The Holy Grail

Charlie Brigden

There's been talk of people perhaps losing interest in collecting soundtracks because there have been so many great releases, but there's also people stating that they still have their holy grails. One big one is about to come in the Indy boxset (even with the missing cues), but now that's on the way, what is your Holy Grail? What's the one soundtrack you're desperate to see finally expanded or completed, or even released?

(Oh, and the first 26 seconds of the TOD End Credits doesn't count!)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been talk of people perhaps losing interest in collecting soundtracks because there have been so many great releases, but there's also people stating that they still have their holy grails. One big one is about to come in the Indy boxset (even with the missing cues), but now that's on the way, what is your Holy Grail? What's the one soundtrack you're desperate to see finally expanded or completed, or even released?

I would go for the orchestrational Holy Grail, which would be:

1) Hook: of course there are the (nice) bootlegs but an official high quality complete score would be really nice.

2) Jurassic Park: not only with the cues that are not on the album (which aren´t that many) but including the music that Williams must have written and that never made it to the recording sessions or into the film.

3) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Too many unreleased cues, potentially a lot of unused music.

No way I can only name one :D, so here goes:

- the COMPLETE 007 scores - all of 'em (some already are, I suppose, so those who still aren't)

- the COMPLETE Home Alone

- the COMPLETE Hook

- the COMPLETE Kingdom of Heaven

- the COMPLETE Conan the Barbarian

- the COMPLETE Independence Day

These few spring to mind immediately, but there are more, of course. :P

I realise some of those are already available as bootlegs etc., but I want them as legit releases. Yes, true soundtrack junkie's hunger for more is never satiated. bowdown

Howard Shore's KING KONG- Only a few seconds of this score was heard on a production diary for the Peter Jackson film. This score was famously rejected in favor of James Newton Howard's score. Although apparently not all of it was recorded, I would love to hear what was, and maybe synth versions of the unrecorded cues.

JURASSIC PARK- The album is a fair representation of the movie, but with some great missing cues (The Jeep Chase being my personal favorite) and strange arrangement decisions (Having the End Credits music labeled as "Welcome to Jurassic Park" and then having "End Credits" just be an edit from the exact same track make no sense to me at all, and consider it a waste of album space that could have went to some unreleased material) this score could use a complete re-release. Besides, it's the score of my personal favorite movie. bowdown

HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS- Say what you will about James Horner (most of which I actually agree with, good and bad), but his zany score for the sort-of classic Disney film is full of such energy and shameless fun that even when it steals from Amarcord (sp?), Goonies, and even himself, it is a jazzy fun ride! Though luckily a fairly good sounding complete bootleg for this score does exist, it could use an official release. This will probably never happen though due to the legality issues involved.

GOONIES- Dave Grusin's catchy and fun score for the famous cult favorite needs a full release; not the two or three tracks currently present on the original album with all those gummy 80's pop songs.

There are probably more that I would buy in a heartbeat if ever released, but those were the first that came to mind.

I'm somewhat similar to GoldsmithFan - most of what I want has been released. The LotR: CRs were the release to me that I guess the 1997 SW releases were to most people here - a dream come true.

But among those that I would buy complete instantly are:

Spider-Man 3

Dante's Peak

The Edge

Jurassic Park

Not exactly classics, but they're important to me for one reason or another.

Oh, now I remember one more I have always wanted:

GREMLINS- Classic Jerry Goldsmith score that desperately needs to be officially released in full. Judging by all of the Goldsmith releases finally coming to CD these days, it probably won't be much longer before this finally happens.

and for the hell of it:

GREMLINS 2- Okay, like what I said for Jurassic Park, this one actually did get a decent album release. However, it is out of print, and there were some very fun moments not included on the CD (one of my favorites being when the gremlin who grew wings attacks the Futtermans and then becomes a gargoyle after being pushed into the wet cement).

Maybe they can release both of these as two complete score 2CD set? I am sure each film's complete score can be comfortably set on one CD a piece (unless they tried to include alternates or concert arrangements). Would be a very attractive product for us score fans.

For Williams, complete prequels and Harry Potter. Non-Williams, pretty much all the Star Treks, Independence Day, Back to the Future...and probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

And of course the best ones, the ones I don't even know about yet.

GREMLINS 2- Okay, like what I said for Jurassic Park, this one actually did get a decent album release. However, it is out of print, and there were some very fun moments not included on the CD (one of my favorites being when the gremlin who grew wings attacks the Futtermans and then becomes a gargoyle after being pushed into the wet cement).

I might be wrong in saying this.... but I believe the music from that scene is actually in the Burbs score too. I know there is a cue that appears in both films. I think it's this one. If anyone knows what i'm talking about, please either confirm or correct me! bowdown

Stuff that already have full albums but NEED to be expanded to COMPLETE releases:

Hook

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Independence Day

Tomorrow Never Dies

Star Trek 2

Star Trek 3

Willow

The Rocketeer

Star Wars 1-3

Harry Potter 1-3

Stuff that has NEVER been officially released:

The Goonies

Back To The Future

Those are my holy grails.

- the COMPLETE Conan the Barbarian

Here, here!

Also, an expanded Starship Troopers would be nice.

A legit, expanded version of The Shadow.

Expanded Star Trek scores for II-X (not really a fan of IV but I know a lot of people are).

Hell, a few more of Ron Jones scores from The Next Generation would be nice... Dennis McCarthy's stuff too.

A score-only release of Back to the Future as well.

Black Sunday

Airplane!

Quo Vadis

The Devil And Daniel Webster

Innerspace

The High And The Mighty

Gremlins

The Sugarland Express

Lonely Are The Brave

The Little Prince & The 8 Headed Dragon

The List Of Adrian Messenger

Spartacus

The Birth of Japan

Expanded:

Starship Troopers

First Knight

Air Force One

Independence Day

Hook

Conan the Barbarian

Unreleased:

Back to the Future

The Right Stuff

and of course pretty much any Tadlow or Tribute re-rec is automatic for me...

Gremlins (1 not 2)

STTMP complete W alternates (I'm sorry the boot sounds like crap)

Family Plot

Dracula expanded

Hook Complete

Harry Potter 1,.2,3 Complete

SW Prequels Complete (less so because we have so much extra music now)

not by a longshot , and I'm speaking as someone who really wants it too.

But as an individual cue "Main Title /The Seance" is one of my top unreleased JW cues . Well in good stereo sound that is.

Family Plot, without a single shadow of doubt in my mind. That is the ultimate Holy Grail. I want it almost as much as I want ToD expanded.

Is it that good?

Apart from being a fantastic listen, it is also one of JW's most unique scores.

Well there 's a nice bouncy theme for chase scenes ,an ethereal (and superb) choir theme for supernatural stuff happening , and some darker sneaking around /suspense music ,all a bit on the comedic side

Thank you, king mark.

Perhaps I should have clarified. Overall, what is the genre of the music?

Soundtrack. :)

Overall, what is the genre of the music?

Soundtrack

Was this some sort of coincidence or what? ( And I never considered "Soundtrack" to be a genre of music.)

Was this some sort of coincidence or what? ( And I never considered "Soundtrack" to be a genre of music.)

No. I anticipated Koray would answer your question with "soundtrack" so I posted it first, ruining his plan. The smiley was there just to throw people off.

And I do consider soundtracks to be their own genre.

No. I anticipated Koray would answer your question with "soundtrack" so I posted it first, ruining his plan. The smiley was there just to throw people off.

And I do consider soundtracks to be their own genre.

"Film score" is a genre of music. "Soundtrack" is.. a very ambiguous term that could mean a great many different things.

I already have my holy grail: The Lord of the Rings: The Complete Recordings.

Having said that there are two soundtracks after this Indy one that I would love to have a complete score for.

Batman Begins(I've heard enough opinions about this already)

The tracks on the official soundtrack are jumbled up, and despite me having recut and rearranged the entire thing, there are still cues and tracks from the film that should have been included, such as the suit up before Rachel visits Arkham, and the monorail fight.

Jurassic Park

One of my favourite soundtracks/films, though has its flaws.

Again, like Batman, some of the tracks are mixed weirdly (for example My Friend, The Brachiosaurus starts with the Triceratops scene), and there are little bits of music that could be included. Take for instance the brief fanfare when the T-Rex appears at the end of the film?

My two cents...

So "My Friend, the Brachiosaurus" accompanies the scene with the sick triceratops? You unwittingly answered a question of mine. Thank you!

Ha, no problem. It's interesting how much film goes in between the two scenes (sick trike and the brachiosaur wake-up), and more importantly, how much music!

and there are little bits of music that could be included. Take for instance the brief fanfare when the T-Rex appears at the end of the film?
Uh, that music is just tracked in from Journey to the Island or one of the other tracks containing the main theme. The music in the OST is what Williams intended, but Spielberg decided it needed to be more heroic, as Rexy saves the day for our heroes.

My top two are: Back to the Future and Family Plot

I think it would be great to get Sugarland Express and Daddy-O, JWs first Spielberg score and JWs very first film score... if it even exists anymore.

My holiest of grails has always been and shall always be the music Ron Jones wrote for the TV show "Duck Tales." I've gotten a track or two from his website -- Soaring, I believe -- but other than the title song and end credits, all the other music remains covered up by SFX and dialogue. That's what got me interested in film/TV music in the first place, long before money exchanged hands to get the SW Anthology.

I've considered taking each episode (I got all but one, Beaglemania, from my college downloading days), extracting all of the audio, and sorting them by underlying musical cues. Then I would line them up to be musically in synch, and use the wide number of sources to mute out all the dialogue and SFX, and try to get one good musical piece from many. The amount of work that would be is overwhelming, hence why I never started such an endeavour.