The Dark Knight 2-CD Special Edition official thread (what a mouthful)

Corellian2019

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has nice presentation, I'll give it that.

Life isn't fair....

I guess so, but what does that have to do with TDK set? The fact that it's overpriced?

No, I was thinking about the prequels and other Williams scores......How long did it take for Indy? TDK isn't even out on DVD yet, is it?

I mean, this is just incredibly unfair..... ;)

No, I was thinking about the prequels and other Williams scores......How long did it take for Indy? TDK isn't even out on DVD yet, is it?

I mean, this is just incredibly unfair..... ;)

Well, it is the second highest grossing movie of all time and extremely marketable for its Zimmer action sequences, moreso than most Williams music, making it an easy choice for someone who wanted to sell such things.

But it's still unfair...

;)

It is, but it makes sense from a business point of view.

A film gets really popular, a lot of merchandise is made off of the film including soundtrack releases.

I agree their milking it for all its worth when a couple years from now the movie won't even be that popular. I didn't see nothing about the movie that was iconic to compare to star wars and indiana jones. I thought the score actually sucked, I like Danny Elfman music better when you think of batman you hear the theme written by danny elfman just like with superman you hear john williams great theme. Indiana Jones should of got complete releases we deserve it after all these years.

Hansy's first complete score release, it's a must buy!

I dunno... It seems a big disappointment to me that Disc 1 is just the Soundtrack. I'd feel better if they'd integrated the two discs. I listened the hell out of the OST and don't want to buy it again! Disc 2 better be incredible.

I think it still sad that we get a complete score for The Dark Knight before the movie is out on DVD but we haven't gotten proper intended editions for all three Star Wars Prequels yet.

I actually suspect the music on Disc 2 might just be the music from the OST resequenced and recut into film order. Just a suspicion, I don't know for sure, but it seems to me most of the scenes described by the Disc 2 track titles are musically covered on the original soundtrack. Of course there are those ripper remixes to look forward to *cough cough*.

Well, at least we'll get the film version of the opening cue on Disc 2 rather than only a nine-minute suite of the Joker's theme from the first album (it's actually the cue I'm most looking forward to :D). I wonder why we still haven't seen the track times for the new cues, though.

Complete score releases are always good news, no matter our thoughts on the score in question. It's may bode well for future releases. I hope this becomes an increasing trend.

Better complete TDK then nothing.

I would agree, except that this set is really overpriced with the first disc just being the OST. And besides, there can't be a whole lot of music left to release.

I would agree, except that this set is really overpriced with the first disc just being the OST. And besides, there can't be a whole lot of music left to release.

Someone just posted that there's 50 minutes of unreleased music. And Trent and Mark O. added the 40-page book. I think it's a fair price.

Someone just posted that there's 50 minutes of unreleased music. And Trent and Mark O. added the 40-page book. I think it's a fair price.

Consider that many releases' prise are $19 for one disc, $44 at Amazon is an acceptable price. Yet many 2CD set are only cost around $29.99, and don't forget that the Incredible Hulk complete 2CD cost only $16. Besides, the first Disc in this TDK set is not necessary as it is the same as the released OST.

That's all fine and good, but the OST should not have been included. It's misleading to even call it a 2-disc set.

If the first disc is the same as the released OST, why bother to put it in? Why not just release the second disc as a "more music", for most people who would buy this new set already bought the OST.

If they really want to release a complete 2CD set, why didn't release all the cues in chronological order? So we don't have to sell our OST in hand.

They just force me to buy the same disc for two times.

Now, maybe we have the complete score, even including every cues in the film ( I doubt that), yet we will still have to edit and assemble them by ourselves into chronological order.

It's called marketing, a way to make money!

They already had this set planned before the OST came out. I remember reading an article saying they had 4 releases planned for the score. OST, Deluxe package OST, LP, and now the Complete release.

I'm not selling my OST, it's signed by Hans and James!!!

As pointed out most of our limited editions cost half of that.

Yeah, so you take that half, double it cause it's 2-discs, and there ya go! A normal priced set. It comes with a 40-page color book! Not a booklet. A book! The package is huge.

An acceptable price would be less than the Indy collection.

3 and a half legendary almost complete scores verses one very enjoyable and apparently complete score.

3 and a half legendary almost complete scores verses one very enjoyable and apparently complete score.

When you look at it realistically like I explained in an earlier post, it's a decent price. Don't compare it to Indy, because quality of music is irrelevant, and Indy was hella-cheap for what it was. Have you considered that the Blue Box is about 3 times the price of the Indy set, yet it only has 3 more discs of music? Now look who's being overpriced, JOHNNY WILLIAMS!!!

When you look at it realistically like I explained in an earlier post, it's a decent price. Don't compare it to Indy, because quality of music is irrelevant, and Indy was hella-cheap for what it was. Have you considered that the Blue Box is about 3 times the price of the Indy set, yet it only has 3 more discs of music? Now look who's being overpriced, JOHNNY WILLIAMS!!!

Look at it this way then. I bought the Fellowship of the Ring complete collection (3 cds + DVD + book about the music/motifs + awesome case) which was a complete 3 and a half hour score with perfect presentation...for about £30. Last time I checked on amazon the TDK set was £35.

Ummmmmm.................

Speaking of old Johnny being overpriced, does anyone remember how much, say, the limited Deluxe Edition (2 CDs as well) for Home Alone 2 cost when it first arrived?

I think it was around $30.

Look at it this way then. I bought the Fellowship of the Ring complete collection (3 cds + DVD + book about the music/motifs + awesome case) which was a complete 3 and a half hour score with perfect presentation...for about £30. Last time I checked on amazon the TDK set was £35.

Ummmmmm.................

I'm not familiar with the Euro, but the LOTR sets cost around $60 here in the States.

Compare and contrast:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Fellows...8779&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Knight-Specia...8787&sr=1-2

One real problem I have atm with the TDK "complete" score is we don't know exactly what the tracks contain. If it contains all the music from the film, a lot of it may be kept as suite tracks (example: Harvey Two-Face) in the original cd, and the extra stuff is just music that wasn't there before. Or they're going to expand on the original tracks. Like will "A Watchful Guardian" be the opening of A Dark Knight with a bit of Aggressive Expansion added onto it as per the final scene of the movie? Or will it solely be end credits seeing as the aforementioned was on the original cd. Or will it be both???