Batman The Animated Series Vol. 1 by Shirley Walker and others coming from La-La Land Records

Ollie

The Rhino set actually has more music than the Blue Box version, and the sound quality is the same. I don't care about editing or track orders.

Incorrect. The blue box has more music than the Rhino, and definitely better sound quality. Where are you getting your information from?

The Rhino set actually has more music than the Blue Box version, and the sound quality is the same. I don't care about editing or track orders.

Incorrect. The blue box has more music than the Rhino, and definitely better sound quality. Where are you getting your information from?

BlueBox.png

Rhino.png

I suspected you were, but given how often I disagree with Henry on stuff, I thought this was one issue that I absolutely agreed with him.

:(

Oh, cheer up, Henry. Honestly, you tend to be one of common sense; it's your more cynical leanings that I tend to take issue with. ;)

Koray's comparison of the Superman albums isn't valid. He's missing a track from the FSM (damn those people who share things on the net!). Also, the Rhino included "Luthor's Luau" which has been moved to disc 8 of the FSM set and the Rhino includes the full "The Flying Sequence / Can You Read My Mind" twice (with and without spoken lyrics) which the FSM does not. That would all certainly account for the timing differences, especially Koray's missing track.

What you gain with the FSM is more music and better quality.

Neil

Koray's comparison of the Superman albums isn't valid. He's missing a track from the FSM (damn those people who share things on the net!). Also, the Rhino included "Luthor's Luau" which has been moved to disc 8 of the FSM set and the Rhino includes the full "The Flying Sequence / Can You Read My Mind" twice (with and without spoken lyrics) which the FSM does not. That would all certainly account for the timing differences, especially Koray's missing track.

What you gain with the FSM is more music and better quality.

Neil

Yes John pointed it out. I have the whole Blue Box, Neil.

Anyway.

Grabbed a copy of Batman: The Animated Series of SAE, along with the 2-disc The Wind and the Lion and the remastered Dr. No for the heck of it.

You have purchased wisely.

• 2 weeks later...
There's NO reason to get the Rhino Superman instead.

I can give you close to 100. :P

Um you do realize the FSM Superman is far superior than the Rhino in many ways...not just terms of sound quality.

There's NO reason to get the Rhino Superman instead.

I can give you close to 100. :P

Um you do realize the FSM Superman is far superior than the Rhino in many ways...not just terms of sound quality.

How exactly? And I'm coming from the point of view that I do not in any want II, III or IV.

Well considering that FSM used the original master tapes to remaster the sound for the score. It completely blows the Rhino Edition out of the water. II-IV are fun to listen to on their own. The entire set is worth owning and I those who say other wise are fooling themselves.

I'd love to hear it because of the sound quality, but there's no way I'd buy it, because A: on my budget there's no way I can justify it and B: (not to beat a dead horse) but I'm not interested in the sequels outside of one or two curiousity listens. But I guess there's no chance it'll ever come separately so I'll stick with the Rhino.

If you just want Superman, the RHINO is def. your version!

I have bought the BluBox, and I regret it.. I am not interested atall in the other scores.. I have listened to them, and theyarent more than just boring arrangements of the original. I know most people get high from such thing.. not myself

but however the booklet is worth every cent.. but maybe you can find a scanned pdf. online some time

Finally people that agree with me. Charlie and Esther are right, the Rhino set is the ideal way to go for people who just want JW's music. The sound quality is not bad, and the FSM set didn't make any noticeable changes to my ears. Maybe to those that have everything in perfect audio quality like WAV and FLAC, but as mp3's there is no difference.

The FSM set has been sound quality, better sequencing, and is 100% complete. The Rhino set is not.

Not to mention that Superman 4 is a great score, and Supes 2 and 3 are very fun little scores too

Yes the Rhino is the way to go if you are on a budget and cannot justify $120.00 but as far as quantity, sound and overall quality the Blue Box beats the Rhino version by a substantial margin.

Well if you're on a budget then I kind of see a point but if you can save up for it then save up for it. It's sad to see so many speak out against the Blue Box. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

I have bought the BluBox, and I regret it.. I am not interested atall in the other scores.. I have listened to them, and theyarent more than just boring arrangements of the original.

Superman IV is definitely not just arrangements of the original, regardless of interest level. We got three Williams themes (Lacy's Theme being my favorite--gorgeous!) and some fine Courage material, including his excellent, but sadly underused Russian motif.

That's true, although I prefer IV. I'd say III has more of the arrangement syndrome than does IV, though, and that may be why I didn't think to point it out right off the bat.

I think the biggest thing that puts people off (besides the arrangement issue in II, and to a far lesser extent III and IV) is the smaller size of the ensemble. I know it took me a while to warm up to the Thorne sound, and I still sometimes have a part of me that goes, "Dang it, why couldn't they just use a full-size, hearty orchestra?!"

By the way, I just raised enough money to purchase it. Unfortunately, I am far too stereotypical an Italian when it comes to money. It takes me forever to earn it, and it takes me forever to spend it. I am not sure if I feel comfortable investing in something that will eliminate my wallet....

I try to keep my funds above $100 at all times. I dipped below that, almost to no money at all, about a year ago. That was the first time that happened to me since like middle school. By a weird turn of events though, I sprung back up in about a week.

Many have complained about the price tag but I think the $125 is worth it. Those who say "can't afford it"....bull crap it's called "saving up for it".

Not everybody has the ability to save that much money, especially if they are a student. Why are you so persistent to force this upon people, especially those that want nothing more than TMP?

Those who say "can't afford it"....bull crap it's called "saving up for it".

You seem to completely lack any basic understanding of the real world, and of other people's situations. Saving up the money makes no difference, it's spending that amount of money in the first place on a luxury when it could go on things such as food, clothing, electricity, gas, or even towards the mortgage.

By the time you've saved up for a limited edition CD, it'll probably be sold out!

Which is also a good point.

I'm not trying to angle any kind of 'feel sorry for me' deal, cause I don't roll that way. But it's effing ridiculous to expect people to just give up a lot of money for something as frivolous as the Blue Box if that money is needed somewhere else. Which is generally why I don't buy a lot of CDs any more, unless I can get them on the cheap.

The Rhino set was great back then, and it still is. It also has very nice packaging and great liner notes . Get is aslong you can for it is out of print

Superman IV has John Williams themes? you gotta be kidding... Nuclear Man theme - consiting of some glissandi, and minor chord shifting

Jermey's theme isn't a stroke of genius either. I know that people like Superman IV, but to me it gives nothing.

They should have just released Hook instead of rereleasing the Superman I music AGAIN .. I don't know, to me the rest of the set isn't really worth archivable. These score mastertapes should have rotten instead of How to steal a million

I hope for your sake that you either look beautiful or can suck a tennisball through a straw, cause with a mind like that, you ain't gonna fine a man any other way.

It's nice that you worry Cosy, but don't: I have big breasts and I play tennis

• 4 months later...

In answer to Wojo's question from the "Last Score You Listened To" thread:

Theme Starts - Character - (Section of Suite)

0:00 - Batman (0:00-0:22)

0:38 - Manbat (0:22-1:42)

1:43 - Joker (1:43-2:34)

2:35 - Charlie (Joker's Favor) (2:35-4:21)

4:24 - Batgirl (4:22-5:10)

5:10 - Nora/Victor Fries (5:10-5:44)

5:45 - Maxie Zeus/Olympus (5:45-9:29)

9:29 - Penguin (High-Class Variation) (9:29-10:43)

10:46 - Matt Hagen (Clayface) (10:43-11:26)

11:27 - Harley Quinn (11:27-12:21)

12:59 - Sid the Squid (The Man Who Killed Batman) (12:21-14:01)