The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Williamsfan301

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool interview. Less than a week now until we get to hear the score!

On a side-note, Amazon changed the cover image back to the snow version. Weird.

You can listen to some of it now (after an obligatory ad, of course).

http://entertainment.msn.com/video/?g=0eb85e39-4ae1-4556-8f34-56380ce9f311

It appears that the score is going to be mixed very low in the picture ;) , but nevertheless it sounds gorgeous. I can't wait...

Amazon has posted the samples from the score:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046CUJJA/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_jdp_Ni8Vmb0CAT2NN

They sound absolutely beautiful... (maybe except for portions of The Lone Island and Green Mist which I am not particularly fond of)

SAE shipped this already! Appears I'll get a score soon, for a change (normally I wait a few months with new scores, but couldn't resist with this one.)

Speaking of lazy photoshop jobs, I just noticed that the two Reepicheeps on the last poster are the same image flipped. They didn't even bother to correct for the ear-hat-feather-thing.

I've only listened to the new Narnia score once, but it was a bit as I expected: very enjoyable, but nothing as spectacular as Independence Day. A bit the same as The Musketeer, only that one had better themes. Actually I like the Narnia underscore a lot, but the themes are too derivative from previous Arnold themes and motifs. I've never mind the similar motifs before, but here it gets a bit in the way, as the actual main theme is quite derivative. I think Arnold's just way better nowadays at things like Sherlock, his new Shirley Bassey song, the James Bond scores, etc.

I never liked the theme from The Musketeer, I find it very generic.

I really want to listen to Made in Dagenham. It's very short soundtrack, but sounds quite enjoyable judging from the clips ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-In-Dagenham/dp/B004B39V2K/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291808470&sr=1-2-catcorr )

i didnt see anything on the soundtrack, so im assuming its going to be an edit (like Kung Fu Panda, How To Train Your Dragon etc.)

Me too, but I can't buy it. Is there anybody from the UK here that would want to help us out?

Is this a digital-only release? Because it sounds very interesting...

Karol

Me too, but I can't buy it. Is there anybody from the UK here that would want to help us out?

Is this a digital-only release? Because it sounds very interesting...

Karol

Nope, it is the old fashioned CD. I ordered mine today with the Conan re-recording and Star Trek V. Quite excited.

It's not that dissimilar to Harry Gregon-Williams' scores, really. If you use varied percussion, some ethnic intruments and throw in a chanting choir... Does it sound familiar? If you take these, add some Arnold brass, make it a bit more "traditional" in orchestration and there you have it.

I don't want to sound too negative. It is an enjoyable album and all. But I can barely remember anything about it. I have listened to it like 3 times already (and I'm starting my fourth one just right now).

Karol

Yeah, memorability is definitely an issue. If I play a track and by the end have forgotten it was playing, that's not a good sign.

I'm beginning to think maybe this was a tad overhyped for what it needed to score :)

David Arnold certainly showed far more restraint than I expected, but it's still a good score. He wisely uses Harry Gregson-Williams' main theme, but sparingly. I think it'll grow on me.

well I guess composers aren't allowed to write themes anymore

So how much you like a score nowadays comes down to the orchestrations

Composers are getting to write proper themes in TV way more than film these days.

This score is to David Arnold's output what Desplat's Potter score is the its series, Williams' KOTCS to its series or Elfman's Alice is to his output. They're all competent, but... not... quite... there. At least for the majority.

Karol

sorry KOTCS does not belong to that list!

while the others you mentioned are consistantly meh, KOTCS contains passsages of grandeur, and definately strong musical relation with the preceding films. (some shoehorned like the lc theme but still...)

It's always good to know that at least some people out here like KOTCS too.

And about Arnold's score, I haven't much to say yet... I have to listen it more, but so far I like that the orchestrations sound pure, but I don't get the inclusion of some weird ethnic rythms that have nothing to do with what's happening on screen.