Indiana Jones trilogy - Cue Titles and fan-made recordings

Jay

18 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

There’s still quite a few titles missing from that list. I believe this should be complete:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) Cue List

Composed by John Williams

Source: Original full scores and sketches

1M1 Elvis and the Prairie Dog

1M3 Tie Shoes

1M3 Rev. - Tie Shoes

1M4 Irena Spalkov

1M4 Rev. - Irena Spalkov

1M4 New Rev. - Irena Spalkov

1M5 Revisiting the Ark

1M5R Mark Graham Revisits The Ark

1M5B Gun Powder

2M6 Unpacking

2M7 Indie Fight Back

2M8 Indie's Great Escape

2M8B A Ride Down Ben Burtt Boulevard

2M8C Indie Versus the Russian

2M9 Giving the Russians the Slip

2M11 Prairie Dog and Nuclear Cloud

3M12 [sic] That’s Her

2M12 That's Her

2M12B Indy’s Posh House

2M13 Remembering Henry Sr.

2M13 Rev. - Remembering Henry Sr. & Leaving Campus

2M15 [Version 1] - It's Just a Story Kid

2M15 Version 2 - It’s Just a Story Kid

2M17 A Knife at a Gunfight

2M19 A Whirl Through Academe

3M20 The Trip to Akator

3M20 Rev. - The Trip To Peru

3M21 Homage A Maxie [source]

3M23 Reading the Wall

3M24 I Think I Heard Something

3M25 Graveside Fight

3M26 Magic Doors and Scorpions

3M26B Not a Dead End

3M27 [untitled]

3M27F Telling The Story

3M27B What Is This Thing?

3M27B Rev. - What Is This Thing?

M28 Version 1 - Russians Reappear

M28 Version 2 - Russians Reappear

3M28 Rev. - Hello Jonesy

4M30 Not Made By Human Hands

4M32 Staring Down the Skull

4M32 Version 2

4M32 Version 3

4M33 Ideograms

4M34 Sleeping River Map

4M35 Quick Step In Quicksand

4M36 Grab that Snake

4M37 We're Not Dead Yet

5M38 Andy's Full Nelson

5M38 [Insert] - Legs

5M39 Irina’s Great Blade

5M39 Insert #1

5M39 Insert #2

5M40 Mike Kahn Cooks

5M40R [untitled]

5M41 Ants

5M42 Marion's Best Idea

5M42 Alt. Ending

5M43 OX Marks the Spot

5M43A It Must Be Returned

6M44 Shawn Murphy and the Mad Mayans

6M45 The City of Gold

6M45 Alt. Beginning

6M46 Stepping Stones

6M47 This Way, Ramiro!

6M47R This Way, Ramiro!

6M48 Sanctum Santorum

6M49 Marty Cohen's Hidden Treasure

6M50 Irena's Long Goodbye
6M50 Insert

6M50 New [untitled]

7M53 Kathy Kennedy's Great Flying Machine

7M53 Extension

7M54 Stick Around Kid

7M54R Stick Around Kid

7M55 George Might Be Next

7M56 Crystal Skull End Credits

7M56 New Ending - Raider's March

Henry Jones, Jr. [early, apparently unrecorded version of “The Adventures of Mutt”]

Swashbuckler [the revised, recorded version of “The Adventures of Mutt”]

The Thirteen Visitors [“Call of the Crystal”]

Were these written by John Williams or Michael Giacchino?

15 minutes ago, Brando said:

Were these written by John Williams or Michael Giacchino?

Temple of Doom: Once in a Vial.

43 minutes ago, Falco said:

Temple of Doom: Once in a Vial.

I love his play on words, but I'm kinda confused on why the cue lists has a bunch of the top crew members names? Was it just to be funny?

1 hour ago, Brando said:

I love his play on words, but I'm kinda confused on why the cue lists has a bunch of the top crew members names? Was it just to be funny?

Well, George was next... ;)

Not like we needed any more evidence about the ownership of these scores, but even the unreleased and unused inserts have reverted to Disney Music now:

image.png

I never realised Room In Flames had 3 inserts :o

IIRC we don't know what they all are because the sheet music only leaked for one of them and none of them were used in the film.  You can hear/see Faleel's mockup of the one we have sheets for here

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

IIRC we don't know what they all are because the sheet music only leaked for one of them and none of them were used in the film.  You can hear/see Faleel's mockup of the one we have sheets for here

Since someone brought up inserts, I have a question about those: how are they created? And when I say that, I mean who’s idea is it to ask JW to go re-record something else, either something stupid small(On the Tank 2nd insert(when Indy shoots 3 Nazis)versus a big insert(Imperial March section at the end of AOTC)). And I know every case is different, but is there a general reason why he’s asked to make inserts?

Yeah it would just be because Spielberg (or any other director, maybe even a high-ranking producer on certain films) had a certain musical approach in mind, and JW didn't deliver exactly what they wanted for that moment.

Usually the majority of the cue still works and they just patch up the small section that doesn't land as intended. The ending of 6m2 Discussing the Book vs the revised insert is a perfect example of Spielberg and Williams having totally divergent musical interpretations for how to close that scene. I would say Williams was totally off the mark with that first approach, but for all we know he was told to score that moment dramatically/seriously by Spielberg during the spotting sessions (and they only realised it was the wrong approach after hearing it).

That makes sense. I wonder if they give him a reason when they ask him. Kind of like how when they rearranged the ending of The Last Crusade, I think in the video on the dvd, George was the one saying they would edit it for the stronger section of the Raiders March as they exited the Canyon.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure about this but I thought I'd ask. I started a project last week of making tracks based off of the Indy trailers, and one particular spot is giving me some trouble. Each trailer tends to use part of the Raiders March and a chunk of the Desert Chase. At the end of the Temple of Doom trailer, we hear the buildup as Indy forces the Jeep over the cliffside(from Desert Chase). As the trailer ends, there's a final bang and it fades out. My question is, does anyone recognize where it comes from? Its definitely not from that same section from Desert Chase. The beat I'm talking about is at about 1:17 in the video. 

1 hour ago, Brando said:

I wasn't sure about this but I thought I'd ask. I started a project last week of making tracks based off of the Indy trailers, and one particular spot is giving me some trouble. Each trailer tends to use part of the Raiders March and a chunk of the Desert Chase. At the end of the Temple of Doom trailer, we hear the buildup as Indy forces the Jeep over the cliffside(from Desert Chase). As the trailer ends, there's a final bang and it fades out. My question is, does anyone recognize where it comes from? Its definitely not from that same section from Desert Chase. The beat I'm talking about is at about 1:17 in the video. 

I suspect they took one of the orchestral hits from 4:30-4:39 from Desert Chase (on the ost version- the truncated one) That’s my guess at least.  

orrrr maybe one of the stabbing horn blasts at 4:59?

BTW- could you IMAGINE a franchise hero today with a teaser trailer with its last shot being a dude slowly catching on fire? I’d like to see Disney try THAT on Indy 5;)

3 hours ago, WampaRat said:

I suspect they took one of the orchestral hits from 4:30-4:39 from Desert Chase (on the ost version- the truncated one) That’s my guess at least.  

orrrr maybe one of the stabbing horn blasts at 4:59?

BTW- could you IMAGINE a franchise hero today with a teaser trailer with its last shot being a dude slowly catching on fire? I’d like to see Disney try THAT on Indy 5;)

I remember watching the trailer as a kid(was born in '99 but i think i first saw Doom when i was 7 or 8 and i knew then which one was my favorite), and the fact that it ends on a cliffhanger is wild. You don't see fire, so without any prior knowledge you're left to wonder why there's a guy in a cage being lowered into a mysterious cavern. It's such a great trailer because it leaves you wondering what the heck is going on. Short and sweet.

3 hours ago, Falco said:

It almost sounds like the climax of Map Room Dawn

That was my second guess as well.

I think I've got it. I believe its the blast at 5:03 on the short version of Desert Chase. Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Speaking of Cue titles...I just learnt that "Keeping up with the Joneses" and "Eye to Eye" are english idioms!

:D

I had to scroll down to this definition, which was the third suggestion because the first two were confusing.

52EE87D3-0EE3-4B87-B592-E9FF75F78B55.png

• 1 month later...

To those of you who also have a copy of the handwritten score of "The Last Crusade", I always wondered if its "normal" that the pages of the cues 10m3/11m1 "On the Tank" and 11m4/12m1 "Canyon of the Crescent Moon" are half blank? Or is it just an issue with my copy?

I think whoever scanned the paper copy screwed up, and all that's ever leaked is that screwed up scan

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jay said:

Away We Go seems to be the original name, with the unnumbered Indiana Jones On The Train being the concert piece he's neve recorded for an album, that combines 1M3, 1M4/2M1X, and the first half of 1M4/2M1 together with a new ending. 

Yep, now I notice Indiana Jones On The Train opens with a brief pickup that’s not part of the 1M3 cue, but which is heard in that linked video.

13 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Yep, now I notice Indiana Jones On The Train opens with a brief pickup that’s not part of the 1M3 cue, but which is heard in that linked video.

It sounds more like the beginning of 1m3 than the actual 2m1 insert.  Like they just worked that out in rehearsals instead of using the actual sheet music for the insert.

He's talking about the opening of 1M3, when Indy runs out of the cave. There's an opening note in the concert version (heard in the above video at 6:31) that isn't in the film cue. 

The insert you're referring to is a different piece of music that goes in between 1M3 and 1M4.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know where else to ask this, but has anyone done a breakdown of which cues are which on the original Raiders OST? I would like to rebuild it using the DCC release I have, just for funsies.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:19 AM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Got it.  (I assumed the discussion was about the lion car insert...  I got confused by the word "pickup")

Is this referring to the moment he reaches down to grab the Cross? Is that an insert?

13 minutes ago, Brando said:

Is this referring to the moment he reaches down to grab the Cross? Is that an insert?

There is an insert yes, it's the statement of the Young Indy motif right after he falls down into the train car, it ends right before the appearance of the Cross motif

On 31/03/2023 at 10:10 PM, A Farewell to Kings said:

There is an insert yes, it's the statement of the Young Indy motif right after he falls down into the train car, it ends right before the appearance of the Cross motif

Ok, so technically, that's a sweetener rather than an insert, since it plays on top of the original cue rather than entirely replacing a section of it.

On 31/03/2023 at 10:10 PM, A Farewell to Kings said:

No that I know, I'm specifically thinking of the moment here during the lion car when he starts using the whip, where the note is held for a moment. It's definitely not on the album.

11 minutes ago, Brando said:

No that I know, I'm specifically thinking of the moment here during the lion car when he starts using the whip, where the note is held for a moment. It's definitely not on the album.

I know, that's the end of the insert.

32 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

I know, that's the end of the insert.

It is? I thought the sweetener was just the circus organ overlay when he falls in and that was it.

4 minutes ago, Brando said:

It is? I thought the sweetener was just the circus organ overlay when he falls in and that was it.

I think it's a similar situation to the Map Insert from TOD.

7 hours ago, Brando said:

The Concord set gives us the full original ending of 1M3 Away We Go! and full original opening of 1M4/2M1 Young Indy in the first track with no inserts or sweeteners or anything added in at all.  Around the 8:11 timestamp.

In the final film, the whole 1M3Away We Go! ending -> 1M4/2M1 Young Indy beginning has a lot more going on than one extra instrument line.  There's a whole insert cue playing there, that got titled 1M4/2M1x Sweetener.

image.png

5 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

From what I can tell, that's not an organ when he falls in and parts his hair, but woodwinds (clarinet and oboe?  @BrotherSound ? )

I only used the word organ because I know the first overlay uses an organ and I thought they sounded similar, so that was my bad.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

There's a whole insert cue playing there, that got titled 1M4/2M1x Sweetener.

Ohhhhhhhh I didn't realize the entire cue was an insert, I thought there was just a handful of extra stuff added into the pre-existing cue. Cool info.

8 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

From what I can tell, that's not an organ when he falls in and parts his hair, but woodwinds (clarinet and oboe?  @BrotherSound ? )

The post immediately before yours literally shows the oboe/English Horn/clarinet part....

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Ohhhhhhhh I didn't realize the entire cue was an insert, I thought there was just a handful of extra stuff added into the pre-existing cue. Cool info.

What do you mean by "entire cue"?  The Sweetener is very short, about 9 seconds I think.  But it is largely the same as the original opening with the addition of the Young Indy theme, for sure

What is the last 20ish seconds of To Berlin on the Concorde album? Is that apart of the original cue or something else? Cause in the film that section is dropped as Koeniggraetzer March begins to fade in.

3 minutes ago, Brando said:

What is the last 20ish seconds of To Berlin on the Concorde album? Is that apart of the original cue or something else? Cause in the film that section is dropped as Koeniggraetzer March begins to fade in.

AFAIK there was a deleted scene there IIRC.