck it!", like when one's proven right in a very heated argument or our football team scores a goal against a rival.

Besides, it looks like a absolute E.T rip off, but with a creature that looks far less realistic, even though it was made more than 40 years later

20 minutes ago, Romão said:

They'll really need to change that title in Portugal. It means roughly the same as in Spanish, but we use the expression "Chupa!" as "suck it!", like when one's proven right in a very heated argument or our football team scores a goal against a rival.

Besides, it looks like a absolute E.T rip off, but with a creature that looks far less realistic, even though it was made more than 40 years later

I think they also changed the name of the movie in Brazil after Twitter was filled with memes. Here it is also used in the same way you described, so no one would take this movie seriously.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The girl addresses the name in the trailer. Is it not intentional? She says it means “sucker.”

In a way, yes. "Chupacabra" actually translates to "goat sucker".

12 hours ago, Romão said:

Besides, it looks like a absolute E.T rip off

Don't a lot of films use the same type of plot formula as E.T?

On 10/11/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jay said:

Castle Rock Entertainment has announced that it will produce a sequel to the award-winning crime drama Wind River, titled Wind River: The Next Chapter

The first film was written and directed by Taylor Sheridan; The sequel is written by Patrick Massett & John Zinman and directed by Kari Skogland.

‘Wind River: The Next Chapter’ Adds Gil Birmingham, Alan Ruck, Kali Reis & Tatanka Means

OK, what I want to know is, did this film start as a parody, or (as I'm hoping) once it was in the can and the studio realized how bad it is they decided to market it as such? ROTFLMAO

19 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Don't know anything about the film. Looks a bit weird.

But there's a GoldenEye reunion in here: Sean Bean & Famke Jansen

!

Me and my wife were literally watching some old clips from the old TV show yesterday.

Spoiler

4DDC3D7D-0D33-4BD9-8865-D58BADB95232.jpeg

02DCB0A6-A930-4469-AB1E-3405EE934C45.jpeg

9E21ADC8-C2F1-4FE6-953C-800E0B0534D2.jpeg

6CB09AE6-BB65-4249-8FBB-6C468094D554.jpeg

For @AC1: Rebel Moon will allow Zack Snyder to go full Snyder, with no studio to hold him back.

Rebel Moon is... I mean, it's in the can. It's in post-production right now. Zack [Snyder] is editing away, and I've seen bits and pieces of it. I've seen scenes here and there and a cut of the trailer. I haven't seen the full movie myself yet, but I'm very, very excited about it. I really feel so lucky to get to work with Zack. I tell him this all the time, but 300 was one of the first R-rated movies that I convinced my parents to take me to see in theaters, which I think he hates me saying because it makes me seem super young. But nevertheless, he's been really an inspiration to me for a long time. And I think with Rebel Moon, people will just see that it's him really getting to unleash his visual imagination to the fullest extent. And I think people will really dig it.

https://collider.com/rebel-moon-writer-shay-hatten-comments/

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

For @AC1: Rebel Moon will allow Zack Snyder to go full Snyder, with no studio to hold him back.

https://collider.com/rebel-moon-writer-shay-hatten-comments/

I've seen Snyder 'free from his chains' and it wasn't good (Army Of The Dead). Snyder needs to stop thinking he's a writer.