Upcoming Films

Quintus

Like I said, I don't think it's a particularly well made trailer. But one might say don't judge a book by its cover, so don't judge a movie by its trailer. From the images we saw, I'm liking the feel of the film.

Not to mention it has a score by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, which is the primary reason for my anticipation of this film. Also because it's a post-apocalyptic western. Although the trailer made it seem like a natural disaster.

Ridley Scott, Terry Gilliam and Neil Gaiman haved watched it and they all loved it! This makes me even more anxious to see it!

I'm very interested in it (I'm interesting in anything all three of those people could recommend), however, the trailer does make it seem rather close to Solaris, thematically speaking. I hope it goes in a different direction.

I must say, when I was watching this trailer, I only looked at the style and tone. I don't think I even want to know what it's about until I watch the entire film. The director of Moon (He's the son of David Bowie) openly admits that he borrows a lot from Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies. He says that with his next movies he's aiming to recapture the magic of Blade Runner. You can imagine, Morlock, that this makes me kind of interested to know what he has in mind.

Alex

Eh, pounding trailer music and daring stunts aren't going to do a book like The Road justice.

No it doesn't. From what I've heard the trailer isn't an accurate presentation of the film, which is far closer to the source material than the trailer suggests. For one thing, the apocalyptic event that causes all the devastation in the book is never specified and the trailer begins with all sorts of random bits of disaster footage, all of which probably (hopefully) isn't in the movie.

Isn't it implied that it was a nuclear war? I wouldn't know, but I recall reading that somewhere. I think it is necessary to set something like that up. You don't have to show it happening, you don't have to fully explain it, but give some details. Kinda like with I Am Legend. You can't just start the film in that environment, well you could, but whatever.

Isn't it implied that it was a nuclear war?

There are a few vague hints in the book but it's purposely left undisclosed.

But it's produced by Tim Burton, so you should immediately love it. :P

IMO the animation is a breath of fresh air into the usual big budget animated films we get these days. Looks interesting and different.

I can certainly see some Tim Burton influence (and if the Wanted trailers are anything to judge by, some Timur Bekmambetov influence as well), but one must keep in mind that Shane Acker originally made 9 as an eleven-minute short film in 2005(available for viewing here if one is interested).

;)

Also, is it surprising that Tim Burton is producing something like this? It has his style all over it.

That's just it. Burton IS psychotic.

Of course, I'm being hyperbolic. The politically correct thing to say would be "I just don't care for his style". And FYI, this is the first I'd ever heard of 9 and didn't realize Burton was attached until I started watching.

Watch. All manner of disturbance and mayhem will hit NYC, and everyone will blame the terrorists. Until it's revealed to be of paranormal origin, and the Ghostbusters will be called out of retirement. Although it'll take a third of the movie to get to that point, and probably another third for Akroyd to "put the band back together," so to speak, leaving the final Act 3 to actually kick some ectoplasmic booty.

Seriously, Hollywood, this is a bad idea.

Next, I want to see The Breakfast Club 2. I want them to film where all the detention kids are now in their lives, and what's going on, and maybe even have their teenage kids all stuck together in detention together. Yea. That'd be great.

I liked The Breakfast Club....

So do most people.

I've never met a person who didn't think it was a stupid movie. :P

You must be hangin' with the wrong crowd.

Most people who don't like it probably weren't even born or just a young child when it was released.

Most people who don't like it probably weren't even born or just a young child when it was released.

Interesting, The Breakfast Club was the "coming-of-age" film for my eighth-grade class. It was treated as if it were a new film, and a lot of kids would talk about it incessantly.

To be honest, I never met a person who did not like it, until I read this Thread.

+1

Like most John Hughes "coming of age" films, it's very patronising and thinks it has a lot to say. It doesn't offend as much as PRETTY IN PINK, but it's still a pretty diabolical film. Then again, I prefer SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL. If only because it's hero is called Keith.

Some Hollywood nimrods have it in their heads to make a new Buffy movie without Joss. Good luck with that.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldde...osh-whedon.html

Of course Joss was barely involved in the first movie too, which is why it wasn't too good.

They want to make it a franchise, so that each generation can have its own slayer, and this their own line of Buffy movies.

Unless they cast Elisha Cuthbert as the lead, this won't be worth watching.

Like most John Hughes "coming of age" films, it's very patronising and thinks it has a lot to say. It doesn't offend as much as PRETTY IN PINK, but it's still a pretty diabolical film. Then again, I prefer SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL. If only because it's hero is called Keith.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats Sixteen Candles.