Indiana Jones trilogy - Cue Titles and fan-made recordings

Jay

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am new to this forum. Thanks for the valuable information!

I am currently in the process of type setting the complete ROTLA score.

I am almost done with the transcript of the score into Dorico (new notation software by Steinberg). Page layout would be the next step. Does someone here knows if the "1m3 insert" and "End Credits Part 2" have been discovered in the meantime. (Even that I fear, the first one was quickly written down during the recording session and the percussion solo is more or less an improvisation. Regarding the missing Raider's march I could imagine that this part of the score was taken from the original score and send to the publisher that created a printed version of it and the sheets never returned to the original score.)

Or has someone already created a midi pdf version from them? If nothing is there, I will try to write the rest down by listing to the tracks.

If there is interest here, I could later offer my results to this forum. But I need probably a month or more for reviewing the complete score for copy errors, but ignore the orchestrator errors. :-)

I doubt 1M3 Insert was written down, its just a little loop of existing stuff.  That's just a fan-made reel/part and name anyway, we have no idea on earth what they actually called that recording internally.

The handwritten End Credits Part 2 has never leaked, but there's no reason to assume it is any different from the printed edition of the Raiders March

Well, at least the instrumentation differs such, that the complete score is written for 6 french horns and four trombones and the printed version just requires 4 horns and 3 trombones (plus an optional 4th one.) The printed instrumentation seems to me a reduced one to more common orchestras. 

Looking at the cue lists and seeing that there's quite a few unknown titles I decided to check the GEMA repertoire and found these:

Temple of Doom

Drums on the Bridge [11m3?]

The Scroll - Revised [4m2?]

The Last Crusade

The Breath of God [13m1?]

Cocktail Source

Dirigible Piano Source [8m4/6?]

Don't Call Me Junior [6m3?]

Don't Call Me Junior - New Beginning [6m3?]

German Drums [8m2?]

Room in Flames - Insert #1 [7m2?]

Room in Flames - Insert #2 [7m2?]

Room in Flames - Insert #3 [7m2?]

Shot Down - Final Ending [9m2?]

Shot Down - New Ending [9m2?]

To the Boats - Intro [5m3?]

Young Indy

Young Indy - Insert

Young Indy - Sweetener

These were listed among titles that are known from the sheets so are likely original.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone notice that in Last Crusade when Indy falls into the Lion cart when  he picks up the whip there is a horn that holds longer in the film than the album version. Also the cocktail source heard in Donovan's apartment and briefly when they board the Zeppelin is the Imperial march from Empire Strikes Back.  So the only source music that has not been identified is the Venice source heard when Indy and Elsa pop out of the sewer cover. 

• 2 years later...

This thread is long dead but I didn't want to start a separate topic, but the Canyon of the Crescent Moon film insert: is that an insert or is it tracked in from Father's Study? Because both of those parts sound very similar, and I'm not sure which it is.

29 minutes ago, Brando said:

This thread is long dead but I didn't want to start a separate topic, but the Canyon of the Crescent Moon film insert: is that an insert or is it tracked in from Father's Study? Because both of those parts sound very similar, and I'm not sure which it is.

It sounds identical to Father's Study. It even has the same music from Marcus mentioning Venice in the earlier scene (which I can't imagine Williams porting across for a totally unrelated film insert).

Not sure where the prominent gong comes from though (immediately following the tracked excerpt of Father's Study).

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

It s/ounds identical to Father's Study. It even has the same music from Marcus mentioning Venice in the earlier scene (which I can't imagine Williams porting across for a totally unrelated film insert).

Not sure where the prominent gong comes from though (immediately following the tracked excerpt of Father's Study).

Ah, okay. Because every time I listen to Father's Study I think "is this not also featured in Canyon of the Crescent Moon?," but I suppose they could be two different cues referencing the Grail Theme.

9 hours ago, Brando said:

Ah, okay. Because every time I listen to Father's Study I think "is this not also featured in Canyon of the Crescent Moon?," but I suppose they could be two different cues referencing the Grail Theme.

You might have misunderstood. The point I was making was that it was just Father's Study tracked over Williams' intended cue. Literally the same recording.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

You might have misunderstood. The point I was making was that it was just Father's Study tracked over Williams' intended cue. Literally the same recording.

Ohhhhh. I did misunderstand, cause at first you made it seem like it wasn’t tracked then in the second paragraph it was tracked, so I was a little confused, but I knew they both sounded really similar so I was betting on it being tracked in from there. Thanks!

Question about this cue from the “more music” cd in the Concord box set. The title seems to reflect the scene where Marcus gets loaded up in the truck. But this must have been music that was dropped from the final film as that scene only has the quick burst of the German theme when Sallah can’t catch the truck in time. But here there’s a slow March statement of the German theme that I believe we hear when Indy and Henry are first tied up by Col. Vogel followed by a statement of the “Keeping up w/the Joneses” theme.

Then it flows into the music that plays after Henry Sr. slaps Indy and they decide to head off to Berlin.

Is this track essentially just a suite of various short cues? 

0:00-0:48 = 6M5 The Capture Of Marcus

0:48-end = 7M4/8M1 To Berlin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FKIOANG63UjuilEUY5f9bLFIXOVVmc41rxM93zCJAbI/#gid=2

Most of "The Capture of Marcus" was dialed out in the final film

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

0:00-0:48 = 6M5 The Capture Of Marcus

0:48-end = 7M4/8M1 To Berlin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FKIOANG63UjuilEUY5f9bLFIXOVVmc41rxM93zCJAbI/#gid=2

Great spreadsheet!

Isn't 6m4 Market Source available on one of the bootlegs though? No idea which one it's classified under; never really understood the differences.

I always forget how many inserts TLC has too! Will make a great expansion someday.

That one only leaked as an mp3 AFAIK, while the others were included on common "bootleg CDs" (that were really burned CDRs people traded by mail)

By a 2021 perspective, all the leaked cues are clearly from the same source (we'd call it a "session leak" in modern vernacular) but just got distributed in different portions in different ways (with different levels of noise reduction applied) in the early days of the internet

I don't remember for which bootleg is which now in that old google doc, but one of them would be the "Volume 2" bootleg and the other looks like some double-disc boot that I don't recall anything about right now

Here's another trip down memory lane

http://indianajonesmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/indiana-jones-and-last-crusade-1989.html

http://indianajonesmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/missing-music.html

One questions about Last Crusade.... in the film, the beginning of "Meeting Hitler" (rather, the first section of the cue that isn't dialed out) sounds.... bad. You can hear the music twice at the same time, and they're not even in sync! Suddenly, it sounds good once the blimp appear on screen. 

Why is it that? And why hasn't it been corrected?

Probably an error making modern digital editions and it wasn't like that in the theater, I'd guess

@Jayquestion about Temple of Doom: after The Walls Come Down, when the trio is in the red cavern before walking to the balcony above the Temple, there's some drums and light chanting and a final beat before the main chorus begins. Where is this from? It sounds like 1:20-1:32 from The Temple of Doom, but i wanted to make sure, and thought this would be the place to ask.

2 hours ago, Falco said:

Yeah, it is from Temple of Doom.

I figured that, it seems they mixed a few parts for that specific part of the beginning of the film mix. I've always wondered why they never used the haunting choir in the very beginning of the track for anywhere in the film?

20 hours ago, Falco said:

Yeah, it is from Temple of Doom.

I think the final chime before the choir begins hasn't been released yet. Unless it was tracked in from somewhere else, I don't hear it in the track. Maybe that's apart of the full version that hasn't been released yet, but who knows.

4 hours ago, Falco said:

There is some of it only available in the film audio and the iso leak.

Yeah, I've got it from the film audio. Was there more available from the iso leak? I was only given a few cues, but nothing to do with the Sacrifice scenes, unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, Falco said:

Just the tail end when the thuggee are filing out of the room

Dang! The rip of that isn't too bad though, so I'm not missing much

2 minutes ago, Falco said:

Don't forget that the 4K atmos track might yield a cleaner rip

True, however, unless someone sends me a rip of it, I won't be getting this 4K set because I'm thinking of waiting to see if they'll do it again when the 5th one comes out, and hopefully they'll release the infamous deleted scenes we've been missing for almost 40 years now, which would be nice to see. Plus I wouldn't be able to rip a 4K disc anyways :(

4 minutes ago, Brando said:

True, however, unless someone sends me a rip of it, I won't be getting this 4K set because I'm thinking of waiting to see if they'll do it again when the 5th one comes out, and hopefully they'll release the infamous deleted scenes we've been missing for almost 40 years now, which would be nice to see. Plus I wouldn't be able to rip a 4K disc anyways :(

Sadly I think if they didn't take this opportunity to do it, they never will. Baffling omission.

Spielberg seems to really be against deleted scenes (except for a few occasions) and commentary tracks for whatever reason. I wonder what kinds of things we'll get... in the future

On 4/6/2021 at 12:01 AM, Jay said:

Spielberg seems to really be against deleted scenes (except for a few occasions) and commentary tracks for whatever reason. I wonder what kinds of things we'll get... in the future

I’ve tried looking it up before but to no avail, but I’m pretty certain he is against them. The Jurassic Park trilogy(he didn’t direct the 3rd one but it still has a bunch), Hook, and the Indy franchise have a treasure trove of deleted scenes just going to waste in a vault somewhere. I don’t get why you wouldn’t want to release them, it hurts no one. Surprisingly Jaws has deleted that have been released, including a few cut away shots that haven’t been released on the bonus features section but I had a torrent once years ago of an old tv broadcast of the movie, where a few shots had been added in I didn’t know about. 

I think Spielberg just has the mindset of "the movie is the movie" and isn't interested in people getting to see "how the sausage was made".  I would suspect every Behind The Scenes stuff we get for any of his films all have to be approved by him and he'll have them edit out whatever he doesn't want to be included

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I think Spielberg just has the mindset of "the movie is the movie" and isn't interested in people getting to see "how the sausage was made".  I would suspect every Behind The Scenes stuff we get for any of his films all have to be approved by him and he'll have them edit out whatever he doesn't want to be included

Unfortunately, thats probably how it is. Which really sucks because an extended version of Hook would be amazing and be able to flesh everything out more.

I've always wanted to ask this, but kept forgetting to, but is there a story behind the weird bang during the End Credits of Temple of Doom? Only in the film of course, but I've always been confused at the sound of it. Not sure if the link isn't working for just me, but the time stamp I'm referring to is at 3:44 in this video https://youtu.be/lJ3h2wNSGfs

On 4/9/2021 at 8:04 PM, Brando said:

I've always wanted to ask this, but kept forgetting to, but is there a story behind the weird bang during the End Credits of Temple of Doom? Only in the film of course, but I've always been confused at the sound of it. Not sure if the link isn't working for just me, but the time stamp I'm referring to is at 3:44 in this video https://youtu.be/lJ3h2wNSGfs

It's an early Hans Zimmer BWAAAAM.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, I can't believe I never knew about that! How curious

It's odd isn't it? Every time I watch the movie and continue listening to the End Credits, I'm always confused at how that ended up in there. Maybe it wasn't a mistake and John thought it sounded unique so he left it in, that's all I can think of.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I can hear it on the album as well, it's just shorter/quieter. 

Actually, now that you said that, I can hear it as well. I wonder if it was intentional?

Hey @Jay  are the actual cue titles for KOCS the ones in your spreadsheet or the titles in this list?

1m1 Elvis and the Prairie Dog
1m3 Tie Shoes
1m4 Irina Spalov
1m5 Revisiting the Ark
2m7 Indie Fight Back
2m8 Indie's Great Escape
2m9 Giving the Russians the Slip
2m11 Prairie Dog and Nuclear Cloud
2m12 That's Her
2m15 It's Just a Story Kid
2m17 A Knife at a Gunfight
2m19 A Whirl Through Academe
3m20 The Trip to Akator
3m21 Homage A Maxie
3m23 Reading the Wall
3m24 I Think I Heard Something
3m25 Graveside Fight
3m26 Magic Doors and Scorpions
3m27
4m30 Not Made By Human Hands
4m32 Staring Down the Skull
4m33 Ideogram
4m34 Sleeping River Map
4m35 Quick Step In Quicksand
4m36 Grab that Snake
4m37 We're Not Dead Yet
5m38 Andy's Full Nelson
5m40 Mike Kahn Cooks
5m41 Ants
5m42 Marion's Best Idea
5m43 OX Marks the Spot
6m44 Shawn Murphy and the Mad Mayans
6m45 The City of Gold
6m46 Stepping Stones
6m57 This Way, Ramiro!
6m48 Sanctum Santorum
6m49 Marty Cohen's Hidden Treasure
6m50 Irena's Long Goodbye
7m53 Kathy Kennedy's Great Flying Machine
7m54 Stick Around Kid
7m55 George Might Be Next
7m56 Crystal Skull End Credits
7m56New Ending Raider's March

Those you listed (from that blog site) are indeed the real cue names - that actually just came up in this JWFan exchange

That google doc you linked to is ancient history, from before we knew the real names.  I must have put it in my google doc post by mistake