The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Williamsfan301

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definately does seem a bit rushed. I somehow doubt that is the final cut. Otherwise, though, it's looking quite promising.

Also, based on the clip, they seem to have cast Eustace well.

All the kids were good in that scene. I remember thinking for the first movie that the two that are in this one were the best performances by the kids by a long shot. I never saw Prince Caspian.

Sounds like David Arnold! ;)

I know it's the kind of obvious thing to say, but then again it could have been "I want to pay tribute to the wonderful and timeless MV/RC tradition of blockbuster scoring" kind of music. Which, you have to admit, could happen in this particular case. And happens all too often these days anyway.

Karol

Wow, the first cue sample already sounds like a winner - rich and memorable. Yay, I waited for the old David Arnold sound for too long (and hope I don't regret saying this now - the wait for the CD will require all my patience ;-))

It DOES sound very good. It sounds fantasy-like and magical and there's some distinct David Arnold style action music too.

And despite all, David Arnold didn't shy away from making use of Harry Gregson-Williams' themes as heard in "High King and Queen of Narnia" either.

Good on him to remain true to his word, as per the earlier interview! :)

I do hope the music will somehow be available before the 5th of December, otherwise I'm going to have to wait for half a year. *slaps head*

...and, a more respectful treatment of the original franchise theme than in any of the later Harry Potters - he actually seemed to have liked using the theme (I still think Doyle hated to have to use Hedwig's Theme, for example).

It DOES sound very good. It sounds fantasy-like and magical and there's some distinct David Arnold style action music too.

And despite all, David Arnold didn't shy away from making use of Harry Gregson-Williams' themes as heard in "High King and Queen of Narnia" either.

Good on him to remain true to his word, as per the earlier interview! :)

I do hope the music will somehow be available before the 5th of December, otherwise I'm going to have to wait for half a year. *slaps head*

Oh, are you then going on tour again? I'm sure you'll find a music store in some harbor city if necessary ;-)

Oh, are you then going on tour again? I'm sure you'll find a music store in some harbor city if necessary ;-)
I hope so. They should have something in the vicinity of Fort Lauderdale, wouldn't you say?

But on the other hand, I reckon it gets harder and harder to find soundtrack albums for sale somewhere. :)

Omg these sound awesome! Despite the quality of the film itself, this score is far better already than Deathly Hallows! Then again I'm sure the tones of both films are every different, but I still wish Arnold had taken over as composer on Harry Potter. Here is proof why! He's still got it!

Though I had to chuckle at the clip of "Repicheep". Isn't that the love theme from Arnold's GODZILLA? Hahahaha. An Arnoldism!

I hope so. They should have something in the vicinity of Fort Lauderdale, wouldn't you say?

But on the other hand, I reckon it gets harder and harder to find soundtrack albums for sale somewhere. :)

True, but the Fort Lauderdale Bestbuy will probably still carry something of this popularity. And, you can order it online and have them deliver it to the store you'd like to go to. I did that before, worked well.

Actually Doyle said in one of the interviews that it was pleasure to use Hedwig's theme. Or privilege. Or something like that.

Karol

I still find this hard to believe. But maybe he just has a very different opinion on this matter, and really thought he did something interesting with the theme. Oh well, ancient history.

Though I had to chuckle at the clip of "Repicheep". Isn't that the love theme from Arnold's GODZILLA? Hahahaha. An Arnoldism!

That's exactly that theme from Godzilla. :) I wonder if he had forgotten it or had been forced to use that melody.

I like how he tackles Pirates of the Carribean in Duel.

I still find this hard to believe. But maybe he just has a very different opinion on this matter, and really thought he did something interesting with the theme. Oh well, ancient history.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "interesting". He took somebody else's material and transformed it so that it fits into his own style of writing. It's no different from using Dies Irae throughout the history of music where every single composed did something else to it. It doesn't matter if it's more "complex" or not. In my book it is more respectful than using cut&paste approach. And yes, more creative too.

I'm not saying it is the best he could do, but you must at least give himcredit for trying.

Karol

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "interesting". He took somebody else's material and transformed it so that it fits into his own style of writing. It's no different from using Dies Irae throughout the history of music where every single composed did something else to it. It doesn't matter if it's more "complex" or not. In my book it is more respectful than using cut&paste approach. And yes, more creative too.

I'm not saying it is the best he could do, but you must at least give himcredit for trying.

Karol

Paleo is making the classic fanboy error. Because he does not like Doyle's version of Hedwig, he suspects that Doyle must somehow have had a hidden agenda and tried to ruin the piece.

Quite sad.

True, but the Fort Lauderdale Bestbuy will probably still carry something of this popularity. And, you can order it online and have them deliver it to the store you'd like to go to. I did that before, worked well.
Definitly worth a try if need be. Cheers, mate. :)

That's exactly that theme from Godzilla. :) I wonder if he had forgotten it or had been forced to use that melody.
It does sound like Godzilla. I do like the theme, but it's still unfortunate.

Especially since Harry Gregson-Williams' theme for Reepicheep was pretty cool.

Might've not worked so well using that though, since it's more mousey than nobley.

one question about the film.

Didnt repicheep had his tail cut off in caspian?

in this movie he has it complete..

or maybe it is cut in this film...

Aslan granted him a new tail

oh. Forgot that :)

The movie came and went out of my mind pretty quick hehe.

God, these samples are way better than the whole Desplat Potter output.

Ah, so the old let-the-fans-give-been-there-done-that-stuff-they've-heard-1000-times-already-and they-gonna-jump-in-joy game has begun...

God, these samples are way better than the whole Desplat Potter output.

Ah, so the old let-the-fans-give-been-there-done-that-stuff-they've-heard-1000-times-already-and they-gonna-jump-in-joy game has begun...

Why so cynical?

Karol

Why so cynical?

Karol

Not in the slightest, i'm just reacting to the inevitable fact that praise for subject X often includes contempt for subject Y. It's almost a law. You should know it very well from various discussions here (i. e. Williams # 1 makes Goldsmith # 2).

Or to quote the Grinch: 'I have won...so others must have LOST!' (cue intense cackling)

And i find it a bit sad that people like this stuff for sounding like the gazillionst carbon copy of stuff they already have. I always thought familiarity breds contempt. Guess not.

That depends on how similar it is. Copy-paste is no good in my book, though stylistic similarities are not a bad thing.

Sure, originality is a good thing too, but then if you go too far in that direction, it becomes alienating again as well.

It's a tricky business. :)

I always thought familiarity breeds contempt. Guess not.

Interestingly enough, I've really never found that to be true about anything. Usually, familiarity breeds fondness. Occasionally it will breed apathy and sometimes skepticism. But I rarely see it breed contempt.

I always thought familiarity breeds contempt. Guess not.

Interestingly enough, I've really never found that to be true about anything. Usually, familiarity breeds fondness. Occasionally it will breed apathy and sometimes skepticism. But I rarely see it breed contempt.

That occurred to me, too, when i listened to Arnold's new concoction. :lol:

I will lend it an ear when it's fully released, so far it just sounds like what you'd expect: overly bombastic orchestration, no thematic depth, obnoxious action writing - but for some bizarre reason, such generic writing makes many filmmusic fans happy like clams. Arnold really is better with smaller-scaled or electronic stuff.

He did not, but he knew people would hate it that he changed the harmonization.

I quite like his different take on the harmonization, he manages to incorporate the theme into his own style.

Listened to the samples. Finally, a richly thematic and dense orchestral fantasy score that doesn't make you feel depressed like Shore's LOTR scores or the later Potter scores.

How does The Lord Of The Rings make you feel depressed ?:lol:

Well, they're not bad, but they can be so heavy-handed that I end up wanting to listen to something that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Sounding good. Sounding real good. :P

Hearing Gregson-Williams' theme again, brings warm feelings to my heart it does.

(Aside from tracks 3 and 17, it also seems to make an appearance in track 28, Sweet Water.)

But why no samples for the final two tracks? Deliberate antagonization I say! :lol: