When have you seen Williams in concert?

Taikomochi

Just curious.

I saw him in 2002 at the Blossom center near Cleveland, Ohio, I believe. He performed Hedwig's Theme, E.T., Across The Stars, and some other stuff I can't recall.

I wish I'd met him, though.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hollywood Bowl in 1998(?) He conducted the theme from The Lost World... brilliant.

Rochester, NY... Eastman School of Music gave him an honorary doctorate, and he did a very intimate little concert. I think that was probably in 2001. I should have gotten his autograph then... woulda probably been easy.

Saw him in concert twice. Both times at Ravinia outside of Chicago. The first time was a regular concert in the Boston Pops style - classical music for the first half, his music for the second. I remember they did a Porgy and Bess medley that featured a young violinist whose name escapes me at the moment. The second time he premiered the concert version of his Suite from The Phantom Menace. I remember there was no choir and the CSO had a hell of a time handling Duel of the Fates.

I've never had the pleasure to see him in concert or meet him.

Neither have I, and I think I'll have to learn to accept that I never will, either. ;)

Yeah, it's a sad thing. The only realistic way for me to see him is if I travel up to Boston for one of his concerts. That's a long way.

Neither have I, and I think I'll have to learn to accept that I never will, either. ;)

Yeah, it's a sad thing. The only realistic way for me to see him is if I travel up to Boston for one of his concerts. That's a long way.

Oh, it'd be a lot easier for you. You at least live in the States, whereas I'm from far far away. :D:lol:

I saw him in 2002 at the Blossom center near Cleveland, Ohio, I believe. He performed Hedwig's Theme, E.T., Across The Stars, and some other stuff I can't recall.

That was my first Williams concert!

I've seen him in concert (and had the privilege of briefly meeting him) three times: Clevelend 2002, Boston 2004, and Detroit 2008.

Don't think that way!! There's always hope!

I was at that concert also! Actually there were two Williams concerts in Blossom that year. The first was a showcase of his concert works, including Treesong (with Gil Shaham on violin), then the following night he came back and conducted the concert you described, of all his famous film score works. I went to both! :(

My first Williams concert was at the Barbacan Centre in London back in 1996, where he performed film score music plus the new work "Summon the Heroes". After the concert I met him backstage and he signed my Star Wars Anthology booklet. Unfortunately it was the night after my brother in law's stag party in Blackpool and so I had a terrible hangover all day. I'm only glad I didn't vomit all over the maestro! True story.

I saw Williams this year when he conducted the US National Marine Band in DC. Great evening. They played lots of interesting stuff (although it was bit weird to hear it without a proper strings section); the highlight was the imperial march, given as an encore....absolutely great.

I have seen pictures of John Williams conducting....Oh wait, no, I have not! What is wrong with me?

hehehehehe....what a temptation....

I'm only glad I didn't vomit all over the maestro! True story.

Ya ya ya, but tell us the good part...ya know...about the stripper at the Stag party. :(

Me, I'm afraid. Tequila has that effect... ;)

I hear ya....

Highly unlikely that I'll ever meet him, unless he comes to UK. :)

If he's got any sense, he'll stay away!

Hello, everyone. First of all, I'd like to say that it is so good to be able to comminicate with like-minded people about a subject that is dear to my heart-namely film music, especially that of John Williams. I have long-monitored this web site, but have only joined recently (I still don't know how to fill in the "personal details" bit of the site, but I guess I'll get there eventually). In response to this thread, I have had the absolute privilege of seeing Mr. Williams conduct his music 4 times. The first time was in June, 1982, at The Barbican Centre. It was an early evening concert (6:30 start) and the first half was The Planets, with "Jupiter" moved to the end to provide a more "rousing" finish to the siute. The second half consisted (if I remember rightly) of "CE3K" siute (including S.E. insertion), "Star Wars" suite, "Superman" main title-concert version (always a bone of contention for me, grrr!), "Adventures On Earth" from the (then) unreleased "E.T."., finishing up with "The Raiders March".

Next up, a Filmharmonic concert in January, 1986. This concert also had John Scott conducting his music, but, to be honest, I don't remember a lot about the concert. I did meet Jim Henson, though... Mr. Williams' last U.K. concerts were at the Barbican Centre on 1st-4th July, 1998. Set 1 was on the 1st and 2nd, and Set 2 was on the 3rd and 4th. I saw him on the 2nd and 4th. Set 1 consisted of of the more "popular" stuff ("Star Wars", "Raiders", "CE3K", "The Lost World", etc.). Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure, but Set 2 was of far more interest to the more-than-casual fan, as I am. As I remember, it consisted of, among others, "Celebrate Discovery", "Liberty Fanfare", "Schindler's List" suite, "Mission Theme", "The Cowboys" suite with Oliver Ford Davies as the narrator (including all that great "racetrack" music not on the original L.P.),"Arlington Cemetary", suite from "Far And Away", and a very well recieved encore of "Hell's Kitchen". Fantastic!!! Also, I managed to have my L.P. cover of "The Towering Inferno" signed by the man, himself, and, no, this is NOT for sale (neither is my Studio 3 gatefold L.P. of "Planet Of The Apes", autographed by Jerry Goldsmith at The Barbican in February, 1999 at his 70th birthday concert). To be honest, as he gets older, and seems to record almost exclusively in America, there seems little chance of him returning to the U.K. anytime soon ("Deathly Hallows", perhaps?), which is why I attend all these "tribute" concerts. While these are good, to paraphrase Chancellor Gorkon; "You haven't really experienced "Star Wars" until youv'e heard it played by The L.S.O. and conducted by its original composer"! Anyway, that's all my reminesces. I look forward to talking with everyone a lot more in the comming weeks.

...and a very well recieved encore of "Hell's Kitchen". Fantastic!!!

Wow, it was probably the only time he performed a piece from Sleepers live.

Thanks for your recollections Richard. I look forward to chat with you too.

May 1996 in Boston. I met him afterwards, he signed Disc 4 of the SW Anthology in gold ink. It looks awesome.

May 1999 in Boston. I met Itzahk Perlman during intermission, and met John Williams afterwards. John premiered his music from TPM. I got Perlman and Williams to sign my Schindler's List CD and Williams signed my TPM CD. I had Williams sign the insert under the CD in black ink, next to Darth Mauls ship. It looks awesome.

July 2003 in Philadelphia.

Saw him in concert twice. Both times at Ravinia outside of Chicago. The first time was a regular concert in the Boston Pops style - classical music for the first half, his music for the second. I remember they did a Porgy and Bess medley that featured a young violinist whose name escapes me at the moment. The second time he premiered the concert version of his Suite from The Phantom Menace. I remember there was no choir and the CSO had a hell of a time handling Duel of the Fates.

It was Joshua Bell!!! He was just coming on the scene as a soloist. Very impressive.

Highly unlikely that I'll ever meet him, unless he comes to UK. :)

If he's got any sense, he'll stay away!

Hello, everyone. First of all, I'd like to say that it is so good to be able to comminicate with like-minded people about a subject that is dear to my heart-namely film music, especially that of John Williams. I have long-monitored this web site, but have only joined recently (I still don't know how to fill in the "personal details" bit of the site, but I guess I'll get there eventually). In response to this thread, I have had the absolute privilege of seeing Mr. Williams conduct his music 4 times. The first time was in June, 1982, at The Barbican Centre. It was an early evening concert (6:30 start) and the first half was The Planets, with "Jupiter" moved to the end to provide a more "rousing" finish to the siute. The second half consisted (if I remember rightly) of "CE3K" siute (including S.E. insertion), "Star Wars" suite, "Superman" main title-concert version (always a bone of contention for me, grrr!), "Adventures On Earth" from the (then) unreleased "E.T."., finishing up with "The Raiders March".

Next up, a Filmharmonic concert in January, 1986. This concert also had John Scott conducting his music, but, to be honest, I don't remember a lot about the concert. I did meet Jim Henson, though... Mr. Williams' last U.K. concerts were at the Barbican Centre on 1st-4th July, 1998. Set 1 was on the 1st and 2nd, and Set 2 was on the 3rd and 4th. I saw him on the 2nd and 4th. Set 1 consisted of of the more "popular" stuff ("Star Wars", "Raiders", "CE3K", "The Lost World", etc.). Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure, but Set 2 was of far more interest to the more-than-casual fan, as I am. As I remember, it consisted of, among others, "Celebrate Discovery", "Liberty Fanfare", "Schindler's List" suite, "Mission Theme", "The Cowboys" suite with Oliver Ford Davies as the narrator (including all that great "racetrack" music not on the original L.P.),"Arlington Cemetary", suite from "Far And Away", and a very well recieved encore of "Hell's Kitchen". Fantastic!!! Also, I managed to have my L.P. cover of "The Towering Inferno" signed by the man, himself, and, no, this is NOT for sale (neither is my Studio 3 gatefold L.P. of "Planet Of The Apes", autographed by Jerry Goldsmith at The Barbican in February, 1999 at his 70th birthday concert). To be honest, as he gets older, and seems to record almost exclusively in America, there seems little chance of him returning to the U.K. anytime soon ("Deathly Hallows", perhaps?), which is why I attend all these "tribute" concerts. While these are good, to paraphrase Chancellor Gorkon; "You haven't really experienced "Star Wars" until youv'e heard it played by The L.S.O. and conducted by its original composer"! Anyway, that's all my reminesces. I look forward to talking with everyone a lot more in the comming weeks.

Welcome To The Board Richard

Pretty cool that JW was already performing Adventures On Earth before the movie was even out...

The first time was in June, 1982, at The Barbican Centre. It was an early evening concert (6:30 start) and the first half was The Planets, with "Jupiter" moved to the end to provide a more "rousing" finish to the siute.

You saw/heard JW conduct The Planets?!? :(:) I think I'd kill for that.

• 1 month later...

In reply to Indy IV's question; "where were you sitting?"; at the '82 Barbican concert, I was sitting one third of the way back from the stage slightly to the left as you look from the stage. The '86 conceert was at The Royal Albert Hall, and I was sitting very high up at the back. For the '98 Barbican concerts, I managed to bag the same seat for both concerts; right in the middle of row D, in the stalls, and about ten feet away from the man himself.