Indiana Jones trilogy - Cue Titles and fan-made recordings

Jay

You have to realize... Williams doesn't click a metronome and say "go" he conducts the orchestra...meaning it's gonna ebb and flow throughout... so it may be fast in the opening, and slow at the end or vis versa... Also, each take is gonna be different, sometimes in one take they'll get to one part faster than they do in other takes.

For example, almost every take they put on the box set is not the take used in the film. I've tried layering them and almost none of them fit right.

This is for a few reasons.

1) Comparing from two reel to reel recordings... ie: non-set times on stretchable medium. THey aren't set in stone... so they could be the same performance but due to stock strain to the film in certain areas, it'll eventually not fit. OR, they might not have transferred to the digitial at the right speed. Some of the cues are slightly out of pitch and I've had to adjust for that. This is also a case.

2) The film has micro edits, syncing the music to the film in the intended fashion, while still keeping the authenticity of the performance. Becuase the performance didn't match up quite right or there have been changes to the film itself, the music has to be adapted around that.

3) They are different performances. I've had cases where most of a take will fit and then the end wont. Again, this could be because its a different take. Williams has to hit certain "moment" but between those moments, especially in this era of "One Piece" action cues that are more thematic and don't always have to fit up exactly right, he'll play with the tempo a bit and let it be more real.

So what you might try is if you can get each area to match up with the film, simply edit them all together in an editing software once you've exported it, and then you'll have the cue close to heard.

As far as wishy washy in water music, it's either that or pure synth which as greatful as I am for what you've done, it's still synth lol... Just thought I'd try :-p

...it`s not synth !

The Software use real Instrument sounds. They are recorded in a great concert hall in different articulations ( not complete... )8DVD`s with 15 GB

the only synth sound is my piano... ;)

About the timecode... I have a solution!

The metronomnumber can change when play! I try it yesterday on the Evil Potion cue and it works great ! ( it starts with 110, than 93, 83,80,67,62,67,68 and 55 at the last two bars and sounds good !)

I will try it on the speech cue ! the very slowly beginning to the fast end ! :cool:

Greetings

Chris

I fix the tempo/time problem in the "speech" cue and it sounds better yet !

The new version contains the small insert at the beginning with a tiny indytheme... ;)

The new choirs at the ending sounds great !

when you wish, I can mix the orchestra and the choir separate... :cool:

About the percussions... I think that the first part is looped !( In the Movie ! ) I mix them as the film version but the tempo of the percussions is here a little to fast... ;)

Mola Ram`s Speech Filmversion

I could swear at the end of page 5 there's a repeat sign and one on page 6 (although that could just mean the measures are the same again), but it doesn't really show what measures to repeat and the version in the film seems to repeat different measures.

My only thought is they either edited it, or, while performing it, williams changed which measures to repeat on the spot since it already seems written in and is an unusual way to go about writing the cue if that's what he intended.

I have finished my last midi mock up this year... :(

8m3 The Evil Potion

The Track is very hard and the choir is heavy ! :(

I use some little choirparts from the DVD Rip and mix them with my mock up... The result is fantastic!

It contains not unused material.

Have fun with it

Potion

In the next weeks I will fix the tempo in all my midis and complete the first supper cue with the last part and the exchange of glances... :)

Chris

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

many month are gone and I try from time to time my midi`s make better... I understand the Orchestrations from Maestro Williams better and my Finale software works good !

I change and fix my Child returns mockup in the last time and here is the result:

In the first one my french horns and the strings section works in desharmony... I was never happy with that! And it was to long and to slowly !

The correct timepitch and a slight different instrumentation and the original percussions works fine and in my opinion better as the last midi...

It`s the extended version of the cue and runs 2:31 min.

The Child Returns

I use this cue in my edit and I waiting the next years for the original recording..... :lol:

Greetings

Chris

With you music experts at hand, I have a question.

I don't have any high quality samples at all for pizzicato contrabasses, but I want to do a piece that requires them. Would it make any sense, or would it sound adequate, if I took pizzicato celli and artificially transposed them down an octave?

Hi,

many month are gone and I try from time to time my midi`s make better... I understand the Orchestrations from Maestro Williams better and my Finale software works good !

I change and fix my Child returns mockup in the last time and here is the result:

In the first one my french horns and the strings section works in desharmony... I was never happy with that! And it was to long and to slowly !

The correct timepitch and a slight different instrumentation and the original percussions works fine and in my opinion better as the last midi...

It`s the extended version of the cue and runs 2:31 min.

The Child Returns

I use this cue in my edit and I waiting the next years for the original recording..... :)

Greetings

Chris

Well you keep improving it for sure. The strings still sound a bit fake but it's pretty good

yes, the strings sounds a bit fake... but I can`t do it better... sorry !

The samples are from EW Quantum Leap Symphony Gold Library... they sounds good but in a special notation like the Tremolo`s in Bar 20 / 21 they sounds midilike... :)

An dieser stelle eine kleine Bitte an den User gkgyver :

Ich verfolge mit großem Intresse dein Moonraker midi projekt in dem Commander Bond Forum... Leider gelingt es mir nicht mich dort zu registrieren !

Auch sonstige Kontaktaufnahme ist mir leider nicht gelungen. Ich würde dir gerne meine Hilfe in jeder Art anbieten was die Instrumentierung ( samples ) angeht.

Da du laut Forum aus Bamberg kommst, müßtest du diese Zeilen hier ja lesen können ;)

Bitte melde dich doch mal bei mir unter schookbaer@aol.com

Auch dein pdf zum Highjak cue würde mich Interessieren, komme aber ohne login da nicht ran. :huh:

Sorry for the offtopic

greetings chris

Hey schookbaer! Danke für das gut klingende midi!

Kannst du mal Takt 16 überprüfen? Für mich sieht das so aus, dass die erste Violine auf Schlag 1 nur ein e'' spielen muss.

In der Aufnahme klingt aber eine Dissonanz an dieser Stelle.

Ja ,du hast recht !

Ich werde das in den nächsten Tagen "ausbessern"...und in meinem Post den Link auswechseln, also nicht nochmal neu posten.

Ich werde aber bescheid geben.

Danke für das Lob :)

Ich denke aber das das noch nicht das ende der Fahnenstange ist, ich arbeite in den nächsten Monaten noch an der Phrase der Streicher zum schluß und den Tremolowechseln... das

sind die Sachen die mir noch nicht so gefallen.

I think this is a really cool idea to make these midi's! Great work on 'The Child Returns.' I would love to hear the others if they get uploaded again. Cool stuff!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I work in the last month on many cue`s...

in all the mockups the strings sounds fake... ( a bit :rolleyes: )

I make all of my midis new and I use a new samples Library from La Scoring Strings !

With this samples I can create real Divisi sections of all Instruments and the result is fantastic !

Work on progress :

Temple:

The Indian Village ( 10 % )

The Child returns ( 85 % )

Crusade:

Sinister Visitor ( 95 % )

The Holy Grail ( 90 % )

Discussing the Book ( Original ) ( 85 % )

Elsa`s Batrayal ( 90 % )

Discussing the Book has a Brass Part from Bar 25 - 27 ( The Nazi fanfare ) I can`t make this! :eh: The Brass is in disharmony (it sound terrible)

my question to the Notation cracks here on this board:

Have this brasss section a special Key Signature ?

Please can you listen and tell me what I must do... :blink:

I work with French Horns in F and Bb Trumpets

This sheet Notation incl. a snare drum part in this Fanfare. In the film version it`s nothing... But it sound realy good! I will mix them in the track !

Results and a first listen next week to Christmas :rolleyes:

Greetings

Chris

Discussing the Book has a Brass Part from Bar 25 - 27 ( The Nazi fanfare ) I can`t make this! :eh: The Brass is in disharmony (it sound terrible)

This sheet Notation incl. a snare drum part in this Fanfare. In the film version it`s nothing... But it sound realy good! I will mix them in the track !

Greetings

Chris

No it should actually sound fine. if we take a look at the first eighth note in bar 26, of every wind instrument involved we have:

BCl A

Hn1,3 a

Hn2 e

Hn4 A

Tb1 a

Tb2 e

Tb3 A

Tub C

so you get an A-minor chord with its third (c ) in the bass - in german einen sog. Sextakkord

The onlything I guess that could make sound it wrong is, that you forgot to transpose the F-Horn and the Bass Clarinet

F-Horn sounds a 5th lower than it is written (written e1 = sounding a) and the bassClarinet a 9th (Octave+ major 2nd, written b = A) lower

I guess if you forgot it/or did not recognize this here, you should check all of the transposing instruments that are involved in the cues you sampled.

I remember that you made a great Bridge Insert sample last year, that had the same mistake in the horns, at first.

Hi MissPadme

Please let me know in german...can you tell me this via Email or p.m.? :rolleyes:

if this is correct I must change everything of my brass in all of the cue`s! :cool:

Chris

Crusade:

The Holy Grail ( 90 % )

Elsa`s Batrayal ( 90 % )

Hey Chris...

You know that all of these Crusade cues are available right? They weren't on the Concord set, but we have all these cues on the bootlegs that came out in the late 90s....

Well, the ones digitalfreaknyc sent us weren't as bad...

But yes, the mockups Chris and others put together are always great to listen to!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

So it's a very tiny addition you may want to have, but here's something for all of you.

We're performing my adaption of "Anything Goes" from TOD on our upcoming tour and I took the opportunity to write out the "Anything Goes Playoff" for our singer to make a curtain call. I got a recording of our group playing it down today....it's a little slow for now, and one of the trumpets split a note quite gloriously, but I'll try to get a better recording when we do the show (or more rehearsals). I'm getting to conduct these so that should be fun.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6FYGI930

Please note: the band played this one single time, which is what you'll hear on the recording (if you're even interested).

I'll try to get a recording of the "Anything Goes" performance as well, although I've posted that here in the past (probably in this thread, not sure).

Thanks! Getting to conduct that stuff is nearly overwhelming. This short ditty isn't really, but the "Anything Goes" vocal feature is surreal...

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for this great recording. I've just played your recording with my software a little faster and the timing it perfectly fits with the original from the film.

I can not wait to hear it like maybe if you were there with your band rehearsed and played a few times ...

Good luck and have fun on your tour!

Regards Chris

Thanks ;)

Thanks guys...yes, it's a little slow and the balance isn't right, but not bad.

Actually, the balance is quite good, it's the movie version where it's been adjusted to sound like a club band. This one is just "flat," meaning nobody was amped or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I work in the last month on many cue`s...

in all the mockups the strings sounds fake... ( a bit :rolleyes: )

I make all of my midis new and I use a new samples Library from La Scoring Strings !

With this samples I can create real Divisi sections of all Instruments and the result is fantastic !

Work on progress :

Temple:

The Indian Village ( 10 % )

The Child returns ( 85 % )

Crusade:

The Holy Grail ( 90 % )

Elsa`s Batrayal ( 90 % )

Greetings

Chris

I hate to ressurect dead threads (well actually I don't) but,have you made anymore progress? and could you re-upload some of the finished versions of older mockups? I love your work and would love to hear more

Hi,

yes, of course, I can do.

I have worked over the New Year at 2 Temple cues and this further refined.

The Indian Village and The Child Returns. It would be a great help when you hear the two pieces before I make a post with downloadings. Then I can maybe change things and improve at last. I would then adjust the finished tracks available. I've just been working on these two tracks long and often improved, and am now at the point where it is enough! There will be no further releases. At least not from me. ;)

I have two versions each. A version in the movie, that is, cut off. And a version that is just as Williams has composed it.

You can contact me via PM so contact times.

Chris

Hi,

I do not know whether I should post in both threads, but I do it here now.

Last year I had the water! Insert posted. Many of you have offered me their help because I had trouble with it.

The last days I have replaced the music again and the result of something in the tone height corrected (equalizer).

I think it has become quite good ... ;)

11m1 Water! Insert

:music: Water! movie cut

I'm messing around with some music editing again and was wondering if there might be any better tools available than what I've been using in the past.

The program I need should be able to cut, paste and mix music as well as fade in and fade out and that's pretty much all I need to do.

Is there any programs that can put different music files on different "tracks" and only make the final merged one upon saving?

That would be pretty convenient. :eek:

Yeah, Audacity is totally free, and while it's not the most full-featured audio editing program known to man, it can certainly handle those tasks, and then some. That's where I do the bulk of my music editing, with MAGIX and Paulstretch and The Amazing Slow-Downer stepping in for various special tasks.

• 1 year later...

Btw, not sure if this has been posted before, but this seems to be a pretty good collection of all the music:

http://theinfernomusicvault.blogspot.com/2008/07/summer-of-inferno-begins-indiana-jones.html

Seems like these people spliced all the different stuff together. I downloaded TOD, and so far, I love it!

Any chance this list could be updated? Obviously the megaupload links don't work any more. Would love to hear this stuff. Thanks!

-Russ

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I should post these mockups from The Last Crusade I just made:

7m2 Insert:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9bDB6WEJVN01yT1k/edit?usp=sharing

---

On The Tank Insert 2 (with all the instruments written out in the sheets):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9T0k0RWdyam1qNUU/edit?usp=sharing

---

This is the insert with only the instruments that appear in the film (some editing is required to get the same length as the version in the film):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9YWRXc3E2UXluNEU/edit?usp=sharing

These may not be entirely accurate BTW considering my beginners knowledge ;)