Indiana Jones trilogy - Cue Titles and fan-made recordings

Jay

3m2 is the source music in the scene. 3m2a is john william's cue that plays over it

Of course. Thank you.

Do we have the sheet music for that source music? If not, is it indicated on any cue sheets, or are you making an educated (and obviously correct) guess?

It was pre-existing music, not something Williams wrote or recorded for the film

And this was verified by a cue sheet - or your own guess?

I know "just a gigolo" is listed in the credits, but I'm not sure if this was Donovan's party, or one of the Zepplin cues. How would we figure out which ones Williams composed? This also makes me curious about the "Venice Plaza" music, right before the boat chase.

Well, I assumed it wasn't Williams. I suppose I could be wrong. Just a gigolo is 5m5, the music that plays on Elsa's record player

The source music before the boat chase is 5m2

Well, I assumed it wasn't Williams. I suppose I could be wrong. Just a gigolo is 5m5, the music that plays on Elsa's record player

The source music before the boat chase is 5m2

BTW, do you not have the sheet music? I can send it to you. I thought you already had it.

"Just a gigolo" is one of the piano source cues (I'm guessing Donovan's party). Elsa's victrola plays "sweet little headache".

I think if the other piano cues were written by someone else, they would be listed in the end credits, like the others.

Do we know if Williams wrote 5m2?

Oh right, I mixed up Just a gigolo and sweet little headache, my bad

The only source music in the sheet music is market source and palace source (and the koenigratzer march). Anything else we have to guess if williams wrote it or not

Do we have the music that's used in the tank sequence from TLC when Indy shoots three guys with one bullet? It's a sweet little ditty that adds comedy to the situation, and then it gets back into the tank music. I'm not sure I'd actually want to break the nice cut/paste job I received to put it in there, just wondering is all.

Oh, and if you ever get around to the entire "a child returns", and you want to continue, feel free to go right ahead and try "fortune and glory". :P

"A Child Returns" IS "Fortune And Glory"...

OK I finally got around to doing the entire cue of "The Child Returns" (with the Alternate intro).

I didn't really have too much time to tweak the recording, so the strings are a little choppy (for my taste), and some of the balance is a little off, but overall it's a pretty interesting demo.

Have fun!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=35XYAB34

Holy cow!!

Jeremy, that was really, REALLY well done! In fact, I think I prefer it to the sound-effect-riddled dvd rip!

VERY well done!

Anybody who can't play apple lossless, here's an mp3 version:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUAH0T9T

Holy cow!!

Jeremy, that was really, REALLY well done! In fact, I think I prefer it to the sound-effect-riddled dvd rip!

VERY well done!

Anybody who can't play apple lossless, here's an mp3 version:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUAH0T9T

Thanks Jason...I don't think the synth demos will ever be "better" than an actual performance (in fact that's a whole other thread right now!), but it's at least interested to hear the music with no sound effects or extreme hiss.

I may tinker with it more tomorrow and try to get the strings to sound better.

Thanks for putting up the MP3 link.

Amazing work Jeremy!

I also prefer this to the DVD rip. I'm very impressed by your skills and the results! Wonderful!

Can't wait to hear you tackle more Temple of Doom or even some of the other Last Crusade tracks ( 9m2 and it's variations? :P )

Bravo!

on another note, What's the story with the "floors on fire" inserts? Were they added to accommodate the extended segment when the curtains catch fire (which occurs differently in the film than the album)? Any idea what these cues sound like?

Hey gang, I've updated the first post in this thread to contain links to everyone's wonderful music files in the thread, and cleaned up a lot of the sheet music information. Check it out!

What's the story with the "floors on fire" inserts? Were they added to accommodate the extended segment when the curtains catch fire (which occurs differently in the film than the album)? Any idea what these cues sound like?

I thought the cue for that scene ("Alarm!") has just been edited around because the scenes had?

Both inserts are heard in the film...one is a "Scherzo" variant. The other...can't remember what it sounds like. Neither is very long or groundbreaking, though. And unfortunately, the DVD rips are not even clean enough for me to tolerate them...and that may be saying something.

We don't have the sheet music for Insert #1. It's possible whatever idea they had for that one was scrapped when they completely reshuffled the cue around

Insert #2 is just one sustained note followed by a stinger

Interesting. I'll have to watch the film to see those. Datameister, do you have time's for where they appear on the DVD?

And perhaps the missing "insert 1" is the Scherzo variant you're referring to?

And thanks for organizing the fan-created cues on the main page Jason! Do we still have "exchange of glances" anywhere?

I always thought that performance of the sherzo theme was just tracked from later in the cue. It seems like when Williams scored the film the cutaway to the nazis happened earlier in the scene than it does now

Unfortunately, I don't have the times for those, but they should be pretty apparent if you listen to the DVD rip of that scene and if you're familiar with the cue as presented on the soundtrack.

Awesome. Are you playing a game of dodgeball or are you watching the mildly-hilarious Ben Stiller / Vince Vaughn comedy?

I'll take a look at "Alarm" on DVD to see if I can spot the insert(s).

Hey -

Here's something I was wondering. Can anyone do a high quality mock-up of the Timpani overdub (8m2) from LC?

I have the march arranged like it is in the film, but I don't like the rear channel rip. It wouldn't be too hard to make a version of the timpani overdub that I can lay over the snare drums, would it?

Thanks in advance to anyone that has the time and talent. :)

Hey -

Here's something I was wondering. Can anyone do a high quality mock-up of the Timpani overdub (8m2) from LC?

I have the march arranged like it is in the film, but I don't like the rear channel rip. It wouldn't be too hard to make a version of the timpani overdub that I can lay over the snare drums, would it?

Thanks in advance to anyone that has the time and talent. :)

I'll do it within a couple days if you send the link.

Good news, guys. I've finished transcribing the Königgrätzer timpani overdub, and it's sounding better than I expected when mixed with the bootleg of the march itself. Now I just have to get the tempo right, and then I'll upload it for y'all.

EDIT: Here it is! My very own transcription of the Königgrätzer Marsch timpani overdub, created in Finale 2008, using Garritan. It runs longer than the extended percussion passage at the end of the bootleg, which means one of them was looped for the film version - or some was omitted from the bootleg. Anyway, the tempo matches up with my bootleg copy, which is slightly different from the one currently in the editing package, so you might need to adjust the tempo slightly...but not much. (For reference, the current tempo is 124 bpm.)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z1DUGTQO

EDIT 2: And I just checked it against the version in the editing package, and it still works. You just have to cut out a few seconds of silence here and there, and it syncs up well enough. No need for speed changes or anything.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone started 10m1 Insert 3 or 10m1 Insert A from The Last Crusade? How about 13m2 Alternate Insert from Hook?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone started 10m1 Insert 3 or 10m1 Insert A from The Last Crusade? How about 13m2 Alternate Insert from Hook?

Do we know what those cues are? I thought they were just the "Raiders Fanfare 1 & 2" from the bootleg and the "Nazi Theme" Insert for when Vogel descends into the tank. But now, looking at your website, it seems those three inserts were already accounted for. What are these new inserts?

"10m1 Insert 3 and Insert A are unreleased and unused in the film"

Ah, I see. So we have no idea, musically, what they sound like...

Perhaps more "Raiders March" stuff?

Perhaps more "Nazi" stuff?

Perhaps an unused segment of "birds of charlamagne" that was misplaced?

Ok, I'm reaching with that last one....

What do you mean we have no idea? Anybody who can read sheet music knows exactly what they are. In fact John Takis said in the post right after the one you quoted:

"10m1 Insert 3" is the Indy B-theme

"10m1 Insert A" seems to be an alternate version of the aforementioned passage surrounding 0:43-0:53 -- the distinctive brass fanfare is definitely there.

What do you mean we have no idea? Anybody who can read sheet music knows exactly what they are. In fact John Takis said in the post right after the one you quoted:
"10m1 Insert 3" is the Indy B-theme

"10m1 Insert A" seems to be an alternate version of the aforementioned passage surrounding 0:43-0:53 -- the distinctive brass fanfare is definitely there.

Wow - I'm not having a good day. Sorry.

I can't read music too well, either. But it should be interesting to hear these two cues. Let's hope someone can do that!

Thanks Jason

By the way ~ the film ending to "death of Kazim" as Indy rides off ends earlier than the bootlegged cue ("The other jones"). Was that done editorially?

Insert A is 14 bars, - much closer to the 12 bar film ending (Fix for bar 65) - but Mr. Takis seems to imply that it would replace an earlier insert which was only 6 bars. As I said, I can't read music well enough to answer this question myself.

Could the 14 bar "Insert A" be the bootlegged cue ("the other jones") and the 12 bar "Fix for Bar 65" could be the slightly shorter film ending of the cue?

No, the ending was indeed shortened editorially.

The other fanfare can be perfectly inserted at bar 65, the notes correspond, and it's pretty obvious from the sheet music where it should go.

One question I did have when editing this is whether or not at the ending, the second fanfare was meant to return to the original piece for just a few measures; I seem to remember there was a possibility to do this, and the piece may have been written for that too, just like the first insert. I left it like it was though, the sound quality is too jarring, and the fanfare is a nice ending in itself, and it's only an alternate of course.

Its easy to rename threads if that happens

But since no sheet music less than 12 years old has leaked I'm not too worried :(

• 2 weeks later...

So I was going to put together a Finale mockup of the original opening of "Down the Snowbank"...but I'm realizing now that the first page is missing! :lol: Is this the case with everyone's copies, or did my file somehow get screwed up?

Yes the file we all have just starts on Bar 5. The original opening was probably never recorded, they probably just recorded the revised opening with the full piece