Indiana Jones trilogy - Cue Titles and fan-made recordings

Jay

If you notice they wrote the cue title directly on that second page that starts with bar 5. There could be no existing copy of the original first 4 bars, they might have just thrown that page out. Who knows.

That's a good point. I'd forgotten that the pages after the first generally just have the cue number, not the name. Man...in the words of an icon, "the world may never know." :)

- Datameister, studying the crazy string writing over that awesome horn (and oboe?!) melody.

I'm working on some Kontakt scripting that enhances the realism of synthesized playback from sheet music. Based on note durations and score articulations, note envelopes are produced which are based on published studies of real performance methods and envelopes. For instance, most of the time in synth renditions there is no decay before the end of a note when the next note is tongued. This can take care of that and make the sound much more natural. Also, rising notes have an earlier peak than falling notes. This will be in there as well.

When I am finished with my scripts, I will enter some of this sheet music and assign the note lengths to each note (this is done with the only available polyphonic note on message, velocity) since the envelope needs to be triggered at note start), then we will hear how it sounds.

As for any crazy stuff in the Fryer cue, it is possible that scripting can help there too, with certain x factors and randomness indicated in the score.

Jesse

I wish Human Playback didn't screw so many things up in the process of fixing so many other things. =/ I mess with the settings a lot, but it's still never perfect.

EDIT: 10m1 Insert 3 is nearly done - I should have it up within an hour or two, I would think. It's a very, very straightforward statement of the Raiders March B theme, but as I said, interesting nonetheless.

There we are. 10m1 Insert 3, for your (brief and not entirely groundbreaking) listening pleasure. =)

I've now got Insert A in the works as well. No Raiders March, as far as I can tell. The first page is light stuff that could almost be called playful if not for the fact that it's in a minor key. Hopefully I'll finish this one tomorrow or the day after.

I finally got down to downloading Audacity to work on the pitch corrections. Johnny Boy got most if not all of them figured out, but I don't recall what he used to fix them. I'm assuming Audacity would work, but he's got the differences written in cents, as opposed to the necessary percentage. Does anyone know how to figure this out?

Audacity's "speed change" filter is indeed perfectly adequate for the task. I can't help with converting the cents to percentages, though. I just figured out the values for myself, based on the DVD speeds.

EDIT: And here's 10m1 Insert A! I actually didn't have to do, like, the second half of it, since those two pages seem to be identical (or almost identical) to what was already part of 10m1. If you listen to 10m1 ("Death of Kazim"), it should be pretty obvious when this fits in. I just tried editing it into the actual recording, and it's fairly seamless.

Thanks! =D EDIT: And by the way...I heavily approve of your recent listening choices, according to your sig. :sleepy:

By the way, while I appreciate joey225's effort in getting 10m1 Insert 2 together back in November, I do want to point out that the DVD rip of that passage is 100% clean. I mean, there isn't the slightest hint of a sound effect, and the sound quality is quite good.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A member here who wishes to remain anonymous has created these 3 new Temple of Doom mp3s for us using Finale 2008. Check them out!

Comments are encouraged!

A member here who wishes to remain anonymous has created these 3 new Temple of Doom mp3s for us using Finale 2008. Check them out!

Comments are encouraged!

Awesome!

I love the synth instruments...if you could find out which ones they are Jason, please let me know!

The "Entrance..." one sounds great, but it has some rhythmic issues. The sixteenth-note triplets are rushed a bit. Also, the figures in measure 4 (upper WWs) should be dotted-16th-32nd figures, not straight-16ths.

(This is me being picky, and I only know that one cause I did a demo myself. They really are great mock-ups!)

• 4 weeks later...

Jason, in another thread you were talking about a looped segment in the Raiders March, could you elaborate on which versions that segment is looped?

So Datameister.... how's Willy In The Fryer coming along? :)

I haven't been working on it. =( It's just too difficult without the ability to plug my keyboard in and do direct MIDI input that way. Too many passages involving random notes and weird techniques and so forth. (I have, however, been carefully inputting "The Cave"/"The Idol Temple" from Raiders into Finale, not for the sake of creating a sound file, but simply so that there's a much cleaner and more legible score for it. It's turning out pretty well...I think I might tackle "Discovering the Script"/"The Map Room: Dawn" next.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, the anonymous contributor who gave us those 3 temple of doom midis a few weeks back has returned with a whole new mp3 for us to enjoy:

3m2a Alternate Beginning / 3m2 The Child Returns

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TTBA85VT

Every single Instrument from the cue sheet from Williams is in that cue...

A full strings ensemble with Violins, Violas, Cellos and Basses and huge French Horns complete this track in the last 25 seconds...

A real Sitar plays with the Concert Flute the Slave Children March at the beginning and a male choir is included in the Indian percussion part in the middle...

The Midi works good with the tracks from the new Cd Set.

This Version is uncut and in the last Bars is an unreleased part with great 4 French Horns !!

Enjoy!

It's nice!...the ending is a bit flubbed ..,but still excellent for a fan made MP3

Wow that's one great cue left off the Indy set

PS: My wish for the last 10 years is that someone who can do these type of arrangements can do the unreleased CELEBRATION FANFARE

The ending didn't sound any different to me than any of the other cues for the film that were written to segue into the next cue

Quite good yes, for a midi.

By the way, Jason, could you elaborate on which versions of the Raiders March from Raiders have a looped section?

It would be cool if we could use that midi as a model for tempo and have someone notate out the prominent section or soloist lines and some of us instrumentalists could record them to be edited in.

Quite good yes, for a midi.

By the way, Jason, could you elaborate on which versions of the Raiders March from Raiders have a looped section?

I thought the version constructed for the OST (and later used in the Concord) had a looped section. I could be wrong

The DCC version is loads better than that version, at any rate

Actually ,if you delete 2.24-2.28 in that MP3 it sounds like the film version

Edit: With that part removed and edited into Short Round's Theme without the fade out it sounds decent enough to add to the c.d. until something better leaks.

Okay...

Here I am... I worked for months on this Tracks

I am not a Musican and the Mockups are not perfekt... the notation articulations from the notes are Hyroglyphs for me... but the result of this work are not so bad... :P

I mix this week or next the film version from the 2m4 cue.

The follow cues are still in a work-progress:

-5m2b Exchange of Glances

-The Slave Children Insert ( Indy Theme at the end )

-5m2a The First Supper

-5m3x The Emperors Entrance

-1m6a Once in a Vial ( I search a good sax VSTi for this )

-1m3 Anything Playoff ( Very short but a very very haevy cue !!! )

-9m2 Willy in the Fryer ( I am not sure but this cue is for a profi.... When this exist in a better Notation or everyone has this as an Finale MUS. File... I will make the Instruments with my software... )

Help for everything to make this genial music better are welcome...

I respect John Williams work. He is the greatest ! This music for Temple and others too, is an copyright work from him...

This Midi mockups is a pure fanwork from me !! I have a great time after a hard Workday in my Business... I can relax with this work... sometimes with problems with the Harps not so... :)

Greetings

Chris

P.S.: Thanks Jason for posting my stuff and your good words :P

Mr Anonymous revealed! :)

No problem Chris, and thanks for all your hard work. These midis are great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is a little update ...

The Filmversion of " Slave Children" ends with a short Indy theme played by a flute and a Harp... its an " Insert "

I have this little Indy music as a midi mockup for you !

http://rapidshare.de/files/47233757/Slave_...sion_2.mp3.html

More tracks in the next day`s

Chris

Hi,

I made this Movie-version of the Indian Village track...

It ends after the women choir fades out and a few indian percussions are not in this version... I have fixed the strings in this version with better harmony!

2M4 The Indian Village

And here is the full version from John Williams

Jason post this version the last week...

Here is the new version with the new strings harmony and the "shakers" at the end of the track.

The sitar and the Glocks are a bit different and the gong is not so big :huh:

My personal vavorit midi track in the last month. I hope this one or any others from the unreleased stuff are in the coming Indy game this summer... ;)

2M4 The Indian Village full extended Track

Have fun

Chris

Hey Chris!

I finally had a chance to listen to your latest files! They are excellent!

The Emperor's Entrance is great, and seems to be a little longer than what's even heard in the film!

And your new version of The Indian Village is also great! I'm really amazed at how much it sounds like the real thing!! It was also interesting to compare to the other midi you made of the film version, interested they had to shorten it and change things around a little bit.

Keep up the good work!

Hi,

thanks Jason.

I fix the french horns in the Emperor`s cue... it was not in the correct Noteation at Bar 9 to the end...I will post it in the next time...

I have a question about the Notation from Williams: He has sometimes a litte A2 over the lines... by woodwins and Brasses What is that ?? :lol:

Greetings Chris

Hi,

thanks Jason.

I fix the french horns in the Emperor`s cue... it was not in the correct Noteation at Bar 9 to the end...I will post it in the next time...

I have a question about the Notation from Williams: He has sometimes a litte A2 over the lines... by woodwins and Brasses What is that ?? :lol:

Greetings Chris

That will generally come up after a solo passage to indicate bringing in the whole section.

Shookbaer!

I love Indian Village Full Extended Version 2

The only spot that re-working is the "strings" from 0.39 to 0.44 , the harmonies or notes aren't quite right.

Hi,

haha.. you have good ears... :sleepy: I fixed them today but before I can post it again I will fixed them completly with the help from Jeremy in the next days

The same for The Child Returns... there are tiny faults in there...

Its a honor for me that you put this files in your edit...thanks

greetings

Chris

• 2 months later...

Only having just recently been pulled back into this, I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I've been trying to study the score since I got it saturday and so far, I'm overwhelmed. It's so much! And I mean that in the sense that... when I made my set...I had 12 tracks, and already had 14 tracks of alternates lol!

Anyway, I wanted to post a video to youtube showing a short clip of where I think "Exchange of Glances" goes... if you look, it's slate number is 3m2b...which seems to imply it's an insert... my thought is perhaps 3m2a was composed first... and latter they wondered if the shot where the maharajah looks to his emissary should have music, so williams wrote something that ended up not being used.

Someone had already made a synth of it, but I sped it up to sync with the beat of the music and the cut of the film (allowing for changes in the performance).

I also plan to post a video showing the original Sacrifice sequence based on williams own notes in the score.

Anyway, here's the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiEcRnnGBPk

Nice to see you here again, GoodMusician.

That movie is interesting; good thing that music wasn't used though.

It really draws too much attention to the scene's importance.