Batman The Animated Series Vol. 1 by Shirley Walker and others coming from La-La Land Records

Ollie

Thanks! I was searching for "Batman" and "Land" so neither really were good search options.

I just didn't get the "Manbat" theme, because it sounded so similar to the "Batman" theme. I guess that makes sense musically, since one is a variation on the other in the real world, so the musical word follows suit. I just don't remember Manbat at all.

• 2 years later...

I had a dream last night that the rest of Batman the Animated Series got released a la FSM blue box or Ron Jones project.... I must say it was one of the few dreams I've ever had that I didn't want to wake up from... Oh why must WB music departments be so mean and keep it all locked up when MV and LaLaLand were so close getting us the FANTASTIC volume1 then pulling the plug... sigh.... Time to go back to sleep!

• 10 years later...

MV just indicated this will be back in stock in "early March" for its FINAL batch

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146835&forumID=1&archive=0

If you want this, don't miss out!

At this point all of the Batman TAS music is streaming, right?  It's really cool how WB/DC have made such a big push to make so much music available digitally (like Superman IV too).  I hope that Matessino's '78 Superman assembly eventually makes it to streaming as well. 

On 09/02/2022 at 11:03 AM, Disco Stu said:

At this point all of the Batman TAS music is streaming, right?  It's really cool how WB/DC have made such a big push to make so much music available digitally (like Superman IV too).  I hope that Matessino's '78 Superman assembly eventually makes it to streaming as well. 

Yeah, about half of BTAS is out there on streaming, it's broken up differently, the first 2 physical volumes are broke up over 6 digital Volumes with different covers, one for each disc of the first 2 physical volumes. The last two physical volumes have not been put out digitally at this point.

For Mask of the Phantasm I've only ever seen the OST on streaming.  

49 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope that Matessino's '78 Superman assembly eventually makes it to streaming as well. 

That'd be difficult to pull off - for that one, WMG owns the music rights and WB Pictures owns the music that wasn't on the OST, so it's in the same category as all the other expansions that only happened because of a third party coming in and only being granted physical rights.

Superman IV is different, because there was no OST album, so WB Pictures owns everything.

29 minutes ago, KittBash said:

For Mask of the Phantasm I've only ever seen the OST on streaming.  

Same reason as above

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder why Superman TAS only has the main/end title available streaming. 

Great question

18 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

When I said " extras" I meant the musical ones that are exclusive to the first edition.

But, cool that you got autographs!😁

Maybe I missed something but didn't they only offer the autographs on the first edition with the Shirley extras?

Did they do it again for the Vol 1 re-print they did a few years later? 

I think they might have also dropped Shirley at the piano demonstration

I thought it was kinda cool that LLL made the first edition unique.

But, lotsa fans were pissed.

Intrada did the same with BTTF

Bruce is correct, they did indeed drop both tracks

Disc 1 - Track 01 - Gotham City Overture - 14:01
- Which really if you have the sets this was an edit of character themes together consisting of 
Batman [1]

Man Bat [2]

Joker [3]
Charlie Collins [4]

Batgirl [5]

Mr Freeze [6]
Maxi Zeus[7]
Penguin [8]

Harley [9]

and Disc 2 - Track 35 - Music of the Bat - 6:45

Which is indeed Shirley at the piano explaining the different variations of Batman Themes. 

According to La La Land on the second edition pressing they said 

This "second edition" re-issue is virtually identical to the 2008 version, except the bonus tracks "Gotham City Overture" and "Music of the Bat" have been removed to preserve the integrity of the initial release

https://lalalandrecords.com/batman-the-animated-series-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

40 minutes ago, KittBash said:

Bruce is correct, they did indeed drop both tracks

Disc 1 - Track 01 - Gotham City Overture - 14:01
- Which really if you have the sets this was an edit of character themes together consisting of 
Batman [1]

Man Bat [2]

Joker [3]
Charlie Collins [4]

Batgirl [5]

Mr Freeze [6]
Maxi Zeus[7]
Penguin [8]

Harley [9]

and Disc 2 - Track 35 - Music of the Bat - 6:45

Which is indeed Shirley at the piano explaining the different variations of Batman Themes. 

According to La La Land on the second edition pressing they said 

Thanks, I guess that makes some sense, but that's not normal practice for later pressings of these kind of releases? Maybe there was more to it then that?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I really like the music of the series.

But for me it's really a slog to get through it all. It's so much and very long

I can understand that. I ended up breaking up everything into the episodes so I cold have bite size chunks over the 4 sets and pick and choose based on my mood. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.06.14 AM.png

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking of picking up some more LLL Batman CDs during the sale, but I'm a little confused about how the digital and physical releases relate to each other.  If I'm understanding things correctly, all the digitally released albums ("Volumes 1-6" with the more generic, color-coded album art) account for only volumes 1 and 2 of the LLL releases, right?  This set ends with the episode "Fire From Olympus" as far as I can tell, which is also the end of LLL's second set.  Are LLL Volumes 3 and 4 exclusive releases, then, with no digital equivalent?  Has anyone done a comprehensive catalog of what's been released where?

Long story short, I enjoyed being able to sample the sets digitally before buying, but it looks like that won't be an option with the remaining ones.

If memory serves, every "volume" of the digital versions corresponds to a single CD from one of the LLL sets. So the first two LLL sets totaling 6 CDs, that works out to 6 digital "volumes." I don't believe anything from Vols. 3 and 4 (which total 6 more CDs) has gotten a digital release -- though I could be wrong. In any case, the physical sets are definitely the way to go -- though I'm clearly biased! :)

2 hours ago, John Takis said:

" I don't believe anything from Vols. 3 and 4 (which total 8 more CDs) has gotten a digital release -- though I could be wrong. In any case, the physical sets are definitely the way to go -- though I'm clearly biased! :)

6 cd's, no?

On 22/05/2022 at 6:33 PM, John Takis said:

If memory serves, every "volume" of the digital versions corresponds to a single CD from one of the LLL sets. So the first two LLL sets totaling 6 CDs, that works out to 6 digital "volumes." I don't believe anything from Vols. 3 and 4 (which total 6 more CDs) has gotten a digital release -- though I could be wrong. In any case, the physical sets are definitely the way to go -- though I'm clearly biased! :)

Wow, I feel like I got a celebrity response!  Thanks, John!  That confirms my impression.  And fear not, @bruce marshall, Vol. 3 is now within 10 miles and a few postal workers of me.

• 3 months later...

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES 30th ANNIV SPECIAL!!! We're celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the Legendary BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES with great deals on related soundtrack titles! Note - these are the last quantities of these titles and they will be out of print once they are sold out!

BTAS VOL 1 (2-CD SET) ONLY $15 EACH

batman_tas_Web.jpg

BTAS VOL 2 (4-CD SET - less than 100 units) and

BTAS2-Cover-Web.jpg
BTAS VOL 3 (4-CD SET - less than 150 units) ONLY $45 EACH

btas3-Web.jpg

BTAS VOL 4 (2-CD SET - less than 150 units) ONLY $20 EACH

Batman-TAS-vol-4-Web.jpg

BATMANMYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN (less than 200 units) ONLY $5 EACH!

MOTB-Web.jpg

Special Offer is good now thru 9/30
ONLY at www.lalalandrecords.com

Also....

GOING OUT OF PRINT - VERY LOW QUANTITIES REMAIN! Get these now before they are gone for good!

Millennium Vol 1- 75 units

Caprica the Mini Series - 75 units

Looper - 120 units

Red 2 - 90 units

Unknown Known - 75 units

Naked Gun Trilogy - 100 units

Eye for an Eye - 60 units

The Pagemaster - 100 units

Krampus - 100 units

Arrow Season 4 - 100 units

DC's Legends of Tomorrow Season 1 - 70 units

Romancing the Stone - 120 units

Arrow Season 5 - 35 units

3 minutes ago, KittBash said:

In case anyone is wondering which episode is on which set and what tracks they are I've been working on this a bit to help. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1Ffzx-gw-KgcwIPRsj-NNw6r03Ix6WotmmTXeU5D9A/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks, that's a sweet doc!

Love Shirley Walker's stuff, but can't understand her themes......the Batman theme in what is an otherwise spectacular score (Mask of the Phantasm) is just not right. She is a brilliant composer but her themes are always off, somehow. Can't explain it:

Like in this one: brilliant orchestration, but the theme just sucks (for all you post-2000s kiddos, yes, we used to evaluate the veracity of melodies, not focus on production standards):

4 hours ago, thestat said:

Love Shirley Walker's stuff, but can't understand her themes......the Batman theme in what is an otherwise spectacular score (Mask of the Phantasm) is just not right. 

For Mask of the Phantasm I'd say the use of choir for the main theme was quite jarring and didn't really fit tonally with the rest of the score, or fit with the TV shows score especially.

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

For Mask of the Phantasm I'd say the use of choir for the main theme was quite jarring and didn't really fit tonally with the rest of the score, or fit with the TV shows score especially.

It's too early for this kind of insanity. :)At the time it came out I was thinking that I liked Walker's theme (from the TV show, right) better than Elfman's. I can't speak to if choir was used in the TV show ($$$) but it certainly was in the movies. And she was obviously following the blueprint set out by Elfman in the first place.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I can't speak to if choir was used in the TV show ($$$) but it certainly was in the movies. 

if I remember correctly, the shows had an orchestra boost post MotP, but choir was only a thing in S:TAS.